CRAFTS - Post your ideas for homemade holiday gifts

noehlp

My kids and I almost always make crafts for gifts to give to the Grandparents and the such for Christmas. I am sure ALOT of other members do too. (Yep, I like to pinch my :gd_twocen )

So, let this be the main thread for craft gift ideas. Post as many as you know. If you have done the craft and can take a picture of it and post it here, it will help others tremendously!!! Don't forget the directions and maybe like a product needed list or something.

I will probably post some tomorrow that we have done in the past. I want to do something different this year, but I have no idea on what to make. Plus for us, it has to be made with craft supplies we already have. (But not to worry, I have a LARGE Rubbermaid container full of supplies and then some. :) )

Ok, have it crafters!!!

Ok every year we do 2 things chex mix which DH makes and choc covered pretzles that I make. When I remember I buy canasters the day after Christmas or after they go on clearance at 75% off depending how frugal of a mood I am in and save them for the next year. I have forgotten a few years so here is what we did.

This year we are doing the simba plates. I will use these for the base of the presents. Going to put the chex mix and the pretzles in seperate zip lock bags. Then on the plate and wrap in gold or black tulle (our school colors) and add curly ribbon to tie the tulle shut.

Last year we put Chex mix in large mason jars. I cut circles out of Christmas fabric with decorative sissors and put the circles under the cap and tied bows around the mouth of the jars. For cards we made reindeer. Hand prints traced on thick brown scrapbook paper almost like card stock. Cut them out the thumb becomes the reindeers head dot on the end to make the nose we use slick paint but you can use a sequin or a puff ball, googely eye. The other four fingers become legs black paint on the ends for hooves. Pipe cleaner cut in half and twisted make the antlers you put them on with glue. Can also add other embellishments like a collar with sequins. http://familyfun.go.com/Resources/craftimages/1104_reindeerhand_img.jpg Not mine but same thing basically but I didn't do the tails.

I know I have done others I just will have to think about it, and remember. :)

we have done something similar to ms mckenna with working with our childrens hands but useing paints and those either rectangle or big oval lace paper place mats then decorating them, last yr we made santas face out of their hand-the fingers were his beard-we have done them with scrapbooking stickers and markers to decorate or write sayings an such once everything is dried and set we have them laminated and the grandparents use them as placemats each Christmas....I am not very crafty, so I cant wait to read and get ideas from this post.

OK, here is the recipe I used. You can put it in little satchets, or larger containers..

1 cup corn starch

2 cups milk powder

1/2 cup baking soda (increase if your water is hard)

1/2 cup finely ground oatmeal

Optional

1/2 cup dried rose petals, lavender or rosemary, and/or a few drops of matching essential oils

Process oatmeal in the blender until finely ground. Add milk powder and process until well mixed.

Pour into a bowl, add corn starch and baking soda, mixing all ingredients very well.

Grind herbs finely with a mortar and pestle, or in the blender, and stir into the powdered mixture. If desired, add a few drops of essential oil and mix well.

Add three tablespoons (or more, if you like) to your next bath to soothe your soul and soften your skin.

I love the idea of the milk bath! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Another post reminded me about aprons. We have in the past bought those plain aprons at WM and done the kids hand prints on them. Then when they were dry wrote thier name and age and worlds best "whatever they may be". Another things I did year before last for my brother in law that was moving out of town after Christmas. I took pictures of all the neices and nephews and printed them on iron on paper. Then put them randomly all over his apron.

not alot of craft items needed for this but it's a good g'parents gift... A Memory Jar.

All you would need to do is...

You and the children think and then write down any memory of the grandparents, old or new. It could be going on a vacation with them, a special dinner, making cookies, a saying they might say to you etc...anything that they were involved in somehow.

After making a list type them up on the computer,spacing them out nicely, and then use different colored paper to print them out on. Once printed out then cut them into strips. You can decorate the strips with little cut outs, or pictures, stickers, etc.

Find a nice jar, I suggest a clear one with a lid, and then place the stripes in the jar. You can decorate the jar as well with ribbon or stickers or pictures.

