What time are you gonna get in line on BF'07?

nedsw33

How Early are You Planning to Go Out BF?  

619 members have voted

1. 1. How Early are You Planning to Go Out BF?

• After stores open
    • Just about opening time (5 AM or later opening)
    • ½ Hour before (4:30AM)
    • 1 Hour before (4 AM)
    • 2 Hours before (3 AM)
    • 3 Hours before (2 AM)
    • 4 Hours before (1 AM)
    • 5 Hours before (Midnight)
    • 6-12 Hours before (5-11 PM Thanksgiving)
    • Earlier Thanksgiving Day
    • Wednesday 11/21

WOW! I have been black friday shopping for years and I feel like a newbie. My nearest BB is Altoona PA that just opened last year. I was really wanting to go this year and get a computer and a laptop but to stand in line 24 hrs? How do you all do it? How do you keep warm? And what if its raining or sleeting? What about bathroom breaks? Any suggestions? Thanks all.

Well, it depends on my work schedule! I should be off work by 11pm, so, that means that I'll probably be doing my shopping at Walmart or Ace for a new bike. I don't need to camp out at BB or CC or any electronics place this year, thank God! I already have my laptop and my tv is holding up..lol.

WOW! I have been black friday shopping for years and I feel like a newbie. My nearest BB is Altoona PA that just opened last year. I was really wanting to go this year and get a computer and a laptop but to stand in line 24 hrs? How do you all do it? How do you keep warm? And what if its raining or sleeting? What about bathroom breaks? Any suggestions? Thanks all.

To keep warm if you live where it gets cold, dress in layers and wear a coat and remember to bring gloves. Also, those hand warmer things that Target and places sell work wonders. As for the rain and/or sleet, I normally bring a poncho to wear over my coat in case it rains, so I stay fairly dry. For bathrooms breaks, either bring someone with you to keep your place when you need to run off to the bathroom or have someone come and relieve you every few hours. Normally either I go with DH and if one of us needs to go to the bathroom we just drive to the nearest convenience store or grocery store to use their bathroom while the other waits in line or I have a friend who is more than happy to come by and take my place in line for a few minutes while I hunt down a bathroom if she's not already waiting at another store.

I live in Arizona and I've been doing BF for years now; for 3 out of the last 5 years I was in the top 10 to the door for best buy's BF.

Things have changed DRAMATICALLY in the last 5 years. Year 1 I went to best buy at about 1 AM the morning OF black friday and ended up just rounding off the top 10 people in line. Year 2 I went to BF at 10:30 PM the day before and was about 3rd in line with my group. Year 3 I skipped (trips). Year 4 - I went at 4:30 PM the day before right after I finished eating and I barely made top 10 (within seconds of another group). Last year I made a choice to not go even earlier because I still wanted to eats dinner... so at about 4:00PM on Thanksgiving again last year I went to BB to see over 200 people in line.... I drove to the next closest BB to see at least 100+ still in line.... drove to the next and by that time all of the locations i went to had over 150+ in line. I finally found a circuit city at about 7:00 PM that had only 15ish in line so I jumped in.... counted up ahead of myself to find that only 3 ahead of me wanted their doorbuster computer... guess what (they only had three) I was really upset because BB typically has at least 10 items minimum for even the best doorbusters so I was very pissed after waiting all night.

Two morals to the story:

First off... NEVER do Circuit City black friday... I tried them once out of desperation last year and even in the top 15 I got royally screwed by their crappy doorbuster quantities.

Second, for some reason BF is turning into a competition amoung the populus.... everyone wants the best deals and is willing to forget about thanksgiving to have them. This year, if you aren't in line by about 10:00 to 11:00 AM on Thanksgiving there is no chance of getting in the top 10 for BB. I personally will only wait in line if I'm in the top 10 again because after getting screwed over, I will only wait for "sure things". Hand warmers are your friends if you are willing to wait through a full night by the way.

