Christmas traditions?

queenki

The day after Thanksgiving, the tree goes up since I was a kid. On Christmas Eve, we go to mass at 4:00 then after mass, we all go to Mom & Dad's. The kids read the Christmas story from the Bible or a children's book with the story that is easier for them to read and then they read Twas the Night Before Christmas. They take turns depending on who knows how to read and who wants to do it. Then we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Mom sometimes makes a cake or cupcakes, we have sandwiches and then open up gifts from each other, because we don't always get together on Christmas Day now that we all have our own families. The other thing the kids take turns with is putting baby Jesus in the manger after we sing Happy Birthday. My brother, sister and myself took turns doing this when we were growing up and now our kids do it.

christmas traditions

1) shopping on bf with my mamma and sometimes sisters

2) argue with hubby to use icicles or not (I always win and icicles are everywhere)

3) big family thing with my family on christmas eve, then to see my dad (ok he's family too but not really the man who raised me), then to church, then put out the milk, cookies and carrots or celery, then put out the perfectly wrapped santa gifts (hubby always laughs at this and points out that she really doesn't care what they look like but I know she is impressed), then try to get a few hours of sleep

4) christmas morning at home, stockings first always, breakfast, then to hubbys parents for dinner

5) get a migraine (not my favorite tradition, but a tradition all the same)

It depends on where we are. We live in a state away from all relatives, so if we're here, we do different things than if we travel to visit others.

at home: On Christmas eve, we have a dinner and a couple hours before bed, we open a couple gifts. We might watch a movie.

Christmas morning, the kids are allowed to get up and get into their stocking whenever they want. When we get up, they show us everything they got, and we're always "wowed" by Santa's gifts--however, only 1 child is convinced by that now. We make breakfast, and after breakfast, we open all the rest of the gifts. Everybody plays with their new stuff, and mom (me) starts gathering up the wrapping/bows. Dh always heads outside to start a fire. We snack on the leftovers from the night before.

This year, we're leaving the morning after Christmas, so we'll get to do gifts here, then load the RV and head out to see family for a few days. Will be nice not to transport all the gifts back and forth, as that's what we did last year. Was a LOT of loading and stashing in the RV.

I think it's safe to say we have four Christmas Traditions every year in my family.

1- Shop BF!!

2- I read "The Night Before Christmas" to my kids before putting them to bed.

3- My wife wakes me when she gets home from work. (usually around 3am.) and I play Santa.

4- My dad's family usually has a Holiday get-together every year. It's a pot-luck dinner/dessert. We bring a polyana gift ($20-30) and throw them into a pile, then pick oldest to youngest. Sometimes we make games out of it. Kinda dorky....but it's the Holidays..what do you expect??

:beer:

MIL was born on x-mas day so we usually celebrate with her on x-mas eve. Everyones there but she wont let us open gifts till morning. She lives next door so she wakes us up like at 5a.m. then the kids open stockings and presents then go to her house for a huge family breakfeast then we run from house to house (which i hate) to give and collect presents,..this year I want to change up things and let the kids relax all day on x-mas eve and play with their gifts.

There's one tradition I'm hoping to forget this year.

"FORGETTING TO BUY THE F-ING BATTERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I've done that the past two years and luckily enough I had enough lying around for the kids presents.

go to batteries.com and order ahead so you don't forget, they have some good deals as seen here on gd.

I miss those days. Ever since things changed within my family with my moms condition, all holidays are not the same. I try to not think about it. Instead I focus on my niece and nephews, making their holidays near what mine was when i was younger.

But i do miss the family gatherings, and just talking to my mom. So don't take things for granted, that time is so precious. And that happened 4 years ago tomorrow actually, so the holidays are a bit of a downer for me.

DH takes the kids to mass Christmas Eve morning while I stay home and fix breakfast. He comes home with all the in-laws and we have breakfast, then open gifts to each other. We then visit my Granny since it is her birthday, and then we go to my Grandmothers for Christmas Eve dinner and open gifts there. We come home, read "Twas the Night Before Christmas.." and get out gifts.

Christmas morning we get the kids up at 6:00 open gifts and get ready. We head to my Mom's at 8:00 and open gifts there. Then we go home for an hour or two and head to my granny's for Christmas Dinner (A VERY formal thing) and open gifts there as well. We come home around 11:30 and are beat!