So far... the deals suck...

tmc

Sears is the only impressive one to this point. The Macy's 10 off 25 could have some mileage too.

Walgreen has been a stop in years past, there is nothing this year to buy though.

We spent 75% of our BF money last year between Kohls and Meijer. Extra bucks were used at CVS. Until those 3 ads break, I am not going to call this year a bust yet.

Ofiicemax,m has the GPS on sale for 99 dollars,

The HD-dvd for 100.00 was good, but doesn;t play DVD pluss, so no use to me.

Best price i have seen on that model. I am looking forward to seeing the Bestbuy ad myself.

Hopefully it will come out soon!

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/LOL/laugh3.gif People won't be happy unless the items are free!

Gottadeal created that monster ;) I get so much stuff for free or nearly free from this website that I hate to pay for anything anymore. I am half way done with my shopping and yes alot was nearly free or free thanks to here. You guys have us spoiled I guess. :)

I have thought about this a lot, and I figured out that the places I went to last year, and the places I will likely go to again this year have not leaked yet. So therefore, I probably feel these suck because there is so little that interests me in them. I was hoping officemax was going to be different, but it had minimal door-busters, and even those seemed only about $10-$30 off normal low prices. I may be spoiled, but I want the equivilant of some of the deals of last year. (i.e. 21" wide screen LCD computer monitor for $179 when it was normally about $339), so this is not doing it for me yet.

I was a bit disappointed in the Macy's ad this year. All of our Hecht's converted to Macy's over the summer so we've all been looking forward to the Macy's holiday shopping. Hecht's was always an early stop for us but Macy's ad really wasn't that impressive. I'm sad the Hecht's is gone :(

I don't think that the ads are that bad. Sears has some good deals on items that I need to get. Also Old Navy has deals on clothes. But, I am still waiting on Target, Meijer, JCp and TRU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be online to get deals and I can't break tradition, I will be out on BF too!!!

Guest Metallion

I think part of the problem is people have made the wrong assumption. They have assumed in a time of a bad economy that stores will offer great deals to get us out to shop. The truth is the opposite. The retailers are in the business to make profits, and they don't make profits off the door buster items. They know in the times of a poor economomy excess spending money is very limited for most people, therefore the large price items won't sell. Therefore discounting them to get people into the store hoping they will spend more money then they planned is not a good idea.

Think back, when were the best black friday sales and goody bags? When the economy was at it's best. It's not great now, and therefore the deals will be very average. Savings will be in the 20-40% range and on items below $300 this year in this economic climate. Not the 50%+ on items over $500 we see in good economic times.

The fact that Office Max did not have a good sale on either a desktop or laptop computer should be a very scary predictor to those hoping to find great computer sales this year.

Well, this year, I don't really need anything electronic. I'm looking for clothes and purses. I am hoping that TJ Maxx has a purse deal. I do want some cheap dvds though. And if everything falls through, I will always hit up the mall.

Not all the deals are bad... Just nothing mind blowing yet. Retailers seem to have caught on that it doesn't really matter how good the deals are. People will still come out and spend their money.

I dunno, overall sales increase due to the fact that we still have a population explosion (legal and non-legal people) and they MUST eventually spend money sometime & the holiday season is usually when the bulk of it happens. All I'm saying is it may be disappointing for quite a few chain stores who are expecting some good numbers based upon the ads so-far. Maybe high gas prices, and other increases in the cost of living haven't come to turn you into a complete grinch this holiday season but Mr. Retailer is under pressure to make sales at prices which have a blaring RED STICKER stag-flation / inflation is here this holiday season.

I reiterate my observation that the brick and mortar (B&M) retailers have got loads more price chopping to get done in order to push people into those 4-6am lines this holiday season as the ONLINE deals have been 20-60% cheaper than the physical stores. This is what makes the black friday deals look like price parity... not a DOOR-BUSTER deal.. just the same of what you probably could have gotten by mail with FREE shipping and in many cases NO SALES TAX (and NOT WAIT FOR BLACK FRIDAY EITHER). Traditionally, the deals have been better than online retail but this is not the case (SO-FAR). One analogy would be the kind of disparity between pay per day rental service / vs Flat-Fee netflix dvd rental business. One is killing off the other somewhat until wholesale change happens and only the big box stores like walmart, costco, bj wholesale and a few others are left. Some retail pain is going to happen & stores are going to CLOSE this holiday season, you can mark these words down. If one looks at what happened in years past with Kmart and Compusa.. that will hit others like Officemax, Staples, and a few others too. A big halo is hovering over Toys-R-Us with the lead paint problem. They deserve to be hurt (along with Walmart) for not doing more to keep bad products off shelves BEFORE it becomes a problem, not after children are contaminated.

I don't think they're that great yet. Sears was ok, and Target had some dvds that I want. But right now I won't be camping out overnight. I'll just get up and stroll in around 5. Unless of course BB has some great deals, which is where I usually camp anyway. Bring on the electronics! :)

I agree so far the deals all suck and i just seen kmart and target not much better everything is still expensive and you can find the same deals on sale now why bother going out in the cold morning.....still waiting on menards and hopefully walmart will be worth it:mad:

I dont know what to think. Maybe I dont have a good list from the girls yet, but I wass not impressed until Target came out Thursday...

