How do you budget for Christmas money? How much do you spend?

jarerice

How do you budget for christmas money?

I save up change. I do the surveys and it Target's clearance. I try to get everything with just one pay check. I get paid bi-weekly.

I would like to say that I only spend 1000.00, but I know I always end up spending more.

Sad to say, we dont really budget for it. we end up taking a couple

of DH's Part-time paychecks and use them. That way, we're not cutting

into our reg. pay and hurting ourselves financially.

I'd say I spend over $500. It keeps increasing every year. :)

I buy all year too so we don't budget either. I just hit sales when I see them and keep an ongoing list of what I've bought and what ideas I have so I know what to look for.

As far as black friday goes I always use gift cards we get from our credit card points and then my hubby always gives me a pretty decent amount to take with me. I'm usually just down to finishing up stockings by that point, but I always buy extra stuff since the sales are so good :)

Haven't bugeted in the past and it has bitten me in January :) I am sure I spend about $1500 but then I of course overbuy for my kids, I buy for my mom and dad, dh's mom and dad, 2 nephew's, 2 niece's, my grandma, and 7 cousins who are younger than me, and of course dh and I buy for each other - some years it is more than others although last year I spent about $200 on dh.

I spend about $20 per niece and nephew and $10 per cousin.

This year will be so nice because my last car payment is in a couple of days!! Yay!! That free's up $500 a month which I will be putting into savings for BF and Christmas.

i used to keep all my bills paid up so when dec came i could hold off paying them till jan, money was really tight so that was the only way, yeah it would double up my bills, but i would pay them off in 2 months. now i managed to save. when i would get a tax check i would just put money on the side for birthday, holidays or when something comes up that's needed. so thats what i do now, just keep it on the side. but lately it seems i'm spending more then i'm saving.

i guess i spend about $300 on each one and they get about 35 gifts each. this yr their getting way less then that, since they're getting mostly video games and electronic toy.

I save up out of each check about three months before BF all the way up til Xmas...and that gives me just enough....and I can buy gradually up to that point...if I have to put anything on credit in that time, I pay it off as soon as the next check comes in so I'm not putting any xmas gifts on credit....

• 3 weeks later...
No I don't set a budget.....I try and find the HOT items selling on Ebay and grab them if I can. Last year it was the PS3 and Wii's and elmos that helped with my shopping expences. With 6 kids saving all year is hard to do....But DH will work all the overtime he can!!! Gotta love him

I start shopping in September and try to stay in a budget less than $1000.00 (excluding my mom and dad's gifts). I have a huge huge family of 13 aunts and uncles, not including their children and grandchildren. Which sends my list of people well into the 50's and that's only my mom's side :D

Needless to say, I don't buy everyone a present and not everyone shows up to the parties. So I buy a bunch of discounted gifts every black friday and keep them wrapped in my trunk just in case. If need be, I take a breather from the party fill out a name tag, rip off the post-it description of what the gift is, and slip a present under the tree for the loved but forgotten partier :D

We have an account at the credit union that we set aside money in. This is just an all purpose savings. I usually get about a $500 Christmas bonus, so I use that and then get the rest out of the credit union. I don't even know how much we usually spend. We have lots of people to buy for. I would guess it's around $1500.

I opened a second checking last month to use for specific things and have been putting lottery winnings into it. The way it's been going i'm going to have a fun BF (especially if I keep getting $50 and up winners like I have been for the last two weeks... yesterday I won $250!) My husband is happy to provide me the money to play because I keep winning :D We play responsibly, though, and never spend more than we can afford.

As to how much I'll spend, I have no idea since I have to send to family and friends overseas as well as buy for people over here. Ask me after the holidays :)

I have a spreadsheet that shows what bill is due on what paycheck. I will bulk up on paying bills the 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after BF paycheck so I only have a few, if any, bills that I need to pay with my BF paycheck. Then when I run out of money from that paycheck that's it!

I don't have a budget either and I couldn't tell you what I spend to be honest. I just keep my eyes open for a good bargin and pick stuff up when I do. I have a basic list of things I always get the kids: 3 outfits, 3 pj's, socks, underwear, shoes/boots. The rest is either picked up because I know they will like it (such as I got DSD Hannah Montana perfum) or it is on their lists. All 3 kids get the same amount of presents right now since they are close in age but as they get older I will start spending a certain dollar amount since teenagers want more expensive stuff.

I do a budget, but it is a per person budget. It is usually set during the previous Christmas Season, and I tend to start buying on December 26.

Sometimes I go over, but that is usually because I see an item I know someone would just love, and I have to get it for them.

The total this year is $500.00.

I don't really budget. I buy things on clearance (usually at Target) throughout the year. Usually I take everything out and make a list of what I have for who and figure up who is lacking. I then purchase a few more things to even everything out. I come up with a budget for BF after seeing the ads and going over bills.

• 1 month later...

Dh puts in a week straight of work, and all the overtime takes care of Christmas. We also have 3 December birthdays in our family, so that gets taken care of w/ overtime too. Also, I sell stuff on ebay and use the money from that towards Chrstmas too. We usually budget about $100. per person in our family, but I admit, we spend more than that when I factor in the stuff I buy with my money too. More like $150. per person.

Elena