what to give a young teen boy this year

copados1993

Does anyone have a good suggestion for some things that a new teenage boy would like without haivng to rob a bank LOL?? He's asked for 2 video games and a Eagles jersey. That's it. I am pulling teeth to get some other ideas. He already has a MP3 player and an XBOX 360 and Playstation 2. I refuse to buy ANOTHER game system. I know he'd like the WII, but I told him he can sell his PS2 and games and put that towards one. I'd love some ideas that are less then 40 bucks. I know he enjoys cd's and he loves to read. Are there any good books out there that are coming out soon? He enjoys books like Eragon and any kind of Non fiction military stuff. Now that he's getting to this age, it's getting harder and MUCH more expensive. Even some great stocking stuffer ideas would help!!;)

stocking stuffer... AXE (they love the smell, it makes me puke) gum, candy

clearasil..body wash...

LOL...should have been at my house for the first dance then. My son had his 2 best friends over and I took them to the dance. I walked into his room and about gagged from the AXE body spray.... WOW was it strong. I think the 3 of them used an entire spray can!!!!:eek::cheesy:

I recently did a search on a store's website for the most popular gifts for kids this age. I couldn't believe that 95% of them were in the $200 range. Do you think our parents had this much trouble buying for us at this age? Now that my kids have reached this age I'm trying to think about things that they might need for college, hoping that if I buy good quality stuff it will last.

Anyway.. my suggestions are a good board game. I've been looking into cranium, besides it'll get the whole family together.

How about an alarm clock that plays the MP3 player.

An electric toothbrush?

Don't they make tennis shoes now that are the color of your football team?

Movie gift certificates.

Start a tool set for him? Maybe a small tool box and a hammer and such.

If I think of anything else I'll check back, good luck to you, I'm sure you'll find something.

I recently did a search on a store's website for the most popular gifts for kids this age. I couldn't believe that 95% of them were in the $200 range. Do you think our parents had this much trouble buying for us at this age? Now that my kids have reached this age I'm trying to think about things that they might need for college, hoping that if I buy good quality stuff it will last.

OUCH!!! 200 dollars for one thing would make me have a heart attack LOL!! We're a military family and I am a teacher aide and I can't imagine paying 200 per item!! 200 per item is just a LITTLE out of my price range LOL!! Your ideas you sent were really great. My son would be thrilled with any of them I'm sure. I like the idea of the movie gift certificates. Any other good gift cards/ certificates that you could think of?? Girls are soo much easier IMO.:)

My DS is 16. He has not asked for much either. For you DS since he has an MP3 you could get Itunes card, maybe some videos about the different wars, rubik cube, a chin up bar

(my ds loves his) mp3 accessories (pillow, speakers,etc) if he does not have a cell phone add him to your plan or get a prepaid one. Allow him so much time a month. If I think of somthing else I'll repost

Guest JustMeDiana
I like the idea of a tool box. Maybe he will be interested in working on cars. This could be something you could add too even at birthdays.

Any college or professional sports teams in your area he is interested in? Depending on the team/arena tickets to a game maybe? Some areas and/or teams though would be way out of price range, IMO.

I have boys that will be 11 and 12 in the two-three weeks following Christmas. They are easy and know we can't afford expensive items. Honestly new games for their current gaming systems would thrill them. The sports Jersey would as well. Last year they wanted Colts Jerseys for their bdays. So we got a good deal on two and did that and then we added small things like colts watches, pencils ,etc. If he is sports minded he might like things like that. Or even framed pics of his favorite players for his room maybe?

For stockings, I agree on the axe and any other personal hygiene items that he might like. We do that, socks, sometimes boxers or sleep pants, and small things like pencils, note pads, keychains, wallet, etc.

And yes, girls are easier, we have 2 girls/3 boys.... little boys and all girls are easier than boys once they outgrow hot wheels... lol

If I think of other things I will come back but it looks like you are getting lots of good ideas!

Ok... I am the proud owner of one of these crazy preteen boy things..... I swear they change into something different with the first hint of testosterone. If they have an mp3 player and have access to internet, I recommend a gift card to download songs. Walmart has about the cheapest prices for downloads. Another crazy thing mine loved was... a hand held old-fashioned football game. Like the ones we had as kids. They sell them at Target less than $10.00. If he is into shoes of the odd nature... converse low tops, they come in all sorts of funky styles and patterns. Bought at JCpenny, Journeys, Academy, they run around $40.00. Sometimes they will be on sale at Academy. Hoodies of most any sort, we love Eskimo Joes, they are the Hard Rock of Oklahoma. They have a website and are super durable and come in all sorts of styles and shapes, less than $40.00. Odd ball stocking caps if he wears them, my son has a Harley one that I swear will rot before he throws it away. Flannel sleep pants.... JCpenny and Target has great ones with funky things on them as well as Tshirts that can be used as sleep tops that say things like.... "Will sell sister for video games". Ok... I think I just rattled off my shopping list for this year.

