>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Why do you highly reccomend the XTi? The differences I know are that it's 10mp, has more autofocus points, and the "self cleaning" element. The only one of those I'm interested would be the autofocus points.

All three of those are great reasons plus it has a bigger LCD screen, the LCD is much brighter, and the XTi is faster.

Whew! I just finished reading all the posts in this thread, and I'm SO glad I discovered it! Thanks to everyone for the helpful info, links and opinions.

All the discussion has been great, but I'm still stumped as to which is the best camera for the money from the deals below (BF and currently on Amazon):

Best Buy: Kodak C613 EasyShare 6MP & 5.6" Picture Frame $99.99

Circuit City: Fujifilm FinePix A900 9.0MP $129.99

Circuit City: Kodak EasyShare C633 6.2MP & Printer Dock $129.99

Circuit City: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S700 7.2 MP $99.99

CompUSA: Fujifilm F480 8.2MP $139.99

CompUSA: Fujifilm Z10 7MP $149.99

CompUSA: HP Photosmart R742 7MP $129.99

CompUSA: Nikon L14 6MP (Blue or Pink) $129.99

Sears: Canon Powershot 7.1MP (model?) with 4x Optical Zoom $139.99

And available at Amazon:

Canon PowerShot A560 7.1MP 4x Optical Zoom $129.19

Canon PowerShot A570IS 7.1MP 4x Optical Zoom $154.74

Our "family camera" that we've had for a few years, a 4 MP Kodak EasyShare, just bit the dust, and our budget is pretty tight, so I'm looking for a good all-around camera that's easy enough for my 11yo. to use; and that takes good pictures both indoors and outside without too much shutter lag. Our biggest frustrations to date have been poor/blurry pictures in lower lighting conditions and the lag between when you push the button and the camera actually takes the picture.

I'd be incredibly grateful for any guidance or advice on the list above. Despite its flaws, our old camera has given us a lot of enjoyment over the years, and we're looking forward to a new one.

Thanks! :)

Bob

New Hampshire

xt

Sorry, this weekend has been busy!

If the hundred or so extra bucks is feasible for your budget, I'd take the same route that Kahleeb did below.

The XTi will allow you to shoot your kids sports (in time) at a higher fps. The extra AF points are great to have also.

I think the XTi would be a great long term camera for you and your family. You can grow with it, and it can grow with you.

why is it worth the extra money? like Tommy said, I think I would only be interested in the Autofocus. How much faster is it?

What are the good deals on the xti?

Here is the upgrades on the XTi. I'm not trying to make you buy a more expensive camera, I'm just offering you the advice that you asked for. Since I haven't been in the market for an XTi, I haven't been keeping track of them, but there are deal prices listed throughout the thread. In the end the choice is yours.

New 10.1 effective Megapixel CMOS sensor (versus 8.0 on the Rebel XT)

New dust reduction system

Large 2.5" LCD display (versus 1.8" on the XT)

No more LCD info display (the main LCD is used instead)

9-point autofocus system (versus 7-point)

Can now take more shots in a row in burst mode (27 vs 14 JPEG, 10 vs 6 RAW)

New Picture Styles feature, first seen on the EOS-5D and 30D

Information from DCRP Review.

I recently bought a Canon a630 (my A610 died :mad: ) Does anyone have this camera and use the other lenses that can attach to it? I was wondering if the lenses for the A630 allow for great pics? I really wanted a digital SLR but I couldn't afford it so I opted for this camera because it has the option for the extra lenses. I have a Canon Rebel G 35mm SLR that I can always use if I really wanted to but digital is so much easier!

Longhorn - thanks for all the information! Either camera will be expensive, so I just want to make sure I'm making the best choice:) Thanks for your help:)

It's all up to you. I personally don't think the XTi is worth the extra money. The 10.1 mp didn't interest me since it's the same image sensor you're cramming more pixels into. Some reviews even say that the 10mp may be too much for that sensor which causes noise. The more shots per second an the a/f points are about all I'd want, and that's just not worth the money, especially since this is my first SLR camera. I think later, if I updraged, it would be a 40D or something anyways. It's all personal preference, how much you want to spend, and what's important to you. Personally, I don't think the XTi is worth it.

