Christmas traditions?

queenki

What is your christmas traditions? My whole family get together on christmas eve, we eat, visit, sing christmas carols, etc, exchang and open presents. Then everyone goes home and does their own things for christmas day, so we can spend time with our spouses families. The kids make cookies for santa, Santa puts toys together and sets them out. Mrs. Claus brings the remaining gifts out. The kids wake up and play and mommy cooks breakfast. My mom and my dh family comes over and I cook dinner.

Well each year we put up the tree while watching National Lanpoons

Each year me and DH fuss over getting Decor out

I wrap presents on my living room floor watching tv with kids and DH.

We load up all of the toys that are no longer played with and someone comes and picks them up. I make sure that both of my kids thank the man for helping the kids who don't have as much as we do. Then I tear up!!!!! We let the kids open one small gift from under the tree so they don't feel bad about letting their stuff go.

On the 23rd we have a super big dinner at DH's papa's house. Grandparents, 4 brothers and wives, 1 daughter and husband. All of their kids and all of their kids. I get my mom to come. There is just tons of kids. My dh is a twin and has and older brother. they each have 2 kids and wive. it's a dressy thing, I like it. I love dh's family, all of it!!! It's cool to see everyone together. And to think back how much some of those kids have grown!!!!

On the 24th we go to church. Since my Dad passed away 2 years ago. I get my mom to stay at my house. Then we go to DH's moms house get gumbo and open presents. The kids play in all of the paper. there is eric 9, ally 3, jackson 4, ella 1, Grant 4 and Iraland 1. A bunch of kids!!!!

We go home get the kids in bed and start putting stuff together. I like having my mom there to help.

We wake up. The kids are in shock!!!! Dh always has a bunch of stuff. I get him small things and a few expensive stuff. I love buying presents. I like to buy the prefect gift.

We go back to Eric's papa's and open more gifts. We eat at eric's granny's and we go home to play.

Eric's family has been great about my mom being there for everything. I couldn't ask to better married into a better family.

Well we always go the day after Thanksgiving (after shopping) or the weekend after to the Christmas tree farm and cut down a tree. We usually put at least the lights on that night.

Christmas eve we let the kids open one present each and then we go to my brother in laws for Christmas eve dinner. We stay there till later in the evening come home and the kids go immediately to bed after putting out cookies and coke for Santa (he does not like milk at our house ;)). The next morning they get up whenever and we open presents and pretty much do nothing all day lol. We usually fix snack type food to eat during the day.

For us its the same thing every year.

First I tune the TV to TBS at 6pm, then we head off to my Aunts house for a big Christmas Eve dinner. Then we go home and let Madison open one present (her christmas pjs), then we set out cookies/milk and send her to bed. After that Santa comes and pulls out all the wrapped presents from under the tree and leaves his big present (and stocking) in front of the pile. The big present has been put together and works so its ready to go, which of course he does at our house after Madison is in bed LOL. (Actually I watch A Christmas Story while getting the presents out and dh is putting the big one together. Then we eat the cookies, and go to bed)

So what do you guys do on xmas eve? :D

Julie

Before I was married my family would go out on our annual Christmas Eve FEAST! The past 4 or 5 years we've been going to Benihana's Japanese Steakhouse... mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Nowadays, we head over to my wife's family's house and do the Christmas thing there, so we have Christmas day to hang out with my extended family.

Boy I miss Benihana's....

On Christmas Eve we go to my parents or my inlaws (we rotate every year) during the day then that night we go to my grandma and grandpas then on x mas day we do santa here, go to church, go to my dh grandparents house, then go my other grandparents house, then to his grandmas, the to either his parents or my parents witch ever one we didn't go to..we just go go go on chirstmas, we have a total of 7 x mas to go too.

We watch Christmas movies -- last year we watched the Hallmark channel a lot. They had some really good ones. We usually drink hot chocolate too and munch on some baked cookies.

Then we let the kids each open a Christmas gift each on Christmas Eve.

We have decided to not buy Christmas presents for each other anymore (we have birthday gifts right in there anyway DH's is Dec. 19th and mine is Jan. 11th) and instead we are each getting an angel off of the Salvation Army Christmas tree to buy for. We usually do one angel a year, but since we won't be buying for each other, we will get two each year from now on.

We've been doing our christmas celebration on christmas eve for years. We switched to christmas morning when my oldest was two. Last year we had the adult gift exchange and such christmas eve after the kids went to bed so christmas morning was all about the kids. It was great. I'm not sure we're going to be able to do it this year as I've got one that's old enough to want to see everyone's presents not just his own.

