>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

1.5 dual core does not equate to 3.0, but it is alot more than 1.5 It is probably closer to 2.7 ghz or so. I dont know that much about HD playback from downloaded movies, will post if I find out about it for you.

Thanks nirvana4all. The main thing I was wondering was how the "dual" part of the processor affected its speed.

I'm sad I haven't seen teh $30 deal here. I hope I didn't overlook anything. We did get some coupons for $10 off a $100 purchase. $10 alone doesn't help much, though. Hmm. Guess I'd better look around and watch teh mail. Thanks for explaining.

I can send you a scan! Pm me!!!

Silke

Guest ZeroGravity107

What are some basics about laptops and video cards? I don't know anything about pc gaming but I do like to play some games (mainly Swat 4). Nothing ridiculous, but what kind of graphics/video card would be needed in a laptop? are they permanently built in or upgradable?

I just ran the system requirements lab site for Swat 4 on my girlfriends laptop and it failed because of the video card

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc4braves

I'm sad I haven't seen teh $30 deal here. I hope I didn't overlook anything. We did get some coupons for $10 off a $100 purchase. $10 alone doesn't help much, though. Hmm. Guess I'd better look around and watch teh mail. Thanks for explaining.

I can send you a scan! Pm me!!!

Silke

Thanks I have PM'd you.

Which is the best laptop?? It is gor my teenage daughter, mostly school work, Internet use, pictures..stuff like that....I listed all the specs on each one... Thanks!!

1.Compaq Presario Dual-Core 15.4" Laptop w/ 1GB RAM

Mid-size notebook: The Compaq Presario F730US is a mid-size laptop, with a powerful dual-core processor, DVD Super Multi drive, and Windows Vista Home Premium.

Dual core/64-bit processing: This laptop features the dual-core 1.8GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 TK-55 processor. The Athlon 64 X2 has two processing engines that work together, giving this processor much more power than standard 1.8GHz processors. This processor is also capable of processing 64 bits of information at once, twice as much as older 32-bit processors.

This notebook features 1GB of DDR2 system memory—more than enough for everyday use. DDR2 is slightly faster than DDR, the previous standard in system memory.

HyperTransport technology works like a fully-integrated frontside bus that increases bandwidth, reduces bottlenecks and enables processors to work more efficiently.

Processors search for the same data over and over. L2 caches keep this data neat, organized, and nearby so it can be retrieved more quickly. This 512KB cache gives the processor a little boost.

Hard drive: This hard drive features a 120GB capacity—more than enough storage space for the average multimedia collection. This drive’s data disks spin at 5400rpm. The faster they spin, the faster the data is read and written.

Go wireless: Built-in 802.11g wireless LAN gives you a fast connection to a wide range of networks and peripherals. 802.11g is backwards-compatible with 802.11b, so you can connect using the two most popular wireless standards.

Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ Home Premium: This is an operating system for homes with advanced computer needs. You’ll be able to use your notebook more effectively and enjoy new entertainment experiences—all with the benefit of added security and reliability. And Vista Premium features the elegant new Aero interface.

DVD SuperMulti drive: Use this drive to burn DVDs and CDs to share your files, music mixes or home movies. You can even burn DVD-RAM discs—specially-formatted discs that let you drag and drop, or write and rewrite your files up to 100,000 times.

LightScribe disc-labeling: Burn custom, silkscreen-quality labels and images onto your discs with the same drive that burns the data.

Widescreen display: This notebook features a gorgeous 15.4" high-definition widescreen display with 1280 x 800 pixel (WXGA) resolution.

Audio/video: This notebook features advanced NVIDIA® GeForce® GO 6000M graphics and 288MB of shared video memory, which is drawn from the main system memory. This video memory is perfect for everyday activities like casual movie watching or gaming. The built-in Altec Lansing speakers provide compelling 3D sound.

DVD Play: This feature lets you enjoy DVDs and digital music at the touch of a button.

Stylish design: This laptop delivers a striking design whose overall rectilinear shape is repeated in patterns throughout the system, from the cut-out speaker grill to the vents on the bottom casing. With a surface resembling matte steel, it stands apart.

