What do you have for your holiday meals?

Adamtanderson

This is what we have every year

Thanksgiving:

Turkey

Stuffing

Mashed Potatoes

Sweet Potato Casserole

Jolly Green Giant Boil in the bag corn with butter sauce

Christmas Eve:

Waffles

Christmas Day:

Rib Roast (Usually Smoked, but this year I won't have my smoker :gdcry:)

Baked Potatoes

New Years Day:

Fondue (This is a tradition my wife wants to start. I think we should do it New Years Eve and do something different New Years Day. Maybe ham)

I hate getting stuck in the kitchen all day or most of it on Christmas, so years ago I started a new tradition...I order a platter with turkey,ham, roast beef, and cheeses, a veggie tray and buy lots of different breads, sandwich rolls, add some salads like potato, macaroni, cole slaw, pasta etc., also have homemade goodies (done ahead) and put it out late afternoon for all to enjoy. I buy pretty holiday disposable plates and napkins. Very little clean up involved. Christmas morning I also have a tray of bagels with a variety of cream cheeses and usually have an egg dish with ham or bacon in it that bakes while we open presents, when we are done with the gifts then we head for the kitchen for a late breakfast, brunch. Christmas eve is usually similar, with everyone bringing something to eat, but I always make the sausage balls.

A few years we have made a big meal, Ham, Turkey etc the week or two before Christmas and invited over close friends, so that way we could spend some time with them during the busy holiday season and still enjoy the big cooked meal.

Thanksgiving and Christmas

Turkey

Ham

Mashed Potatoes

homemade gravy

homemade stuffing

corn

green beans casserole

sweet potato casserole

deviled eggs

Veggie and cheese tray with dip

spinach dip

crab dip

hawaiian bread

Pumpkin Pie

Apple Pie

Sugar Cream pie

cherry delight

New Years

nothing special-whatever we feel like having

Thanksgiving:

Breakfest :

Cinnamon rolls

snacks:

Pepperoni Bread

Dips and crackers

Dinner:

Turkey

Stuffing

Gravy

Mashed Potatoes

Yams

Corn

Green beans

Cranberry sauce

rolls

Dessert - home made pies - pumpkin, sweet potatoe, apple crumb

Christmas Eve (me, dh and our kids and my mom)

Assortment of Seafood (what ever we feel like having)

Christmas Day

Breakfest:

French Toast casserole

Stuffed french or italian bread

Orange cranberry muffins

Snacks: assorment of home made cookies, breads and muffins

Dinner:

Same as Thanksgiving but also include stuffed shells

New Years Eve - nothing special

New Years Day - Pot Pies

Thanksgiving Day

Turkey

Ham

Cranberry Sauce

Rolls

Greenbeans

Succotash

Collards

Stuffing

Mash Potatoes

Mac and Cheese

Candied Yams

Gravy

Deviled eggs

Watergate Salad

And a big variety of desserts (8-10 pies plus cakes)

Christmas Morning

Eggs (fried and Scrambled)

Fat Back

Sausage

Bacon

Gravy

Biscuits

Fried Apples

Pancakes or waffles (it varies)

Christmas Day

Ham rolls

Cheeses

Premade Fried chicken strips

Crackers

Veggie Tray

I don't cook after breakfast because I want the day with family not in the kitchen. We started doing this when the kids were young and much to excited to sit down and eat a meal anyway. Plus they were stuffed from breakfast

New Years Eve

Usually a pot luck dinner at church

New Years Day

Nothing special

I hate getting stuck in the kitchen all day or most of it on Christmas, so years ago I started a new tradition...I order a platter with turkey,ham, roast beef, and cheeses, a veggie tray and buy lots of different breads, sandwich rolls, add some salads like potato, macaroni, cole slaw, pasta etc., also have homemade goodies (done ahead) and put it out late afternoon for all to enjoy. I buy pretty holiday disposable plates and napkins. Very little clean up involved. Christmas morning I also have a tray of bagels with a variety of cream cheeses and usually have an egg dish with ham or bacon in it that bakes while we open presents, when we are done with the gifts then we head for the kitchen for a late breakfast, brunch. Christmas eve is usually similar, with everyone bringing something to eat, but I always make the sausage balls.