Before I was married my family would go out on our annual Christmas Eve FEAST! The past 4 or 5 years we've been going to Benihana's Japanese Steakhouse... mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!Nowadays, we head over to my wife's family's house and do the Christmas thing there, so we have Christmas day to hang out with my extended family.

Boy I miss Benihana's....

we have a Shoguns here, which is just like Benihana's we LOVE it-I bet you do miss Benihana's, wonderful restaurant

Christmas Eve for us starts out like most peoples Christmas mornings...

while I make breakfast the kids grab their stockings,after we eat,we open gifts.

Then we all get cleaned up and midafternoon we go to dh's dads house for christmas Eve Festivities-at some point in the afternoon my ex comes and gets our 2 older children,later that evening we head to my moms for cocktails,appetizers,fun&games something like Christmas Bingo-very informal but fun-since my mom doesnt do her Christmas until Dec 31, there arent a lot of relatives there at this time-so we get some quality time with Grandma.

Once back at home we get cheese & crackers ready for Santa,track santa on the norad,tuck dd into bed,snuggle up and read The Night Before Christmas, then Mr & Mrs Clause get busy getting Santa gifts out(3gifts for each child from Santa-this represents the 3 Kings/Wisemen who brought gifts to baby Jesus) and munching on cheese & crackers :D

Finally collapse in bed only to wake up and go to 3 more Houses Christmas Day~

We have a huge party on Christmas Eve, both of our friends and families come, along with some of their friends and family. We go from 7 to about 10 and exchange gifts with everyone we won't see the next day.... we have lots of games for the kids and tons of food... then most leave and the diehards stay for karaoke and fun... go to bed about 1am... put the kids down, put out cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer....do the Santa bit then go to bed... the next morning we go open our gifts then go to both gmas.

we have a Shoguns here, which is just like Benihana's we LOVE it-I bet you do miss Benihana's, wonderful restaurant

mmmmmm... you don't even know!!! you'd think i would be 300lbs by as much as I love food!! haha

especially food at Benihana....

Until this year, my sister in law and her family would come over and we'd exchange gifts. This year however, they moved to CA so it will be just the kids, dh and me. We'll probably watch a Christmas movie, then the kids will open their two gifts (pj's and ornament). After they go to bed, we do the gifts from Santa out and try to get in bed before 3 am lol.

We go to early church service. After church we drive around for a while to see lights. After dinner if the kids (meaning DH) aren't tired we stop by my parents house for dessert. Once home again we get the cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer ready. Then we watch a movie and then rush the kids off to bed, once they are asleep. DH & I unload Santa's gifts.

My hubby's aunt throws a HUGE Christmas Eve party every year. We usually go to that and then head home. We let the kids open 1 present each (pajamas). The we turn off the lights except for the tree lights and watch The Little Drummer Boy. Kids go to bed and hubby and I put out the presents.

We used to go visiting various family members exchaning gifts beforie heading over to my MILs for the evening. It got be to much for us with a small child in tow. By the time we got home around 9ish, our DD would still be wired and it would take a while for her calm down enough to got to bed. 2 years ago when I was pregnant with our DS we decided to make some changes on Christmas eve.

So now on Christmas Eve morning we will go out to breakfest with my mom and anyone else in the family who does not have to work. After breakfest we will go to my mom's for a bit so the kids can open one gift each from her. From there we will go visiting other family members and friends that we will not see on Christmas. By mid afternoon we head to the local market to get seafood for our dinner and then head home. Once home the kids will get to open their gifts from each other (it will be a toy) so while they play with their new toys, I will finish any prep work that needs to be done for Christams (we are hosting breakfest and dinner). We will enjoy a nice dinner and wait for Santa to make his rounds on the fire truck. He usually gets to our neighborhood around 6ish. Afterwards the kids get a bath and then we all sit down together and watch some Christmas movies on TV. Before the kids go to bed they will put out milk and the special cookies DD made for Santa and DH will read twas the night before to them. Once the kids are in bed DH and I will relax and enjoy the decorations and watch another Christmas movie. A little before midnight we will put out the presents and get ready for bed.

My dh usually has to work until around 2 on Christmas Eve. It stinks - but it's his job! He always gets Christmas off (most people are not that lucky...) and this year he will have the day off afterwards.

We have a get-together/gift exchange that evening with my moms side at our house! Works out nice because I get it all clean and nice for that party - and after everyone leaves all I have to do is pick things up and vacuum!

My little brother and his wife (just married this year...) come over at about 11 and they help us get everything out for the kids and put together and set up! It's a lot of fun!

