Anyone get the 42" Sylvania Plasma TV for $799 at Big Lots?

rdtsmith

Is this a good deal?

Sylvania 42" Enhanced Definition Plasma Monitor

*just over 4" deep with a realistic picture, wide viewing angle & 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio *component, composite & s-video inputs make it simple to connect your entire home theater system *wall mountable, includes stand and speakers *requires cable box, satellite or tv tuner

SAVE $400! compare to $1199.99 Only 4000 Available Chainwide! Minimum 3 per store. Limit 1 per family.

Did anyone manage to get one?

I see I posted this in the wrong forum...could someone move this to the "brick and mortar" offline forum for me? So sorry....

Seems like a decent deal. I would suggest actually going to the store to look at them in person. I've gotten some really good deals at Big Lots on lots of different stuff. I've bought lots of furniture there that has lasted quite a long time and some small electronics. Can't afford a big ticket item that the one in question but there's no substitute for going and checking it out in person.

The thing to note is that it's an EDTV (Enhanced Definition). It would have a slightly better picture than standard TV, but is NOT a true High Definition. Personally, I wouldn't consider it for that reason alone.

Actually I'd focus more on overall picture quality than stressing about EDTV. My 29" Sony tube will do a 480p that will put most fixed pixel panels to shame (including the new 1080p LCD panels), the clarity is stunning (but that's a tube for ya). Watching 1080i HD sources scaled down to 480p is excellent, the picture clarity far outweighs any "lost" information IMHO. Then again, I kinda agree that given that it's an EDTV, that you should be sure that it is priced accordingly compared to its HD bretheren (again, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss it out of hand JUST because it's ED).

I have this TV but bought it from Meijer on Black Friday. Got a better deal than that but $700 still is not too bad. The picture is actually very good - of course we are just using it for regular TV hooked up to a satellite and not for gaming. No it is not a name brand but we bought the extended warranty for an additional $50 just in case.

I'd wait for a better deal. I got a Vizio (which is highly rated -- and I must tell you the picture is outstanding) 50" plasma from Circuit City during a Thanksgiving sale for $1700. They also had a $200 rebate and I get a 10% of the total value gift card making my total cost $1330 plus tax. An incredible deal for a highly reviewed TV.

I have a feeling the plasmas will be even more affordable at the beginning of next year. Just a hunch.

M