And then I realized, theres very little at Target that I want as well...

I dont know what Im looking for, I guess, is the problem. I know I wont be getting the aquadots at Target (after they recalled it today...)

I'll take a look at LNT and maybe get some new sheets... Geez... I <HAVE> to go out on BF, right...?!?!? :)

jason

I dont know what Im looking for, I guess, is the problem.

Yup, thats my problem exactly. (I think)

The kids havent given me any clue as to what they are wanting, so i'm

kinda wingin it till I know for sure. Either that, or Its gonna be a

skimpy xmas for them. LOL Which probably wouldnt hurt them.

I think part of the problem is people have made the wrong assumption. They have assumed in a time of a bad economy that stores will offer great deals to get us out to shop. The truth is the opposite.

And this then becomes a self-feeding cycle. No great deals mean that people stay home on BF. Based on what I've seen so far, there is nothing that will get me out before 6:00 am. If BB and CC don't come through, I'll be enjoying a nice turkey dinner, watching the Cowboys spank some other team, and getting a good night's sleep this Thanksgiving instead of lining up in the cold. If I can't get a 22 - 24" monitor for a great price, or a 42" HDTV for $500, it isn't worth the hassle. BUt that's just me

I dunno, overall sales increase due to the fact that we still have a population explosion (legal and non-legal people) and they MUST eventually spend money sometime & the holiday season is usually when the bulk of it happens. All I'm saying is it may be disappointing for quite a few chain stores who are expecting some good numbers based upon the ads so-far. Maybe high gas prices, and other increases in the cost of living haven't come to turn you into a complete grinch this holiday season but Mr. Retailer is under pressure to make sales at prices which have a blaring RED STICKER stag-flation / inflation is here this holiday season.

I reiterate my observation that the brick and mortar (B&M) retailers have got loads more price chopping to get done in order to push people into those 4-6am lines this holiday season as the ONLINE deals have been 20-60% cheaper than the physical stores. This is what makes the black friday deals look like price parity... not a DOOR-BUSTER deal

Higher gas prices and mortgages that are adjusting upwards are two things that people have to spend their money on rather than the deals that we have seen so far. With these two items alone, I agree with you B&M stores need to do better to see people swarm their doors.

As for me, I don't care what is on sale or not, I will be at the stores early in the morning. I just realized it now, but one of the reasons I love being in the stores is I am a true morning person. I love being up and productive.:D, while others are still sleeping:tired:

Darla

Again I'm agreeing about the ads...I'm was really looking forward to Target but there really isn't anything to be excited about. Sears does look the most promising and Old Navy. I'm looking for some good get me outta bed doorbusters....maybe the TV at Sears. Hopefully we'll get TRU and Best Buy soon.

I haven't seen anything to exciting either. Some have decent deals but nothing I am looking for. Maybe I am expecting to much, or maybe I just don't know what to buy. I will still go shopping just to get out of the house but so far I will not have to leave real early or be invovled in some of the shoving matches that go on.

Suck. Kmarts is a joke. Outdated electronics for sure! I don't know what is so specail about any of the Sears items. I would bet I could find most of those items at those prices NOW. Def. not BF worthy. Def. not getting up early and standing in any line..... yet.

I'm sure there will be some winners coming out soon. Hopefully more stores are gettinig out of the rebate game too, but I would tend to think that higher ticket and computer stuff will still be rebate dependant.

What the heck are you people who are complaning that the ad sucks wanting... I mean I so far am liking the ads (especially Sears and Target)... What are you looking for to be on sale? This confuzzles me to the extreme. I mean I saw some prices like 40 to 50 % off.

I wonder that myself. Maybe it's because I have usually finished my gift shopping by BF and so far, each year, I find things I want for myself or to get a job on gift giving during the next year.

I know a few will list why they are disappointed, but a lot don't they just say they don't like the ads. I want to know what I am missing out on, what type of deals are people looking to get?

Because BF is supposed to be those special deals, not saving $5. There is supposed to be a good dang reason for us to get up at midnight, freeze our butts off, leave our family on the day after a holiday, stand in line, fight it out (never have seen this though), snatch and grab the best deals...

That's BF to me, and so far, there aren't any "oh my gosh, I gotta get up for THAT!

I agree with most of all the comments listed. I am not sure what I am expecting but it's something better than this. The 5 disk dvd player with speakers and IPOD connection at Target is good. The cheap DVD's are always good (have a 10 year old), and, of course the video games. I am STILL going to hope that there are bundle specials on PS3 - to make it more appealing. Does anyone have an good ideas about who might have that?

this sucks :mad: just looked a target, kmart. and welgreens ads and they are worthless:yuck: thoses ads were better last year with this kind off deals theres :gdno: competition for the next adds hopefully best buy, staple and walmart will come out with something better if that happen at the end they will be getting all the money and the others not:smirk:

Targets is a 2 day ad..Kmarts is for Thanksgiving Day, kmarts has such outdated electronic products it makes me think they are the clearing house for old junk. ;)

All the big stores will have bundles for PS3 and XBOX 360, or gift cards with purchases. I think we'll see best buy and circuit city offering a lot of free gift cards with purchase deals.