Erin ~ 24y/o SAHM to 3 cuties ages 4 and under... plus 1 on the way :) :) :)

dh and our 2 kids go with my parents and my sister and her 3 kids to the nursing home to see our grandmother. She loves to see all the kids together, but for a short time as the younger ones can get rather roudy. We used to all go to her house and take KFC to eat but now she can't have it so after, the kids insist we take KFC home to eat. They eat, set out cookies and milk (ds17 plays along with ds5) and off to bed so dh and I can finish wrapping gifts and putting together anything that needs it while watching A Christmas Story. Yes, I am a last minute wrapper....I confess!!! ;)

• 1 month later...
The first Saturday of December we go downtown and watch the Christmas paradeThen we go to a local holiday craft show. That evening just before dark, we go to a local park that is decorated for Christmas. At dark, the park is lit, and there is a college group who sing, dance, and play Christmas music. We always take lawn chairs and hot chocolate and have a great time. After the park we walk a couple of blocks downtown and go to each of the shops are open, hot chocolate, hot apple cider, and cookies are served in each. There are Christmas Carolers, dressed as Dicken's characters, and carriage rides. The kids also get pictures with Santa made that night on the Square. The next week we go to the Christmas concert at the high school and listen to the band play Christmas music. After the concert we drive to a local church which portrays a living nativity every year. We also have the annual Tour of Lights.

• 3 weeks later...

I have four sisters. The Sunday before Christmas, we have a progressive dinner. Sometimes we get so busy in December that we don't get to each others houses and this way we all get to admire how everyone decorates their house. We switch every year as to who has appetizers, main course, desserts etc... We will open the gifts from the sister's house we are at during the course of the meal. We always go to our parents house Christmas Day and it was soooo many presents for 5 sisters, 5 husbands, 8 kids, two parents and any other aunts,uncles, cousins or whoever else shows up. My mom always buys a ton so it is an event to open the gifts from her.

Christmas eve we will go to the Candlelight service at church. The 3 kids always sleep in our room Christmas eve. DS10 has sleep issues and I always worry that he is going to walk in on Santa! One year the child took his sleeping meds and was still awake at 2am. I finally gave him a second dose. I kept having to reset the alarm to make sure I would wake up! He had been laying down quietly but was so excited he couldn't fall asleep! I think he finally went to sleep around 3:30 or 4. I was quite sleepy that Christmas day.

Well, we always go out last minute Christmas shopping on Christmas eve day. Yes, we are a gluton for punishment, lol. Don't ask why, its just become a tradition. Christmas eve, we have an simple, quick dinner of sandwiches and salad or something. We open a few gifts, usually their gift from grandma, pajamas from us, and their annual ornament. They put the ornaments on the tree and wear their new pj's to bed. We read The Night Before Christmas, put the reindeer food out in the yard, and hang the stockings. I love it. I don't know what I will do when my little ones are too old to do the reindeer food and stocking thing, lol. Considering my youngest is only 5 and my 8 yr. old is a strong believer in Santa, I think we have a few more years yet.

After the kids are in bed, I sit on the family room floor wrapping last minute presents and putting ribbons and bows on the ones already wrapped while watching A Christmas Story movie on tv. Then, I haul all the goodies out and put them around the tree. Gosh, I'm not looking forward to the kids growing up and wanting video games and other small gifts. Just not as much fun to place around the tree as those nice big boxes containing Geo Trax, Cabbage Patch kids, and race tracks. sigh.

Elena

We have several traditions but I will just post about our latest one. I have an aunt who turned 90 this past May. She lives about 100 miles from here. Since she spends Christmas with her daughter and her family, her daughter and son in law will bring her over here at some point between Christmas and New Years to spend a few days with us and her sister that lives here in Cincinnati. We have a great time, exchanging gifts. While we don't have the turkey/ham thing that we do at Christmas, do have a special easy to prepare meals. Most of the time, I have to fix my Roll Ups because that is a huge favorite and of course we have other goodies too.

We don't really have any traditions yet, but usually DH and I take turns going to mass on Christmas eve (the kids can't sit still for 2 minutes so they stay at home with one of us while the other one goes). We also go driving around to look at lights often and remind the kids about the reason for the season (they're starting to understand). We also do the angel tree and the kids love dropping money into the red kettles. I bake cookies and take care of all the presents (while watching midnight mass on tv) and end up getting to bed about 4am. The one thing we always do is call back home to the Philippines and talk to family even though we can do live chat via computer :)

Christmas Day is also my dad's birthday, so I always take a quiet moment to think of him and imagine what things would be like if he were still with us. FIL's birthday is two days after so I do the same for him as well.