>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Is there anything currently under $800 comparable to any of the BF deals? Specifically I'm looking for something that can run vista, surf, movies, pictures, and the most basic of games (i.e. Counter-Strike 1.6)

Thoughts?

I just bought HP Pavilion dv6426us Notebook

Intel Core Duo Processor T2450, 2GHz, with Centrino Technology, 1GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 15.4-inch WXGA TFT Display, 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, Windows Vista Premium - Webcam

at Office Depot for 649.00 - 10% off - $50 MIR = $534.

The only thing I was not happy about was that we had to go ahead and let the daughter have it for an early Christmas present because there was only a 14 day money back guarantee if we did not like it. She opened last night and played around with it until midnight. With 1GB Vista Premium ran good. Of course she don't have any pitures or anything saved on it yet, but we were very pleased with the out of box item. She was THRILLED. Our main concern was the Processor- we felt like the Intel Centrino Core Duo was the best for that price. Even with the BF deals, we still felt like this was a better deal. We may be wrong, but just or thoughts. Plus, we did not have to fight a crowd our Office Depot was tremendous for service help!!! The manager had just bought himself the same model the last week. I can't remember how long the sale ran, but I know they had some running even through Jan 08. Oh - and I could not find this one on their website. Many deals that they had in the store was not advertised as far as I know. So far we are happy with the deal.

Ok, I am looking for a laptop to replace my two year old Toshiba that died months ago :( I use it to surf the internet and download my pictures. I sell with eBay, I don't play any games other than solitaire. We have a wireless system set up in the house and I travel and take it with me for that too, but still just to do internet (yes, I am addicted)

I am thinking of the Dell on sale right now for several reasons, the price seems reasonable (though I am not that great at comparing all of this) and I don't have to wait in line for it. There are multiple stores that have deals I am very interested in, and only one of me.

Here are the specs of the one I am looking at

Great Deal — Vostro 1000 Notebook

Basic small business mobility

AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53

Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition or Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic

1GB system memory*

120GB* hard drive

15.4" widescreen XGA display

8X DVD+/-RW

Only $399 with exclusive e-mail coupon

I was thinking I would get it with XP instead of Vista as you all seemed to say it would run more smoothly. Is there any reason to not go with XP?

Thoughts on this set up?

Thanks for your help!!!

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering the $299 (AR) COmpaq Presario at CC (Specs Below):

TK-55

1GBDDR2

512mbL2cache

120gbhd

NVIDIA® GeForce® GO 6000M graphics and 288MB of shared videomemory

My question is: how much will I *REALLY* be saving? I'm willing to wait in line to save a couple of hundred bucks, but if this is a normal laptop that shows up in the adds for $350 every other month, I could stand to wait for another non frenzied shopping day.

Thanks

Sanjay

I haven't done much looking yet, but am surprised there's really not much talk about teh $400 sony at BB. It seems pretty good for the price, is there a reason no one has mentioned it?

I think some are waiting for the details on the cheaper laptop to come out next week to compare. I, for one, am looking closely at the $400 Sony as well.

I'm a newbie!!! I'm also ignorant when it comes to computers. Can someone please help me? This is basically what I want to do: I take about 2000 photos a year and I love to make videos. What specs do I want in a laptop and which ones should I avoid? I'd hate to get a computer on BF and then not be able to do what I want it to do. Any info. would be greatly appreciated!:cheesy:

Biggest advice to you vermont is to get an external hard drive, the bigger the better (500gb). That way no matter whether you get a 100gb or a 160 gb internal hard drive you will have room for all your pictures and videos. What do you do to your pics and videos? Just save, watch and share them, or do you edit them on the laptop? This answer will make a very big difference in what type/level of pc you need.

Question:

Are the Acers generally a decent laptop? I tried researching on epinions.com but find no reviews..also is an intel pentium processor better than the AMD's? I have seen a lot of talk about that throughout the thread. I have the opportunity to purchase the Acer Aspire 4315-2490 14.1" Widescreen Laptop (AS4315-2490) Intel Celeron M 530

• 80GB hard drive

• Built-in wireless 802.11bg

• 1GB of DDR2 memory

• Burns CDs, plays DVDs

• ExpressCard/54 slot

for 429.00 with 10% off right now...worth it not to have to wait in line? It is for my dd for school stuff, normal internet use, picture saving.... Thanks you guys rock!!

Question:

Are the Acers generally a decent laptop? I tried researching on epinions.com but find no reviews..also is an intel pentium processor better than the AMD's? I have seen a lot of talk about that throughout the thread. I have the opportunity to purchase the Acer Aspire 4315-2490 14.1" Widescreen Laptop (AS4315-2490) Intel Celeron M 530

• 80GB hard drive

• Built-in wireless 802.11bg

• 1GB of DDR2 memory

• Burns CDs, plays DVDs

• ExpressCard/54 slot

for 429.00 with 10% off right now...worth it not to have to wait in line? It is for my dd for school stuff, normal internet use, picture saving.... Thanks you guys rock!!

for $449 you could have gotten a much better laptop this week at office depot (see the first page of their ad). It had a better cpu, bigger hard drive.

Intel has SOME processors that are faster than the fastest AMD has out. Price for performance, you will pay a lot more for the average intel than the average amd cpu.

i.e. if you pay $140 for a processor you get a faster amd than intel.

See: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=914&model2=882&chart=444 top of page is getting more computing for each $, bottom is less computing for each $ spent.

