DEAD: Dell Inspiron E1405 (14"/Core Duo/1GB/120GB SATA/DVD-RW/WiFi/Vista) $784

Brad

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:025aBaC4UbJ7YM:http://www.cty1000.com/images/uploads/e1405.jpg

Awesome deal on a loaded Dell laptop! Dell Home has the Dell Inspiron E1405 Laptop w/ Core Duo, 1GB, 120GB for $784. Free shipping is also included.

Specs: Core Duo T2050 1.6GHz/533MHz/2x1MB L2 Cache, 1GB RAM, 120GB SATA Hard Drive, 8x DVD Writer, WiFi, Windows XP Media Center Edition. Free Express Upgrade to Windows Vista.

Dell Inspiron E1405 14" Laptop w/ Core Duo, 1GB, 120GB - $784 Shipped @ Dell Home

What are the major differences and benifits to this over the $585 E1501. I'm not real good with all the tech stuff. Thanks for the help with this.

Major differences are the Intel Core Duo vs AMD Turion 64 processor, this one has a 120GB SATA hard drive vs the smaller HD in the other model. This model is smaller and weighs less, so you're always going to pay a premium for that - if you notice most if not all of the cheap BF laptops were the heavier, bulkier 15.4" models.

What are the major differences and benifits to this over the $585 E1501. I'm not real good with all the tech stuff. Thanks for the help with this.

This is definitely better than the Inspiron 1501 for $585 and Inspiron B130 for $499.

I actually have this model (E1405), of course it's still sitting in the box ;)

It's for me and I'll use it for mainly internet, office functions, and music and photo stuff. No gaming or anything like that. I use it for work and personal so the memory is probably important to me. Right now I'm using a Inspiron 2200 w/768MB and only 60GB HD and its just not cutting it. I need room for more music and MP3 storage and like I said photo work

Budget wise I would like to stay around $900 but I understand you get what you pay for so I'm flexible if I think the benefits out weight the costs.

I'm not real kean on what would benefit me the most so thats why I need your help. I would be willing to look at other deals if you knew of something that would fit my needs better.

Thanks so much for any imput you have

Here are the recommended upgrades which should help "future proof" this laptop so it isn't obsolete next year ;)

• Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5200 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB) [add $50 or $2/month1]
  • Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium from XP Media Center Edition [ Free!]

FREE Upgrade plus $10 shipping & handling payable at time of redemption

• 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery [add $49 or $1/month1]

-- or --

6-cell Primary Battery and 9-cell additional Lithium Ion Battery [add $79 or $2/month1]

• Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g [add $29 or $1/month1]
  • Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate) [$20 or $1/month1]

The recommended upgrades are in listed in order of most recommended first.

How important is battery life to you? It is a laptop and being free of wires is a beautiful thing. When I bought my Dell Inspiron 700m last year I opted for the higher capacity 8 cell battery and I'm glad I did. I get around 5 hours battery life on a full charge and it's awesome not to be tethered to the wall all the time. An upgrade to the 9 cell battery is only $49 more but the best bargain is the $79 upgrade. You get to keep your original 6 cell and get a 9 cell. So basically for only $30 more you get a 6 cell which is an awesome deal.

Total $912 with Core 2 Duo, 9 cell battery and Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g.

If I bump it past $999 can I use the following coupon?

Q?T7W4J36SFLWF Save 20% on any Inspiron Laptop purchase of $999 or more. Coupon expires 11/30/06 at 6:00 am CT or after 4000 uses, whichever comes first. (Added 11/1)

Also: 1) what is the difference between the Wireless you recommended and the one it comes with?

2) what will the Bluetooth do for me?

3) is it cheaper to have security software and productivity suite installed by dell or purchase it and do it myself

Brad or Rossman any input?

If I bump it past $999 can I use the following coupon?

Q?T7W4J36SFLWF Save 20% on any Inspiron Laptop purchase of $999 or more. Coupon expires 11/30/06 at 6:00 am CT or after 4000 uses, whichever comes first. (Added 11/1)

Yes you can but you'll need to begin your purchase here.