You now have your memory jar for the g'parents. Every day they pull a new strip out and they will have good time remember that special memory and a smile that will last all day.

Lighted Potpourri Jar

1 Empty Quart Jar

Potpourri

1 Strand of 35 Christmas Lights

(Not Extra Bright)

Lace Doily

Rubber Band

Ribbon

Layer potpourri and lights inside clean glass jar. Leave plug end of cord outside the back of the jar. Place doily over the mouth of the jar. Use rubber band to secure doily in place. Cover rubber band with ribbon tied in a bow.

Cookies in a Jar

Jar Ingredients:

2 cups flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

3/4 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

* chocolate chips , and nuts

Filling the Jar:

Layer the ingredients in a quart size canning jar in the order listed. Use enough chocolate chips so the jar is full to the top. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. Pack down all indredients, especially the brown sugar!

This is what we did last year, and it was SOOO awesome.

My son made them for teachers and administrators, and all relatives.

We bought the wooden shapes at Michaels or Hobby Lobby and drilled holes in the top. You smear them with peanut butter, and roll them in birdseed. Then run a wire through the hole.

We wrapped them up in cellophane snack bags, and tied them with pretty curling ribbons.

TADAA!!!! Instand bird feeders, and they make cute decorations when picked clean. You can buy these in star, reindeer, trees, santa, etc. I recommend sticking with common shapes, because some get hard to recognize.

One year we made all of our wrapping paper. We used the rolls of brown paper for mailing packages. The kids painted ornaments, trees, angels, ho ho and we made reindeer with thier feet and hands. I poured brown paint on a paper plate and had them hold my shoulder and dipped thier foot in the paint and then pressed on the paper(making the head). Then after getting thier feet cleaned we poured different colors of paint on plates they dipped thier hands in and pressed for antlers then they painted faces with a brush. :)

This isn't just a reindeer as you can plainly see.

I made it with my hands which are a part of me.

It comes with lots of love especially to say,

I hope you have a very, Merry Christmas Day!

http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/cegif/handdeer.gif

like this but we put the heel down instead of up.

Lighted Potpourri Jar

1 Empty Quart Jar

Potpourri

1 Strand of 35 Christmas Lights

(Not Extra Bright)

Lace Doily

Rubber Band

Ribbon

Layer potpourri and lights inside clean glass jar. Leave plug end of cord outside the back of the jar. Place doily over the mouth of the jar. Use rubber band to secure doily in place. Cover rubber band with ribbon tied in a bow.

I've made these before too. :)

We have done the potpourri jars before too and loved them. :)

Glitter domes

One jar with tight lid (any size, but smaller looks better). baby food jar would work really well

One plastic figure (your choice) and any other plastic decorations to make a scene.

Glitter

Superglue

Ribbon and lace

Superglue the figure and decorations to the inside of lid. Make sure you leave enough space around the edge for the jar to screw down in.

Fill your jar with water, but not all the way to the top. Leave enough room for the decorations and glitter.

Put the glitter in the jar. For every inch of water you need 1 teaspoon of glitter.

Screw on the lid. For extra security you can glue the lid on.

Glue lace around the bottom edge of the lid to hide it. Put the

ribbon over the glued lace.

later have learned two things

1 you can used shaped type foil confetti

2 glycerin makes it "snow" glitter or mineral oil. Something that will weight it down a bit anyway. It is touch and go just use a few drops and then add as much as you need to get the effect you want.

Another baby food jar one

Melted snow men

2 black beads or buttons for eyes

5 black beads or buttons for buttons lol

small piece of carrot for the nose or you can use something els if you could find a mini carrot maybe?

2 sticks for arms

tiny top hat if you can find it

some glitter and glyciren mixture like used above

fill jar with water

add tag says melted snowman

Magic Reindeer food

In a small ziploc bag or baby food container if you do it in a baby food container you can put it in layers like sand art, mix:

1/4 cup oatmeal

1/4 cup sugar

sprinkle of red or green sugar crystals (for cake decorating)

You can cut a circle of cloth or felt a bit larger than the lid. Place over the lid and tie a ribbon around it to decorate.

