Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#121 IceQueen  OFFLINE  

IceQueen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 19, 2006 - 5:00 am

Actually, I may wait now a bit. My dad (God love him) decided to get a Digital. He can barely operate a PC, was a professional photog, and wanted a big camera. From his description, I think he got the Nikon D50 with the lens, which is a great camera, and he said if he couldn't figure it out that he'd give me that one and he'd take my little Nikon Coolpix, which he used fine last time I was there and liked it. Frankly, he said he could barely get the thing on, so I may end up with a nicer camera :D

#122 vaindioux  OFFLINE  

vaindioux

• PipPipPip
  • 3 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 19, 2006 - 7:16 am

Hi Does anyone know the Kodak 6.1 Megapixels camera exact model featured on Target BF add? I want like to read reviews and compare prices on it. Thanks a lot Patrick

#123 Bestbuy7  OFFLINE  

Bestbuy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 19, 2006 - 10:42 am

Hi

Does anyone know the Kodak 6.1 Megapixels camera exact model featured on Target BF add? I want like to read reviews and compare prices on it.

Thanks a lot

Patrick

Model - c633
http://www.amazon.co...8&s=electronics

#124 ChronoSerge456  OFFLINE  

ChronoSerge456

• PipPipPip
  • 3 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 19, 2006 - 1:14 pm

First time poster here. I was thinking about getting the PV-GS39 that is going to be on sale at Best Buy. I was wondering if anyone has had hands-on experiences with it. I've been looking at the PV-GS series since the 20's up to the 35's. Does anyone have any comments about it? This will be my first camcorder and I plan on using it for events, road trips, amateur movies, and some other things for fun. I am in my mid to late teens and don't really need high quality stuff. Also, a question that has always been on my mind, how do you transfer the movies you made from a miniDV to your computer? That's always boggled my mind...

#125 vaindioux  OFFLINE  

vaindioux

• PipPipPip
  • 3 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 19, 2006 - 1:52 pm

Thanks a lot Patrick :)

#126 Bestbuy7  OFFLINE  

Bestbuy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 19, 2006 - 3:50 pm

First time poster here. I was thinking about getting the PV-GS39 that is going to be on sale at Best Buy. I was wondering if anyone has had hands-on experiences with it. I've been looking at the PV-GS series since the 20's up to the 35's.

Does anyone have any comments about it? This will be my first camcorder and I plan on using it for events, road trips, amateur movies, and some other things for fun. I am in my mid to late teens and don't really need high quality stuff.

Also, a question that has always been on my mind, how do you transfer the movies you made from a miniDV to your computer? That's always boggled my mind...

Here are some comments about the camcorder-(Scroll down until you see Customer's Reviews)
http://www.amazon.co...ie=UTF8&s=photo

#127 Anita967  OFFLINE  

Anita967

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 19, 2006 - 4:24 pm

I have a 15 year old who wants her first dig camera. I only want to spend about $50. Can this be done?

#128 j9tcarr  OFFLINE  

j9tcarr

• PipPipPip
  • 2 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 19, 2006 - 5:32 pm

I have the Canon S2 and love it! It also takes digital quality video- awesome! The only bad thing is it doesn't get a lot of video time on the memory cards- I just bought two 1 GB cards so I hope that helps! I am new on this site and realized it was a while ago people were taking about the Canon S2- page 1- but I left it in case anyone is interested. Also I am looking for a camera for my kids 7 & 8 for Christmas- anyone know anything about the Kodak EasyShare C433?

#129 KSet  OFFLINE  

KSet

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 2:59 am

OK...this is my first post on here. I have been reading up on this site for a few weeks now, and I am in the market to find a digital camera and a digital camcorder on BF. I have narrowed my search down to the Cannon SD600, since that seems to have the best reviews, and most people have been very happy with them. CC is the cheapest I found it on BF with a price of $199.99. After searching, I found a better deal. On newegg.com they have this camera with a 1GB SD card free for $210.99. If I did my research right, this card alone is around $50. I think I may go ahead on purchase this camera online, instead of waiting until BF. Any thoughts on this, and has anyone purchased cameras from this site? How long does it usually take to arrive?

#130 kselzer  OFFLINE  

kselzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 4:54 am

I have a 15 year old who wants her first dig camera. I only want to spend about $50. Can this be done?

There is a kodak camera for $49.99 that is being talked about in the offline deals area at http://forums.gottad...ead.php?t=56163 Make sure to read most of the posts. It appears the store that advertised them does not have them in stock, but Sears will price match and give additional 10% off.

