Vacuum Cleaner - Inexpensive but effective?

Hello! Can anyone recommend a vacuum cleaner that is less than $100?

We have mostly pergo flooring, so it would just be for vacuuming area rugs and around the floor boards. A couple of attachments would be great, however it doesn't need to be anything fancy. It just needs to work well and be inexpensive.

Thank you!

I'm sending this link to my sister. She goes through entire vaccums like normal people go through vaccum bags, lol. She currently borrows mine when she needs to vaccum. :rolleyes:

I went through a few vacuum cleaners. I would have one for a couple of months and it would die. We were looking into getting a Dyson when we came across the Eureka Boss with Hepa filter. It is a Consumer Digest Best Buy and also claims to out-clean Dyson by 60%. We paid a little over $100 for it. However, the price that was available online at Walmart was about $30 more than what we paid. I believe when we got ours it was $119. Anyhow, we have had it for going on 2 years now and it has just as much suction as it did the day we got it and it has been through some wear and tear. For me it was well worth it to have a vacuum that is not disposable. Here is one of the ones that Walmart offers, but check the store, they often have different colors for much cheaper.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2656405

I went through a few vacuum cleaners. I would have one for a couple of months and it would die. We were looking into getting a Dyson when we came across the Eureka Boss with Hepa filter. It is a Consumer Digest Best Buy and also claims to out-clean Dyson by 60%. We paid a little over $100 for it. However, the price that was available online at Walmart was about $30 more than what we paid. I believe when we got ours it was $119. Anyhow, we have had it for going on 2 years now and it has just as much suction as it did the day we got it and it has been through some wear and tear. For me it was well worth it to have a vacuum that is not disposable. Here is one of the ones that Walmart offers, but check the store, they often have different colors for much cheaper.

That vaccum ROCKS! i love mine and it's even got the "self cleaning" duster. I saw them at Wal-Mart a few days ago for $78 and some change. It's definately worth the money.

We always seem to be buying a new vacuum, but in November 2005, we got the Dirt Devil Swift ($25 or maybe $35 BF 2005) and it is nice. We have a large persian rug from Kuwait and vacuums have a hard time getting all of the dog hair off, but this vacuum works just fine.

Thanks for the help so far... I forgot to mention that I was looking for a "bag" type of vacuum, not a bagless (just personal preference).

The one I mentioned above (Eureka Boss with Hepa filter) is NOT Bagless. It uses bags. I hate the bagless kinds -- too much dust and bother with them plus the suction never seems very good.

Check Walmart for the Eureka Boss you will be glad you did!

Yeah, I have this one too and it does a very good job for the price. Got mine on Amazon for about $120. It sucks so hard that it lifts up my berber carpet after going over it. My main concern for you is wanting a vacuum for area rugs. I don't know what kind of rugs you have (mine aren't the heavy, huge room size) but I cannot use this vacuum on any of my rugs, even on the highest setting. It just sucks too hard and the rugs always ended up getting caught in it, so I quit trying for fear of tearing up the vacuum. Hope this helps!:yup:

The one I mentioned above (Eureka Boss with Hepa filter) is NOT Bagless. It uses bags. I hate the bagless kinds -- too much dust and bother with them plus the suction never seems very good.

Check Walmart for the Eureka Boss you will be glad you did!

that's good, because the bagless ones are BAD for allergy sufferers:yup:

We have large area rugs, but also several small ones that will get "picked up" by the vacuum. I actually did buy the Eureka Boss last year from Costco, but returned it right away, because it was just too much vacuum for our house. For just having area rugs and a few smaller rugs, it was too heavy and bulky.

I'm interested in the Hoover Tempo, but am now looking for the regular one with the 13" width instead of the wide-path with the 15" width. For our house, the narrower vacuum would be more useful.