10.1 Megapixel Digital Camera $239.99

jerseygurl

Does this sound like a good deal? I am looking for a good camera with a clear picture and have heard the higher the megapixels the better the picture.

Any advice??

Here is the info on this camera....

10.1 effective megapixels - 3648 x 2736 still resolution; 640x480 movie resolution

1/1.8-inch CCD

Zoom between 4.3x and 17.1x

2.8" wide-format LCD Monitor (brightness: 1200cd/m2)

33 "BEST SHOT" scene modes set the camera for easy to difficult situations

Attach up to 30-second Audio memos

Anti Shake DSP reduces blurring due to unsteady hands or moving subjects

Rapid Flash function enables up to 3 shots per second

Zoom Continuous Shutter mode

Auto Macro mode for switching between Autofocus and macro modes

9-Point Multi AF function

Multi-image function can display 12 images on a single screen

Movies can be taken in VGA size (640 x 480 pixels) at 25 frames per second (Motion JPEG)

Super Life Battery allows up to 360 shots to be taken, measured by CIPA standards

Monaural Microphone & speaker

USB 2.0 compatible

Unit Size - 3.62” (W) x 2.30” (H) x .88” (D) (excluding projections, .78” at thinnest part); Weight: Approximately 4.9 oz

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4103771&JRSource=chemail.weekendSale.050407

It seems to get reasonable reviews:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Z1K/Z1KA.HTM

It was easy to make friends with the Casio EX-Z1000. Auto mode with its 16:9 aspect ratio made composing shots fun. The quick startup and shutdown made it convenient to use, never worrying about missing a shot because it would take too long to turn on the camera. The Casio EX-Z1000's 3x zoom was a disappointment, if only because we've been playing with longer zooms lately. But the digital zoom does compensate for that, relying on the 10 megapixel sensor to deliver enough resolution without degrading image quality.

Even with the larger sensor real estate to populate with 10 megapixel of sensor sites, the Casio EX-Z1000 did capture noisy images. But the noise resembled film grain rather than the colorless confusion of some high ISO sensors. Turn off Anti Shake if it bothers you.

In all the categories that matter, the Casio EX-Z1000 scored well. And where it didn't score well, there are convenient workarounds. Those are the kind of tradeoffs we like to see in a digicam. This is a very well-designed, capable camera, certainly worthy of a Dave's Pick.

How come in the main description it says 3X optical zoom and 4x digital zoom (whatever the differance is??)

And in another it says Zoom between 4.3x and 17.1x

I have a 3X zoom and it isn't enough, and I wish I had gotten one with the anti shake. I can't zoom in and get a clear pic without setting the camrea on something. I can't hold it still enough

I am looking for a good camera with a clear picture and have heard the higher the megapixels the better the picture.

You heard wrong. The lens, the sensor, the shutter, the exposure meter, the flash, all contribute to the quality of the picture. In order to double the resolution of a picture (i.e. in order to print an 8x10 picture with the same quality as a 4x6 print) you need to multiply the number of pixels by FOUR.

How come in the main description it says 3X optical zoom and 4x digital zoom (whatever the differance is??)

I have a 3X zoom and it isn't enough, and I wish I had gotten one with the anti shake. I can't zoom in and get a clear pic without setting the camrea on something. I can't hold it still enough

I'm just speechless.

For anyone buying a camera... DIGITAL ZOOM EQUAL NO ZOOM. All a digital zoom does is take a smaller picture. When you load it on your computer it is of lower quality. ONLY GO BY OPTICAL ZOOM. 3x is a pretty standard number. You may want to go higher, i didnt.

The more megapixels the better yes, but I have a 2.1 and a 7 megapixel cameras. The 2.1 fills my computer screen in perfect quality. So unless you are going to be printing posters or watching slide shows on a 72" tv, a 4-5 megapixel is enough.

You always want to look at the optical zoom first. The optical zoom determines how close you can get to an object and it still is clear. With digital zoom, the camera is basically taking the largest optical zoom picture and stretching it. This makes the picture less clear and even sometimes distorted.

It is best to ALWAYS go by optical zoom. :)

I would take a look at the Fuji S700 that can be had for around $215 but only 7mp but why would you need more?

I have to agree with the Fuji S700 as it's a 10X OPTICAL zoom. I have the Fuji S5000 and it's been wonderful. VERY good quality pictures (and it's only 3.1) and I can print 8 x 10's with no problem.

Even with antishake, you'd still probably want to stabilize the camera on something when possible. The camera might not shake, but you (and the rest of us) inevitably will. Using a tripod or something stable to rest the camera on will certainly give you a sharper picture every time.

Like the other posters said, optical zoom is important. Digital zoom is worthless.

Does this sound like a good deal? I am looking for a good camera with a clear picture and have heard the higher the megapixels the better the picture.

Any advice??

Here is the info on this camera....

10.1 effective megapixels - 3648 x 2736 still resolution; 640x480 movie resolution

1/1.8-inch CCD

Zoom between 4.3x and 17.1x

2.8" wide-format LCD Monitor (brightness: 1200cd/m2)

33 "BEST SHOT" scene modes set the camera for easy to difficult situations

Attach up to 30-second Audio memos

Anti Shake DSP reduces blurring due to unsteady hands or moving subjects

Rapid Flash function enables up to 3 shots per second

Zoom Continuous Shutter mode

Auto Macro mode for switching between Autofocus and macro modes

9-Point Multi AF function

Multi-image function can display 12 images on a single screen

Movies can be taken in VGA size (640 x 480 pixels) at 25 frames per second (Motion JPEG)

Super Life Battery allows up to 360 shots to be taken, measured by CIPA standards

Monaural Microphone & speaker

USB 2.0 compatible

Unit Size - 3.62” (W) x 2.30” (H) x .88” (D) (excluding projections, .78” at thinnest part); Weight: Approximately 4.9 oz

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4103771&JRSource=chemail.weekendSale.050407

You might want to compare it to the one on WOOT! today. They have a 10mp for $149.99! It looks like a great deal, but I am just really looking at price. :D

http://www.woot.com/Default.aspx

Vivitar ViviCam X30 10.1MP Digital Camera

$149.99

+ $5 shipping

Features:

Model: ViviCam X30

Class: 10 Megapixel; 1/1.8 inch CCD

Aperture: F= 2.8 4.8

Focus range: Macro: 5cm, Normal: 0.5m

Focal Length: f=7.8mm 46.8mm(T) (37-222mm in 35mm)

Resolution: 3650 x 2736

Image format: JPEG

Video 640 x 480 pixels at 15/30 fps

Housing: metal

Lens: 3x optical, 8x digital

LCD display: 2.5 inch color LTPS, 201K pixels

External memory: Secure Digital to 1GB (not included)

Flash: Built-in 4 mode auto flash

Other: PictBridge, USB 1.1, A/V out (NTSC/PAL)

Power: Lithium rechargeable battery

Weight: 150 g

Dimensions: 91x57x27 mm (3.6 x 2.3 x 1.1in)

Includes:

Vivitar Vivicam X30 10MP Digital Camera

Lithium-ion rechargeable battery

Power adapter

Software CD