Otherwise, one is not better or worse than the other.

I've been looking at the Dell Vostro 1500 for $549. I thought it might make a good gift for my husband for Christmas. Does anyone have any input on this computer? Is it good quality? Does the specs look like a good combination? If I get it, it will most likely be with XP because he us used to that and likes it.

Hey dude nirvana4all, I'm back, and sorry it took so long. Do U remeber me? I am the one that talked to you 4 nights ago. my little black box does not have an anntenea on it, and I think it is just so you can have high speed conection. It says "westell" on it and has little green lights that flash. So, I need the router thing, right? and... still have not found a laptop. I got the ads, did not know what to get. I REALLY don't want to drive 100+ miles to wait in line on black friday. What do people do when they have to pee, anyways? Got any suggestions 4 me? would like it to be easy 4 a pcdummie to figure out.Thanks if you have heard of anything lately, i would appreciate that.sunpop

Biggest advice to you vermont is to get an external hard drive, the bigger the better (500gb). That way no matter whether you get a 100gb or a 160 gb internal hard drive you will have room for all your pictures and videos. What do you do to your pics and videos? Just save, watch and share them, or do you edit them on the laptop? This answer will make a very big difference in what type/level of pc you need.

I have a program through "Creative Memories" that I use to edit them. I'm also doing digital scrapbooking. The videos that I have been doing are basically using Windows Movie Maker and putting the pictures to music.

thanks for your help!!!:cheesy:

Well I am very interested in the HP lappy from compusa for my cousin. He wants a laptop for home-school and things like youtube and listen to music, but he also likes to play some games on the side. (nothing extreme like crysis or oblivion or any other highly demanding games).

Anyways I have a quick question. Anyone know if the 17" display is an HD display, I mean if my cousin wanted to download movie trailers in 720p and enjoy them in all their beauty, could he?

Also for a reference anyone know, roughly what desktop graphics card the one in this laptop would compare to? I mean is the GeForce Go 6150 comparable to say a 6800gt graphics card (which is what I currently have)?

Hey dude nirvana4all, I'm back, and sorry it took so long. Do U remeber me? I am the one that talked to you 4 nights ago. my little black box does not have an anntenea on it, and I think it is just so you can have high speed conection. It says "westell" on it and has little green lights that flash. So, I need the router thing, right? and... still have not found a laptop. I got the ads, did not know what to get. I REALLY don't want to drive 100+ miles to wait in line on black friday. What do people do when they have to pee, anyways? Got any suggestions 4 me? would like it to be easy 4 a pcdummie to figure out.Thanks if you have heard of anything lately, i would appreciate that.sunpop

1. remember me-- yup

2. no antanea- very likely means no router (if you can give model #, not just company I can confirm that.

3. Dont know what to get, dont want to drive & wait--Lets have tomorrow's ads come out and I can at least recommend you something at a decent deal that you can get without waiting in line for on friday

4. What do people do when they have to pee --have a friend hold their spot, make enough friends that peopel will let them back in, use a portable urinal, or hold it.

5. what to get for computer newbie--most all of them are ready for ya but we will get things advised to ya.

o.k. Thanks nirvana4all. I signed up on that thing at amizon that you pick or "vote" to see if I could get that one. have to wait to find out. thanks for the help & answering the questions. I will check back here then tomorrow. sunpop

Hey Nirvana appreciate all your tips.:yup: How about a recommendation form today or recent adds for a good overall Laptop under $1000 that will be mainly used for Internet, Office applications and editing /storing pics along with wireless. Yeah Im technically challenged when it comes to hardware:confused:

Is it pretty impossible to get Good Black Friday deals on computers without standing in line all night? My best friend is low on cash and really needs a computer. I am trying to tell him if he keeps up with deals he should probably find one comparable to a Black Friday one with close to the same price.

What do you think? He wouldn't mind a desktop either.

Okay, reasonably good deals this week without standing outside thursday/friday on laptops:

Office Depot- Toshiba p205d-s7436 for $599

- Toshiba a215-s7422 for $549 nicer thant the $599 one except only has 1 gb ram

-HP DV6660se for $849 nicest, most expensive...duh

Circuit City - Acer a55205912 for $599

-HP dv664us w// firdog package $739 you will likely not need this package

-Same Toshiba a215-s7422 at $549 as OD.

I'm looking for a good deal on a lightweight (preferable < 4 lbs) laptop. I'll use it mostly for word processing, internet, etc.. A 7" screen is too small though. The keyboard should be comfortable for typing for long periods. I don't want Windows Vista because some of the software I have (Endnote, Dragon Naturally Speaking) is not compatible with Vista. I have an extra licensed copy of Windows XP. If the computer comes with Vista can I just change it back to XP myself? Also I would like it to have an internal CD/DVD read/writer and at least 1MB RAM. Most of the deals I see out there are for laptops that weigh around 6 pounds. A tablet would be okay too, if it is not too expensive. Most of the ones I see are >$850 and I was hoping to find something closer to $500. Is that realistic? If anyone sees a deal that meets my criteria please let me know.

First off, almost every laptop will have a 14.1" screen or bigger, so finding one over 7" should be super easy. Due to Vista, yet again almost every laptop will come with at least 1GB of ram (I am assuming you meant that instead of 1MB), if you have a copy of xp, it is not a problem at all to downgrade.

Reading you spec needs, then the only thing we need to do is find something that meets your $ and weight requirements. Most will have a cdrw & dvd. Will see what I can find.