CRAFTS - Post your ideas for homemade holiday gifts

noehlp

Jodi those candle holers are really pretty! Love good cheap ideas that turn out looking nice! I clicked on the pic loved the cats butt in the picture looks like my house lol.

LOL- there's always a cats butt somewhere in my house.

I wanted to mention I have a few ornaments like your blue and white. I do the same with the paint and glass ball, but I use a straw and blow it all around and you can get some awesome designs that way. I also have an angel ornament I make with a feather in it with a beautiful poem you attach with ribbon to the hanger. I can't find a pic though :( I make those for people that need an angel in their life :gdflower5: You use the clear glass balls again and put a feather in it, then dress it up around hanger with pretty ribbon and that poem.

Here's the poem

I am an angel feather,

sent from God above

To serve as a reminder to you,

of his precious love

I'm from your guardian angel

that God assigned to you

And fell out in her struggles

as she protected you.

Each time you almost stumble

each time you nearly fall

Thank God and all his angels

for answering your call.

Every person I have ever given this ornament to has cried. And I didn't mean to make them cry either.:cry2:

Every person I have ever given this ornament to has cried. And I didn't mean to make them cry either.:cry2:

You do relize I am cussing you now cause you have compelled me to go buy more. :sidesplit Very good teachers gifts since I was debating adding ornaments anyway. Anyone know who has clear balls on sale? I love that jodi it is beautiful! BTW where did you get the feathers? Trying to think of what I can pull apart to get them lol.

I get my clear ornies from Michaels and the same with the feathers. I had a hard time finding plain white feathers, but I did. Another idea for feathers is go to the Dollar store and get a childs feather boa and yank a good sized one out of there- after you buy it of course ;)

I print out the poem on parchment paper, cut with a scalloped sissors, use a hole punch and string a pretty ribbon through it and attach to the ornie.

Wait til I show you my glass blocks :rotflol: I just have to find the pics.

Oh Paula I think you can do it I bet they turn out great! :)

I think I have decided to hold off and wait for next year to do those My overwhelming cheapness hit me today at the store that and the huge line around the ornaments :eyepoppin ! Plus that way I can buy them on clearance :sidesplit and get some chinese food type boxes to put them in.

So what are the glass blocks? I am at the moment for next year making the tie blankets and the ornaments you just stated but I might make the glass blocks if I like them better :D

If yall look closely at the pic of my tree you will see a snowman that I made out of a real starfish. There is also a Santa and an Uncle sam but I don't think they showed up in the pic. I made them a few years ago with real starfish, acrylic paint, ribbon and hot glue.

I painted them up then sealed them and folded a ribbon in half and hot glued to the back as a hanger. They are really cute. I entered my snowman in the TVA&I fair and won first place. I got a blue ribbon and a check for $4.00, not a huge sum but it was a big deal to me seeing the other ornaments that were entered and knowing that I beat them all including my mil at the time.(mind you she wins at least one ribbon in every category she enters.. ALWAYS)

Yall do know that if you want clear ornaments you can make them from any old colored glass ball ornament. Just fill a tub with bleach, completely submerge your ornaments (tops removed beforehand) let sit for 5 min or so then hold your finger over the hole and shake to get the remaining silver from the inside, Then pour the bleach back in the bowl and rinse your ornaments with warm water and let dry before replacing the tops.

You might have to use a Q-tip to wipe a little excess silver from the inside of the ball.

Speaking of clear ornaments.. A couple years ago I made a bunch of ornaments with pictures in them. I used old colored balls and did the bleach trick from above. I used a pencil and traced around the edge of the ornament and cut a piece of paper in the circle shape but a tiny bit smaller. Then rolled it up around a pencil and put it inside the ornament and straightened it out with 2 q-tips. if the paper circle fit I would fish it out and use it as a template for cutting the pictures and would repeat as above. Then I would fill the area behind the picture with an inch or so of tinsil garland. Replace the topper and hang. :)

If I had mil's camera I would show yall a pic. :P

See I am not too happy with these, But then again I have no talent, and please don't tell me other wise

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/Illinoismom/100_9187_edited.jpg

Why arent you happy with these? They are beautiful. The only thing I did different was I wrapped some ribbon around the top of the ornament -over the gold hanger hoopy thingy. I like that irredecent (sp?) on the one.

Ya done good.

I can't find any Holiday glass block pics, but here is a St. Louis Cardinal one I made for my boss a long long time ago.

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/38/39/7/42/71/2217742710043930768uluuxP_th.jpg

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/10/11/5/70/93/2214570930043930768BhUREY_th.jpg

They are made by buying those glass blocks from Lowes or Home Depot. You use a diamond drill bit to drill glass. My hubby does this as I continually squirt water on the spot where he is drilling because it gets super hot and will smoke. When it finally breaks through, it will pop leaving all the air out of the block and scares the crap out of me. The glass shards will end up inside block. I just rinse it out and let the water drain out completely. Then you find a pic you like, edit it to fit block and print out. I use modge podge to glue it to the glass block. Then you take a strand of 20 clear lights and shove them in the hole. Now the decorating starts. I always trim out pics with ribbon, add something on top like a huge bow or christmas pick-in this case, I found a bat and ball and E6000 them to the block. I don't think I did for this one, but I buy those little clear half marble thingys ($ store for a huge bag) and I E6000 to bottom of block for feet.