Reindeer Poem to go with:

Sprinkle on the lawn at night

The moon will make it sparkle bright

As Santa's reindeer fly and roam

This will guide them to your home.

if you dont celebrate Christmas :

Winter Rabbit Poem to go with:

Winter Rabbits hop and roam,

Magic Reindeer food

In a small ziploc bag or baby food container if you do it in a baby food container you can put it in layers like sand art, mix:

1/4 cup oatmeal

1/4 cup sugar

sprinkle of red or green sugar crystals (for cake decorating)

You can cut a circle of cloth or felt a bit larger than the lid. Place over the lid and tie a ribbon around it to decorate.

Reindeer Poem to go with:

As Santa's reindeer fly and roam

if you dont celebrate Christmas :

Winter Rabbit Poem to go with:

Winter Rabbits hop and roam,

We have done this in the past too.

We have done this in the past too.

us too, well something similar

-we made oraments out of them

you get clear glass ornaments-remove the topper,spray paint or use brown craft paint(anything will do as long as its brown) the brown doesnt have to perfect then take white craft paint and a paint brush and literally shake the brush around the dried brown paint to make it look like snow speckles once that has dried glue on some googly eyes and paint some pink for cheeks and brown pipe cleaners attach to the topper for antlers and attach a red fuzzy nose, add some oatmeal(inside the ornament) and attach the same lil saying above and you have a cute lil gift, that everyone will enjoy for yrs to come...

:holiday04

I will take a pic of it and post it just give me a sec...its really cute

Those are so cute! I will have to try those in the future. You made me think of ornaments though not sure why I had not thought of them before.

We have done salt dough ornaments several times and the kids really enjoyed them.

One year I made a trace of thier hands and cut them with a knife out of salt dough. Remember to use a straw and put a hole in the top before you cook them ;).

Salt Dough

1 cup flour

1/2 cup salt

1/2 cup water

1 tablespoon cooking oil (optional)

This is the most basic and time tested dough mixture. First mix all the ingredients together. Next knead the dough for at least 10 minutes. The kneading will make the dough smooth and shinny. Floor your hand to prevent the dough from sticking. This dough can be baked in a low (250 degree) oven and then painted. Spray with a varnish for added shine.

Industrial Salt Dough

1 cup flour

1/4 cup salt

2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 cup warm water

1 teaspoon oil

Food coloring

This is a long lasting dough that requires cooking. Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat until smooth. Let the mixture cool slightly and knead. The dough will be very pliable and easy to sculpt. Place in plastic bag or airtight container to store. Bake in a low oven and paint.

I have not used the second recipe but it does say longer lasting which really is an issue.

We have painted both with spray paint and regular craft paint both turned out well. After letting dry I usually wait 24 hrs spray with sealer to make them last longer. You can embellish your ornaments with little beads, glitter, googely eyes felt etc. I used hot glue but you could use craft glue as well it will just take longer to dry. Just use your imagination. Idea we used orange slick paint to make the snowmens noses if you pull out slowly it gives hieght and you get the carrot effect ;) We used the cheap .88 ribbon from walmart to make hangers.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/ms_mckenna/christmastree080.jpg a snowman my daughter made this is what I mean by you might want to try the second one. This is one of the few left that we made I think 6 years ago. The sides have no paint from wear and cracking. :(

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/ms_mckenna/christmastree081.jpg a Christmas tree

Another one is with clear glass ornaments (I got a ton a garage sale for next to nothing and experimented with them lol)

A few drops of craft paint different colors inside the ornament. Swirl and shake and it gives it a marble effect they are very pretty.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/ms_mckenna/christmastree085.jpg

Those are so cute! I will have to try those in the future. You made me think of ornaments though not sure why I had not thought of them before.

We have done salt dough ornaments several times and the kids really enjoyed them.

One year I made a trace of thier hands and cut them with a knife out of salt dough. Remember to use a straw and put a hole in the top before you cook them ;).

