August 2007 Forum Update - Please Read :)

Brad

Hello GDers :)

I figured with it being August, it was a good time to make an official post about what's been going on here on the board and what will be going on in the not-too-distant future.

First, just a few days ago we passed 130,000 forum members, which is an amazing number. Even during this slow time of year, we are still getting 30-40 new members per day. You all have been very welcoming and helpful to the newbies, so thank you for that. And another thank you for continuing to report posts. We're seeing an increase in spammers as the site gets more popular, but thanks to the reports, we usually have them banned and their posts removed within minutes :D

The 3rd anniversary deal-posting contest has been a big success, with many great deals posted by our members. After the final entries are verified, the winners will be posted in a day or two, so be on the lookout for that. I've been posting many more deals myself lately (as well as a lot of new coupons in our recently expanded coupon section) but the contributions of our members are just as important if not even more. Don't let the end of the contest mean the end of you posting deals. You never know what posting your own deals might get you... ;)

In the next couple weeks, there will be a new GottaDeal-branded item joining the current collection of t-shirts, stickers and pens. When they are available, I'll post a new thread with complete information on ordering any of these items, including the remaining t-shirts as I still get inquiries about those every so often. The new item will be a surprise until then, but rest assured, they are ordered and are currently being printed, so look for that in mid-August :yup:

I want to once again publicly thank our invaluable team of moderators who have done an amazing job of keeping the forum under control and organized. They devote their personal time to the site and deserve all the recognition in the world. They make my job easier - you've probably noticed I've been around less on the forum lately - and allow me to devote more time to other aspects of the site. Marcster recently became a site-wide moderator, replacing USC Becca who has moved on to bigger and better things. I wish her the best in her future endeavors and thank her for her invaluable help with the site over the past couple years. She will be greatly missed and the door is always open for her to return.

Plans for the 2007 Black Friday site are well underway. The site will be opening sometime in the next 2 months - the exact day will be a surprise to keep our competitors on their toes. I have been hard at work coding this year's site and plans for all the servers we'll need to handle everyone will also be beginning shortly. Black Friday gets bigger every year and this year will be no different. And just like every year since 2004, we'll be the #1 Black Friday site online. And that's not bragging - it's the truth! :cool:

As we did last year, we'll be looking for a team of dedicated members to serve as temporary moderators for the Black Friday forums. Please don't PM me about this right now - I'll make a formal announcement in about a month or so. These BF mods are extremely important with all the traffic the site gets and allow me to work on acquiring, scanning, typing up and posting ads, as well as deal with the horde of media looking for interviews.

So that's about it. To summarize: forum keeps growing, keep posting deals, new GD item soon, mods doing great job and Black Friday site right around the corner. As always, if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, feel free to PM me anytime.

Brad

I'm excited too...

I wonder if that "invaluable team of moderators" gets a sneak peak at the new item...

;)

If we still had gottapoints we could make a game of it...I guess we still can.

I'm guessing it's a hoodie since people were going nuts wanting one last year. If I had my choice it would be some type of travel mug.

Oh, the anticipation!;)

I just got a shipping confirmation on the new item. They will be here on Wednesday :)

Unfortunately for you all, I'll be out of town next week, so you'll have to wait until the following week for me to start taking orders and shipping.

But I will announce what they are before then.

I just got a shipping confirmation on the new item. They will be here on Wednesday :)

Unfortunately for you all, I'll be out of town next week, so you'll have to wait until the following week for me to start taking orders and shipping.

But I will announce what they are before then.

That's very nice of you to only tease us a little bit LOL

Thanks Brad