Digital Camera questions

musiang

I need to know if this is a good dig cam and a good price. I know nothing about dig cam, so been VERY weary about buying a new one.:eyepoppin

Sony® Cyber-shot® DSC-S500 6MP (16:9) Super HAD™ CCD Digital Camera

Price...$175.00

A remarkable combination of value, simplicity and performance make this camera the perfect choice for first-time digital photographers. Combines 6-megapixel resolution with a quality 3X optical/2X digital zoom lens design, terrific wide-angle shooting capability, 25MB internal memory for capturing shots in-camera, and a bright 2.4" LCD so you can check your shots and share results immediately.

* F2.8 - 5.6 (32-96mm) 35mm equivalent

* Aperture: f2.8-5.6(W), f4.8-9.7(T)

* ISO: Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400

* MPEG Movie VX (standard/fine)

* PictBridge (USB direct print)

* Red-eye reduction

* Self-timer: 10 sec., 2 sec., off

* 8 photo modes

* QVGA Movie mode

* Burst mode

* Memory Stick DUO PRO™ media

* Mic/speaker

Includes:

* 2 AA batteries

* USB cable

* Wrist strap

* Software CD

Power: 120-240V (auto adjusts), AC, 50/60Hz

Size: 2 1/2"H x 3 7/8"W x 1 1/4"D

I was told when I bought my digital camera to buy at least 4 or more megapixels and the higher the optical zoom number the better.

The megapixels means how clear the pictures are and the zoom means how close you can get from far away.

So if you can get another digital camera with higher pixels and higher zoom for this same price or similiar that is the one I would buy.

I bought a Kodak EasyShare with 5.1 pixels and 12x optical zoom because of that information.

But if all of the pictures you will be taking will be up close, don't worry about it and buy that one.

Hope this helps.

Scout