Stores offering WiFi?

nirvana4all

Anyone know if any of the computer stores offer unlocked wifi? I would like the option of sitting outside their store (BB, etc) in line at midnight and ordering something from WM, etc online that can only be found online.

This was asked last year, but it was very close to BF and I did not see any conclusive follow-up.

I want to know about OD, BB, CC & staples if anyone knows.

You just use the one time only paypal credit card numbers and such. Jeez guys.

Besides, I am likely to be the ony guy out there at the store with a laptop using the wifi, let alone probably the only one out there at that store who has the ability to do something like that.

Possible, yes, likely, no.

Besides, one thing I have only once had to take advantage of but know I have is 100% fraud coverage. They steal my card, I notice it on my bill, I report it, no charges to me.

As I said though I would likely be using the one use only credit card numbers.

You just use the one time only paypal credit card numbers and such. Jeez guys.

Besides, I am likely to be the ony guy out there at the store with a laptop using the wifi, let alone probably the only one out there at that store who has the ability to do something like that.

Possible, yes, likely, no.

Besides, one thing I have only once had to take advantage of but know I have is 100% fraud coverage. They steal my card, I notice it on my bill, I report it, no charges to me.

As I said though I would likely be using the one use only credit card numbers.

One word: Iphone

Well, I saw more than a few dozen laptops in front of stores last year...BB,CC, OD, Staples all had their WiFi open and usable during the waiting period prior to the stores opening. Saw LOTS of people internet browsing, etc. on lappies. You aren't the first to think of it....... ;)

Ok, must be my area then. Last year there was no one at OD with anything above a psp, and because of only 100 people in line at staples, no laptops or other cool stuff. That is why I figured that most stores probably did not have wifi or someone would have probably brought their laptops.

Thanks for the input peoples.

Probably would use this to buy anything I need from COMPUSA if they have good deals w/ cheap or free shipping on website as the closest one is 30 min from all the other stores around here-on a regular day.

Oh yeah, and to keep up to date with this web site througth the night.

I dont think hackers will be sitting in the Best Buy parking lot trying to get credit card information over the free WiFi, but I guess you never know.

If a savvy person drives by and sees people with laptops out, they may very well try to see what they can get. Especially if they see a line that is already too long for them to get the deal they wanted to get. The type of person that is likely to engage in this behavior is usually ready to go at a moment's notice.

If a savvy person drives by and sees people with laptops out, they may very well try to see what they can get. Especially if they see a line that is already too long for them to get the deal they wanted to get. The type of person that is likely to engage in this behavior is usually ready to go at a moment's notice.

Honestly, you've been buying WAY too much into the crap the news tells you about hackers and all that. To get someones credit card information the way you're saying, you would have to hangout in the parking lot, wait til someone comes with a laptop, get a wifi-cracker like aircrack, and stay there for around an hour or more until the wifi password is cracked. Even then, you would need much better hacking skills than just using aircrack to get their credit card information.

Honestly, you've been buying WAY too much into the crap the news tells you about hackers and all that. To get someones credit card information the way you're saying, you would have to hangout in the parking lot, wait til someone comes with a laptop, get a wifi-cracker like aircrack, and stay there for around an hour or more until the wifi password is cracked. Even then, you would need much better hacking skills than just using aircrack to get their credit card information.

Plus if they get your information, you're not liable for any charges.

Not to mention but even if you are on publicly accessible WiFi, if the web page you're using is encrypted, which almost every store's checkout pages are (you know, the pages with the little padlock icon in the lower right hand corner of the web browser), the hacker still would have to crack the SSL encryption.......and that's just plain not going to happen.

Usually the two biggest concerns about using a "public" AP are:

1 - Forgetting to turn off any shares you have, potentially allowing someone else on the same network to gain access to your files (this happens in hotels/airports all the time, try it one day, it's amusing, esp hotels since laptops will be left connected to the network for extended periods (i.e. all night)).

2 - Accessing non commercial sites that DON'T encrypt their logon pages with a username/password that is the same or similar to your regular username/password. Quick, without looking, is the GottaDeal logon page encrypted? Is your GottaDeal logon/password the same or similar to the same one you use at Amazon/BB/etc? In a related issue, did you forget your password and request that a site email it to you? Do you access your email through imap/pop? Is that access encrypted? For many, the answer is no.

I use our local CC's wifi all the time. If I'm standing in the store and want to check the price of something somewhere else, I use it (wireless pda, I'm not carting a laptop around with me everywhere I go). I have successfully used it on BF while waiting to get in, and have also used it in the store when I was picking up an order and forgot to bring my order number with me. I love that they have it available, and end up doing more business with them because of it. BB's wifi isn't up all the time, and so far, the one year I camped out there, I wasn't able to use it. However, this is probably just my area (central IL).