Ms McKenna you are SOOO Creative, while i didnt post in your holiday plate thread those were so pretty! One day.......

My 10 year old has been making crafts for grandparents and godparents since he was about 5. Last year he made a birdfeeder (with the help of his Dad)/

This year, he is making beaded book thongs. Very easy to do - 15 inches of tiger tail wire with various beads and a charm at one end.

My turn!

Last year we made two different homemade ornaments. My son has lost every single friggin battery in the house and my camera batteries are dead, so I can't take a picture, but will when I get some batteries. So internet pics will have to do, sorry.

CLOTHES PIN REINDEER

Ours is similar to this one, but we have the eyes & nose up higher so we could draw a mouth under the nose, and ours are painted brown, and have the ribbon under the head.

http://www.theparentinginstitute.org/Family%20Activities/December%2005%20activities/Reindeer.jpg

What you need

• Clothespins - 2 per reindeer, either the one's w/the metal clasp or the plain ones (we used the plain ones)
  • Brown Paint - OPTIONAL, but highly suggested, any paint will do - to paint the clothespins
  • Paint Brushes - If you decide to paint them
  • Small Googley Eyes - 2 per reindeer
  • String/Thread - Used so the reindeer can hang from the tree, we used good old red $0.99 thread
  • Small Red Pom Poms - 1 per reindeer for their nose
  • Ribbon - OPTIONAL - we bought a roll of $1 ribbon that was maybe 1/4 inch wide and was red w/gold trim
  • Black Permanent Marker - Used to put a smile on their face
  • Scissors - to cut ribbon & sting
  • Glue - Either Elmers or use a hot glue gun or a combo of the two (we did a combo)

Lay newspaper down on table. Give each kid a paintbrush and a little brown paint in a dish/something. Give the kids some clothespins and have them paint them on all sides but one (you need a dry side to lay it down so it can dry). Let the clothespins dry. Then have them paint the remaining side, depending on how many kids you have and how many deer you make, by the time they finish the first set of painting they might be able to finish the other sides.

Lay 1 clothespin down like normal, put a bit of glue on it, then place your string edges on the glue and then place another clothespin on top of it all but the opposite direction. (see pic) You may have to hold it for a few minutes.

Glue on the eyes & nose. Draw your mouths.

Wrap ribbon around the bottom pin right under the mouth of the reindeer. Sorry, can't explain that better, will have to wait for pics.

FELT SNOWMAN (I just scanned this picture)

http://www.geocities.com/noehlp/Snowman.JPG

What you need:

• White felt - I think I bought 5 or 6 of them, and they were about the size of a piece of paper
  • Orange felt - 1 sheet should be plenty - for the 'carrot' nose
  • Googley Eyes - Small ones, 2 per snowman
  • Black Pom Poms, small - you'll want 2 or 3 per snowman
  • Ribbon - you pick it, we used about 1/3 inch wide I think - this is for the snowman's scarf
  • Black Permanent Marker - to draw smiley face
  • String or thread - used to hang the snowman
  • Scissors - used to cut everything
  • White poster board - Used as a 'backing' to keep snowman straight through the years
  • Paper hole punch - To make a hole in the poster board to tie string through
  • 3 circular objects - Each a different size, but not much bigger than each other

This year me and my sister are making snoman soup for a few friends.

Snowman soup

The Soup:

1 package hot chocolate mix

3 Hershey Kisses

15 (or so) marshmallows

1 candy cane

Put the above items in colored plastic wrap

The Poem:

Put on paper

(click here to see label with printable poem tag)

and give with items in a mug

Was told you've been real good this year

Always glad to hear it

With freezing weather drawing near

You'll need to warm the spirit

So here's a little Snowman Soup

Complete with stirring stick

Add hot water, sip it slow

It's sure to do the trick!

Another Idea that we did with the clear ornaments was curl ribbon what ever colors you want but we did red, white, and blue for the troops and for my grandparents 50th wedding ann. we did gold ribbon they turned out really cute I would scan a pic but I can't get my scanner to work.

My turn!

