Best Buy substitution: Gateway MX6426 for HP DV6103NR (Early Bird)

gogophs69

Our Best Buy mishandled the ticket distribution and the first 2 of us in line (who had camped out for 15/19 hrs!) did not receive the tickets for the HP notebook DV6103NR listed in the BB ad. As a substitute, they gave the us the Gateway MX6426. I would appreciate it if someone would provide me with information regarding the appropriateness of this substitution.

The HP seems to be more popular and have more information available on the product. I would like to have some expert advice on this comparison.

1) The HP 6103NR has Intel® Centrino® mobile technology with interrelated Intel® Core™ Solo processor T1350, Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection (802.11a/b/g), 512MB DDR2 memory expandable to 2GB; 533MHz frontside bus, 2MB L2 cache and 1.86GHz processor speed.

See: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8135564&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050028&id=1158322071456

2) The Gateway MX6426 has AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-40 HyperTransport™ and AMD PowerNow!™ technologies, 1GB PC4200 DDR memory expandable to 2GB.

See: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8123292&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050027&id=1158320177474

Thanks for your help.

Fairly comparable notebooks....the Turion cpu isn't quite as fast a cpu as the Core Solo, will definitely use more battery power while running, but in the end you'd probably not notice the speed difference at all. The battery life, maybe.

Otherwise, nice it already has a GB of RAM, same type screen, same DVD burner, etc. Fair deal, I'd suppose.

Id take the Gateway over the H.P. any day I think the AMD processor has superior architecture.You will have more time when using just the battery. The Extra ram will come in handy When Microsoft releases Vista.

Sorry, but since the Turion and Turion X2 cpus use more power than Core Solos and Core Duos, the battery life will be a bit longer in the Intel machines.

Without a doubt, the Core Duo is the battery-life champ. With two processor cores, two megabytes of Level 2 cache, and the ability to streamline operations, it balances raw power with extensive battery life. Toss in an Intel-made Wi-Fi radio and an Intel chipset, and the Core Duo is part of the Centrino Duo triad.

Intel's Centrino Duo mobile platform (previously codenamed Napa) comprises the Core Duo (Yonah) processor, the PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless networking module and the 945 Express chipset.

Running at up to 2.16GHz, Core Duo notebooks run rings around the competition, and many offer over four hours of battery life.

Intel's Core Solo processor is very similar to the Core Duo, however, it uses single as opposed to dual processor cores. This results in decreased raw performance, but it also means that the chip consumes less power -- 5.5-27W compared to the Core Duo's 15-31W. The Core Solo runs at speeds of up to 1.83GHz

The Turion 64 X2 is the Core Duo's main competitor. Like Intel's version, it offers two processor cores for increased performance whilst multi-tasking. It also boasts AMD's PowerNow! power management technology, which AMD says can extend system battery life by up to 65%. Built-in anti-virus protection is included, and the processor comes in speeds up to 2GHz. Its power consumption is slightly higher than that seen on Core Duo processors, and ranges between 31 and 35 watts.

The Turion 64 is a cut-down version of the Turion 64 X2. It offers all of the same features as the X2, but like Intel's Core Solo, only includes a single processor core. Its power consumption ranges between 25 and 35 watts, with speeds up to 2.4GHz.