>>> Official Black Friday DESKTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Joining up here. We are looking for a decent desktop for my 11yodd. She has outgrown the hand me down.

She is into movie making, wants photoshop, and a host of software that I do not have a clue about. It all deals in movies and graphics.

Yes my 11yo has passed me up.:cheesy:

Emachines' are horrible. Don't waste 200 dollars, unless you want a temporary desktop that usually starts breaking down within 1-2 years of purchase.

Wow, I bet you heard they suck. eMachines are not that bad. They get a bad name because who primarily buys eMachines? Your everyday average joe who has no idea how to work a computer so they blame the machine.

I personally own the doorbuster eMachines from the last two year's black friday sales at BB, and they run as well as they did when I bought them. I take care of my stuff.

We aren't hardcore computer users. We just surf the internet and listen to music or watch videos and stuff. My boyfriend wants to keep inventory of stuff for his business and be able to make and print off a bill for people and keep copies on the computer. He needs to keep track of everything. So this is basically all we would be using it for. If I bought the $200 computer would I need to add anything to it? Like a video card or anything you all would recommend adding to it?

We aren't hardcore computer users. We just surf the internet and listen to music or watch videos and stuff. My boyfriend wants to keep inventory of stuff for his business and be able to make and print off a bill for people and keep copies on the computer. He needs to keep track of everything. So this is basically all we would be using it for. If I bought the $200 computer would I need to add anything to it? Like a video card or anything you all would recommend adding to it?

For what your useing it for, the 200.00 BB comp will do you Great, You will probley want to get Diffrent programs for the inventory and such, but emachine useally has a 60 day trail to MS office, but no hardware you will need to add to it.. it will work great for you !

For that list, you will be okay, but might want to THINK about adding to the memory to get it up to 2gb that Vista Home Premium "wants". it is really cheap to do that right now if you find it on a deal. you will only need to add 1 gb, but to give you an idea, right now there is a posting on online deals for this http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4308301&CMP=BAC-160x65 which is $30 for 2gb after shipping. Of course you will likely need programs for the different tasks you want to do.

Wow, I bet you heard they suck. eMachines are not that bad. They get a bad name because who primarily buys eMachines? Your everyday average joe who has no idea how to work a computer so they blame the machine.

I personally own the doorbuster eMachines from the last two year's black friday sales at BB, and they run as well as they did when I bought them. I take care of my stuff.

I am typing on a crappy e-machine....still works. You do have to watch what you "eat"...

My dh has had to reconfig my computer once, forgot why.

I have never been to BB on BF. And from what I reading on here, I might just pass it up. I am not lining up on Wednesday!!! Which I know all depends on location and all that. But I don't plan on getting up til about 3 am on BF. BB and Target and Old Navy and a bunch of stores are all in the same shopping center. I was planning on going to Target and possibly Old Navy, I might see how the line is at BB and then decide. This is a new shopping center they just built in West Nashville. I don't think there is another BB close!! Maybe walmart will have a desktop for a good deal??

I'd like to know why e-machines get such a bad rap. We have 3, the 1 I'm on right now is 4 years old and running great, but will be relegated to the basement office when I get the $197 package from BB this year. Are they basic especially at this price? absolutely, but I'd rather choose my upgrades than have them put into a computer by someone who thinks they know what I want or has an overstock on some components.......but that's just me I guess. Oh, and the $27 1gb memory deal they have in the BF ad is a smokin good price as an instant upgrade.

I work on a lot of PCs and eMachines were much better in most respects before Gateway got to them. The older eMachines used standard, off-the-shelf style motherboards. True they were low-end ECS and PCChips, but they were standard models that I could replace off the net cheaply if something happened. The boards also usually had much more in the way of expansion slots than now. I upgraded more than one older eMachine into mid-range to high-end gaming machines with minimal difficulty. That is much more than I can say for most of the Dell, Gateway, et al machines I attempted the same feat on.

eMachines got a very bad reputation years ago when it was revealed that they were taking back returned computers and either refurb'ing them or taking the good parts out of them (like the video card, memory, hd, etc.), putting them into new computers, and calling the whole PC brand new when the machine was actually either refurb'd or built with some used parts.

Their reliability actually went UP after Gateway bought them. The original owner and founder of eMachines (the company was originally Korean-based) was just putting together computers to be treated as throw-away commodity items and couldn't care less about reliability. Gateway did and does.