A few years we have made a big meal, Ham, Turkey etc the week or two before Christmas and invited over close friends, so that way we could spend some time with them during the busy holiday season and still enjoy the big cooked meal.

My kind of person!!! The only real difference is that I usually do cinnamon rolls at breakfast, but now that the boys are older I want to make sausage balls again for breakfast (used to do this all through the holidays for weekends, days off, etc.).

Christmas Eve:

Fondue

Steamed Clams

Lobster (split between me and oldest D)

Warm Gingerbread w/ homemade whipped cream

Christmas Breakfast:

French Toast Casserole

Sausage

Christmas Dinner:

Spiral Ham

Turkey

Corn

Sweet Potato Casserole

Mashed Potatoes

Gravy

Broccoli Casserole

Baked Ziti al Forno (Giada De Laurentis recipe)

Rolls

Cranberry Sauce (can shaped ofc)

Stuffing

Assorted Pies: usually cheesecake, pumpkin, chocolate cream, and coconut cream

So what is french toast casserole? Sounds yummy

French Toast Casserole

Serves/Yields: 8-10

Prep. Time: overnight

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients

1 bag of bread cubed

8 ounces cream cheese

1/2 c.sugar, divided

1/2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract

4 eggs

2 c. Milk

1 tsp. cinnamon

2 TBSP. butter, melted

Directions

Place half of bread cubes into greased 9x13 baking dish. Microwave the cream cheese until melted, stirring midway. Stir 1/4 c. of the sugar and the extract into the melted cream cheese. Pour this mixture over the bread cubes (will not completely cover the bread) Top with remaining bread cubes.

In a bowl, beat the remaining sugar, eggs, milk, cinnamon and melted butter together. Pour over bread cubes.

Freeze or let sit in refrigerator overnight.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.

Serve with syrup or fruit toppings (can or fresh)

French Toast Casserole

Serves/Yields: 8-10

Prep. Time: overnight

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients

1 bag of bread cubed

8 ounces cream cheese

1/2 c.sugar, divided

1/2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract

4 eggs

2 c. Milk

1 tsp. cinnamon

2 TBSP. butter, melted

Directions

Place half of bread cubes into greased 9x13 baking dish. Microwave the cream cheese until melted, stirring midway. Stir 1/4 c. of the sugar and the extract into the melted cream cheese. Pour this mixture over the bread cubes (will not completely cover the bread) Top with remaining bread cubes.

In a bowl, beat the remaining sugar, eggs, milk, cinnamon and melted butter together. Pour over bread cubes.

Freeze or let sit in refrigerator overnight.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.

Serve with syrup or fruit toppings (can or fresh)

thanks, that sounds so good. I'm going to give it a try!

I can't believe nobody eats collard greens and black eyed peas on New Years Day. I guess that is a southern thing. It is suppose to represent money (collard greens for dollars and black eyed peas for coins). Well I don't eat it but my husband's family does. It has been a tradition for a long time.

I can't believe nobody eats collard greens and black eyed peas on New Years Day. I guess that is a southern thing. It is suppose to represent money (collard greens for dollars and black eyed peas for coins). Well I don't eat it but my husband's family does. It has been a tradition for a long time.

We eat that on New Years Day plus fried pork fat LOL-it is a tradition in our family

We have such a large family... on Thanksgiving... someone chooses a theme and thats what we have. Most of us have at minimum 2 dinners to go to, last year we hosted for the family, and we had italian food. The year before it was Mexican, we love the change of pace. However, the other side of the family wants traditional all the way.

uaually we do a big Thanksgiving we always try to find new recipes change it up a little every year but Christmas we usually do party platters and trays because we have so many people in and out at different times so we usually just do the finger foods and such so that they can be ate at anytime but on Thanksgiving last year I found a great loaded mashed potato casserole if any would like the recipe just pm me and I will send it right over it is very very good we will have again this year and its easy and simple.

