>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

My pricepoint is going to be the problem I think. I'm a graduate student and I just looked at the deals through school and I can get a good deal on a Lenovo x60 for $1075, but at this point I can't justify spending $1,000 on a laptop when I don't really need to have one (I just really want one so that I can study someplace other than at school or at home). I have a feeling I won't find a great deal on an ultraportable notebook, but if you can find something or some great BF deal comes up that would be a awesome.

I have been "lurking" here for several weeks now, trying to sort out the pc/laptop deals vs. my needs and I am just getting more and more confused.

My situation: my 3 yo desktop caught on fire :eek: a few weeks ago and my laptop is old and very slow (my husband retrieved it for me from his boss's "send to the dump" pile!). However, I love being able to use the laptop anywhere vs. confined to the basement office.

Primarily used for internet, Photoshop (editing, digital scrapbooking, etc.) Word, and kids educational-type games.

I don't know if it would be best to replace the laptop or the desktop and if so, which is the best deal. I know I'll need an EHD. My desktop monitor would need to be replaced too.

I would really appreciate some advice if anyone would care to comment. I hope my budget is realistic at about $500 - somewhat flexible.

TIA!:)

Most bang for buck is desktop, not only cheaper for exact same hardware, but also much easier to upgrade. That being said, most people dont want to lug their desktop around the house.

If you want an amazing desktop this BF for a great deal, get in line for the m8226x at CC, I cant find much of anything better that will meet your particular needs for the next 5-6 years with possibly a video card upgrade in 2 years. You can go much cheaper to meet your needs now, but if you want something that is on sale this BF that will take care of you for quite a while in desktops, this should do it and then some.

As for laptops, photoshop use (plus the prominance of Vista right now) tells me that you need to either buy a laptop w/ 2GB of ram, or (and it is relatively easy) upgrade a 1gb ram machine to 2gb. If going from 1 to 2 gb key here is to minimize your cost by buying a laptop that either has 4 ram slots (not that common) or that the 1gb is 1 stick. Otherwise you get 2 x512 sticks that you pretty much toss and put in 2 new 1gb sticks. I would advise checking out the machine in person and if it is 1gb asking them to make sure it has 4 slots, or if not ask them to open the display model and see if it has 4 slots or 2 slots with one open.

If you get a machine w/ 2gb you skip all this but you pay a price premium.

Hope that is a good starter for you, ask anything else that pops up.

Well I have a question... I've been previewing the ads for a few weeks now and I've been talking with my sister-in-law. She wants a laptop and in all-in-one printer. I told her about the deal at Best Buy where you get a laptop, canon all-in-one printer (it's a great printer from what I've seen/read), laptop bag, mouse, and preinstalled anti-virus software for $499.99 but I have to ask is this the best deal out there that'll fit what my sister-in-law wants.

(understanding of course she wants a laptop to mainly surf the web, play music, run chat clieants, mess around with photos but nothing professional with photoshop and such, play DVDs, and maybe edit some home movies in windows movie maker.)

I mean I believe this is the best deal for her, but i just want to make sure, because I don't like it when I'm wrong, :( :)

EDIT - while I'm thinking about it, I know stores like Best Buy are probably going to have a separate insert in the papers which includes more computer and TV deals, would anyone anticipate there being a better deal, where you get a laptop and a good all-in-one printer?

Found an awesome machine http://www.yourdigitalelectronics.com/product_info.php?products_id=211 ...just dont look at the price.

Since I haven't read through all of the forums, you could be joking with putting in this link. However, for those that may not realize you could be, please do not direct them to that website. That site has been considered a scam by many in the tech community. Attached is a link to PCMagazine's story on it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2217528,00.asp

***Mods, since it was a tech news article, I figured I could post it..if not, please delete. Thanks***

I have been lurking here the past week trying to figure out which laptop I want.

What I need to know is :Can you upgrade the memory on the one at staples for 349?

I dont know alot about laptops this will be our first one.we will be mainly using it for homeschool,watching movies and games like sims2,diner dash?

thanks

Since I haven't read through all of the forums, you could be joking with putting in this link. However, for those that may not realize you could be, please do not direct them to that website. That site has been considered a scam by many in the tech community. Attached is a link to PCMagazine's story on it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2217528,00.asp

***Mods, since it was a tech news article, I figured I could post it..if not, please delete. Thanks***

I was serious about the machine, not the price or buying it there. It is an awesome machine, but as myself and the OP had discussed, he was not going to touch anything at this pricepoint. I hope no one was thinking of buying it at the price, but it is an example of a very nice laptop.

I have been lurking here the past week trying to figure out which laptop I want.

What I need to know is :Can you upgrade the memory on the one at staples for 349?

