Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player - $197.99 Shipped w/ 5 Free HD-DVD Movies @ CircuitCity.com

Brad

The verdict is still out. One minute BluRay is winning then HD-DVD is winning. I personally feel that Blu-Ray is better because it offers true 1080P where HD-DVD doesn't. Blu-Ray is more expensive then HD-DVD though and with some studios only releasing titles in one format the war appears to be dragging on.

The verdict is still out. One minute BluRay is winning then HD-DVD is winning. I personally feel that Blu-Ray is better because it offers true 1080P where HD-DVD doesn't. Blu-Ray is more expensive then HD-DVD though and with some studios only releasing titles in one format the war appears to be dragging on.

HD-DVD offers 1080p as well

HD-DVD offers 1080p as well

Potential buyers should note that this particular unit offers 720p and 1080i output, not 1080p. Toshiba offers other HD-DVD models with 1080p output. People who own or are planning to buy a 1080p HDTV (like me) should probably buy a matching HD-DVD player.

Also note that the 5 free HD-DVD offer is good on any Toshiba HD-DVD player bought anywhere through Feb. 28, 2008 but is only for a limited selection of titles, so check out the details before buying.

Check the Toshiba site http://www.tacp.com/hddvd/ for details on both issues.

Gotta wait out the Blu-Ray vs, HD-DVD battle...there just does not seem to be a reason to possibly waste money...unless I am missing something

I agree. I am planning on purchasing a 1080P soon and would love the player to go with it but don't want to get caught up in the war. Remember the VHS and Betamax wars? That how I know I am old! Betamax was better quality and smaller tapes, yet VHS won so you never know!

FYI, the just-released Sears BF ad has the newer HD-A3 model for about $30 less which is a very, very good deal :)

Note that the HD-A3 model is also 1080i, but these are both great deals for people with 720p or 1080i HDTVs. For 1080p, check out the Toshiba HD-A35, HD-A30, HD-XA2, or HD-A20.;)

HD-DVD does have 1080P, but most models on the low price end are 1080i. Reading LOTS of forums and articles, most say you cannot tell the difference between 1080i and 1080P. It's like saying an HDMI cable is better than a DVi or component connections (but that is another debate). I have both and cannot really tell. My screen goes up to 1080i and they both look about the same. It's a matter of choice at this point. What makes someone choose one over the other....PRICE. HD-DVD players are going to be cheap this season. CC and Wal-mart have Toshibas for under $200 and now we find out Sears will have one for $170 on BF. Don't be suprised if Wally World comes up with a Toshiba cheaper than that, plus an 'off-brand' below $150. The cheapest Blu-Ray right now I believe is around $399. They might get a sub-$300 for BF, but who knows. Still it sounds like HD will have one at least half the price. I don't care who wins the war(I like both), but the price might kill Blu-ray.

The PS3 is what is keeping Blu-Ray afloat. Also reading the forums extensively on this subject, standalone HD-DVD players are outselling Blu-Rays however when it comes to DVD titles, Blu-Ray is winning so the war is far from over.

As far as 1080i vs 1080p I have to disagree with you. I can tell a difference when playing a Blu-Ray movie on both sets. (I had Sears set it up for me so I could see it in the store.) There is definitely a difference but it could be how different individuals perceive things. One other nice thing about the 1080p sets is that you don't get the screen door effect. I can see the effect on a non 1080p plasma at 10ft away but then again it might just be me.

The PS3 is what is keeping Blu-Ray afloat. Also reading the forums extensively on this subject, standalone HD-DVD players are outselling Blu-Rays however when it comes to DVD titles, Blu-Ray is winning so the war is far from over.

As far as 1080i vs 1080p I have to disagree with you. I can tell a difference when playing a Blu-Ray movie on both sets. (I had Sears set it up for me so I could see it in the store.) There is definitely a difference but it could be how different individuals perceive things. One other nice thing about the 1080p sets is that you don't get the screen door effect. I can see the effect on a non 1080p plasma at 10ft away but then again it might just be me.

More studios are supporting Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray can have uncompressed audio and video. HD-DVD is forced to compress some audio to fit data on their smaller disks (data storage, not physical).

Blu-Ray is outselling media 2:1 for the year and has outsold HD-DVD since inception. Blu-Ray has not lost a single week in media sales. The writing is on the wall.

Also BR is doing the 5 free movie deal as well.