So far... the deals suck...

tmc

I've done a few interviews with newspapers today and have expressed how many of you are disappointed with the ads this year, so maybe the stores will find out as these stories are published and add some last-minute deals.

Brad, I think the biggest ratings-grabber for the media (because heavens knows they don't care about anything else) would be a cage match between the Gottadeal mods and the retailer spokestwerps.

I leave out the lawyers who send out the C&D letters because they are loathsome pondscum who could be donky-punched by tots. (Note to lawyers reading this: not kidding! :cheesy: )

Anyway, what is crucial is places like this are bonding consumers together and no longer will etailers rule the day. Black Friday indeed! We will find the best bargains out there, and we may not have to stand inline at 3Am to snag them!!!

:yup:

I am pretty disappointed in the ads so far....looks like the only stop I'll be making on BF is the mall for a couple things from Penneys and Macy's....I also know that H&m is having 25% off til noon (so I can do a little shopping for myself :D ) and I am hoping that Gap does 40% off in the morning like they did last year.

Otherwise I think I can find everything on my list for the same or cheaper prices as the shopping season goes on. For DH I already scooped up the HD DVD player that Best Buy had for $99 the day that Walmart had theirs for $98...and nothing that DD wants is in any of the BF sale ads. She's only 2.5yrs, so she isn't into any of the real hot stuff like electronics or games (yet!).

Oh well...I guess that just means I'll be home to relax with my fam earlier this year ;) Plus if I hit the mall at 4AM I'll get a little exercise...my gym is closed on BF for "Shopping Day"!

I've done a few interviews with newspapers today and have expressed how many of you are disappointed with the ads this year, so maybe the stores will find out as these stories are published and add some last-minute deals.

Thanks Brad! You really look out for us. I think many of us are more disappointed because last years sales were so fantastic, plus the media has built us up so much over the last few months with their predictions of great deals & lower prices for this BF, then it didn't materialize, at least not so far. I know the stores are facing higher trucking prices,etc. but think they're using the wrong approach by tightening their reins. It's those one or two,really knock your socks off deals that gets us into the stores, where we then get caught up in a spending frenzy on other things we really hadn't planned on buying. At least that's what happened to me last year, as my cart, it did runneth over. :>)

So far I haven't found a single thing worth getting up and out for on BF. I'm looking for cameras, game systems, games and toys, but at this point I've found better deals at Amazon and other places online - particularly on the cameras and camera equipment. I'm extremely disappointed in the so-called deals on gaming systems - no great prices, just the addition of some junk I don't need or want added into bundles that cost more! I think part of the problem is the trend toward tight price controlling by manufacturers. The Nintendo DS never goes below 129, but for BF we get one for 149 with a dumb game not of our choosing added in, and maybe a scrawny store gift card. The Leapster rarely goes below $59, but Wally-world packaged it for the same price, again with a dumb game not of my choosing. Not buying it. Literally. They're going to have to do better. Especially with the price of gas - why go out?

Unless Wal-Mart has a fantasic flyer, I get to sleep in. Nobody has anything that is jumping out at me. DH and I are going away for a weekend to Christmas shop the week after Black Friday so I am hoping if they poor sales for Black Friday they might be offering some nice ones that weekend to make up for it.

I think the biggest complaint about the BF "deals" are mainly in TV prices. There are no jaw-dropping deals like we saw last year. If there were a $300 32" LCD HDTV that would bring people out. I also would be pleased with a "brand" name 32" to be around the $400 range. If there were a 42" for $500-600 that also would get people out in droves.

Maybe this just isn't the year. Last year before BF, HDTVs were not selling as expected. That led to some insane BF deals. Typically, after a year of technology improving, last year's TVs should be significantly cheaper. Of course as we all know, they are not. K-Mart is selling pretty much the same Olevia 32 " HDTV (for their thanksgiving sale) at $420 that was sub $400 at Microcenter or around ~$450 at other places last year. This year's cheapest HDTV that is 32+" is Circuit City's Element 32 " that is $400, and if you look at the feedback on this TV at their website you will see that it is HORRIBLE even at that price; it is much worse than the Olevia they were selling last year for $475!