Software bundle:

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, Works, Office 2007 Student and Teacher Edition (60-day trial), and Internet Explorer

Norton® Internet Security 2007 (with 60 days of live update)

HP PhotoSmart Premier, DVDPlay and HP Games powered by WildTangent

Roxio Digital Media Plus

Muvee autoProducer DVD Edition with Burning

Adobe® Acrobat Reader®

Real Rhapsody

Vongo

2.Toshiba Satallite Laptop with AMB Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Laptop Features

Mid-size laptop: The Toshiba Satellite A215-S7422 is a mid-size laptop, with above-average processing power and everything most people need for basic computing, entertainment and online communication. This model features a powerful dual-core processor as well as premium features such as a DVD SuperMulti drive and Windows® Vista™ Home Premium.

Dual core/64-bit processing: The 1.9GHz Turion 64 X2 TL-58 has two processing engines that work in tandem, providing much more power than standard 1.9GHz processors. This processor is also capable of processing 64 bits of information at once, twice as much as standard 32-bit processors. AMD PowerNow! technology enhances mobile performance and extends battery life.

This laptop features 1GB of DDR2 system memory—more than enough to handle everyday computing needs. DDR2 is slightly faster than DDR, the previous standard in system memory.

HyperTransport technology works like a fully-integrated frontside bus that increases bandwidth, reduces bottlenecks and enables processors to work more efficiently.

Processors search for the same data over and over. L2 caches keep this data neat, organized, and nearby so it can be retrieved more quickly. This 1MB cache gives the processor a little boost.

Hard drive: This hard drive features a 160GB capacity—more than enough storage space for the average user. This drive’s data disks spin at 5400rpm. The faster they spin, the faster the data is read and written.

Go wireless: Built-in 802.11g wireless LAN gives you a fast connection to a wide range of networks and peripherals. 802.11g is backwards-compatible with 802.11b, so you can connect using the two most popular wireless standards.

DVD SuperMulti drive: Use this drive to burn DVDs and CDs to share your files, music mixes or home movies. You can even burn DVD-RAM discs—specially-formatted discs that let you drag and drop, or write and rewrite your files up to 100,000 times.

Widescreen display: This laptop features a bright 15.4" high-definition widescreen display with 1280 x 800 pixel (WXGA) resolution. Your documents and movies will look fantastic.

Microsoft® Windows Vista Home Premium: This is the operating system for homes with advanced computer needs. Vista Premium features the elegant new Aero interface. You’ll be able to use your laptop more effectively and enjoy new entertainment experiences—all with the benefit of added security and reliability.

Audio/video: This laptop features ATI Radeon™ Xpress X1200 graphics and 319MB of shared video memory, which is drawn from the main system memory.

3. HP AMD Dual-Core 15.4" Laptop w/ 1GB, 160GB, DVD-RWAMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor TK-55* with 64-bit platform, HyperTransport™ and AMD PowerNow!™ technologies and improved security with Enhanced Virus Protection**

1GB DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible media

AMD dual-core technology enables you to work or play with multiple programs without impacting performance; AMD64 technology provides simultaneous support for 32-bit and 64-bit computing

15.4" WXGA high-definition widescreen display with BrightView technology and 1280 x 800 resolution

160GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M (UMA) graphics with up to 287MB total available graphics memory; S-video TV-out

QuickPlay touch-sensitive music and DVD controls; HP mobile remote and ear bud headphones included

5-in-1 digital media reader supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card

IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; 56 Kbps modem; Expansion Port 3 connector

Weighs 6.1 lbs. and measures just 1.7" thin for portable power; lithium-ion battery and AC adapter

Long-lasting HP Imprint high-gloss finish and silver interior with inlaid Radiance pattern design; backlit media control panel

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with HP Photosmart Essentials, muvee autoProducer DVD Basic Edition, Roxio DigitalMedia Plus and more

Learn more about Windows Vista

AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Turion, AMD PowerNow!, HyperTransport and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

*Model number indicates relative mobility and performance among this AMD processor class.

