>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

This is what the prices will be on Black Friday:

Western Digital 160GB Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive - $69.99

Western Digital MyBook 500GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive - $99.99

The only reason for a price difference is because one is (1) smaller than the other (2) one is made to be portable and one is not. I personally have the 500GB MyBook and it works just fine. You plug it up to your computer and it shows up as the J:\ drive and you just move stuff to it.

One thing to keep in mine when you bring up the topic of "backing up" things. The external hard drive can crash just as much as your main internal hard drive, so DVD's would be just as good or better than a external HDD, you just wouldn't be able to change data on the CD without reburning a CD.

:)

darnn i just dreaming getting but i dont want a laptop without a built in webcam :( i guess i have to wait for staples and walmart to see if the got something better

Check out the HP's in the Circuit City ad. I think i remember their being some with a webcam. Or you could get the $629.99 HP from BB that has a webcam if you want to spend that much....

Is the $399 Sony from BB that much cheaper than normal price? Anyway I can look up the regular cost? Is it really worth camping out in the freezing cold for 12+ hours??? I have little kids, so it would be no easy feat. LOL

I guess it depends on what your time is worth.

Hi I have a question. I am looking to get a laptop and I can't pick between teh following. I like one at CC for $729 in this weeks ad. It is the Toshiba 15.4 #A215-S7444. It is an AMD Turion 64x2 TL-58 (200G HD). BB I think has it for $699 model # A215-S7437 (I would then get Reward Zone points)There is also one on BF at BB the Gateway for $629 # T-1620-8596405 also a Turion 64x2 (250G HD a5 .4 screen) Which one is more recomended? I also saw one that is an Toshiba Intel Centrino Duo Processor for $799 on BF(this one as a 160G HD and a 17" screen) All of the above have 2g ddr. I see at CC on BF there is a HP with 2g memory 160g HD for $549 it is a AMD Athlon. What is the difference between the Intel Centrino and AMD Turion and AMD Athlon. Should I just go to CC or BB today ad p/u one of the ones they have on sale or wait fro BF. Thanks for any help you could give me. The computer I have now is fading fast.

You normally want to use the external hard drive for things that you dont need to have real quick access (pictures, songs, etc) and to install games on your hard drive. That being said, Sims is not a "hardcore" game that is super-taxing, and putting that game on the external drive to free up space should not be a problem. If it is for any other reason than to free up space, putting it external vs internal does not make a difference.

My external is a 500gb. Half is a backup image of my internal, the other half is pictures, songs, etc that if I lose I would be sad, but that is it.

Hi I have a question. What is the difference between the Intel Centrino and AMD Turion and AMD Athlon. Should I just go to CC or BB today ad p/u one of the ones they have on sale or wait fro BF. Thanks for any help you could give me. The computer I have now is fading fast.

An AMD Athlon, Turion or an Intel Core Duo will all treat you just fine. Often you will get the same level of performance for just a little cheaper buying AMD. Any of the three though will take care of the above average user, let alone the average user. Differnece is just the same as Nike and Addidas. Both work just fine, Nike just advertises and marks up more in MOST cases.

Guest mack222

An AMD Athlon, Turion or an Intel Core Duo will all treat you just fine. Often you will get the same level of performance for just a little cheaper buying AMD. Any of the three though will take care of the above average user, let alone the average user. Differnece is just the same as Nike and Addidas. Both work just fine, Nike just advertises and marks up more in MOST cases.

That was the case about 2 years ago, but ever since Intel introduced the Core Duo they have been beating AMD on performance. That being said, AMD may still be able to give you a slightly better value depending on what you are looking for.

Depends on what that software is. What EXACTLY do you REALLY want to have on your new computer. Give as much detail on the program as possible (i.e. Photoshop LE version 6.5.1) Most can be looked up and will tell you if they will work 100%, will need a small update, or wont work at all.

AMD may still be able to give you a slightly better value depending on what you are looking for.

This is exactly what I said. More bang for exactly same buck = AMD for these average folk and both will take care of them. 95% of them will not use the difference between a 5000+ a 6000+, let alone a 5000+ and a Q6850. Most programs, let alone people's average use can take advantage of most dual core or even now quad core offerings.

One thing to keep in mine when you bring up the topic of "backing up" things. The external hard drive can crash just as much as your main internal hard drive, so DVD's would be just as good or better than a external HDD, you just wouldn't be able to change data on the CD without reburning a CD.

:)

Unless you get a DVD+RW. CONS: It won't write or read nearly as fast as an external hard drive, it's more fragile than an external drive, and you only get about 4GB worth of data srotage compared to hundreds of gigs. PROS: It's much more portable since it's a DVD.

On the subject of data storage, there's lots of choices these days, from external hard drives to CD/DVD re-writable discs to flash drives to SD cards. Each one with it's own pros and cons. Choose wisely, people. :yup:

I bought that Acer laptop for teh daughter for Christmas. She wants to play sims and sims 2. I doubt the HD will support it but if I buy her the external HD can she play them from there?

If the Acer laptop is fairly new there shouldn't be a major problem at all with running any of the Sims games or expansion packs on it. :yup: But either way, you can install and run it off of an external hard drive just fine. External USB 2.0 hard drives are basically act just like internal hard drives these days. Just make sure when you install the program make sure you install it to the external drive (J: or whatever it shows up as).

Someone in this forum said something about 12+ to wait on BF. Is that true?? I thought it would be something about 4/5/6 hours..

Does it depend on the area?

Yes it does. If you read up on the forums here you'll see that the more popular areas at the more popular stores (BB, CC, CompUSA, WM) have been known to have people in line as soon as thanksgiving afternoon. :eek: And it depends on what'cha want. The <$400 laptops will most likely go to only the first few dozen people in line while other items will still be there the next day. All depends on your region.

G'luck!

Still waiting for WM's ads (knocks on wood) as well as Fry's Electronics for the final tabs on laptops this BF. The specs seem much better this year for pre-$400 laptops but I was kinda hoping for similar specs as previous years with a further drop in prices instead. There's still hope as FE has a rumor of an even cheaper laptop deal than everyone else. We'll c.