>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

:cheesy:

DaFees - The Canon A560 is currently $127 shipped from Amazon.com, and that's a better camera and better deal than I've seen in the BF ads for entry-level digital cameras. If I were her, I'd jump on that one and free up a shopping item on BF.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A560-Digital-Optical/dp/B000NK3NBA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1194636258&sr=1-3

Thank you Thank you for the wonderful advice. I signed on to Amazon and bought one just as soon as I read your post. Can't wait to get it. And, not only does it sound like a fabulous camera, it came with a free battery charger ($39.94 value)and a free code from Shutterfly to make a photo calendar ($19.99 value).:cheesy:

I just went to check this camera out myself...I think i'm in love :cheesy: It's shipping free and with a free photo calender from Shutterfly AND a free battery charger/batteries for the camera...all for less than the black friday models....is there ANY reason I shouldn't buy this immediatly???

Oh, I guess I should have read back a few posts! :yup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrn8

DaFees - The Canon A560 is currently $127 shipped from Amazon.com, and that's a better camera and better deal than I've seen in the BF ads for entry-level digital cameras. If I were her, I'd jump on that one and free up a shopping item on BF.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...4636258&sr=1-3

Thank you Thank you for the wonderful advice. I signed on to Amazon and bought one just as soon as I read your post. Can't wait to get it. And, not only does it sound like a fabulous camera, it came with a free battery charger ($39.94 value)and a free code from Shutterfly to make a photo calendar ($19.99 value).:cheesy:

I took the plunge and bought this camera for my 8 year old... In addition to the free rechargable batteries & charger, I added the MP470 printer for $74.99 with $50 MIR... according to reviews this is a pretty nice printer and for $25 extra I couldnt pass it up. I dont think I'll find a better deal than $152 for a comparible bundle...

Shipping Method: FREE Super Saver Shipping

Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible

Subtotal of Items: $241.93

Shipping & Handling: $22.37

Best Value Savings -$39.94

Super Saver Discount -$22.37

Reward Applied -$0.00

------

Total for this Order: $201.99

Is the Kodak MD853 8mp digital camera with 3x zoom 2.5 inch LCD display on sale on Black friday for $89 a good deal??? Is it worth it? Just wondering if there's been problems with the camera.

thanks!

i don't recommend kodak's because they are not quality cameras compared to a canon. if you can afford a few extra dollars, the canon a560 is worth it. better functionality, better lenses, better pictures overall.

wow all your guys seem to know tons about digital camera's. I'm drowning in ad's with no idea about which brand is better. Can anyone suggest a camera thats under 150 and doesn't eat up batteries lol

I seen some of you guys were discussing camera's on amazon.com with some specials like memory cards.

I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

If anyone is looking for a good deal on the Canon Rebel XT digital camera, Amazon.com has it for $499.98 with free shipping. :) That beats Best Buy's BF deal at $549 plus you don't have to pay tax with amazon. You also get a free camera strap if you look further down the page.

I've been looking for a good deal on this camera for awhile and was leery to buy it from an unknown dealer on the internet. CNet.com rates this camera VERY highly, even better than the XTi which is supposed to be its predecessor.

Circuit City has a decent price on it through today plus 10% off and a free printer to boot, but I didn't need the printer and wanted to save the extra money.

Just wanted to give you a heads up!

Happy picture taking,

Nicole

I, like many others am looking for a good in-expensive entry level camera. I like what you have to say about the Canon A560 and if for me, would jump on it.... BUT it looks a little "bulky". I have a teen girl, who wants slim compact camera(you know, slip in a pocket, small purse at prom ect). Anything you would recommend, keeping it under 150.00 IF possible? Open to BF or other deals available!!!

Hi. I am new to this site and these boards. I do not know if this is the appropriate place to ask but I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to help me with a video camera question. I have a 14 year old son that has asked for a video camera with a fisheye lens for Christmas. I have found the lenses on Amazon and ebay but I have no idea what type of video camera can use them. I have 5 kids so I cannot spend too much. Does anyone know any affordable options that might be out there for me or any source I can go to in order to learn about these?

Thanks for your time.

Ah, I went to check out the Canon A560 at Sears today...pretty light and compact, and they had it on sale for $119! :eyepoppin less than their BF ads...interesting. I bought it on Amazon.com though so I could get the charger/batteries and the calender for free and no sales tax (it's 6% in PA)...i'm excited though, it's what santa is bringing ME this year :yup: thanks for all the help guys, i would've been lost without you :D

Those shutterfly calendars are great! My aunt got a similar deal but doesn't have a computer so she sent me the codes & I made one for her - it looks beautiful! Very professional! Just make sure you have the largest possible images - the bigger the file, the better quality the picture will be when it's printed.

Those shutterfly calendars are great! My aunt got a similar deal but doesn't have a computer so she sent me the codes & I made one for her - it looks beautiful! Very professional! Just make sure you have the largest possible images - the bigger the file, the better quality the picture will be when it's printed.

Thanks for the advice! I've never made a calendar before, know absolutely NOTHING about making one and sure appreciate your help. Now that I've ordered my camera, I'll be waiting for the mail to come everyday until it gets here!