Select notebooks, Inspiron, E1405 and the $649 configuration. I configured a loaded E1405 for $1,157 - 20% = $925.60

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/MrsHoneybee/delle1405.jpg

Also: 1) what is the difference between the Wireless you recommended and the one it comes with?

I've read complaints where the Dell wireless isn't as reliable as the Intel 2200 or 3945. I know someone who owns a Dell laptop with the Dell 1390 802.11b/g wireless and their signal goes in and all out the time. I have the older Intel 2200 802.11b/g and it's solid with great range. When I ordered my new Dell E1405 laptop I paid a little extra for the Intel 3945.

2) what will the Bluetooth do for me?

If you have any Bluetooth devices like a headset, printer, keyboard, mouse.

3) is it cheaper to have security software and productivity suite installed by dell or purchase it and do it myself

It's cheaper to buy it elsewhere and do it yourself.

Thanks Rossman!!! I just ordered this-I would've ordered the E1501 if I could have gotten the site to work or if Dell had ever called me like they were supposed to... But I think this might make a better X-mas present. Love this site!:)

You're welcome and congratulations :)

Would you mind sharing with us which upgrades you chose?

I upgraded to the Truelife screen, added Office Basic and got the second battery. I also opted for the Windows Vista upgrade. With free shipping and using the 20% off coupon the total came to $950.88.

Staples has a free McAfee Internet Security Suite after rebate, so I ordered that online, too-I think it's only good through this weekend.

Would this be a good computer for my high school senior to take to college? I don't want to have to buy something better in 6-8 mths. What else do I have to buy with it?

Also, saw same computer at cosco.com for $1499.99

Would this be a good computer for my high school senior to take to college? I don't want to have to buy something better in 6-8 mths. What else do I have to buy with it?

Also, saw same computer at cosco.com for $1499.99

Yes this is perfect for a college bound high school student.

Here's a link to the CostCo $1499 bundle http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11170875

At a quick glance here's what you get for the $715 price difference

Slightly faster CPU

Windows XP Professional

Microsoft Office Small Business Edition

3 year on site warranty

Unless you need everything in that CostCo bundle it isn't as great of a deal.

HI I AM NEW AND NEED YOUR ADVICE ON THIS LAPTOP!

HOW DOES THIS LOOK FOR THE PRICE ???

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

Inspiron E1705 Qty 1

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5200 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 Unit Price $1,108.00

Qualifies for an Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium

Expires Thursday, March 15, 2007 View Details

FREE Upgrade plus $10 shipping & handling payable at time of redemption

Limited Time Offer! View Details

20% off Inspiron Purchase oF $999 or more

LIMITED TIME OFFER! View Details Remove Coupon

- $221.60

Catalog Number: 29 DNCWGA1

Module Description Show Details

Inspiron E1705 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5200 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

LCD Panel 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display

Memory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

Video Card Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Hard Drive 80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0

Combo or DVD+RW Drive 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive

Sound Options Integrated Audio

Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g

Office Software (not included in Windows XP) No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD

Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription

Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Warranty and Service 1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service

Internet Access Service 6 Months of EarthLink Internet Access

Miscellaneous Inspiron 1705 Dual Core

Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable

Upgrade to Windows Vista Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium from XP Media Center Edition

Dell Digital Entertainment No preinstalled software

Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

TOTAL:$886.40

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Discounts and Coupons

Save 2% when you use DPA! (Discount applied at Final Checkout) - $17.73

FREE GROUND SHIPPING!

Total Price

Sub-total $868.67

Shipping & Handling $19.99

Shipping & Handling Discount -$19.99

Tax $52.12

Total Price2 $920.79

If you don't mind me asking, what does this mean?:

Additional Discounts and Coupons

Save 2% when you use DPA! (Discount applied at Final Checkout) - $17.73

What is DPA?:confused:

I'm still trying to decide on exactly what I want. Trying all kins of differnt configs. to get the best deal.