Direct Tv

I have been a DirecTV customer for 3 years now and have not had any problems. They always seem to have some type of upgrade promo going on. Cable is not an option where I live. However, I have fiends that basically have the same type service as I have and pay $20.00 more for cable a month. My experience has been a very pleasant experience.

We've had DirecTV for about 3 years now in our house with no problems. As with jukus, cable is not available in our area, but we are happy with our DirecTV service and especially with the DVR.

We have a telephone line going to our main DirecTV box which means that we can order pay-per-view, etc from that box. We have an additional box in DS's room, but I don't believe that one is or has ever been connected to a phone line. In any event, you would not need separate phone lines - just access to your main phone line for the boxes to be able to use periodically.

Some of the current offers include free HBO and Cinemax for 3 months. When we installed, ours included free receivers and a free DVR.

I'm going to make a shameless plug here - any DirecTV subscriber can get a credit for referring a new member, so if you decide you'd like to sign up, you might consider letting someone here refer you.

The telephone line is not required for it to work. Really serves 2 purposes, allows you to order payperview with your remote control and I believe all of the receivers now have caller id feature (if your phone line is plugged in a box pops up with caller id, it can be disabled if you do not want to use it).

I'd say that DirecTV is the way to go. I've had Dish Network, and while they have more HD channels in their lineup (if that floats your proverbial boat), but their service isn't quite as customer pleasing at DirecTV.

The phone lines. My installer made me plug them into the wall before he left, because then he could write down that they were all plugged in. 5 minutes after he left, all the phone cord was out and thrown in the closet.

I was told your main box has to be plugged into a phone line and it is usually the DVR if you have it. They said it was so Directv could do updates. I signed up and got a free portable DVD player. It is great. Also, if you have Verizon for your phone you can get a combined bill with your DirecTv and a discount for doing so, not sure how much though.

We have Directv and love it. We switched over from dish. Dish always went out on us, even when it sprinkled.. Our Directv has only flickered once and that was during a tropical storm.

We dont have any of our receivers hooked up to phone lines, but you do have to keep the one control box plugged in at all times. We just upgraded to HD, cuz we got a new DLP tv, and DH wanted to watch his NFL ticket in high def. I also like they're customer service alot more.. very friendly and helpful compared to Dish.

We bought an older house that had been remodeled about a year ago and switched to Direct TV when we moved. We love it! Had a great experience with their free installation. Home did previously have Direct but they installed all new phone lines to each TV and all new wiring for the receivers and did an excellent job. The installer we had was so helpful and was really concerned about how his work looked. In my area they really seem to be on top of things and we have had no problems at all. The installer that we had did tell us we had to leave the DVR attached to the phone line at all times but the other receivers did not have to be hooked up all the time if the line was needed for something else.

One more thing. If you have Bellsouth phone service & internet service you get a bundle discount. When I was checking around before I activated the service I found that the deals on line at the Direct website seems to be a little better. If you do have Bellsouth phone service watch in your monthly bill sometimes I get offers through them.

I love DirecTv. I had it at my last house. We are renting right now so cannot get it (owner won't allow the dish on their roof). Once our new house is ready we plan on getting it. OUt account has been on hold since we moved. Another good thing is I used to have east and west coast stations, so if I missed something between 8 - 11 pm I could always watch it on West Coast time. I also had HD and 3 DVRs. Oh I am so looking forward to May when we can get it again.

We've had Direct for at least 4 years now and have only once had to call someone out to fix something...lightning zapped out multiswitch box. But we pay for the protection plan and it didn't cost anything extra. We previously had Dish Network and it went out all the time, if the wind blew the wrong way, if it ranined at all...it was awful. We then switched back to cable for awhile...then the rates skyrocketed and I started looking at DTV. Definitely better customer service w/DTV and the rates are much better than our cable company. We have 2 DVRs (w/Tivo) and they need to be connected to the phone line to update the listings daily. None of our other receivers have ever been connected to the phone lines and they've always worked just fine.

I was told that you have to have your DVR plugged into a phone line. I have Directv & love it. Our other receivers are not connected to a phone line. Can anyone confirm if the DVR must have a phone line or not?

Kristy

I don't know if this has been answered or not but we have a DVR downstairs that has a phone line. We put one in my daughter's room and hers does not because she isn't allowed to order PPV

We've had just the opposite experience. We had Directv and had trouble with it going out--we went thru 3 recievers--switched to Dish Network and have had it for around 3years now with no problems and love it! Wouldn't be without a DVR. Whatever you choose, it's definitely better than cable.