I dont know alot about laptops this will be our first one.we will be mainly using it for homeschool,watching movies and games like sims2,diner dash?

thanks

You can upgrade the memory on virtually every laptop, the problem is going to be price. That will be based on number of slots and how many are used. If you can get me the exact model number, I can answer this rather easily.

It would be nice if someone could post all the BF laptops with prices and pictures side by side. I think it would help clear up some of the confusion. I have been looking for a few weeks now and I have to go back to figure out which computer is being sold where at what price with what specs. If we could see them all at one time, that would be so GREAT! I guess I will just have to wait to Turkey day to put it all together.

Here is the specs for the one on BB.com, the product code is off by one (listed below is Toshiba A135-S7404). Most likely it is the same one being offered on BF, BB has a habit of changing product codes by a couple numbers to stop price matching. Not sure if that is the case here.

Product Features

Intel® Celeron® M processor 530 with 533MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.73GHz processor speed

512MB DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM

15.4" TFT-LCD widescreen display with TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 native resolution; support for 720p

80GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-64MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory; S-video output

CD/DVD media controls for easy one-touch access to movies and music; Internet button conveniently launches default Web browser

5-in-1 bridge media adapter supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital and xD-Picture Card

4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

Built-in Atheros high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; 56 Kbps modem

Weighs only 6 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin for lightweight portability; lithium-ion battery

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 8.5, Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more

Help! I have been reading these post and totally realiize I have no clue what you are talking about. My question to you. I picked up one of those cheap $368 computers at Walmart the day they had the special. Now Dell has the 1000 Vostro for a similar price. What one is better?

Help! I have been reading these post and totally realiize I have no clue what you are talking about. My question to you. I picked up one of those cheap $368 computers at Walmart the day they had the special. Now Dell has the 1000 Vostro for a similar price. What one is better?

I read the Dell was.

Here is the specs for the one on BB.com, the product code is off by one (listed below is Toshiba A135-S7404). Most likely it is the same one being offered on BF, BB has a habit of changing product codes by a couple numbers to stop price matching. Not sure if that is the case here.

Product Features

Intel® Celeron® M processor 530 with 533MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.73GHz processor speed

512MB DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM

15.4" TFT-LCD widescreen display with TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 native resolution; support for 720p

80GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-64MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory; S-video output

CD/DVD media controls for easy one-touch access to movies and music; Internet button conveniently launches default Web browser

5-in-1 bridge media adapter supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital and xD-Picture Card

4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

Built-in Atheros high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; 56 Kbps modem

Weighs only 6 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin for lightweight portability; lithium-ion battery

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 8.5, Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more

That's pretty much it, but the A135-7403 special doorbster is the bundle that includes the Canon PIXMA MP210 (all-in-one photo printer, copier and scanner with ChromaLife100 and dual color gamut technologies). That slight change offers folks something extra, plus prevents price matching hounds and keeps folks from buying the night before. Really a good deal for a basic lite-use laptop. Needs an upgrade in the memory depot, then it'll be a great deal.

Can anyone confirm that the Toshiba Satellite A135-S7403 Laptop is the same as the A135-S7404 in regards to the memory type? I can not find S7403 detailed specs, only 7404. I have two sticks of PC2 5300 512mb that I was hoping to use to upgrade.

Thanks,

Tim

Can anyone confirm that the Toshiba Satellite A135-S7403 Laptop is the same as the A135-S7404 in regards to the memory type? I can not find S7403 detailed specs, only 7404. I have two sticks of PC2 5300 512mb that I was hoping to use to upgrade.

Thanks,

Tim

I believe it's the same, just that the 7403 is the printer bundle (see post above).

And you can use the PC25300 memory. Empty out the two 256MB sticks and put in your 512MB ones.

Hello. I"m not sure this should be in a new thread, but I thought I'd post here because it relates to stores in General on BF

When they open, where the hek do you go? Is there a big sign that says LAPTOPS or one that says CAMERAS or whatever? Is someone handing out stuff, so then you Check out? The check out line must be horrible! I've never been in that situation and don't think I ever will. Thanks for your experience.

You can upgrade the memory on virtually every laptop, the problem is going to be price. That will be based on number of slots and how many are used. If you can get me the exact model number, I can answer this rather easily.

here are the specs:

Compaq Presario C712US Specs:

Display: 15.4″ WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)

Processor: Intel Core Duo T2310, (1.46 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)

Memory: 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Hard Drive: 80GB 5400RPM

Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Wireless: 802.11b/g WLAN

Optical Drive: SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

Ports: 3x USB 2.0, VGA, mic-in, headphone-out, S-Video, LAN, modem

Weight: 6.3 pounds

Dimensions: 14.1 (L) x 10.11 (W) x 1.29 (min H)/1.58″ (max H)