Wal-Mart Threatens Legal Action Against GottaDeal.com

Brad

Dear

Thank you for your inquiry concerning our Layaway Department. Today's consumers have several payment plan options that were not available when layaway programs were first created. Because of declining use and increasing costs, Wal-Mart has phased out layaway as the company joins most other retailers who phased out their layaway departments years ago.

Wal-Mart is also working to offer customers new payment options. We already have zero interest offers for 6 and 12 months for current Wal-Mart cardholders. And for the first time, customers who apply for a new Discover or Wal-Mart Credit Card will receive $20 cash back when they apply at the register and purchase at least $100 on their card the same day.

In regards to your issues with the Black Friday Website letter, in the past, certain websites have posted seasonal promotion advertising from Wal-Mart -- and many other retailers -- without authorization. Because these websites have not respected copyright protections and other laws, we have reminded them of their obligations under the law. Customers will be able to find the Black Friday Wal-Mart specials on walmart.com beginning Nov.19th.

what part of this paragraph didn't he understand

Being an avid walmart shopper for well over 20 years I am troubled by the things that have transpired. For the past 20 years I have done all of my Christmas shopping at Walmart, Well I do most of my shopping there. Last year I was very troubled that you had planned on doing away with Layway so that the avarage working class person would then struggle to even plan a nice christmas. I do believe in having a debt free Christmas so Credit cards are out of the question, My avarage Layways every year were between 1500-2500 as this was were all my Presents were purchased.

Even though I stated I stay debt free he still pushed his credit card and stated layaway was declining

Dear

Thank you for your inquiry concerning our Layaway Department. Today's consumers have several payment plan options that were not available when layaway programs were first created. Because of declining use and increasing costs, Wal-Mart has phased out layaway as the company joins most other retailers who phased out their layaway departments years ago.

Wal-Mart is also working to offer customers new payment options. We already have zero interest offers for 6 and 12 months for current Wal-Mart cardholders. And for the first time, customers who apply for a new Discover or Wal-Mart Credit Card will receive $20 cash back when they apply at the register and purchase at least $100 on their card the same day.

In regards to your issues with the Black Friday Website letter, in the past, certain websites have posted seasonal promotion advertising from Wal-Mart -- and many other retailers -- without authorization. Because these websites have not respected copyright protections and other laws, we have reminded them of their obligations under the law. Customers will be able to find the Black Friday Wal-Mart specials on walmart.com beginning Nov.19th.

what part of this paragraph didn't he understand

Being an avid walmart shopper for well over 20 years I am troubled by the things that have transpired. For the past 20 years I have done all of my Christmas shopping at Walmart, Well I do most of my shopping there. Last year I was very troubled that you had planned on doing away with Layway so that the avarage working class person would then struggle to even plan a nice christmas. I do believe in having a debt free Christmas so Credit cards are out of the question, My avarage Layways every year were between 1500-2500 as this was were all my Presents were purchased.

Even though I stated I stay debt free he still pushed his credit card and stated layaway was declining

I don't think he even read your e-mail. I got a very similar response back from him after I e-mailed him. They probably have about 2 or 3 different generic e-mails to respond. I really think they don't care what we have to say.

I let them know how I feel as well. I live in the Country and stores do not think we shop - therefore I do not get sale ads in the newspaper (has something to do with mileage range from their store) but we need to shop somewhere. It would really help to get the info earlier, from Gotta Deal - who I thank very much for the web-site.....

This is so wrong. I love to see the adds early so I can judge how much money I am going to spend. That way I know how much to bring. I would hate not to have enough money on my debt cards or cash. I would not want to have to put anything back.

I just wanted to add my message I sent to wal Mart

Hello I am just writing to tell you how upset I am on what you are doing to Gottadeal.com in not letting them put out the blackfriday add early. For many years I have waited for this. I can plan hoiw much much money I need to put on the debted card. Now IF I go to your store and that will be a big if. (most likely not) I will only have so much ear marked for the store if I see anything up and above what I am spending I willnot buy it. I will also be letting the others that I shop with know about this and ask them to send it on to there friends also. We might be a few but if we do not spend the money in your stores I hope you will get the point.

I will be forwarding this thread to alot of ppl once I get my PC back(wish I knew everyones email address)

I usually lurk.

But I have to say that except for some groceries, Wal-mart is not very good price or merchandise wise. I can usually find, not only for better price, better customer service, and better quality what I need at any number of other retailers or discount/warehouse stores out there.

This kind of tactic will only keep me away. I mean do they even GET what the hell Black Friday is about? They might want to talk to talk to the idiots in charge, because last I checked, the point of opening one's mouth to the media was to make them look better and bring people IN to the stores over all others, NOT the the other way around.

What do they think people get up at the ungodly hour of 3 a.m. for, if not to "cherry-pick" for the best bargain? In this days economy they need every shopper the can get. And after their last few years sadly disappointing BF, it takes a lot of nerve to act like they are worth all this blather on their part.

I will be at Target this year.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but we are only concerned with one fact: that trading in this material (which is stolen from us) is a violation of federal laws. All we're doing is reminding the websites that they need to follow the law. I hope you understand our position.

-j.

This is the response I got from Smiley.

This is a response i recived after sending in my emails of concern to walmart about closing layaway, and threats of legal action for the black friday ads being posted. Please note the VALUED CUSTOMER right off the bat.

Dear valued customers,

In the past, certain websites have posted seasonal promotion advertising from Wal-Mart -- and many other retailers -- without authorization. Because these websites have not respected copyright protections and other laws, we have reminded them of their obligations under the law. Customers will be able to find the Black Friday Wal-Mart specials on walmart.com beginning Nov.19th.

Thank you,

Customer Relations