"The Ultimate Steal"~Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 for $59.95~college students only

Marcster

Hey College students..you might want to check with your Info Systems Department if you attend a school with alot of "techie" degrees. I get alot of Microsoft software for free through my university including Office.

Oh - and buyer beware. You can not open a Word 2007 doc in older versions of Word. My friend's daughter used Word 2007 and turned in her assignment on a flash drive. The high school uses Word 2003 and the teacher could not open the assignment. From what I have heard you need to save your .doc as a previous version.

Edited by notatenanine

Oh - and buyer beware. You can not open a Word 2007 doc in older versions of Word. My friend's daughter used Word 2007 and turned in her assignment on a flash drive. The high school uses Word 2003 and the teacher could not open the assignment. From what I have heard you need to save your .doc as a previous version.

You should be able to save your document as a lower version for distribution to others or for those who want to open a a document prepared on 2007 on a lower version you can get a converter from microsoft to open them.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

Yep, you just need to save it as a previous version which is very simple to do. I have to do that when I take things back and forth from work/school/home. When you're saving the document, right under File name there's a drop down menu where you can change the version it is saved as. :)

Does anybody know what they requested to show that you were enrolled in a class?

The reason I am asking; I have an .edu e-mail address but don't have any classes right now. I read in their terms and conditions that they can come back and get the $600 plus dollars from you and I want to make sure that isn't a problem.

Thanks

DigitalRiver, the company handling the delivery of the software, typically offers that multiple downloads service in case your hard drive dies and you lost your installation files in the process.

It's much more cost-effective to save that $6 and burn two copies on DVDs (or CDs if it fits). Heck, buy yourself a latte and a snack with the $6. Two copies should cover you in case one of the disks went bad.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Drink/lovecoffee.gif

when downloading do you have to download it to the hard drive first or can I download it directly to a dvd? I'm asking because I already have office pro on my system, but this purchase would be for my daughter's laptop for college that we are still in the process of choosing so we don't physically have it yet, or should I wait til she has the laptop and hope they offer this deal again at that time? She was able to setup her .edu after she received her acceptance letter and she confirmed her intent to attend and enrolled in the Freshman 101 summer class(orientation). LOL maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse, I should probably be also getting advice in the tech section on laptop configurations first.

Hey College students..you might want to check with your Info Systems Department if you attend a school with alot of "techie" degrees. I get alot of Microsoft software for free through my university including Office.

As far as MAA (Microsoft Academic Alliance) which is the service that is available to all Computer Science students DOES NOT provide Microsoft Office. It only allows you to download development products such as Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Access 2007, Microsoft Visio 2007, etc.

when downloading do you have to download it to the hard drive first or can I download it directly to a dvd? I'm asking because I already have office pro on my system, but this purchase would be for my daughter's laptop for college that we are still in the process of choosing so we don't physically have it yet, or should I wait til she has the laptop and hope they offer this deal again at that time? She was able to setup her .edu after she received her acceptance letter and she confirmed her intent to attend and enrolled in the Freshman 101 summer class(orientation). LOL maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse, I should probably be also getting advice in the tech section on laptop configurations first.

You would be downloading an installer program, the program doesn't download and install at the same time. You should download the installer file, then burn that to a DVD after it's done downloading.

You should purchase it as soon as your daughter would qualify for the special pricing.

I just checked at my University (Pitt) and students do receive free copies of Office (as well as many others). It pays to check first.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.theultimatesteal.com/store/msshus/ContentTheme/pbPage.microsoft_office_ultimate

I thought it was over, too, but I did some digging and found an active link. :yup: Sorry, I should have posted it. On the next screen of the link, you type in your email addy and then they email you a password to use.

What's the feedback folks? Do you love it or hate it?

What is the feedback from those of you who purchased this? :confused: I have read some reviews from various other sites and they run the gamut - from love it to hate it. I am on the fence but it seems like such an awesome deal, it is hard to pass up.

I have it both on my laptop and desktop (cost a whole lot more than what you're paying now) and besides the extra features for word, I don't see much of a difference. It's a great deal at that price so I would take it but it's really just another way of Microsoft making extra money for basically the same thing with 1 or 2 extra features. Did we really need Windows Vista? :confused: Wouldn't it be nice if they just upgraded for a few extra dollars instead of charging you full price for a whole new software. :yup:

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Banners/N1read.gif

To some of our GDers – do not post replies on how to obtain a “free” copy of Microsoft Office by downloading it through an illegal file exchange.

Illegal file exchanging is specifically why Microsoft is making this generous offer in the first place!

Ask yourself these questions:

• Do you walk into store and stuff items in your pockets and walk out?
  • Do you go to a fancy restaurant and skip out without paying?
  • Do you fill your tank at the gas station and drive off?
  • Do you take money out of the bartender's tip cup?

Probably not, right? Well, why is it OK to steal software? http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Jobs/cop.gif

If the $59.95 fee is too much, then use OpenOffice from www.openoffice.org.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Banners/N1read.gif

To some of our GDers – do not post replies on how to obtain a “free” copy of Microsoft Office by downloading it through an illegal file exchange.

Illegal file exchanging is specifically why Microsoft is making this generous offer in the first place!

Ask yourself these questions:

• Do you walk into store and stuff items in your pockets and walk out?
  • Do you go to a fancy restaurant and skip out without paying?
  • Do you fill your tank at the gas station and drive off?
  • Do you take money out of the bartender's tip cup?

Probably not, right? Well, why is it OK to steal software? http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Jobs/cop.gif

If the $59.95 fee is too much, then use OpenOffice from www.openoffice.org.

Totally agree with you. Why complain to pay $60 for an over $300 software which is what I paid for mine. Wish I was in college and had the opportunity to get it at this price.

As far as MAA (Microsoft Academic Alliance) which is the service that is available to all Computer Science students DOES NOT provide Microsoft Office. It only allows you to download development products such as Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Access 2007, Microsoft Visio 2007, etc.

This is not correct. No download either...I got the cds.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with you. Why complain to pay $60 for an over $300 software which is what I paid for mine. Wish I was in college and had the opportunity to get it at this price.

wait isn't Microsoft screwing us by giving a OS that sucks and is too prone to virus's. :tired:

don;t reply with MAC is so much better, it's not, it's just that no one uses it so no one

bothers to write codes for it.