I paid $671 for the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi with stock lens and a 2GB fast CF card with 0 2 day shipping via Amazon Prime.

I then picked up an XTi Camera bag with lens filter and extra battery for 50 bucks and a 75-300 Canon Lens at Best Buy for 190.

What kind of bundle did yours have? 999 is a lot more than the 671 I just paid.

Also, I highly recommend spending the extra hundredish bucks on the XTi over the XT.

For $999 I received the Canon XTi, 18-55 lens, 75-300 lens, and the 430EX Speedlite Flash.

Hello. Add me to the list of "I want a new digital camera!" :)

Does anyone have the Canon powershot S3 IS? If so do you like it? I seen they retail from 300 -400 dollars. Is $169.00 a good buy for this camera brand new? Any input would be great. I am a mom of two under 4 and want to upgrade from my cheapo crappy digital and my 35mm zoom camera. Thank you in advance!

Heather

where did you find it for this price?

Any deals on a Canon Powershot G9 or something that would have all the features my daughter (who is an aspiring photographer) will want? I can't afford to go all the way to a SLR and this one seemed the best choice.

I also want to try to stay with one that uses SD cards, since we have a lot of those from our old cameras.

Sheila

Has anyone ever heard of "yourdigitalelectronics.com"? I just came across this site and the prices are very low - almost too low to take seriously. You must spend at least $500 to check out but that is OK as I would be buying several items. They have the Canon S3 IS for $183.60, the Canon 40D for $1019.32 and a variety of other very cheap prices. I would love to order from them and save the money but I do not know if they are legit. Does anyone know if they are OK or if this is a case of "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is"?

Has anyone ever heard of "yourdigitalelectronics.com"? I just came across this site and the prices are very low - almost too low to take seriously. You must spend at least $500 to check out but that is OK as I would be buying several items. They have the Canon S3 IS for $183.60, the Canon 40D for $1019.32 and a variety of other very cheap prices. I would love to order from them and save the money but I do not know if they are legit. Does anyone know if they are OK or if this is a case of "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is"?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2217528,00.asp

It's too good to be true.

However, YourDigitalElectronics.com's headquarters is either an apartment building, a motel, or else a vacant lot, according to Google Maps and Garstecki.

Thanks. The worst part of it is that I had gone on Amazon this morning and they had lowered the price of the Canon Powershot S3 IS to $266. Without shipping or tax, that would have been a pretty good deal. They did say to order soon as they only had 1 left. After I realized the other place was a scam, I went back in to Amazon and they are showing the camera as out of stock. The next cheapest seller through their site has it at $279 but I would have to pay tax and shipping on that. So I will look some more before I make a decision.

1319.99 seems pretty decent.

Well, I guess I waited too long. I went online today to order the 40D and the price has gone up $80 since last night. UGH! I'm going to keep watching the website in hopes that they will once again lower the price, and this time I will order it immediately instead of waiting.

Holly

FYI, Circut City has the Cannon A570 IS on sale today only (Tuesday) for $149, and you can get a free Epson R280 printer with it (after rebate)! The link to the deal is on the home page, in the big rotating window of ads at the top.

So, I'm torn. I don't need the printer, and this doesn't include the 2GB SD card or the free calendar like Amazon. On the other hand, I could order it and pick it up today or tomorrow, instead of waiting for Amazon shipping. Argh!

Anyway, wanted to pass it on!

Bob

Circut city has the canon 10 mp rebel with 75-300 high performance lens for 879.98 and best buy has the canon 8 mp with 75-300 zoom lens and accessory kit for 699.97. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these two cameras? I am going to get one on BF but im not sure which one. The mp are not that big of a deal to me but I was told that when using a zoom lens you need to have an internal image stablization or you will not be able to get clear pics if your taking them by hand. HELP!

Which is a better camera? The Canon A560 or the Kodak with lithium battery pack at Target for 89.00? I can get the Canon for 139.00 (and think I would prefer that) but was wondering if the Kodak is just as good with the savings of 50.00. Thanks!

No, the Kodak is definitely not in the same quality class as the Canon.