This year... I'll probably do a drive by after eating to make sure the lines are already long but if they are for BB I will be sitting out BF this year for the first time ever (aside from my trip) as it just is starting to become not worth the trouble =p.

Seriously... I think it depends what they have. If the store has something HUGE on sale... then, IDK, say... midnight? Some where around there. Like I said... it really all depends on what they have or what I'm going for. 14 Weeks til' Christmas!!! YAY!!! :smirk:

I live in Arizona and I've been doing BF for years now; for 3 out of the last 5 years I was in the top 10 to the door for best buy's BF.

Things have changed DRAMATICALLY in the last 5 years. Year 1 I went to best buy at about 1 AM the morning OF black friday and ended up just rounding off the top 10 people in line. Year 2 I went to BF at 10:30 PM the day before and was about 3rd in line with my group. Year 3 I skipped (trips). Year 4 - I went at 4:30 PM the day before right after I finished eating and I barely made top 10 (within seconds of another group). Last year I made a choice to not go even earlier because I still wanted to eats dinner... so at about 4:00PM on Thanksgiving again last year I went to BB to see over 200 people in line.... I drove to the next closest BB to see at least 100+ still in line.... drove to the next and by that time all of the locations i went to had over 150+ in line. I finally found a circuit city at about 7:00 PM that had only 15ish in line so I jumped in.... counted up ahead of myself to find that only 3 ahead of me wanted their doorbuster computer... guess what (they only had three) I was really upset because BB typically has at least 10 items minimum for even the best doorbusters so I was very pissed after waiting all night.

Two morals to the story:

First off... NEVER do Circuit City black friday... I tried them once out of desperation last year and even in the top 15 I got royally screwed by their crappy doorbuster quantities.

Second, for some reason BF is turning into a competition amoung the populus.... everyone wants the best deals and is willing to forget about thanksgiving to have them. This year, if you aren't in line by about 10:00 to 11:00 AM on Thanksgiving there is no chance of getting in the top 10 for BB. I personally will only wait in line if I'm in the top 10 again because after getting screwed over, I will only wait for "sure things". Hand warmers are your friends if you are willing to wait through a full night by the way.

This year... I'll probably do a drive by after eating to make sure the lines are already long but if they are for BB I will be sitting out BF this year for the first time ever (aside from my trip) as it just is starting to become not worth the trouble =p.

Agree with u and cities around Mexico´s frontier have a bigger problem. I´m from Mexico and i dont mind stay in line all night long but "black friday word" is reaching more and more people evey year and obviously, the pursuit of the doorbuster is harder that the previous year.

This year will be my 5 black friday and every year i have to consider get in line sooner that the previous year.

First year, i got in line about 6 pm a day before Friday (i was the second in the line). Next year, 10 in line at 4 pm.

Last year, 55 in line at 3 pm.....

This year? Who knows?

Will Probably hit the local Walmart about 11:00 - 11:30 p.m. Thanksgiving Night. If they lock the doors early and open at 5:00 a.m. some years they have closed and other years stayed open...go figure...will decide if I want to go to Walmart or Target and head there around 12:30 ish a.m. maybe earlier it will depend on the sales. :gdclock:

This year starts my third decade doing Black Friday sales....I began BF'ing in earnest in 1986.

I've noticed that the time to show up was fairly consistent until this decade when the 'net began spreading the word out so much.....now every year the time to show up in line gets earlier and earlier.

Two years ago, I tried midnight and ended up 35th at BB and 9th at CC (wife and I split stores when we have to.)

Last year we concentrated on BB.....I arrived at 11AM on Thursday.....couldn't stand it any longer and finally gave in and drove the 2 1/2 hours it takes to get to BB from our house out in the sticks. I was first by a long shot.......but living so far out it's either go or suffer.

This year....really depends upon what's on sale and where. Fry's, Microcenter both are over 3 hours away, and while both have good sales, their two stores they have in ATL are both in poor locations and I wouldn't trust either to have my wife sit outside any of their locations, which is why we usually bypass both stores.