I have never been to BB on BF. And from what I reading on here, I might just pass it up. I am not lining up on Wednesday!!! Which I know all depends on location and all that. But I don't plan on getting up til about 3 am on BF. BB and Target and Old Navy and a bunch of stores are all in the same shopping center. I was planning on going to Target and possibly Old Navy, I might see how the line is at BB and then decide. This is a new shopping center they just built in West Nashville. I don't think there is another BB close!! Maybe walmart will have a desktop for a good deal??

I live in the area and have been to that BB many times already. My mom and db live about 5 minutes away. I have a suspicion that the shopping center is going to be extremely packed on BF. The other BB's are in Clarksville, Rivergate and Cool Springs, so therefore, everyone in the Nashville area will be at that new one. If you have things to get at Target, you might want to buy your items before BF and have them do a price adjustment, check out the Target thread for more details. I would go to the Old Navy at Bellevue Mall, it probably won't be as crowded (it is still there, isn't it?) :confused:

:mad: Maybe I am overlooking but has anyone seen any graphic cards for the computers at all in any of the black friday ads

Bestbuy's ad had two (well, one card really, but choice of AGP or PCI-e versions) graphics cards on sale (available Friday and Saturday). They were the AGP and PCI express versions of the Visiontek Radeon HD2600 Pro 512MB DX10 card. Minimum 5 of each per store. Priced at $99.99 after $100.00 instant savings.

I too have been looking for Graphics Cards this year, so I've made note of any appearance in the ads at any stores near me.

So far, list has only two entries.

Best Buy

Visiontek ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro 256MB 16x PCI e Graphics Card $100

And Circuit City

Visiontek ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB 16x PCI e Graphics Card $50

Kinda slim pickings thus far. Hopefully Newegg has something because neither of those two cards that I listed are much of a bargain.

I have the $150 emachines from 2 years ago (BF '05). I had to leave the computer on from late Dec '05 all the way to early October '06 (don't ask me why, far too long of a story, let's just say it involves a MMORPG) all I did was reboot every 2 or 3 weeks and only because that was about the time it took it to start getting slow.

Anyway, the computer is still working flawlessly and, if it weren't for the fact that my hard drive is excessively saturated, I would be able to say that it runs as good as new. I have truly abused this computer and yet the only thing that shows any actual wear is the mouse, and only because the paint came off were the thumb and index finger are supposed to go, but seriously after 2 years, it is perfectly understandable.

So I don't know about everyone else, but I completely recommend them.

I live in the area and have been to that BB many times already. My mom and db live about 5 minutes away. I have a suspicion that the shopping center is going to be extremely packed on BF. The other BB's are in Clarksville, Rivergate and Cool Springs, so therefore, everyone in the Nashville area will be at that new one. If you have things to get at Target, you might want to buy your items before BF and have them do a price adjustment, check out the Target thread for more details. I would go to the Old Navy at Bellevue Mall, it probably won't be as crowded (it is still there, isn't it?) :confused:

The Old Navy in the Bellevue mall has been gone for like 2 years now. lol. I don't think i'll make a stop by there anyway. I figured this shopping center would be crowded! I do need to go to Target and get a couple things. They aren't doorbuster items but I was planning on being there when it opened. I hope they don't run out of anything I was wanting, it isn't any electronics or anything so I think I have a good shot. I will check out the line at BB, but if I had to wait in line I couldn't get there til after 9pm on Thanksgiving night and by then it might be too late. If so I will just go back home and get up and go to Target later. We really need a new desktop and this one is the only cheaper one I've seen. :(

I purchased 2 emachines from BB on previous BF. One my kids still use and it is fine for them to surf the net, go on Webkinz, play runescape etc. The other one I got for my DH Grandmother. IT was working fine until the other day she said it was down due to DSL being down and when it came back up there was a loud noise and now it does not start. I have to get her another PC BF so I will probably get the one at BB. I like the Emachines and will purchase again.

Guest superdomino83

Emachines' are horrible. Don't waste 200 dollars, unless you want a temporary desktop that usually starts breaking down within 1-2 years of purchase.

Not true in my case. Two years ago I got three of the $150 emachine desktops (not all for me) from BB and they still work perfectly today. All I did was throw in some memory.