When do you start decorating for Christmas?

jarerice

This is getting me seriously excited for Christmas!!!

We usually decorate on Thanksgiving or Black Friday. We've got a ton more stuff this year though since I hit the clearance sales last year. Actually, I don't even really remember what I bought. That's going to be exciting in itself opening up the boxes and seeing what's in there!! :D

I usually try to do it over the Thanksgiving weekend. When my oldest was younger I would wait until after his birthday (another Dec. 1 child!!) but with work schedules, the long weekend works better. We haven't decorated outside for several years as my husband is now disabled, but I long to put lights on the tree out front-- maybe oldest child and I will tackle it this year! Of course indoors is fairly easy as the Snowglobes stay out year round so the tree and if I can swing it, some greenery (we have a small house).

• 2 weeks later...
We use to put outdoor lights up in October but after buying over $150 in lights last year that almost all ended up ruined I'm not doing outside decorations this year. For indoor decorations, we started putting everything up the day of the Michigan Wolverines and Ohio State game. We start on stuff before the game, set down together to watch the game then finish after the game while discussing the game.

HAHAHAHA... I almost put mine up yesterday! ALMOST. I have a lovely fake tree that can go up and down at a moments notice. I'm big on themes and details so I need time to get it right, make a list of what I need to shop for to complete my decorations. Truth be told, I'll probably put it up this week since it's been on my mind ever since the stores had theirs up.

Everything has to be perfect for party time December 24th!

I'll be putting up the outside lights sometime in October, depending on weather. DH is NO help with that, so it takes me awhile to crawl around on the roof getting things just right.

Then the inside decorating will start either the week of Thanksgiving (if we're going somewhere else for Tday) or Thanksgiving weekend if we're having everyone to our house.

The outside lights come on late Thursday night/early Friday morning when I leave to go shopping.

November 1st. I go straight from Halloween to Christmas!! Oh I can't wait!!!

So true!!! It takes us almost a week straight to get the outside lights up and then another week to do the inside. We decorate everything inside and out that can be decorated.

We put our tree up about the second week of Oct. But we put orange lights and paper pumpkins and fake maples leaves all over it and call it our harvest tree. Then right after Halloween we sit and make hand turkeys for every member of the family(there are only 4 of us so we each make 2) and we place the new turkeys as well as the ones from past years on the tree. The on black Friday we carefully undecorate and redecorate for Christmas.

I also hang a orange paper chain around my front room. and the same night we make the turkeys we make strips of paper that we write what we are thankful on and add them to the chain that was hung in Oct. I have little kids so last year it was thing like marshmallow and hot wheels. I LOVE IT!!!!

Oh and we are North Idaho so my DH does the outside lights the first weekend in Nov and then we turn them on with our own family lighting ceremony the evening of black Friday. We even make sure to put sparkles away during the 4th of July so that we have some just for that night. We turn on the Christmas lights and light sparklers----OK so we may just take this holiday thing a little to serious----NAAAAAA