BB, though, is in a much better location.....nice shopping area in Augusta, GA.....and is usually where we end up. This is especially compounded by the fact that Sears, CC, CompUSA are all within a mile or so of BB. So makes it very easy to hit CUSA at midnight and return to BB....and then hit Sears after BB opens. Add to this that BB has stopped the rebate idiocy on almost all their BF items, and BB becomes an easy choice every year for us.

But this year, looking at Wednesday evening for show-up time. Personally, I don't have a problem with being too early....it's too late that drives me insane. Was first in line at BB last year and intend to replicate that this year.

Wife thinks I'm crazy, but I think it's fun and I'm willing to put up with the lonely hours in front of the store. And being first does have its rewards......become the de facto line marshal during the wee hours of the night. And you have first crack at every single ticketed item that's a doorbuster.....and at least our BB we frequent has no policy on limits on doorbuster tickets other than one ticket per item per person....so you can have as many different ticketed items as you want, just one of each.

I just love BF!!! :)

We usually go to Meijer around 4:00am, but last year when we arrived people were already in there with their carts filled. Does anyone know when the best time to arrive at Meijer is? Thanks

Last year at our Meijer, there were some people who showed up at midnight to wait for the big tvs, I think they had 7 in stock. So, as usual, it just depends on what you're going for. I got there between 3 and 4 (I think) and had plenty of time to get one of the 19" flat panel tvs. I'm hoping their ad this year is as good as last year's. At least they let us wait inside the store :)

We got to BB about 6 ... I overslept last year! I almost cried when I woke up and figured out what I had done!

I had to work on Thanksgiving last year, because of that I also overslept! I woke up just before 5am, started yelling, called my mom, burshed my teeth/pulled my hair up and ran. We got to Wal Mart in town just as they were opening. I was soooooo disoriented!!

I was still able to get most of what I was after though!

Hey I am in Phoenix! I was at the Best Buy at I-17 & Thunderbird last year. I got into the line at about 4pm and was number 40-ish in line. Got every door buster I wanted though.

ME TOO! I was in line at about 3pm and first in line! Yeah! Me my mil, my sil, my sil partner, my husband, and my fil. We were quite a sight.

• 2 weeks later...
Just depends on the sales this year. Since Wal-Mart has done away with layaway I expect them to have a GREAT ad to make up for all the money they are missing out on by not offering layaway anymore. They may surprise me but I hope not. I am betting on Best Buy and Walmart and maybe Target offering the best deals. I am hoping that someone has a PSP bundle on sale for a great deal.......PLEASE:razz:

2 years ago we got to best buy at 11pm, were bout 30th in line, last year we went at 7pm to check things out, there were already 50 people there :eyepoppin so we stayed. Not sure what we will do this year. If we decide to do best buy again we might drive there at noon (store is 80 miles away) and see. It will depend on the weather too.

I paced and paced then pushed out the door at 6pm t-giving because I couldn't stand the thought I would miss out by just a few minutes. I was first in line at bb, my kids were first there at cc, but when line moved were 4th or 5th in line. A lot of people came up and asked us when we got there, so I will probly have to go earlier this year. :yup:

Well I dont even know if I will be going this year :( I am pregnant and due between Nov. 19. and Dec. 19. I have a 2 1/2 year old that goes with me, so even if I don't have the baby than I still can't go early. I normally go to Walmart and than travel to the mall and all the bigger stores about 1hr 45 min. ride. Guess I will see what happens.

we went around 11pm and we had a good time sitting out talking to people we went to walmart and i wanted to go to best buy but that line had 100 people in line at 11am thanksgiving day so we didnt go there first we were in and out of wlamart within 20 minutes with everything we wanted then we went to toysrus and i didnt want nothing there so my sisters were waiting in line while i went to best buy to check it out and when i got there at 730am i got what i wanted my 22inch monitor there was a clerk that told me he couldnt sells those till tomorrow and i told him that i wanted one and he went to talk to his manager and i got mine thats what i wanted and i got it