Just Added This for everyone who would like to try

Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole

6 medium potatoes

2 cups sour cream

2 cups sharp grated cheese

1/2 cup chives

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cups melted butter

1/2 cup bacon bits

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

*Boil potatoes until alomost done then

mash potatoes as desired. Combine all ingredients except butter and pour in 9x13 inch dish and dot with butter; cover. freeze or set in refrigerator overnight. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.The garlic and onion powder is optional but does add alot of flavor.

My family is big on collard greens and black eyed peas and fat back and usually ham on new years plus thats my sisters birthday and thats all her favorite foods lol

Thanksgiving- I make Turkey, stuffing, pots & gravy, rolls, cranberry sauce, & corn. Probably will have veggies & dip, cheese & olives for snacking on. And pumpkin roll & apple pie for dessert.

Christmas- We are at my moms- Turkey, Ham, Stuffing, pots & gravy, cranberry sauce, rolls, asparagus & corn. She also has tons of stuff to snack on- 2 big shrimp rings, veggies & dip, Rice Krispy Treats, Brownies, cookies, eggnog, etc. There is so much food. lol

My family has a similar tradition, just not the collard greens, we do cabbage with a penny cooked in it, and the black eyed peas....both my grandmothers fix the same thing though every New Years Day....

My mom always fixes the meals on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve and I always tell her "I don't care what you fix as long as I get Broccoli Casserole"

Msotly we just have the usual fixin's - Turkey for Thanksgiving & Ham for Christmas and all the side dishes - mashed potatoes, stuffing, potato salad, green beans, and whatever else the family wants.

And always a variety of cakes and cookies, my mom loves to cook in general but desserts are her favorite.

Thanksgiving:

Turkey, dressing, rolls, sweet potatoes, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, Sunshine cake, green beans, cherry cheesecake.

Christmas Eve:

Appetizers, finger foods, deli sandwiches, and Birthday cake!LOL It's my DD's birthday.

Christmas Day:

It varies each year, sometimes Italian, Chinese, Mexican, or whatever everyone wants.

On Thanksgiving we go to a newly released movie and then get Chinese food..I know

different...but when DS's were little I had no family here but them and making a whole

T-day dinner seemed pointless. We still do this and they don't want to do it any other

way now. Go figure :confused:

Christmas is usually Turkey or a Roast (whatever everyone wants) with all the

fixings and you have to have Snowball cake with it for desert:2wiggle:

i am hosting thanksgiving this year (2nd time for me)

turkey breast

pork loin stuffed with wild rice, dried cranberries, apples, mushrooms and bread stuffing)

red skinned smashed potatoes

mushroom gravy

spinach salad with dried cranberries and walnuts

roasted fall veggies (parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash)

green beans

foccacia stuffing

pumpkin roll

pumpkin brownies with cream cheese frosting

baked apples stuffed with the topping used in apple crisp and caramels

i thought about having pumpkin ice cream, walnuts, caramel and buttersotch sauces and having a pumpkin-sundae station

for christmas eve we eat at my inlaws and do finger foods - then christmas day we have a traditional ham/turkey dinner with inlaws and my family does a big themed buffet - cold cuts or italian, or mexican etc

new years eve my inlaws make fried oysters (eww) and new years day we have pork barbecue and coleslaw

thanksgving,..ham , potatoes, greens, chitlins, corn, stuffing, salad, bread, and plenty of pies

x-mas eve,...everyone brings a covered dish so we could end up with anythign,..celebrate MIL birthday which is x-mas day

x-mas,..ham,..potatoes, greens, salads, breads, and every cookie, pie known to man,..haha