How many gifts for your children

jbrrmom

We do three gifts from Santa because there were three wisemen and three from Mom and Dad.

Our daughters, age 5 and 7, get a little bit of everything. I buy each of them something I think they'd like, something they asked for that was reasonable but will probably not be a big hit after the newness wears off, and something practical, like clothing or a family game.

Santa and Grandma come off smelling like roses because they purchase all the cool stuff that mom and dad "can't afford".

We do three gifts from Santa because there were three wisemen and three from Mom and Dad.

Our daughters, age 5 and 7, get a little bit of everything. I buy each of them something I think they'd like, something they asked for that was reasonable but will probably not be a big hit after the newness wears off, and something practical, like clothing or a family game.

Santa and Grandma come off smelling like roses because they purchase all the cool stuff that mom and dad "can't afford".

I like the 3 gifts for 3 wisemen.... we like to get the kids one really big gift and the rest nice stuff and therefore it limits the number of gifts anyway. We normally do 5-7. We only have one that still believes in Santa and this could be his last year (he's 8 now). Maybe once he no longer believes we could do one big gift (to represent Jesus giving his life for us) and 3 more nice, but smaller gifts for the 3 wisemen... I love it!!! THANKS!!!!

I try to keep the $$ amount the same - but it's really hard to do!

My 3 are 4.5, 3.5 and 1.5 so it is more important to me that they each get the same number of presents and that their 'piles' each look the same.

Each is getting 15 presents (including 1 big gift from santa that I will not be able to wrap), plus 1 joint gift plus stocking stuffers!

***** EDITED TO ADD (November 25th) *****

Not that anyone will see this... but I blew it. We are up to 20 gifts/kid now! LOL! One month until Christmas... I CAN RESIST buying them anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dh is Jewish, I was raised Christian. It's taken us a while to get things down where it works for us.

They get a small present on each day of Chanukah. Books, socks, art supplies and the kinds of things that we would be buying them anyhow. Maybe a new movie one of those days.

Christmas day, they get a couple presents and a stocking, items are fruit, a little candy or small things, like their Chanukah presents. Santa gives each child 1 "big" present. By big, I mean $50-75. We'll raise that amount a little over the years (like with inflation), but we have decided that if they want something way bigger, it will have to be a family gift or they will have to save their own money for it.

They also get a new pair of jammies on Christmas eve.

So, that's 8 for Chanukah and 4-5 for Christmas.

dh is Jewish, I was raised Christian. It's taken us a while to get things down where it works for us.

They get a small present on each day of Chanukah. Books, socks, art supplies and the kinds of things that we would be buying them anyhow. Maybe a new movie one of those days.

Christmas day, they get a couple presents and a stocking, items are fruit, a little candy or small things, like their Chanukah presents. Santa gives each child 1 "big" present. By big, I mean $50-75. We'll raise that amount a little over the years (like with inflation), but we have decided that if they want something way bigger, it will have to be a family gift or they will have to save their own money for it.

They also get a new pair of jammies on Christmas eve.

So, that's 8 for Chanukah and 4-5 for Christmas.

That is cool how you worked it out.... Can I ask out of curiosity how you will decide wether the children will be Jewish or Christian? Or will you expose them to both and let them decide? Honestly I know next to nothing about the Jewish religion so I am just curious... I hope I am not offending you by asking. :-)

We always buy them one huge gift and a lot of filler. Last year, we got the boys computers. We will also take them shopping for clothes a few weeks b4 xmas and let them pick out all of their clothes. I do not pick out clothes for them anymore (teenagers). We wrap all of their clothes they pick out. We also give them both 50-100 dollars a piece depending on their grades. Other things may be a cheap mp3 player, anything w/their favorite sports team, etc. This year will be a bit tougher though, my oldest is a senior in H.S. and anyone who has had one, knows how expensive that is.

I have 2 daughters, and i try to keep the price close. But always the same about of presents. I have a 13, and 10 yr. old. They both like the same things. Usually when one wants something the other wants it to. My youngest is asking for a scooter. Either a motor one or regular. Hopefully there will be one on sale this yea.

My kids (dd10 dd6 and ds2) each get 1 large gift (expensive), 2 small gifts (usually goes with the expensive) and 5 books from Santa. Then they each get 3 outfits, 2 books and 1 less expensive toy from me. My parents typically buy the kids as much as I do but they have done well for themselves and can do that. I don't mind at all because the kids still get most everything they want and I don't have to come up with the money for it. LOL

i got 4 kids 18,17,16 and 13 and with them all wanted clothes and elec toys i try to set a certain amount of money. so maybe 7 things each plus stocking stuff. most liky my kids will get gift cards this year and they can pick out there own clothes.