I also have a pre teen and he'll be getting games for his WII, he also wants posters and stuff to decorate his room, a bean bag chair, an MP3 player, and what ever I can find,..For my teen daughter, shes wants a dorm fridge for her room,..haha i think it's a great idea i'll have to buy one for college soon anyways and her room is in the basement so she wont have to come upstairs to get a drink ...she's drivin me crazy with her gifts all expensive!!

I talked to my nephew and his suggestions were; hoodies, jump drive (he said they are great for school work, music and videos), a gift card to a favorite restaurant where he and his friends hang out, a class to something he is interested in (karate, woodworking, art) and movie gift certificates. Hope this helps I have a daughter but I know buying for my nephews has always been a challenge.

My lovely pre-teen has asked for CASH. Seriously, that is the only thing on his list. Last years hits were new shoes, Star Wars lego set, cash, and for a stocking stuffer he loved the Starbucks gift card I got for him.

Wrap it with something like a Big chocolate bar, or a bag of a favorite treat. My boys like to get the big Hershey bars (like Walgreens has for $1.00 on BF) and Santa has been know to attach a gift card or a $1.00 bill when they were younger and Santa could get away with it...If they aren't into sweets, a bag of pistachios or something.

Another way to give gift cards is to wrap them in boxes, when I was younger, my father would wrap a small gift or a $50 bill in a small box, then wrap it in a bigger box and then bigger and bigger until everyone was trying to guess what it was. If he likes to read, how about a GC to barnes and noble or some other book store near you. My brother used to love Star Wars and for his birthday and Christmas every year, I would buy him Star Wars books that took place after Return of the Jedi and before Star Wars. He loved getting them. If he doesn't have a cell phone or is limited on minutes, how about putting a phone extension in his room or giving him his own number if you can afford it and buy the phone to go with it. I got my own phone line and loved it.

Good Luck

One year I gave my nephew cash and wrapped rubberbands around it to create a ball. First he had the strangest look on his face when he opened it. Then he had a great time unwrapping the layers to see what was inside when I said do you think it is only rubberbands.

I gave my neice cash buried in a container of popped popcorn. I found a cute clear container at the Dollar Tree filled it part way with popcorn, put the money inside and filled it the rest of the way with popcorn. Tied a cute ribbon around the top & put it in a gift bag. She also thought it was popcorn. When I told her there was something inside she munched on popcorn while opening her gifts until she found the cash.

For my older nephew I took one of the free AOL cd pkgs that you can get at Target and made a small slit, I put a gift card inside and taped the slit with clear tape. He wasn't sure what was going on when he opened the shirt box I wrapped it in. Then was pleasantly surprised to find the gift card.

It is really fun to see their expressions when they find something unexpected and aren't quite sure what to make of the "wrappings."

I forgot until I read some of the recent posts that when I was just starting work out of college, I needed something for my older brother who was still trying to work his way through school. I took about 20.00 in quarters and froze them in a container and then I wrapped the container and kept it in the freezer. I gave him a card with directions to the "cold hard cash" that he had requested....

I forgot until I read some of the recent posts that when I was just starting work out of college, I needed something for my older brother who was still trying to work his way through school. I took about 20.00 in quarters and froze them in a container and then I wrapped the container and kept it in the freezer. I gave him a card with directions to the "cold hard cash" that he had requested....

That's a cute idea!

I teach 8th thru 12th grade and asked them they question. There are their responses:

Axe gift sets ($10 -12 axe body spray, body wash, etc and a devil ducky)

razor set (ha ha they think they need it)

Tooth tunes ($7- $10)

Clothes

LOTS of them said this

Hoodies, hot topic shirts or any tshirt with something funny written on it, Jean (really they think a new pair of jeans is like a new suit), Cargo pants, cool caps and knit caps

New sneakers

Cool backpacks (especially one with mp3 pockets)

Real Leather wallet (you can find them for about $20)

Games

God of war ($20)ps2

Guitar hero -any of them (bundles with guitars for about $70)

Halo 3

wireless controllers

tomb raider

books

eldest (the second book in the eragon series)

wheel of time series

Werid things

a pizza/ game party for him and friends

Cube worlds

starbucks gift cards ?

limewire pro membership

xbox live membership

movie passes

a movie night gift basket

That is what about 50 kids came up with.

Thank you to everyone for all of their GREAT suggestions!!! Big Props to babymains for asking the kids she teaches!!! I think I could about thick to things on that list and my DS would be beyond thrilled. I love the ideas from people about doing cool things with gift cards also. It's funny now that he is this age, it is MUCH more expensive then when he was little LOL!!! I guess that is just a part of growing up though.;)