**AMD's Enhanced Virus Protection provides additional protection against buffer overflow viruses. AMD and its partners strongly recommend you continue to use third-party anti-virus software as part of your total security solution.

"Which is the best laptop?? It is gor my teenage daughter, mostly school work, Internet use, pictures..stuff like that....I listed all the specs on each one... Thanks!!"

Here I broke it down to basics

TK-55

1GBDDR2

512mbL2cache

120gbhd

NVIDIA® GeForce® GO 6000M graphics and 288MB of shared videomemory

TL-58

1GBDDR2

1gbL2cache

160gbhd

ATI Radeon™ Xpress X1200 graphics and 319MB of shared video memory

TK-55

1GBDDR2

??? Cache

160gbhd

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M (UMA) graphics with up to 287MB total available graphics memory

All the cards fall into class 5. So no real diff.

Per notebook check at:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Grafic-Cards.130.0.html

Class 5

Low End Graphics Cards - Only older games can be played fluently with these graphics chips (if they were not too demanding). Shared memory graphic cores in this category got the advantage of less heat production and longer battery runtimes. For office, internet, image correction, and video cutting tasks these graphics chips are still useable without any restrictions.

You didn't list the cache for the 3rd and since no prices are mentioned I'm guessing they are pretty equal.

For me and mine, with just these specs and no druthers about brand, appearance, or store bought at- I'd pick #2. MHO

Sorry, forgot the stores and pricing....

1. is the Compaq at CC for 299.99 after MIR

2. is the Toshiba sattelite at CC for 399.99 after MIR

3. is the HP at BB for 449.00 flat

"Which is the best laptop?? It is gor my teenage daughter, mostly school work, Internet use, pictures..stuff like that....I listed all the specs on each one... Thanks!!"

Here I broke it down to basics

TK-55

1GBDDR2

512mbL2cache

120gbhd

NVIDIA® GeForce® GO 6000M graphics and 288MB of shared videomemory

TL-58

1GBDDR2

1gbL2cache

160gbhd

ATI Radeon™ Xpress X1200 graphics and 319MB of shared video memory

TK-55

1GBDDR2

??? Cache

160gbhd

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M (UMA) graphics with up to 287MB total available graphics memory

All the cards fall into class 5. So no real diff.

Per notebook check at:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Grafic-Cards.130.0.html

Class 5

Low End Graphics Cards - Only older games can be played fluently with these graphics chips (if they were not too demanding). Shared memory graphic cores in this category got the advantage of less heat production and longer battery runtimes. For office, internet, image correction, and video cutting tasks these graphics chips are still useable without any restrictions.

You didn't list the cache for the 3rd and since no prices are mentioned I'm guessing they are pretty equal.

For me and mine, with just these specs and no druthers about brand, appearance, or store bought at- I'd pick #2. MHO

I think CompUSA has the winner of the cheapie laptop deals.

That HP with the Athlon 64 X2 processor at 1.7gHZ, 2GB RAM, 120GB hard drive, a 17" widescreen, and arguably the best imbedded video processor of the cheapie bunch for $450.

Seems to me that the extra $50 over the Sony at BB or $150 at CC is worth spending, esp. for the video and the 17" widescreen.

My favorite laptop is the HP at Comp USA too but I've had a little trouble with Comp USA being inconsistent about dealing with BF crowds. I was there two years ago to get an lcd tv at the midnight opening. They didn't issue tickets and the sales staff didn't know where the stock was located. I was second in line and almost didn't get the tv I went for! I will definitely grill management at the store to see if they have a viable plan before trusting them again.

With almost all the BF laptop ads out yet i have just one question:

What is the best laptop thats going on sale that i can for playing games like WoW and Team Fortress 2?

i think the SONY and BB can handle those. i was planning on getting that for the same reason. i dont know what is in the compaq at CC.