Last year we made two different homemade ornaments. My son has lost every single friggin battery in the house and my camera batteries are dead, so I can't take a picture, but will when I get some batteries. So internet pics will have to do, sorry.

CLOTHES PIN REINDEER

Ours is similar to this one, but we have the eyes & nose up higher so we could draw a mouth under the nose, and ours are painted brown, and have the ribbon under the head.

http://www.theparentinginstitute.org/Family%20Activities/December%2005%20activities/Reindeer.jpg

What you need

• Clothespins - 2 per reindeer, either the one's w/the metal clasp or the plain ones (we used the plain ones)
  • Brown Paint - OPTIONAL, but highly suggested, any paint will do - to paint the clothespins
  • Paint Brushes - If you decide to paint them
  • Small Googley Eyes - 2 per reindeer
  • String/Thread - Used so the reindeer can hang from the tree, we used good old red $0.99 thread
  • Small Red Pom Poms - 1 per reindeer for their nose
  • Ribbon - OPTIONAL - we bought a roll of $1 ribbon that was maybe 1/4 inch wide and was red w/gold trim
  • Black Permanent Marker - Used to put a smile on their face
  • Scissors - to cut ribbon & sting
  • Glue - Either Elmers or use a hot glue gun or a combo of the two (we did a combo)

Lay newspaper down on table. Give each kid a paintbrush and a little brown paint in a dish/something. Give the kids some clothespins and have them paint them on all sides but one (you need a dry side to lay it down so it can dry). Let the clothespins dry. Then have them paint the remaining side, depending on how many kids you have and how many deer you make, by the time they finish the first set of painting they might be able to finish the other sides.

Lay 1 clothespin down like normal, put a bit of glue on it, then place your string edges on the glue and then place another clothespin on top of it all but the opposite direction. (see pic) You may have to hold it for a few minutes.

Glue on the eyes & nose. Draw your mouths.

Wrap ribbon around the bottom pin right under the mouth of the reindeer. Sorry, can't explain that better, will have to wait for pics.

We've done this as well with the old fashion clothes pins and then used stain to make t hem brown.

In addition we do Candy Cane Reindeer (makes great party favors)

They look like this:

http://dallas.easterseals.com/images/content/pagebuilder/594495.jpg

However, I use the White Candy Canes when I can find them

The small wiggly eyes

Glue

brown pipecleaners

mini red or brown pom poms for the nose

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/28/29/2/74/69/279227469qDbjUd_th.jpg

It's an awfully small pic-sorry.

These are 2 glass candlesticks ($1 each@ Michaels) with those cheap globes (49cents each) E6000(glue) to the candlesticks. I then sponge painted the fluted top of cheapo globes with gold leaf paint then wrapped a piece of evergreen garland and glued on some picks you get in floral dept (25 cents) and added little votives. I made these for my sister in law a few years ago. Super easy- super cheap and super fast :D

WOW! You all are so crafty! I'm taking notes ;) LOL! All we did this year was made lots of new ornaments for our tree... out of those fusion beads (haha)! Oh-well... the kids loved it and they each (well, the older 2... not the 10 month old) made one for their grandparents and are so proud of them...

Next year... I'll plan to be more crafty :)

This year the gifts to the grandparents from the kids are puzzles. I did my kids christmas pics (actually, I do all of their pics... lol) and then made a collage thing and ordered a puzzle of it from walmart.com LOL! That's about as "crafty" as I get ;)

~ Erin (23y/o SAHM to 3 cuties ages 3 and under)

Ms McKenna you are SOOO Creative, while i didnt post in your holiday plate thread those were so pretty! One day.......

Thank you.

I love the little felt snowmen they are too cute. And the snowman soup I will Definately have to do! I may add that in this year with teachers gifts. :) I wonder if you could buy those little cone shaped baggies you see anywhere they owuld be cute to put those in in layers.

We have done both the reindeers and loved those.

Jodi those candle holers are really pretty! Love good cheap ideas that turn out looking nice! I clicked on the pic loved the cats butt in the picture looks like my house lol.