These are time consuming, but they are cheap to make and they sell for big bucks at craft shows. I have never sold any, just make them for gifts.

I can't find any Holiday glass block pics, but here is a St. Louis Cardinal one I made for my boss a long long time ago.

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/38/39/7/42/71/2217742710043930768uluuxP_th.jpg

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/10/11/5/70/93/2214570930043930768BhUREY_th.jpg

They are made by buying those glass blocks from Lowes or Home Depot. You use a diamond drill bit to drill glass. My hubby does this as I continually squirt water on the spot where he is drilling because it gets super hot and will smoke. When it finally breaks through, it will pop leaving all the air out of the block and scares the crap out of me. The glass shards will end up inside block. I just rinse it out and let the water drain out completely. Then you find a pic you like, edit it to fit block and print out. I use modge podge to glue it to the glass block. Then you take a strand of 20 clear lights and shove them in the hole. Now the decorating starts. I always trim out pics with ribbon, add something on top like a huge bow or christmas pick-in this case, I found a bat and ball and E6000 them to the block. I don't think I did for this one, but I buy those little clear half marble thingys ($ store for a huge bag) and I E6000 to bottom of block for feet.

These are time consuming, but they are cheap to make and they sell for big bucks at craft shows. I have never sold any, just make them for gifts.

My neighbor made these a few yrs back-she just put colored lights in hers then used big ribbon and tied it up around the block to look like a present....rabx5 yours are very unique I like them a lot. :hert:

The angel feather ornaments are beautiful!

Paula I think they look great. I like the iradescent as well. :) I really like them once they are made too. I am sure the people that are going to get them will love them :D.

Jodi ~ I have never seen these glass blocks? Is it two put together or just one? Are they hollow inside? Wondering where the lights go lol. I do really like those as well. I bet it would look really good with the picture of Alex and John Cena on it. :) To do for his room. He has been griping at me to get him a frame lol.

This year me and my sister are making snoman soup for a few friends.

Snowman soup

I am going to do this one. Thanks. I am making gift baskets with cookies and small cakes for a few people and will add this to the mix. Thanks again.

Here is something I did last year - Bath bombs

Bath Bombs

INCI Ingredients: 1 Cup Baking Soda

1/2 Cup Corn Starch

1/2 Cup Fine Salt

1/2 Cup Citric Acid

2 Tablespoons Sweet Almond Oil

Witch Hazel

Crafter's Choice Liquid Dye (amount desired)

Essential Oil

Directions: Mix the baking soda, corn starch and salt together. Then add your Almond Oil, dye and Essential Oil. Then slowly add your citric acid, stirring real well while adding. If your mixture isn't wet enough (meaning it won't stick together when packed into molds) spritz with a little witch hazel until the mixture sticks together. Pack into molds and let sit overnight.

USE ICE CREAM SCOOP TO FORM BALLS

Here's my Mickey wreath. It's lacking though. I think it needs a bow. I wanted one and was not paying $50 for one. This one cost me less than $6 to make. A wreath from Michaels, garland and I made the ornaments with big one and 2 lil ones glued (lopsided). I just wired it all together :D Click on the picture and it should show bigger. ;)

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/59/459/8/0/2/2213800020043930768dPrFnQ_th.jpg

I LOVE that! I was going to make one too as I didn't want to fork over my youngest child to pay for one. I thought about just using a large and two smaller wreaths though. I really like the way you have the ornaments on it.

You know, if you make another wreath and attach a big red bow you can hang it over one ear and make it Minnie.

I LOVE that! I was going to make one too as I didn't want to fork over my youngest child to pay for one. I thought about just using a large and two smaller wreaths though. I really like the way you have the ornaments on it.

You know, if you make another wreath and attach a big red bow you can hang it over one ear and make it Minnie.

I would have had to made a HUGE wreath if I used 2 small wreaths for the ears. I just couldn't find any, so I comprimised. Maybe a Minnie for next year ;)

Here's my Mickey wreath. It's lacking though. I think it needs a bow. I wanted one and was not paying $50 for one. This one cost me less than $6 to make. A wreath from Michaels, garland and I made the ornaments with big one and 2 lil ones glued (lopsided). I just wired it all together :D Click on the picture and it should show bigger. ;)

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/59/459/8/0/2/2213800020043930768dPrFnQ_th.jpg

I so Love the wreath too! I posted about it in another thread before I saw this one... awesome

Here's the starfish and picture ornaments that I posted instructions to above.

firemansgal, I Love snowmen and that lil star fish is so original! So cute Now I am wishing when we were at the beach this past summer I would have stocked up on starfish and made lil ornaments like this for family and friends to cute!

Oh Paula they looked great I am sure everyone adored them. DD told me yesterday when I told my plans of giving those next year ... mom do you have too? Couldn't you just buy something from the store like everyone else?:eyepoppin She said she gets sick of hearing awww those are so pretty or cute. Tell your mom thank you so much that was so sweet of her. :sidesplit