Was An Acer Laptop 512k memory 80 Gig Hard Drive Yesterday At The Georgetown Texas Wal Mart For $398.00 Not on Sale Regular Price. Found A Link --Tried To Post. Would Not Take As I have not been here long enough for this site to allow me to post a link it said to avoid spam. The Link said that each WalMart Got 20 Acer Laptops at $398 each. This Was Orginally Posted 9 July 07. Some WalMarts Still Have Them. Go To Google and Plug In Acer 398 Walmart

Mel Jones, Central Texas

My nephew's first computer was an Acer purchased from Best Buy, it was a desktop model-- They had it more than he did. Lots of problems with early ones. Hopefully they have improved. mama43

Guest blahblahdddd

should i get dell e1501 or hp

dell costs 579 dollars and hp costs about the same

hp is the one that comes on sale at cc on bf

Is there anything currently under $800 comparable to any of the BF deals? Specifically I'm looking for something that can run vista, surf, movies, pictures, and the most basic of games (i.e. Counter-Strike 1.6)

Thoughts?

My nephew's first computer was an Acer purchased from Best Buy, it was a desktop model-- They had it more than he did. Lots of problems with early ones. Hopefully they have improved. mama43

I bought the Acer laptop doorbuster from Microcenter last BF for $179 and it is still going strong. Have had no problems at all. We use it for everyday surfing, games, and email in the family room. The kids are rough with it.

Guest ZeroGravity107
the Staples Compaq has the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 which from what I'm reading, looks to be pretty decent. Actually looks to be better than the graphics card on my desktop PC. lol

the Staples Compaq has the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 which from what I'm reading, looks to be pretty decent. Actually looks to be better than the graphics card on my desktop PC. lol

That's the one I'd get if I was inclined to fight crowds bf 2 hours away from where I live. But I got the one from walmart's secret sale and it seems good to me. It's just for my parents and they don't play any high end games so I can't comment on that.

Ya'll, I'm having a serious debate with myself as to which laptop I should choose. I've narrowed it down to two laptops. Their both at CC, so I'm going to have to suffer with the MIR.

1) Compaq Presario Dual-Core 15.4" Laptop w/ 1GB RAM - $299

-->1 GB mem, 80GB hard drive, Intel Pentium dual-core processor

2) Toshiba Satallite Laptop with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Laptop - $399

-->1 GB mem, 120GB hard drive, AMD Athlon X2 dual-core processor

My main issue is the processor and memory. Although $400 is a deal, I don't really want to pay that and still upgrade the memory so that the Athlon processor runs EXTREMELY well.

But if I get the laptop for $300, I wouldn't mind upgrading the memory, but then I'm worried about it working well with the Pentium processor, even if I upgrade the memory.

I only want to use the laptop to surf the internet, do schoolwork, and watch movies. No gameplaying or videoediting or anything like that.

What is the better deal?

Ya'll, I'm having a serious debate with myself as to which laptop I should choose. I've narrowed it down to two laptops. Their both at CC, so I'm going to have to suffer with the MIR.

1) Compaq Presario Dual-Core 15.4" Laptop w/ 1GB RAM - $299

-->1 GB mem, 80GB hard drive, Intel Pentium dual-core processor

2) Toshiba Satallite Laptop with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Laptop - $399

-->1 GB mem, 120GB hard drive, AMD Athlon X2 dual-core processor

My main issue is the processor and memory. Although $400 is a deal, I don't really want to pay that and still upgrade the memory so that the Athlon processor runs EXTREMELY well.

But if I get the laptop for $300, I wouldn't mind upgrading the memory, but then I'm worried about it working well with the Pentium processor, even if I upgrade the memory.

I only want to use the laptop to surf the internet, do schoolwork, and watch movies. No gameplaying or videoediting or anything like that.

What is the better deal?

I just bought the Compaq from BB a month ago (both computers died and I couldn't wait for BF), but it's got a 120 GB hard drive. From what I can tell that is the only difference between the above mentioned model and the one I bought (I spent $450). I haven't watched movies on it yet, but it works well for everything else you mentioned you want to do. Even with everyone saying Vista is a memory hog, I haven't noticed any performance problems.

Just my 2 cents for whatever it's worth.