When my DD was growing up she was an only child so I tried to make sure the things she really wanted were under the tree. No real limit just what I could afford. Now that she is married with a daughter I still don't have a limit I just try to make sure they all have the same number of gifts to open. Usually about 5 each and a couple family gifts.

Thanks for the input y'all. We also have a set spending limit. It will just be the first year he doesn't get a lot of presents because of the cost of kayac. We do not do santa because we celebrate the birth of Christ although it is easy to get caught up in the hype. My husband has been saying we need to do something similar to what you are talking about. We have a country santa that could make good use of toys for underpriviledged children. Do you give them the card before Christmas and let them pick out the gifts. I think if we let them shop for stuff they would have more fun then just telling them we are spending less on them.

We do give them the card before Christmas. The first time we did it, we weren't sure how they would respond, but the kids look forward to this every year. The kids ask every year if we are going to continue the tradition. :yup:

In our house it is X amount of $$. My boys are almost 7 yrs apart. My oldest is 13 and his things are more expensive. We had to give him the talk last year because ds#2 has a crap load more gifts. I remember my Mom having to have the same conversation around the same age(my sister and I are 7.5 yrs apart). We actually spent more on ds#1 last year and ds#2 had more gifts.

Its the same way at our house. Dss is almost 8yrs.older than the 3 little kids. He usually wants video games and stuff that is pricey, whereas the little kids are happy with a bunch of $20. or so gifts. He is old enough to understand the concept. Luckily, we have 2 kids w/ birthdays a few days before and after Christmas, so if they want a expensive gift, they get it for birthday when it isn't so bad to only get 1 or 2 gifts.

We also try to get little gifts for our oldest just to make it more even when opening presents, but it can be hard to do.

Elena

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first year I have more than one child. So I'm not sure how it will total out htis year.

Usually we got our daughter about 8-10 gifts depending on price/size. This year, Our oldest will probably end up with less total gifts than the baby because she got One HUGE expensive gift.

I have two teens and a 10 year old at home plus two older kids, one with kids. When they were young I would give the same amount of presents, now I do it money wise but do try to give the same amount by going to the dollor store to even out, or at times I see something that could go to any of them and decide toward the end when I have to figure who gets what. As they get older the gifts get smaller and expensive.

i do the same number of gifts since kids always count who has the most. although i've been pretty lucky my kids son13 and dd6, don't really do that. i try and make sure that i'm with in a fair amount ($) of each other, they don't get anything like game systems for christmas, they got their DS's in feb and they got the Wii as a family gift since they both graduated in june. i got both the kids a WowWee Roboreptile Robotic it goes for $100. but i got it for $24 thats like a big gift for them and my dd6 wants a furreal parrot $50 since some of the wii games go for the same it'll be in that catagory. so i try and make sure they get the same amount as well as the same $ spent on each one. they also know that i'm the one that buys the gifts (no santa here the kids tell people mommy is santa lol) i givethe kids toy catalogs and they mark what they want but my son know money is tight so he only marks 2 or 3 things he so sweet. he's always surprised christmas morning with all the stuff there.

It really depends. Right now I have four kids ranging from 21 months to 6 years. The two older ones are asking for the Wii's and the Ipods, but also asking for things like Etch-a-Sketch and Candyland. I try to keep it simple 10-12 per child with a movie in the stocking and I'll label the big gifts to be for all the kids. (Wii)

Here is the after shot from last year. 3 kids. I can't begin to figure out how many gifts WERE there, lol. We were raised getting a lot of gifts- one BIG one (TV, Electric Guitar, etc) and then a lot of clothes and smaller gifts. This pile had an electric guitar, a huge lego set and 3rd row HSM concert tickets that were hidden in a bug box, lol.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/jenrein/aftermath.jpg

I only have 1 child (14 yrs old) so no problems there. I do only have 1 neice and 1 nephew though. We try to keep their budget within $30 of each other- and get them same amount of gifts to make sure it's even. (Might sound silly- but we do little Christmas for them- usually around 6-10 gifts each)

I have 3 boys 11, 9, and 7. We do one big Santa together gift ( wii this yr) and 3 smaller wisemen gifts that are all left out unwrapped infront of the tree. From DH and I we get them the same amount of gifts and we try to keep the money spent around the same for each.We dont really have a set amount since I shop for Christmas all year long. I would say I have spent around $200 each but it was spread out over 10months. I havent done stockings yet but Im thinking about $20 each on those.