I'm not really sure what is responsible, but HDTV prices are just generally out of whack across the board. It's like they can't figure out what the market will "bear" for HDTV prcies. And the truth is that HDTVs are still massively over-priced for the established brands. You could have a 32" HDTV for $480-850 right now depending on brand-- which is a huge differential for the same product, and that's not even a sale price. Is it worth it to pay twice as much for a Sony / Toshiba than a Vizio or Element? I don't know... But I really wish the industry would get their crap together. It's so freaking unstable right now, and as a result, there are a TON of disappointed people right now at this big dud of a Black Friday.

I think, overall, the retailers are trying to discount the least amount of money on their TVs and still bring out the crowds. I HOPE someone is reading the message boards around sites like this and will see that it's going to backfire on them BIG TIME.

I am holding out for some great last minute HDTV to go on sale like everyone else, but I'm not holding my breath.

When all the retailers see the numbers for this year's BF and see that the numbers are way down from last year, they will have no one to blame but themselves.

Well, I for one am glad--we're going to Disneyland in February and couldn't afford to spend a bunch of money anyway. There's also the possibilty my union could go on strike this year and I have an appt. for 2 kittens (Ricky & Lucy 2 reformed ferals) to be spayed and neutered Dec. 10th lol. I still plan to be at Penney's at 4 am, but I won't stand in line more than 15 minutes for that, then I'll make my rounds for early bird things here and there-- if there's still stuff in stock good for me-- if not oh well. Would be nice to be back for the Macy's parade ;-) The main thing we were wanting this year was a camera and thanks for the advice of very knowledgeable mods already got a 'rockin deal off Amazon. Not waitin' for Walmart as I haven't stepped foot in there for at least 3 years for moral reasons.

I'm pretty miffed about the lack of good deals on Season Box Set DVDs. Right now, BB is selling Smallville, West Wing & I think The Office at CC BF prices! I was hoping that Alias, Lost, 24 or some other shows I like would be availble for 15-20. And whats up with nobody doing FAR stuff (Thumbdrives, mp3 players, CD/DVD-R)?

So far my plans for Black Friday.....Get up.....boot up....shop...drink some coffee....and whine to my DH because ALL THE DEALS SUCK! I have only found one or two things that my little girl wants and the prices aren't even THAT great......booo hoooo :bigcry:

I agree with you! Athough I've not found the best deals on the BF ads, I will still stand in line and shop because no matter what, I still enjoy the "thrill of the hunt". So even if I only buy 3 things, it will still be fun for me. Heck..I might be surprised if the stores offer "secret" items for sale.

This is the first year I will sleep in as of 2003:eyepoppin. Whilst the deals are not the greatest, I did want to get a 22" LCD. Thankfully, Target does price adjusting for Black Friday so I simply went there and put it on a credit card and am awaiting a price adjustment on it come Black Friday. I still have to go out to get the adjustment, though that can happen on Saturday. Good to know I can sleep in this year:tired:. Will go so well with the Compaq SR2039X I got at BB last year:D.

so far I have been doing alot of shopping on E-bay. Yea I have to pay for shipping but I still find good deals and I dont have to drive anywhere to find them. As for BF I am waiting on 3 places. Walmart of course last few years I have allways found something here that I wanted. Menards which is a hardware store and other stuff last year had a SUPER deal on big jar candles and hopefuly a similar deal this year and Rural King which is big around here they have lots of john deer stuff Clothes and toys and my Husband and FIL Love John Deer stuff so Hopefully I can find a good deal there on something for them. But thats it for me. Once I see what they have I will look over penneys and kohls again to see if there is something there I really want or can I wait and avoid the early rush. They are a further drive than walmart so it all depends on what I find good at walmart this year.

Well, I for one am glad--we're going to Disneyland in February and couldn't afford to spend a bunch of money anyway.

I for two am glad 2 because we just got back from Disneyland Nov. 4th and I don't have a bunch of money left to spend! My credit cards are safe and my kids will deal with what they get.

I wasn't even impressed with the grocery store before T'gvg sales either this year and I usually find a lot of deals then.