Letting employees shop BEFORE the doors open

heavenlysshine

I wonder if it has changed or if its based on the store manager actually

reason I say this is last year I was in line at Target to get somethings and I had a employee right behind me waiting she got off work from stocking or what have you. shewas waiting behind me to get things she wanted and I remember commenting on she probably had her cart set on the side . her response was oh no we are not allowed to do that we have towait our here with all of you once our shift is over.

I was glad and surprised to hear that ~~

I work at K-mart, I only started a month ago so I have no clue what their policy is on this. I agree that on limited items (where they only have like 10 or so) that employees shouldn't be allow to buy those items before the doors open up. If they were, their probably wouldn't be any of those items left which would mean it would be false advertising. Now on items that they have a several hundred or whatever I think they should be aloud to buy. They are the ones that are going to have to deal with all the crabby people all day. Yes, it's there choice to work there, but at the same time there's no reason for customers to treat them like crap. We deal with people like that all day long, we deserve a little break. Someone has to work in retail.

I actually agree with you. I wouldn't touch retail with a ten-foot pole. I also agree that limited items should be for those of us who wait hours on end in line. If an employee is single, etc. then maybe a relative or friend could try for the item for them. My point is that employees hoarding big ticket items is wrong, but I think you agree.

I work at K-mart, I only started a month ago so I have no clue what their policy is on this. I agree that on limited items (where they only have like 10 or so) that employees shouldn't be allow to buy those items before the doors open up. If they were, their probably wouldn't be any of those items left which would mean it would be false advertising. Now on items that they have a several hundred or whatever I think they should be aloud to buy. They are the ones that are going to have to deal with all the crabby people all day. Yes, it's there choice to work there, but at the same time there's no reason for customers to treat them like crap. We deal with people like that all day long, we deserve a little break. Someone has to work in retail.

I have to agree with the last few posts. If you've never worked a BF in retail, you don't have a CLUE how much those employees deserve to get the same daels as the customers of the store they slave for all year round. Yes, there should be limitations, but for the abuse taken all day on BF, they should definately get SOME benefits!

OK, but where do they draw the line? Say Target has 20 laptops...and 18 employees want a laptop? Is it fair that only 2 customers out of the 20+ that have been waiting get the deal? What if the item you or me, or any of us for that matter needs is limited in that way? We should wait for hours atop hours only to be turned away due to employees scooping everything up? For such limited quantities employees should have to wait with the rest of us.

OK, but where do they draw the line? Say Target has 20 laptops...and 18 employees want a laptop? Is it fair that only 2 customers out of the 20+ that have been waiting get the deal? What if the item you or me, or any of us for that matter needs is limited in that way? We should wait for hours atop hours only to be turned away due to employees scooping everything up? For such limited quantities employees should have to wait with the rest of us.

:gdiagree:

I think this year I will take a box or two of Krispy Cremes into the store and say thank you to all the employees who worked all Thanksgiving night to bring us Black Friday. When I go into walmart at 1:00am. I will give them out as I scope out where every thing is before I find where I need to wait in line, I may send my runners to ger things for some of them when Blitz starts as I take 4 people to run for Items I want as I wait for big ticket items.

This will be my Holiday cheer for the season.

At my walmart every employee works on black friday, from management down to the maintanence crews. While your not allowed to take items until the sale starts, we are the ones who know where everything is so its a no brainer to grab the item you want and keep it in the back until you have a break to pay for it. Its unlikely you would get in trouble unless you try to take several of one item.

At WM this is called "understocking", and yes, you can technically get in trouble for it. Truth be told, though, you are right that most managers will allow it as long as associates don't take advantage.

I totally think it's unfair that employees get dibs on items. Somebody posted that they should be allowed because they "work all night to bring you what you want" WELL DUH that's their freakin' job!!! I worked at TRU the earl Tickle-me-Elmo was out...and let me tell you. Those things were in the store a good week before the release. Anybody who wanted on just had to "lay-away" and pay for it the day of the release. Left overs went on the shelf (there weren't many) and the shoppers got rain checks which the store KNEW would NOT be filled by Christmas. I thought it then, and think it now...this sucks.

I agree, for items with extreme limited quantities, those should be reserved for customers waiting for hours. However, I think that the employees that work that early bird shift, where some of the best buys on toys, clothes, etc are in effect should be able to take advantage if its a case of a price change before their shift is over. Who has ever made it through a line anywhere on a 30 minute lunch break, even if they're lucky enough to get it before the sale is over.

Guest RealLivePrinces

One thing my store does is a lottery. We had lines last year that crossed each other in the back (and 10 registers going total for both sides). There was no way associates could've shopped even during break.

I think we had a few Elmos and cameras and such, and out of say, 20 Elmos, 5 were held for associates to buy out of about 15 entries. I really hope other stores follow suit, it was a brilliant idea by management and probably the best compromise.

I think that on items that have a LINE for them, the employees should onmly be able to get them if they stand in line like the rest of us. Having worked in retail for a while, I believe that the customer comes first. Without them, people working in retail would be without a job!

I think this year I will take a box or two of Krispy Cremes into the store and say thank you to all the employees who worked all Thanksgiving night to bring us Black Friday. When I go into walmart at 1:00am. I will give them out as I scope out where every thing is before I find where I need to wait in line, I may send my runners to ger things for some of them when Blitz starts as I take 4 people to run for Items I want as I wait for big ticket items.

This will be my Holiday cheer for the season.

