(Rumored) Black Friday TVs and DVD recorders at Wal-Mart for 2007...

cireafan

• 3 weeks later...

Check out this "simple" explanation:

From my understanding, NTSC is on its way out and ATSC is the newer technology. If you buy a TV that has ONLY an NTSC tuner, after 2009 you will have to buy a digital box to convert the signal to ATSC.

Actually, for the majority of people, this is not true.

ATSC signal is almost exclusively used for over-the-air TV (antennas). The vast majority of cable systems use some variant of QAM, which allows them to most signals around to different channels whenever they need to.

Each of the satellite companies uses their own style of encryption.

So, if you have a box for cable or sat, then the 2009 date means nothing for you. Even the 2011 date is the cable company's problem, not yours.

The only subscribers to cable who have to worry are those who plug their cable right into their TV w/o a box. Now, the HDTVs are supposed to have a feature where the cable company gives you a CableCard to plug into your TV and authorize it. However, the cable companies have had a horrid record of offering and supporting the CableCards.

If you want to go without a box, make sure your TV has a QAM tuner built-in. But, be warned that some cable systems randomize the assignments of QAM channels every few days (basically to inconvenience people who are stealing cable).

The ATSC tuner is not a cure-all for anyone except the folks using an antenna.

BTW, the federal government is going to be offering coupons for ATSC tuner boxes (http://www.dtvtransition.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=44).

I have a plasma TV. I purchased it earlier this year. Already, one of my local station's logo's is burned into the screen. Sometimes, a green line runs down the right side of the screen, vertically. I am going to exchange it for an LCD next year. LCD's don't have burn in issues. Therefore, I will be able to play my video games on it.

LCDs cost a little more, but are definately the better of the 2 choices. Plasmas suffer from burn in on the screen, and tend to die out faster than LCDs do. Projection TVs are good too, (and have a better picture, IMHO), you just have to watch out for bulb burnout. The bulbs can be replaced though, but they are costly.

I just purchased a 50" Projection TV from HHGregg for $900 (the same on in their Day after Thanksgiving ad), and added on the $200 5 year guarantee. This covers the replacement of any bulbs that may burn out over the course of 5 years, plus anything else that may happen.

You know WM is going to have the 32" LCD TV's for around $400...they gotta keep up with other stores on BF. I've seen a few BF ads already that have the 32" LCD TV's priced to sell for between $400-$450. But WM really needs to step it up have some good deals and some good doorbusters this year. I go to WM at 5am and Target at 6am but if WM doesnt have anything good this year then that means one more hour of sleep for me :g_laughin:giggle:

You know WM is going to have the 32" LCD TV's for around $400...they gotta keep up with other stores on BF. I've seen a few BF ads already that have the 32" LCD TV's priced to sell for between $400-$450. But WM really needs to step it up have some good deals and some good doorbusters this year. I go to WM at 5am and Target at 6am but if WM doesnt have anything good this year then that means one more hour of sleep for me :g_laughin:giggle:

Trust me...wm doesn't have nothing special...but you didn't hear that from me. :cool:

Geez......."HDTV is coming and going they're going to quit sending regular TV out. You gotta get an HDTV receiver to get the new signal." And all the variants above.

Such incorrect information and misinformed people.

The upcoming switch from analog to digital broadcasting by the over-the-air broadcasters has NOTHING to do with HDTV. It's simply a change in how the TV signal is sent over-the-air.....and will affect only those that use an outdoor antenna to receive their TV shows.....you know the kind, the big old TV antenna you buy from Radio Shack and such.

So, the change only affects a very few...typically those very rural or who do not have cable or satellite or choose to subscribe to either of those options.

While it's true that older TVs don't have the capacity to tune in digital broadcasts, set top tuners will be sold to convert the digital signals into something the analog tuned TVs can use. The converters will cost approx. $100 from best estimates....but the gov't, who is making the change mandatory, will be offering vouchers for...as it stands right now $60, to help defray the cost of the tuner converters.

This has NOTHING to do with HDTV. When the conversion happens, if you couldn't watch HDTV broadcasts on your current standard definition TV, you still won't be able to after using the converter. You'll still need to buy an HDTV.

Funai, hmmmm? Makers of those other fine brands like Misakai, Aventura, Durabrand, Esa, and the aforementioned Symphonic?

Ummm....no thanks. Made the horrible mistake of buying a Symphonic TV once from Wal-Mart. Worst picture on a tV I've ever had the displeasure of ever having to subject my eyes to.

I'll stick with the "major" brands for my LCD TV. And I know...there are only 3 or 4 LCD panel makers out there. But there are many more ways to cheapen a TV for a price point than the panel itself....like the quality of the electronic components behind the panel (there are very cheap capacitors and quality capacitors, for instance. Which kind do you think Funai is using.....the ones that cost 0.02 per capacitor or the ones that cost 1.00 per capacitor? Makes a huge difference in viewing quality and longevity.)

I work for an electronics manufacturer, specifically in the pricing department for capacitors and the price has very little to do with viewing quality and longevity of the end product. How well the product is going to last depends more on the company they received the product from. Many companies use inferior materials to create capacitors therefore, create inferior product. I work for the #1 supplier in the world for components and there is a reason why companies like Sony, Toshiba, LG, Panasonic, etc., have long lasting product and other companies don't.

Don't get me wrong, just because it doesn't have a name brand doesn't make it bad, but price of the interior components has nothing to do with it.

Ya WM ad is nothing special trust me as well. All you shoppers for WM if i were you I would plan to go someplace else that day make that your last stop. Thats all I am going to say is ...shop else where! LESS then impressed-I will not be going this year to WM at all

Is the ad about like the rest of them or is it truly worse? It just seems that none of the store have anything special this year.

I think the ad is worse then any of the other ads... no matter what your looking for. I would hit Best Buy, Target, Kohls, you name it before them. It does not seem like they put much thought into there ad. I can see why they don't want it leaked... its a joke of ad PERSONALLY