I, like many others am looking for a good in-expensive entry level camera. I like what you have to say about the Canon A560 and if for me, would jump on it.... BUT it looks a little "bulky". I have a teen girl, who wants slim compact camera(you know, slip in a pocket, small purse at prom ect). Anything you would recommend, keeping it under 150.00 IF possible? Open to BF or other deals available!!!

see if you can catch the canon sd1000 on sale - i've seen it dropping in price lately. it was on sale at gateway for 152.99 last week, but i'm not sure if it's still on sale. i saw it at best buy for 180 the other day.

I really don't think there is going to be a good deal on one. Canon doesn't generally budge on the pricing until the next model comes out. Since the 40D has only been out since Sept. It's not going to happen anytime soon. Sadly, the Canon rebates were kind of a joke this year too.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I thought. I know the price will be the same wherever I buy it, but I'm hoping that maybe someone will throw in an extra lens (although it probably won't be a very good one) or something like that. I know that when the 40D came out, it was selling for practically the same price as what the 30D was selling for, which totally infuriated a friend of mine that had just bought one a few months before. I guess I'll give it a few more weeks, and then probably just break down and get it.

see if you can catch the canon sd1000 on sale - i've seen it dropping in price lately. it was on sale at gateway for 152.99 last week, but i'm not sure if it's still on sale. i saw it at best buy for 180 the other day.

If that one drops under $150, I'll probably be buying it for my wife. It's a great camera and it won't take up much space in her purse.

As for the BF cameras that are ultra-compact and still decent, the 7.2mp Casio Exilim cameras that Sears and Circuit City will have for $139.99 would both be good buys. They are very small, but still turn out a good quality photo.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A560-Digital-Optical/dp/B000NK3NBA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1194636258&sr=1-3

Thanks for the post. Just went ahead and ordered mine. Great deal!!

I have never used a digital SLR before and am strongly considering getting either the Canon at Best Buy or Circuit City. Can anyone give me any feedback on which deal to go with? Have there been any other Digital SLR deals out there?

If you're interested in the 8 mega-pixel Rebel XT then go with the Amazon.com deal that's available now. Like I said in my above post, CNet.com rates it higher than the 10 mega-pixel XTi, its cheaper by a few hundred dollars, AND you don't have to fight the crowds.

The choice between and XT and XTi should depend on what you use the camera for. There are small differences between them, but if you like to take shots in continuous mode, the XTi is for you. The processor on the XTi is a lot faster and can store more during the write time, so there's less lag time before your camera is ready to go again.

The advantages that the XTi has over the XT is: 2.5" LCD vs 1.8" LCD, 9-point focus (Eos 30D AF) vs 7-point focus (Eos 30 AF), faster continuous drive, 10mp vs 8mp.

I think the reason that most people preferred the XT is that is had a slightly larger hand grip, which I agree is a good feature on an SLR. The biggest thing that will improve SLR shots (besides learning how to use the camera) will be the glass. Both cameras are capable of great photos, even with a beginner using it, but as you really start to learn the camera, the addition of some purpose-specific lenses will really allow the cameras to shine. Either one will be excellent and as a first SLR camera, the XT is perfect.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the 2 cameras: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos350d%2Ccanon_eos400d&show=all

If you're interested in the 8 mega-pixel Rebel XT then go with the Amazon.com deal that's available now. Like I said in my above post, CNet.com rates it higher than the 10 mega-pixel XTi, its cheaper by a few hundred dollars, AND you don't have to fight the crowds.

What would it cost to get the extra lens, bag, and battery, that Best Buy has on their BF sale? Would I be saving a ton of money by fighting the crowds? Also, how important do you think the extended warranty is on a camera like this?

The extras would cost you about $250 from a shop like B&H Photo or Adorama. Honestly, it's a decent deal, and allows you to get pretty much everything you need all at once. I'd also add a UV filter for each lens to protect the glass, but you could pick up 2 of those for less than $10.

Okay, got another question re: the xt and xti.

I've read a lot on some photo forums about taking pics in RAW.

And noticed that the xt only had 4 RAW frames, and the XTI had 10!

I'm not really sure what RAW is, (still learning), but is this something

that is going to be important as I improve my photography skills?

RAW is basically a full (uncompressed) image. The frames that you are talking about are how many of the RAW images the camera can store in the buffer while in continuous mode. This means that the XT can store 4 full images while the camera is writing to the card, while the XTi can store 10 full images. A fast card (Sandisk Extreme II / III cards) is a good investment for a DSLR camera.

One more thing about RAW.

Once I used it, I would NEVER use jpg again!

When first starting with a SLR there is a major learning curve, unless you are going to be shooting in green box mode, your pictures may not look as great as your ultra fancy P&S. It takes time! :D

With Raw though you can go into a program like Digital Photo Professional (included with Canon DSLRS) and apply the amount of sharpening, color saturation, things like that. You can do that in PhotoShop with .jpgs, but in my experience, I get better results with doing it on RAWS. Also you can "save" shots that you might have messed up with under or over exposure better than in .jpg format.

When you shoot in .jpg the camera processes the image it it's specifications, with RAW you can do it to yours. To me, that made a HUGE difference.

What would it cost to get the extra lens, bag, and battery, that Best Buy has on their BF sale? Would I be saving a ton of money by fighting the crowds? Also, how important do you think the extended warranty is on a camera like this?

With the lenses. I would go with the kit lenses to begin with. For a few months get a feel for the focal length that you use most. Then you can move up to better quality lenses in that range. No need to put out that money on a lens you won't use that much. I think alot of people are going to get sticker shock when it comes to buying quality lenses, and those are the most important thing.