>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

So far, Staples is winning the laptop fight.

I'm glad to see the dual cores becoming lower-end BF fodder. I wonder if anyone will toss out some sub-$100 single core desktops. One has to think if dual core laptops are going for $350, single core desktops should be finally getting dumped and effectively abolished this holiday season.

Compaq AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 15.4" Laptop w/ 1GB, 120GB, DVD Burner $399.00 *

This is the PX Special........is it worth it? Is there anything better outthere in this pricerange on BF...........You guys rock!!!

I failed to mention that this is taxfree.

after all BF Giftcards and coupons are applied it should be

$399.00

- $90.00 Gift cards

- $30.00 off a $250.00 of more purchase

Grand Total:

$279.00

What store (CC, BB, OD, Staples, OM?) and what type of area (upscale, ghetto, etc)

Probably CC, but I'm still waiting for the Walmart items. I probably want the $299,99 Laptop.

The area is upscale, I think. I want to go to the Rockville (Maryland) CC store.

There is one thing in particular to pay attention to in looking at the laptops. So far you've all talked about the AMD Athlon 64 X2 cpu, the dual-core Pentium, and the AMD Turion X2.

What no one has spoken one word about, and is quite important to consider, is battery life and how the various processors will treat that facet of laptop life.

Both the Pentium dual core (the one in the Sony) and the Turion X2, in one of the HP/Compaq laptops, are true mobile computer processors. This means they are designed for lower wattage draw when operating, have some power saving enhancements to reduce wattage draw when the computer is at idle, and run cooler.

On the other hand, the Athlon 64 X2 cpu found in the HP from Best Buy for the $450 price, is a desktop cpu. This is not uncommon as it's much cheaper to take a desktop cpu and jam it into a laptop. May not be the best option, but it sure is cheaper for the maker. But this means the laptop is going to run hotter, the cpu will use more wattage (power) than a mobile processor, and rarely has power saving enhancements (the desktop cpu...at the time the Athlon 64 X2 was created was rarely looked at a place to conserve power, which is different from today, at least from Intel cpu standpoints. Since there still is no AMD equivalent to the Core-based cpus, the Athlons still draw more power in use.)

Just a thing to watch out for. Personally, I'd rather have a mobile processor, either the Intel Pentium dual core (which in the Sony is based on the current Core cpus) or AMD Turion, than a desktop cpu stuck in for cost savings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by masilke

Compaq AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 15.4" Laptop w/ 1GB, 120GB, DVD Burner $399.00 *

This is the PX Special........is it worth it? Is there anything better outthere in this pricerange on BF...........You guys rock!!!

I failed to mention that this is taxfree.

after all BF Giftcards and coupons are applied it should be

$399.00

- $90.00 Gift cards

- $30.00 off a $250.00 of more purchase

Grand Total:

$279.00

Hey,

I'm wondering whre you are getting the $90 worth of giftcards and the $30 off $250 purchase. Are these giftcards you already have or is there a special out there for BF? We are military retired/DOD employed in OK and saw the computer for sale but not the other deals you mention. Thanks for the info. Oh and taxfree is great!

KAthy

Hey,

I'm wondering whre you are getting the $90 worth of giftcards and the $30 off $250 purchase. Are these giftcards you already have or is there a special out there for BF? We are military retired/DOD employed in OK and saw the computer for sale but not the other deals you mention. Thanks for the info. Oh and taxfree is great!

KAthy

Our PX has $20 Gift cards to the first 100 customers on Nov 17th.......Hubby and I = $40.00

BF the Px has the same deal........Hubby and I=$40.00

$10.oo GC from previous purchase

The coupon for the extra $30.00 was in the last Aafes flyer, mailed to us.

HTH Silke

Do you mean there are no taxes on BF??

Sorry my English is not perfect that's why I have to ask .. sorry.

He means that on military bases, which is the BX/AAFES reference, the military don't pay sales taxes on purchases.

One benefit to offset the very real hazards of military life.

Marketing Sheets (Including Specs) for the Sony Laptops at BB.

NR110ES (pdf) $399

NR120ES (pdf) $499 plus other stuff in ad.

I think this is the Canon Multi-Function in the bundle. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think when the sub-$250 laptop comes out that it was draw some attention from these. I wonder if I'll have to overnight it for one of the Sony laptops?

wow, Ft. Rucker Alabama!! My brother went there~~ My nephew lives in Dothan...

I used to live in Birmingham!

I'm sitting at Best Buy starting at 9PM until 5AM when they start giving out the tickets for the Sony laptop for $399.00 for my boyfriend.....Aren't I the BEST??? LOL

Nice find snickstx.

I think you are still going to have to wait in line if you want to snag one of the Sonys. If there is a cheap $250 laptop, people will purchase that until supplies run out. Then, people will begin to buy the next cheapest one, which happens to be the Sony. If you're looking for a doorbuster laptop, you're going to have to wait in line (in almost all cases).

