Will Black Friday Be Different This Year Then In Years Past???

bigjimslade

Let me ask this and see what people think. Do you think BF will be different this year from years past? The reason I ask this is we saw a big change in BF and I was wanting to know do you think more stores will make changes to keep us off guard?

If you dont remember last year on the week of Thanksgiving Wal Mart issued there offical ad on Monday and Best Buy on Tuesday. Giving the general public days in advace to look at the ad and make there game plans. Also Wal Mart aired special TV ads during the games on Thanksgiving for extra specials.

Do you think BF will be different this year? Do you think other stores will pull stunts like BB and WM?

Lets Talk! Post your feelings.

If I'm not mistaken last year they issued their ads in that gigantic newspaper on thanksgiving like they always do. But I think they did release the ads in the stores a few days earlier. I like that practice and hope they continue it again.

One major difference in BF tactics we saw last year was from Wal-Mart. For some reason they decided to offer a pre-BF doorbuster sale on a laptop weeks before BF instead of offering one on BF itself. That was very unusual, but it seemed to work out for some people. I'm kinda hoping to see 'em do the same thing this year to save me some time on BF.

Every BF we seeem to see new things being tried out making each BF a little different than the previous. For the most part, I think most things have been successful. Expect lots more changes to come. :yup:

If I'm not mistaken last year they issued their ads in that gigantic newspaper on thanksgiving like they always do. But I think they did release the ads in the stores a few days earlier. I like that practice and hope they continue it again.

One major difference in BF tactics we saw last year was from Wal-Mart. For some reason they decided to offer a pre-BF doorbuster sale on a laptop weeks before BF instead of offering one on BF itself. That was very unusual, but it seemed to work out for some people. I'm kinda hoping to see 'em do the same thing this year to save me some time on BF.

Every BF we seeem to see new things being tried out making each BF a little different than the previous. For the most part, I think most things have been successful. Expect lots more changes to come. :yup:

WM issued there ad online on Monday and the next day BB went into damage control and issued theres on Tuesday.

I hope we will get more good stuff this year and the ads will leak out early.

WM issued there ad online on Monday and the next day BB went into damage control and issued theres on Tuesday.

I hope we will get more good stuff this year and the ads will leak out early.

Ah. Now I remember them doing that online. Let's hope they do it again this year, even offer them online.

I think the age of electronics has forever changed BF. Its no longer just moms out at 4am for the hottest toy. It seems the BF ads arent even so much about toys anymore. But then again my daughter is older so I dont look for toys. The lines are starting earlier then ever. My daughter got in line at BB around midnight with about 100 ppl in front of her. We got the 22" monitor though!! YEAH! I love it.

Well based upon the economy in this area being as bad as it is, I think the deals will be a lot better than previous years, since people arent spending as much $ as they used to for X-Mas 7 yrs ago. Currently in my area there are a lot of foreclosures so retailers will have to think of something.

Last year we saw Walmart pull a pre-emptive strike, which caused Best Buy to bite hard. Then Walmart imploded on too many hokey specials and a second helping of Garth Brooks.

It was definitely one to be remembered! We also saw Circuit City as a big loser, spawning layoffs, and subsequent lawsuits by former employees.

I look to see them as being more cautious about their promises, and going light on the LCD televisions this year.

I remember seeing little flyers at Walmart advertising BF prices on items just a few days before Thanksgiving. In particular, they had an ad for the Star Wars Lightsaber kit, which was also a BF items somewhere else, I can't remember where just now. Anyway, it was either cheaper at Walmart or close enough in price to not be worth going to yet another place on BF, so we got it at Walmart. It felt like dirty tactics to me, but I guess that's business for you. Did anyone else notice this kind of thing?

The extra sale stuff that WM added at the last minute was chaos at the WM I shopped at. Management didn't even know of a few of the items and weren't sure they got them in. I was lucky and they were taking names and numbers for what I wanted. They called me the next day and I picked up the computer I was after.

I will be doing alot of my shopping online on Thanksgiving day for the 4th year in a row. I did that at BestBuy.com last year and selected in store pickup. Of course, the doorbusters weren't included - but that was fine by me.

I really hope if walmart attempts the Thanksgiving Day sales again this year that there's something more to get excited about than bathrobes and garth brooks. It was a novel idea, to have all this extra merchandise hidden back for a special sale and all that, but I can't help to wonder if the products selected wasn't just some overstocked merchandise they couldn't ditch. :tongue1:

Maybe this year they'll plan in advance for extra-special-secret-sale-products.

what irks me is...... jeez....even if I get in line at like midnight now, it still doesn't guarantee that I will get what I want. I don't like that the lines are forming earlier and earlier every year. I like to spend Thanksgiving with my family! Not sitting on cold concrete!

My biggest gripe is probably with Best Buy. They will have a great deal, advertise the hell out of it, put it on the front page of the BF ad and then have only 10 in stock on BF. Give the people what they want! At least carry a REASONABLE number of items that are door busters!

I also feel that there will be a lot more internet deals coming this year. But for some reason, if you are a true shopper, there is nothing like doing the hands on shopping on BF!

what irks me is...... jeez....even if I get in line at like midnight now, it still doesn't guarantee that I will get what I want. I don't like that the lines are forming earlier and earlier every year. I like to spend Thanksgiving with my family! Not sitting on cold concrete!

My biggest gripe is probably with Best Buy. They will have a great deal, advertise the hell out of it, put it on the front page of the BF ad and then have only 10 in stock on BF. Give the people what they want! At least carry a REASONABLE number of items that are door busters!

I also feel that there will be a lot more internet deals coming this year. But for some reason, if you are a true shopper, there is nothing like doing the hands on shopping on BF!

another reason there are alot more people out on BF is sites like this one. I know gottadeal.com was in news stories twice a day or more in print and TV during the months of Oct and Nov of last year.

another reason there are alot more people out on BF is sites like this one. I know gottadeal.com was in news stories twice a day or more in print and TV during the months of Oct and Nov of last year.

GottaDeal.com has really launched off the last few years. Last year was indeed a biggie for Brad and company far as the print and news media and online advertising. I think this year is gonna be even bigger once we get just a lil' closer to BF.

Kinda makes you wonder just how many registered users this forum can handle. Really hope they battened down the hatches this year. :gdparanoid:

GottaDeal.com has really launched off the last few years. Last year was indeed a biggie for Brad and company far as the print and news media and online advertising. I think this year is gonna be even bigger once we get just a lil' closer to BF.

Kinda makes you wonder just how many registered users this forum can handle. Really hope they battened down the hatches this year. :gdparanoid:

Remember when Brad had to turn off the online users list on the front page because it was causing the site to load slow and crash? He needs to remember to do it again this year. I hope this site gets bigger and bigger.

Remember when Brad had to turn off the online users list on the front page because it was causing the site to load slow and crash? He needs to remember to do it again this year. I hope this site gets bigger and bigger.

From the online users section:

Most users ever online was 1,823, 11-22-2006 at 11:56 AM.

Ah, the memories. :cheesy:

I have wonder why they disappear after BF I like saving money all year long bf is just the frosting so to speak.

I think people see this site as only a Black Friday site as there are many sites out there that are active druing BF. I know Brad and the crew has been trying to let people know that this is not the case.