Where are you hiding your purchases?

outnumbered

Those of you who bought big-ticket items as gifts for people in your household...WHERE are you going to hide them for the next month??? We don't have a garage, just a small shed which is already packed. Our closets are full. And I have a giant 2-drawer project center to hide before dh wakes back up. Ack! That's the only problem with BF...unless you have a lot of storage space, you have your work cut out for you, hiding things when you get home from shopping!

LOL...no relatives for 2000 miles, and all our friends/neighbors live in the same housing with the same very limited storage space, and have their own junk filling it up. ;) Hmm...I might be able to cram it into the shed, but if so, I'll have to keep dh out of it for a month. I'll have to tell him he needs to empty it out and reorganize it...then he ought to stay away. :rotflol: Seriously, though, I'm not sure if I can even lug it into the house, let alone the shed out back. Maybe I'll just wrap it outside and leave it in the front doorway. Or throw everything in his closet out to make room. I think the lack of sleep/lots of coffee is making me a little "out there" this morning...

Used to "hide" major purchases in plain sight in my house and claim they were being stored for a neighbor until Christmas and then...surprise... this is really for you. Neighbor did same thing for their house. Can only pull this stunt every couple of years to keep everyone guessing if it real or memorex. Rick

Right now..mine are still sitting in my van!! :rotflol: I have 2 boxes in our basement with other things we had already picked up and packaging tape so they can't get into it without us knowing.

The packages we got today.. I have no clue where I'm gonna put them. Too tired to think about it right now. Still feeling the effects of very little rest. Now ya got me thinking.. I really do need to find somewhere! :giggle:

All the gifts are in my workshop, in boxes left over from our move a few months ago. If anyone looks, they see large moving boxes with packing paper in them. My trick is trying to get gifts bought on BF home from Iowa in the same minivan with my wife, who also went BF shopping with her sisters while I went separately with my BIL.

Before BF I had already purchased 90% of my gifts for my kids. They are wrapped, tagged, and ready to go (In Black Contractor bags in garage). The new gifts I bought yesterday on BF are in bags and covered with a blanket. Screams- "Take a peek" so I have to wrap again today. Last year my son got into the garage a week before christmas and found his stocking. Opened some candy and a small gift. Threats were made this year! I told him I keep all receipts and will return a gift if he even touches them this year! He was 9 then and knew the santa secret!

My husband has his boat in our garage and I hide mine in there. We just put the cover on because the kids no they are not aloud to touch daddy's boat :)

Ooh, now that's convenient! I wound up wrapping the huge box, twice actually, to get it covered enough so that the type on the side of the box wouldn't show through, and then I set it to the side of our stairway. It's the only place in the entire apartment that it will fit--too heavy to lug upstairs or out to the shed. And then I didn't put a "to" tag on it or tell anyone who it is for. So now dh is assuming it's for one of the children. I even wrapped up a smaller gift for him and put it on top of the box to throw him off--he thinks that is his gift and has been after me about what I got him...he hasn't even asked about the huge box! Not sure if that will continue till Christmas, but it's a good start at least.

I drop everything off for the kids at my mother in laws, and hide it in her attic. A couple days before Christmas I go and put it all in large trash bags, and put it all in our basement while they're gone! I do have a few things hidden out in out Motor home though LOL!! I'm getting hubby saw horses and I don't know where to hide those though!

I drop everything off for the kids at my mother in laws, and hide it in her attic. A couple days before Christmas I go and put it all in large trash bags, and put it all in our basement while they're gone! I do have a few things hidden out in out Motor home though LOL!! I'm getting hubby saw horses and I don't know where to hide those though!

Dress them up as Reindeer and put the out in the front yard!! :rotflol::rotflol: Sorry I just couldn't help myself ! ;)

OK I have a question for everyone!! Do you hide everything and sometimes forget where you put some of them?? Or am I the ONLY one?!! LOL I hid a CD for my oldest one year and STILL haven't found it! That was about 3yrs. ago :eek::2elephant I do have the receipt for it so I know I bought it LOL. But when I hide things I do it well. Sometimes throughout the year I find something else! It never fails each year my DH & I will look at each other and ask did they open "this or that" yet? I have had to then look for it and try to sneak it in somehow!

I always end up finding an iitem or two after Christmas. I keep them for birthdays then.

We have a 30' camper that is covered so I sneask the presents out there. Nobody ever thinks to go thru the trouble of un-doing the straps on the cover to slide thru the door. Works for me every year.

Guest Luckycharm

OK I have a question for everyone!! Do you hide everything and sometimes forget where you put some of them?? Or am I the ONLY one?!! LOL I hid a CD for my oldest one year and STILL haven't found it! That was about 3yrs. ago :eek::2elephant I do have the receipt for it so I know I bought it LOL. But when I hide things I do it well. Sometimes throughout the year I find something else! It never fails each year my DH & I will look at each other and ask did they open "this or that" yet? I have had to then look for it and try to sneak it in somehow!

I've got a story!!! When my Grandmother went into a nursing home several years ago, we were cleaning out her basement and I happened upon some folded up giftwrap that was HARD? I opened it and there were two Beatles 45's from the 1960's that were for my Uncle I would guess, for Xmas. He was probably 16 when she bought them and 55 when we found them!!!

Guest DigDoug
You can't get me to sneak a peek at a present of mine. I like the spirit of Christmas and the anticipation. After all the presents are opened, it's almost a letdown. Anyway, my gf can read my mind so it doesn't matter where I hide anything. ;) the rest of my family lives 5 or 6 states away so no worries there.

I'm hiding my presents in my walk in hall closet. It has a lock on it but I also have a 13 yr old son who can pick a lock faster then I thought possible. So I think the presents are going to be moved to the attic. That might be a pain in the rear to put up there and get back down but I like a little suprise on Christmas! If I wanted him to know what I got for him and his brother and sister I would just give them my Visa and tell them to get what they want!

Lucky for me that mine still both believe in Santa and don't bother to look because 4 HUGE things are in the little one's second bedroom closet (I had no where else to put them), we usually store linen's in there anyway so I guess nobody's opens the door because it's not exciting LOL!

I have ALWAYS just wrapped them after the kids and whoever else went to bed (on the day I bought them). The trick is, I don't put names on them. I use one kind of wrapping paper per person and keep a list in my wallet. Then I just sit them out in the living room by where the tree is going.

I started doing this when our kids were very very little and I still do it though they are now 15, 17, and 29. The grandkids stay out of the gifts this way though :-)

I've got a story!!! When my Grandmother went into a nursing home several years ago, we were cleaning out her basement and I happened upon some folded up giftwrap that was HARD? I opened it and there were two Beatles 45's from the 1960's that were for my Uncle I would guess, for Xmas. He was probably 16 when she bought them and 55 when we found them!!!

:eek: Holy cow! Now that would be a FUN FIND! Maybe when I get sent to "the home" they'll find the CD. lol

I put everything I get (normally) in the basement workshop. Except for dh's, his go under the bed. That's one place he will never, ever look in a million years!LOL

In the basement I have several piles of gifts for other people (not my kids) and I wrapped each group in the same paper too. Now I know at a glance, who that pile is for.

Since dh and I shop separately, I don't wrap them until he sees them. That way, when he shops at the last minute, he knows what they already have.

Dawn