I have a two and half year old little girl and we are really excited this year since she is getting old enough to know whats going on at Christmas time. I have gotten her about 20 gifts. I think that I might have went a little over board. I might have spent around $300 total. I have gotten a lot of items on clearance thoughout the year. I got tons of Barbie's at Kohls, they were 40% off plus I had a 30% off coupon off entire purchase. I got a Barbie town house with two Barbie's for $30.00. I have gotten some gifts on clearance and paid less that $5.00 for some gifts. I am going to give you all my list of items and the prices. Can anyone tell me if I over did it? I am new at this Christmas stuff! About how much money does everyone spend on each child?

Barbie Townhouse $30, Barbie photographer $8, Dora Sit & spin $10, Barbie & horse gift set from Kohls $25, Barbie Island gift set with characters included $18, Diego gift set $10 (was $40), Dora gift set $10 (was $40), Backyardagins gift set $10 (was $40), Barbie bakery $14, Kelly PJ dolls x 2 $1 a piece, Kelly Christmas dolls x 2 $.50 each, Little People Three Kings set $8, Barbie doll car $6, Polly Pocket doll sets x 2 $3.50 each, Barbie cat with carrier $3, Fisher Price Family Dollhouse with Furniture $80, two dvds $10 each, Baby Alive $20, Doctor Kit $10, Baby Car Seat $12, Elefon Game $20, Go Fishing Game $5, Tea Party Set $8. Her granddaddy got her Disney Princess Magic Nursery $80 & baby doll $15.

I have a two and half year old little girl and we are really excited this year since she is getting old enough to know whats going on at Christmas time. I have gotten her about 20 gifts. I think that I might have went a little over board. I might have spent around $300 total. I have gotten a lot of items on clearance thoughout the year. I got tons of Barbie's at Kohls, they were 40% off plus I had a 30% off coupon off entire purchase. I got a Barbie town house with two Barbie's for $30.00. I have gotten some gifts on clearance and paid less that $5.00 for some gifts. I am going to give you all my list of items and the prices. Can anyone tell me if I over did it? I am new at this Christmas stuff! About how much money does everyone spend on each child?

Barbie Townhouse $30, Barbie photographer $8, Dora Sit & spin $10, Barbie & horse gift set from Kohls $25, Barbie Island gift set with characters included $18, Diego gift set $10 (was $40), Dora gift set $10 (was $40), Backyardagins gift set $10 (was $40), Barbie bakery $14, Kelly PJ dolls x 2 $1 a piece, Kelly Christmas dolls x 2 $.50 each, Little People Three Kings set $8, Barbie doll car $6, Polly Pocket doll sets x 2 $3.50 each, Barbie cat with carrier $3, Fisher Price Family Dollhouse with Furniture $80, two dvds $10 each, Baby Alive $20, Doctor Kit $10, Baby Car Seat $12, Elefon Game $20, Go Fishing Game $5, Tea Party Set $8. Her granddaddy got her Disney Princess Magic Nursery $80 & baby doll $15.

Sounds like you are having fun. I played with Barbies at that age too. My Mom would open the boxes before she wrapped them and take out all of the small accesories (shoes, hair brush, earrings, hair clips) You may want to do that.

Personally I would rather spend the money on one nice gift that a bunch of stuff they can't find a month after Christmas. (I don't always do it though!!)

I agree.... even though I have been guilty of it every year until this one. LOL.

I love finding great deals for Christmas and stockpiling them. But I look now and think why did I buy that and he won't play with it. It's just a waste of money.

I asked my son what he wants for Christmas. I told him that I'm not buying a bunch of little stuff that he won't play with or use. He wants a bike, nintendo ds, 3 specific games for the ds, subscription to Shonen Jump and a playstation 2. His birthday is Dec. 28th, so I'll probably save 1 of the big gifts and a few ps2 games for his bd.

My dd just wants me to take her shopping. LOL. Most likely it will be for clothes. Her bd is Dec. 26th, so I guess it will be more shopping. LOL.

my kids, DS7 and DS5 don't really know the cost of stuff yet either so I concentrate more on number of gifts....the big one is usually from Santa and then there are probably 10-12 total divided between Santa and Mom/Dad. We also have the boys shop for 1 gift to each other and for each parent....trying to teach them the joy of giving...LOL! I also try to keep the amount spent by Santa and by M/D about the same...don't want to be outdone by the big guy (don't know why!).