Black Friday Tips for Beginners

diecastbeatdown

Well I didn't really see a thread for this, so I apologize if I'm duplicating something. Please remove this if I am.

Just wanted to post something that I have found extremely useful over the years:

Save the ads to your hard drive the second they are posted.

In the past there have been many companies who decide to file law suits and the ads all disappear, of course this year we were hit early by Wal-Mart with a preemptive strike so we wont be seeing their ad at all.

Any other tips please share. I know this entire sub-forum is a helping guide for all of us to use, but I just wanted to see a general tips thread.

Not only do I save them to my hard drive, I make sure I have a hard copy of the ads with me for everyone who is going out with me on BF. A meeting before shopping is good to have to divide up the stores and shopping needs. I am willing to make two visits to a store on BF. The first is for DB and the second for items that are on sale for the whole weekend.

I believe in note cards for this meeting. It is an easy way to divide up each person's list. When my kids were little(so there was more to buy.) I would color code the lists

Traveling with groups - make sure cellphone is fully charge and is on vibrate(its hard to hear it ring esp in fully crowded malls) .

OPTIONAL Driving in a jeep (or a vehicle where items in the trunk is visible) carry a sheet/comforter/blanket that you can cover your piles of bags. :) You wouldnt want your items to get stolen.

If camping out have more than one person with you if possible. Or if not, see if someone can come take your spot a few times so you can go to the bathroom, get a bite to eat, etc.

I live where its cold usually on BF, however by the end of the first stop I am burning up. (then if you have wait time til the next store opens (ex. wal greens, sears, etc) I'm cold again. Take layers of clothes. That way you can strip off some of then easily.

Handwarmers!!! lol

I wear jeans with pockets big enough for cell phone and all the necesssary cards. No purse in the stores, but I do leave it in the trunk of my car. I usually do take it in the mall though because we are in there for a long time. But not in the early a.m before the actual "mall" opens and we are just hitting the big department stores. I also always shop with a credit card, not a with a card attached to my bank account. This way if something happens I have some protection and no one is getting into my checking account!

I can tell you make several lists before the day, I always highlight the ads, then I put where and how much on list, This comes in handy for pricematching. I also bring about 4 people that are not shopping ( my kids) they run for items i want while I am waiting in lines, They get a list of what they are in the hunt for, We use two way radios as some stores do nto have signals. We are in and out of stores in a flash this way. I know that in the past years we have gotten everything we were after and then could even go back to stores for doorbusters that we decided we wanted later if they still had them.

1. Take advantage of the GottaDeal shopping list to save your goodies. Make two or more if needed.

2. Take the ads with you to PM. Need actual ads for most stores.

3. Get your clothing in cart first to hide your real treasures. Have seen things taken out of carts too many times.

4. Wear comfy shoes. It`s the hardest workout you`ll do all year.

Hope this helps

If you have them use Credit/Debit Cards... its simpler to Charge it then go home and pay for it opposed to writing checks and using cash.... it also saves time, quick swipe on to the next store, that way you won't be dropping change and crap everywhere.......... and you wont have to loose a pen and/or borrow a pen from someone... most important to try to stay healthy, get a small hand sanitizer that can be clipped to a zipper or belt loop, wash your hand often, peoples have germs..........

That reminds me. For those of you who do not like credit cards, go around to get gift cards with amounts you expect to spend at that store. Any left over money on cards can be used for stocking stuffers, never give the store free money!

Last year Wal-Mart had alot of restarant GC at the front of the store.

That reminds me. For those of you who do not like credit cards, go around to get gift cards with amounts you expect to spend at that store.

The only problem with that is if you lose the GC you lose the money. there's no protection like with a credit card.

The first thing I do on Thanksgiving day is to make a pile of ads of those stores where I need to shop. Next, I will arrange them in order by what time they will open and what stores are closer to each other if they open at the same time. After that, I will begin to circle items in those stores and prioritize them as to what may be sold out first. My goal is to have this done by 10pm, so that my wife and I are on the road by 11pm to head to the Jackson Outlets that open at midnight. Aside from the ads and Christmas lists, it is absolutely imperative that all cell phones are fully charged when you are shopping with more than one person.

The most important thing is to make a game plan before going out. I f you are going with a group, combine your list and then divide them by department. Each person goes to a different department. Always get the most important things on your list first. Dress for teh weather. Get in line early. Be prepared for chaos....remember it is BF and anything could happen:D

The BEST lesson I have learned.. Do Not push in a shopping cart, go - run to what you WANT carry it then find a cart that someone has aboandoned. 3 out of the last 4 BFs I was pregnant, VERY 8 - 9 months. I got a space saving under cabinet tv/dvd, cabbage patch doll, razor scooter, vaccuum and dancing spiderman before I grabbed a cart to get my big item a wagon. I know it might suck to lug things thru the crowds, but I know it sucks more to not get to lug those things because you missed out.

My #1 tip for everyone: BUY EVERYTHING YOU CAN ONLINE AT BLACK FRIDAY PRICES ON WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY AND EARLY FRIDAY MORNING BEFORE YOU LEAVE!

You'll be much more productive if you can cross a bunch of items off your shopping list before you even leave the house. Especially with items that have limited quantities in store - each thing bought online means more time to get to the other items before they sell out.

More advantages: more room in your vehicle for other things you buy, less worrying that you won't get something if you've already got it ordered, and of course with a lot of stores buying things through the links here on the site helps support GottaDeal :)

Guest zsakul2
All i can say is jacket and handwarmers cause it dont matter normally where you are on bf its going to be cold nearly everywhere :)

One thing I learned a few years ago.....don't wear loose slip on shoes if your going to be wainting in a big crowd outside of a store. When the door opens the swarm goes and if your shoe comes off, good luck retreiving it.

LOL :P that's a funny image