Do you feel the Sony Vaio would have a processor powerful enough for HD viewing or should I look to shell out more money?

I would say the sony is not what I would want to use as my media station, but if you just want to watch a a movie on it, you should be fine (may want a bigger screen). Your problem is that it does not have an HD drive, or a blu-ray drive. So you cant pop in a HD movie or a Blu-ray movie and play it. does that answer you question?

I would say the sony is not what I would want to use as my media station, but if you just want to watch a a movie on it, you should be fine (may want a bigger screen). Your problem is that it does not have an HD drive, or a blu-ray drive. So you cant pop in a HD movie or a Blu-ray movie and play it. does that answer you question?

Well, I'm not really looking for HD movie playback as much as downloaded HD files playback. I have an HDTV so I would use the VGA out to view the files. I'm just wondering what processor speed is required for 720p playback. I read somewhere that 2.4GHz is the minimum for HD playback. Does dual core mean times 2 for the processor speed? For example, the Sony says 1.5 Ghz for processor speed. Since its dual core, does that mean its processor speed is 3.0 Ghz? I really don't need that powerful of a computer as any computer would be an upgrade of the computer I have now. I appreciate any advice.

Our PX has $20 Gift cards to the first 100 customers on Nov 17th.......Hubby and I = $40.00

BF the Px has the same deal........Hubby and I=$40.00

$10.oo GC from previous purchase

The coupon for the extra $30.00 was in the last Aafes flyer, mailed to us.

I'm sad I haven't seen teh $30 deal here. I hope I didn't overlook anything. We did get some coupons for $10 off a $100 purchase. $10 alone doesn't help much, though. Hmm. Guess I'd better look around and watch teh mail. Thanks for explaining.

There is one thing in particular to pay attention to in looking at the laptops. So far you've all talked about the AMD Athlon 64 X2 cpu, the dual-core Pentium, and the AMD Turion X2.

What no one has spoken one word about, and is quite important to consider, is battery life and how the various processors will treat that facet of laptop life.

Both the Pentium dual core (the one in the Sony) and the Turion X2, in one of the HP/Compaq laptops, are true mobile computer processors. This means they are designed for lower wattage draw when operating, have some power saving enhancements to reduce wattage draw when the computer is at idle, and run cooler.

On the other hand, the Athlon 64 X2 cpu found in the HP from Best Buy for the $450 price, is a desktop cpu. This is not uncommon as it's much cheaper to take a desktop cpu and jam it into a laptop. May not be the best option, but it sure is cheaper for the maker. But this means the laptop is going to run hotter, the cpu will use more wattage (power) than a mobile processor, and rarely has power saving enhancements (the desktop cpu...at the time the Athlon 64 X2 was created was rarely looked at a place to conserve power, which is different from today, at least from Intel cpu standpoints. Since there still is no AMD equivalent to the Core-based cpus, the Athlons still draw more power in use.)

Just a thing to watch out for. Personally, I'd rather have a mobile processor, either the Intel Pentium dual core (which in the Sony is based on the current Core cpus) or AMD Turion, than a desktop cpu stuck in for cost savings.

Are all Athlon 64 x 2 destop cpu's? I'm looking at the CC 549.00 HP DV6439nr- Does this have the desktop cpu? What is your take on this one? I want this to last for several years so how important do you think it is to be able to upgrade to 4GB RAM? I couldn't be postive about the ads - is this computer a 2 day sale Friday and Saturday?

Guest ZeroGravity107

What are the specs on the Staples Compaq laptop? What can I upgrade the RAM to?

# Intel® Pentium® dual core T2310 (1.4GHz) processor

# 1GB installed memory

# 80GB Hard drive

# Super Multi 8X DVDñR/RW with Double Layer Support

# 15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display

# Weight 6.4lbs

# Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

# 1 year warranty

for 349

The ram is my main concern.

Are all Athlon 64 x 2 destop cpu's? I'm looking at the CC 549.00 HP DV6439nr- Does this have the desktop cpu? What is your take on this one? I want this to last for several years so how important do you think it is to be able to upgrade to 4GB RAM? I couldn't be postive about the ads - is this computer a 2 day sale Friday and Saturday?

No, not all athlon x2's are desktop cpu's, any more than all intel chips in laptops are desktop cpu's. The cpu in the DV6439nr is a turion (i.e. laptop cpu, not desktop). One important note about AMD cpu's is that they all have a built in feature that cuts the power use when they are not being run hard. This means that when you are just sitting there listening to music, the cpu isn't doing much, so it's amount of power it uses is dropped to save battery. Agreed the laptop cpu's do it better than desktop models, but both utilize it, so you will not have a MASSIVE power/battery life disparity between laptop and desktop AMD cpu's unless you are going to be a heavy user (gamer, video, etc).