Paula, that's a great idea. You are right, even though it's their job, if they weren't willing to work that job, we wouldn't be getting the items we want at all. All jobs have their drawbacks, true, but it's nice to know you are appreciated. I'm not sure about other retailers, but WalMart employees aren't getting rich by working there.LOL They, for the most part, are trying to support their families like the rest of us. I worked in management at a fast food restaurant for years, and trust me, there is in no way enough money to put up with the crap off of customers I had to put up with everyday. I left that job and was lucky enough to find something else, which I am very thankful for, but it's not perfect either.LOL It's just that I would not want to deal with customers on a regular basis for nothing, people are too rude now. They rarely say thank you and even if it's my job, what's wrong with courtesy and good ol' fashioned manners?!?!?:)

For three years, I worked retail for a Disney Outlet part-time. We would close Wednesday night at 6:00pm, but I wouldn't get to leave until about 10:00pm or so doing prelim work. I would then come back on BF at 5:00AM and get ready some more for our 8:00 AM opening.

Castmembers were allowed to put some things on the "hold" shelf in the back with their name on it. We always had first look-first get EVERYDAY. We always had to pay for it the day we put it on the hold shelf, but the BF price was good for us all day (including our discount). However, if you weren't working the opening shift, you couldn't put anything back. You had to wait out front just like everyone else.

Unless you had a friend opening and they would put it back for you under their name and you would get there before they left....

Unless you could "climb" the shelves and hide what you wanted up on the fourth stack under the giant Plush....

But they pretty much kept it a secret what would be on sale on BF until a few days before. We would have to guess by what boxes where coming in, etc. Made it pretty fun for us. The outlet didn't put out Ads in the paper.

Of course, I worked an outlet, not a BigBox store where there are hard to find items that everyone wants. I just know that people are not the kindest to those working BF sometimes and we didn't make that huge of an amount an hour for pay. I understand when people who work there want something. But if it is a loss-leader, meant to bring in the crowds and there aren't any because the employees , then that could start a riot.

i think employees should be able to shop too. remember that most retail employees work for minimum wage, strange hours, not too much flexability with shifts. those of us who are lucky enough to get out and enjoy the weekend or holiday shopping should sympathize with them. so what if i have to pay a little more later, or hit another store. if its not there when i get there, its not ment for me to have it.

Employees should not be able to have an advantage over regular customers on doorbuster, or any items on sale. They chose to work retail and all of the positives and negatives that come with it. Besides, employees get bonus discounts from time to time. When I worked in Fred Meyer, every month we'd get double 10% discounts, plus another 10% discount on certain things. And, these days, how much are we really saving standing outside a store in the cold; maybe 30%-50%. Of course, even when there are rules about it, I know for a fact that Wal-Mart employees in my area set doorbuster items aside for themselves every BF.

Employees should not be able to have an advantage over regular customers on doorbuster, or any items on sale. They chose to work retail and all of the positives and negatives that come with it.

Being able to grab an item before you can is truly a positive with that mindset. I'll take it.

Having employees shop before customers makes absolutely no sense. The whole point of a sale is to draw customers into the store - not employees!

If an employee isn't able to purchase a product for the same price or lower than a customer it sounds to me like the store should revise it's policies (benefits). There shouldn't have to be competition between employees and customers.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

i think employees should be able to shop too. remember that most retail employees work for minimum wage, strange hours, not too much flexability with shifts. those of us who are lucky enough to get out and enjoy the weekend or holiday shopping should sympathize with them. so what if i have to pay a little more later, or hit another store. if its not there when i get there, its not ment for me to have it.

Great idea!

I fully support this idea!

Next year, I will easily walk in to BB for a part time job. I'll take a few vacation days for BF, and I'll get EVERY one of the door busters!

All because I'm an employee.

I can make thousands on this deal. Especially with the other employees that I bankroll.

(That was sarcasm, by the way....)

I work at a retail store and frankly I think the least they can do is let the employee's get first dibs. The pay & benefits in retail aren't that great (and neither are the hours) and at some stores neither is the discount, not to mention it's hard work standing there for hours on end, listening to people complain and nickel and dime, however, I imagine they'd only let the employees do this on items in large quantities like DVDs, CDs, etc...I can't imagine if the store has 20 laptops they would let the employees buy them ALL.

Great idea!

I fully support this idea!

Next year, I will easily walk in to BB for a part time job. I'll take a few vacation days for BF, and I'll get EVERY one of the door busters!

All because I'm an employee.

I can make thousands on this deal. Especially with the other employees that I bankroll.

(That was sarcasm, by the way....)

no need to be ugly. this is a fourm for opininon, i expressed mine. I did not expect to be scolded by sarcasm--either you agree or disagree, but no need to be ugly about it.

I actually asked the cashier at the BB I was in located in Durham NC and she only responded that "Well we have been here since 4 and"....she left it at that ...so I took that as a yes....I assumed if they were scheduled to work that morning they must have given them first dibs on the goods.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Having employees shop before customers makes absolutely no sense. The whole point of a sale is to draw customers into the store - not employees!

Adam

A employee pays just like a customer.You people are really being pretty nasty.I think the lottery system sounded more that fair.I would like to know where some of your work that keep saying 'THAT IS THEIR JOB-TO BE THERE EVERY BLACK FRIDAY!!!!"

A employee pays just like a customer.You people are really being pretty nasty.I think the lottery system sounded more that fair.I would like to know where some of your work that keep saying 'THAT IS THEIR JOB-TO BE THERE EVERY BLACK FRIDAY!!!!"

This thread is about employees purchasing before any other customers. My point was that an employee should have to wait in line like everyone else - not have an advantage. If you give employees an advantage, you are defeating the whole purpose of the sale (which is of course to bring the customers into the store).

I don't think it's nasty at all, I think that's fair.

I've worked in retail before and like any other job, there may be disadvantages or things you don't like. That, in iteself, does not entitle employees to special privledges.

Adam