Avoiding the long lines and getting best prices

redsd

Last year I read about the strategy of buying items a day or two before, then going back on Black Friday to return/price adjust. Last year I asked a Kohl's store about this, and they said they wouldn't do it. Advice anyone? Those lines are miserable. :eyepoppin

Last year I read about the strategy of buying items a day or two before, then going back on Black Friday to return/price adjust. Last year I asked a Kohl's store about this, and they said they wouldn't do it. Advice anyone? Those lines are miserable. :eyepoppin

Welcome to the community! There is already a topic on Price Matching. You can view the topic at the link below.

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=81073

What Scott said is right. Stores also have PM clauses in there policies.

The lines are pretty long but seem to move pretty quickly. I was fortunate enough to be standing in line with a group of ladies that would save your spot while you looked for something else and I would do the same for them.

That worked for me at Target, but Kohl's is so crazy that day, and in most stores customer service is in the back of the store, and even that line is long - the deals would have to be pretty good for me to try it!

I'm sure this is a YMMV type of thing. With almost any "policy" in retail, you just need to find the right employee at the right time to get around a policy, and sometimes you find the wrong employee who won't let you use a standard policy.

Of course, on BF everything is crazy, and that's just extra hassle. Plus, who wants to carry merchandise into a store on BF?

When we go to Kohl's, one of us gets in line as soon as we walk in the door while the others shop, then they change places. Works great! And we are all done shopping with time to spare before we reach the register.

That is a GREAT idea. :clapping: I will be doing that for sure this year. I bet it would work great at Old Navy too. On a normal day, they are slow getting through the lines. Thanks! I don't why I never thought of that!

I haven't been to kohls on black friday before but I know what you mean about those lines. One year I was stuck in the check out line for Best Buy for more than an hour and a half.

NOW my husband and I go together. One goes and gets what is needed and the other goes and stands in the check out line! We did that last year and we were in and out of best buy in under 20 min.

My husband and I take turns standing in line while the other shops too, last year we got to the front before we were even done shopping, and let people go ahead. One complaint I have about Kohls is that they never have enough carts. Last year we we getting three of the crock pots and had no cart to help carry them, I think this year I may bring my daughters stroller...

We have great black friday traditions...we have a little team that splits up into pairs and each pair goes to a different store and picks up from everyone's list. It is amazing. We get the door busters from multiple stores and are done in time to pick up breakfast for the kids on the way home. We have a slumber party at my house the night before for our team, where we stay up late making our lists...it is my favorite day of the year by far!

• 2 weeks later...
Last year I bought 5 DVD players for my kids 2 weeks before BF at Best Buy. Returned and repurchased on BF at the sale price. You have to pay close attention to the ad, I had to be in the store and have completed by "swap" before noon, that's when the pricing changed. I have done this several times, this strategy works year round, not just BF.

We left Kohls w/o our purchases last year. The lines were wrapped the entire perimeter of the store-- literally the back of the lines wrapped around and surpassed the front of the line. It was crazy- it was our 3rd stop- and many in line said they were in line for close to 90 minutes-- that early on BF morning- that's too much wasted time for other sales.

We always make Kohls our last stop. Usually Walmart, Sears, Target, TRU, Kmart, Younkers, then go to Kohls. Otherwise, we would never make it to any other store for the AM sales. Does anyone know if you can get the early bird sales online at Kohls?

:cool: I avoid the lines by shopping about a half hour before they close the night before. My experience has been that the signs are already out in preparation for the next morning, so they honor the in store advertised price. Last year I got everything I wanted in under twenty minutes and avoided the chaos BF morning.

Is Kohls open on Thanksgiving, or do you get the prices on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving?

I went to kohl's last year. They had some great deals. But when I went to find the end of the line. Which was all the way on the other side of the store. I thought this is bull ****. The lady way ahead of me told me she has been waiting 45 minutes. I just left my cart there and started to leave. When we finally to the front of the store there were only 3 cashiers working the rest of the registers were closed. I thought that was really stupid being BF and they didn't have the employees there that was needed.

Our Kohl's was set up so well. Yes, the line was wrapped around the store, but as someone else mentioned, lots of great deals were in the aisles for easy access while you waited. And the line moved FAST. I waited a mere 20 minutes (not bad for such a long line).

They had every register open (with a checker and a packer at each one), three greeters managing the carts and offering assistance, and an employee stationed in every dept. It was such a pleasant shopping experience!

Guest RealLivePrinces
The best way to get the good prices and avoid lines is to go shopping a couple hours before the store closes the day before Thanksgiving. Because the overnight associates can't set the ad a day before like normal, that's when they work on Black Friday's ad. If you are there and happen to see a Black Friday sale sign already up, cashiers will honor that price at the register.

Kohl's is the best place to be your last stop. The last 2 years I've gotten there by around 8 after going to 2 or 3 other stores &, while the checkout line wraps around the entire store, if you go with someone the switching places thing is an awesome way to shop - plus there are so many good deals scattered around the store you'll pass while on line. I may have gotten a few dirt cheap things at WM & Target, but overall Kohl's saved me the most.