Wal-Mart Threatens Legal Action Against GottaDeal.com

Brad

Are our numbers here big enough to make a differance? I shop less and less at Walmart. I can boycott easily, but as I was on hold I heard over and over how they"value their customers". BS!!! They need to WORK to keep me as a customer, make my life easier, not harder. I looked forward to aall ads, to buy more...not less.

:mad: I think it's just a scare tactic. "Distribution of information" as quoted in the article does not equal copywriting. They're making it sound like word of mouth equals copywriting. That's bullcrap in my opinion. So yes gottadeal should DEFINITELY not post actual ads. But I don't see where posting them in printed form, no pictures, etc. like the one that just posted from Ace Hardware, could be called copywriting. If they're so dang scared of people knowing about the deals in advance, maybe theirs should be over the top and then everyone would go there first instead of anywhere else. In my opinion, their BF ads have been crap the past couple of years (ESPECIALLY LAST YEAR) and I don't do much BF shopping there anyway. They ought to put out an early ad to make up for the last couple of years, IMO, so everyone won't assume based on history that Walmart is one of the last places they want to go on BF... :tongue1:

My local manager just called me!!! This just might be working. he asked me how soon I would like the ads out, and why I didn't like the idea of "legal action" towards sights that leaked information. i told him "we all know it is coming, they have decorations out, roll backs in place, and we are planning as well, the 1st of November sounded good to me"!!! I also told him that no action is taken against news show reports of grocery shopping ads for the week, and "what to buy where"He is going to push it up to above him, I also pointed out that if there wasn't a want for this info, people wouldn't be looking. It isn't just his competitors, but his actual customers that want this information. He said he would be calling me back with follow up!!

I don't go to Walmart on BF and so seeing or not seeing the ad is not a big deal to me. BUT I would think that stores would want their ads leaked because it is FREE advertising!!!! That is a big deal if you ask me! People get all excited and wanting to buy weeks before the actual sale. That is a great way to advertise, I think. I wish stores would just be "cool" about leaking the ads and letting us have fun with BF. Isn't that the point of this holiday??!?!

made my voice heard also...I really think that Walmart is trying to seal their coffin(so to speak) last year the whole thing with the layaway and then this stuff....I don't know they havn't been getting alot of my business lately and I think they are about to get even less from now on.....

Also going to send this out to all friends, family and bussiness contacts hope this helps!!!

I honestly feel they dont want it leaked because they know its not really good deals and if we know before hand people will make plans to go somewhere else.. I dont go there anyway, no matter what thier prices are but I think this is why.. They really dont have great BF ads in the past few years anyway compared to best buy, circuit city or target

You would think that stores would actually want their ads on here. What better free advertsing could they get? :cheesy:

They should pay Gottadeal for helping their holiday sales not threatening legal action. :)

We are busy on Thanksgiving with traveling to visit family and friends. No time to wait to pick up the paper to make a plan for BF. That is one appeal of this site for me. I get to find out early. If I am not able to see Walmarts ad before Thanksgiving, then I will just have to drive past them on my way to TARGET for BF.

Thank you to everyone who keeps calling and e-mailing them :)

But don't stop today - keep calling them every day until they change their decision. If the calls stop after today, they'll feel as if they've "weathered the storm" and nothing will get done. Your e-mails and especially your calls are making a difference!

I feel this needs repeated, Brad. I am sure they were inundated with calls/emails today, I am going to call and email tomorrow.

If i got a call from a local manager within the hour I called the 1-800-walmart, I think they are listening. I don't know what they will do, but I couldn't stress enough to the manager how poorly they are coming cross the their customers. I also brought up "free advertising" benefits, and the bottem line is profit margins. I personally spend more, when I can plan.

Well, I spent nearly 3000.00 on black friday last year at walmart. The money i spend this year most definitely will not go there. If they are ashamed of their ad, then they should kick it up a notch. there's nothing wrong with a leaked ad then walmart supplementing those ads at the door with additional items which would make them even more competitive. if walmart was smarter with their marketing, they would leak a couple items every other day or so, to keep the excitement building as well as choke out the competition. but their heavy handed tactics may backfire..........................:elmo:

Well guys/gals, take a look to what I emailed them:

In reference to the threat made against GottaDeal.com, from a customer's view I am offended that a #1 retailer has nothing better to do than to anger their consumer. I would have thought that this company would work to make their Black Friday ad better this year, than the disasterious past years. From what you don't understand is that by seeing an ad early it makes people plan to go to your store for the cabbage patch doll versus going to Best Buy instead because of the $200 computer. Personally if I don't see any vast improvements I may have to camp out at Best Buy instead of you guys. In closing, please do not tick off your consumers anymore by robbing them of their knowledge and/or deals, because if we don't get it from you then we very well will get it from somebody else. Oh, and I almost forgot, BRING BACK LAYAWAY, there are to many broke and/or poor people in the world that need it.

Well, I spent nearly 3000.00 on black friday last year at walmart. The money i spend this year most definitely will not go there. If they are ashamed of their ad, then they should kick it up a notch. there's nothing wrong with a leaked ad then walmart supplementing those ads at the door with additional items which would make them even more competitive. if walmart was smarter with their marketing, they would leak a couple items every other day or so, to keep the excitement building as well as choke out the competition. but their heavy handed tactics may backfire..........................:elmo:

WOW, what did you buy? I didn't end up going to Walmart last year because there was just nothing interesting enough to warrant the trip, in my opinion.

OK so i am seriously in utter disbelief right now reading all this! Wal-Mart must think that they truly are the only place to shop anymore. They really have the nerve to threaten GD and Brad. They must not understand the loyalty we have to Brad and this site..Well, email sent and phone call placed tomorrow....i feel a little better, but still want to throw a fit! :D Maybe we should all send WM a virtual moon :gd_shake: just to show them what we REALLY think of them. Sorry to hear you having to go through all this, Brad, but we got your back! ;)

This is just terrible. I am going to send my Email and give them a call. I do not understand what they are so afraid of. The way I see it getting the ads early help us to better plan our BF, and if the AD sucks and there is nothing that we want from it, then we will not shop at that store period. Doesn't matter how soon or how late we see the ad.

I think a PP may have hit it on the head when they said does Walmart know that their AD is not any good and so they want to keep it a secret as long as possible.

I am guessing that the ad this year must REALLY suck!

Why on earth would you bite the hand that feeds you that way! I can tell you that I shop there ALOT for convience, after this BS and threats they are giving they lost my business if they don't knock this off .

You would think they would hand it over to show how great it will be after last year with the bath robe bit!

Next on the list is a phone call.

Um ... GottaDeal.com has been the reason I decided to go to WalMart the last two years. I get to take a look, right down to the night before, and make sure that Best Buy hasn't done enough to win my dollar.

In a more information poor environment I'd just go to Best Buy because BB generally has more dependable ads on BF.