#131 Anita967  OFFLINE  

Anita967

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 6:55 am

Thanks!!

#132 madnmas  OFFLINE  

madnmas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 7:13 am

I have seen a good deal on a HP Photosmart 6MP camera....this is for my mom who wants to point and shoot for the most part.... only 99.88 at Wal-mart. Are HP's not good cameras? Also, I found a Vivitar 6150s 6 mp CAMERA for 99.99? And advice? I don't want to jip my mom, this will be her first DC, but these photos won't be submitted to Time magazine either. :)

#133 madnmas  OFFLINE  

madnmas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 7:44 am

So anyone have any input on which cameras on BF in the $80-$100 are the best deals for a teenager? I see this has been asked but no answers yet. Where are all of you digital camera gurus? Please share your opinions.

How about skipping the ridiculous lines on BF?

I found this today....

http://accessories.u...19&sku=A0606614

Plus, SHipping is FREE and ships in 24 hours. :D

#134 Guest_Boraxo_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_Boraxo_*
  • Member since --

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 11:29 am

We have been a Nikon family for years. I bought DH a SLR when DD was born (23 years ago) and it's still going strong. It's just has virtually nothing "auto" on it.

I now own a Nikon D70 and absolutely LOVE it!! It's a 6.1 MP and I could blow the things up huge and you could never tell it's a digital. But since it's a SLR, it's big.

DD is now looking for a new one and I am strongly recommending the Nikon to her. I remember a couple being on the ads for BF and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them. 5-6 MP is plenty unless you are planning on blowing up something to really HUGE proportions! The big thing you want to check for is the write speed and shutter lag. If you have a big shutter lag, then your pix will be blurry just from handshake. Either that or you will have to use a tripod all the time. If it has virtually no shutter lag, and a fast write speed, you should have no problems at all. From there, you just need to check for extra features that you might want, like portrait mode, twilight mode, action mode, macro mode, etc.

Agree 100%. In January I broke down and bought a Nikon D50 DSLR (slightly cheaper and more novice-friendly than the D70) and have no regrets. b There is no comparison compared with the cheapo pocket digicams. And the instant-on, instant-shutter means that you won't miss any more shots of children while waiting for the camera to warm up and shoot. We used it at the olympics and got some amazing action shots. The price is not cheap but it is the best camera I have ever owned.

As for the pocket cams, the Casio Exlim line is very highly rated. IMO the best buys this year are on the EX60 and Z60, $139 at Target and $149 at Circuit City. Tremendous deal for a 6MB camera with 3x optical zoom.

Don't forget about Amazon when shopping - the prices (tax free) are often quite competitive and IMO the customer service and fast shipping are worth a little extra.

#135 sniperomega  OFFLINE  

sniperomega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 11:31 am

I'm hoping to get a camera that i will use in school (design major). I still have 3 years, and I'm probably going to get a really good deal on one that will last at least 18 months... and if not I will be getting the canon rebel xti. (~800 w/ lens and memory card) from what i hear/read canon and nikon are the better stuffs to get. dpreview dot com (i guess i dont have enough posts to post a link) has alot of info for cameras *edit* read the entire thread now. Tagej, sj1027, marigot and I are all on the same boat. Care to share AIM/Email for any info guys?

#136 sniperomega  OFFLINE  

sniperomega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 12:01 pm

to: Tagej, sj1027, marigot

oh damnit. i cant even sent PMs b/c i dont have enough posts
ugh

my location:
Sourthern Cali (near LA)

my contact info:
email: sniperomega @ gmail . com
aim: snipromega

From this site I saw that staples and compusa had deals on the camera, while newegg had it for cheaper now then waiting or waiting in line.
I prefer the black over the silver, what's your guys' opinions?

at this rate, with no BF deals better then newegg, I am probably just going to wait in line at Fry's like i did for the past 2 years.. and get an LCD for a friend/family, and maybe a HDD for myself while checking out their camera deals.

#137 marigot  OFFLINE  

marigot

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 1:00 pm

sniperomega, I personally don't want to pay more than $700 - I can buy it for $800 anytime, but I'm waiting for a better price. Any $100 saved goes towards buying a better lens, so I'll try to be patient. At one point I found it on Amazon for 769 no free shipping, but that lasted a few hours. However, it gave me hope that the price will go down further. Apparently not for BF but maybe for Christmas it will go down, I'm hoping. I'm disappointed with the camera deals this BF, $800 it's no deal.

As soon as I find a price under 800 (I comb the net several times a day) I'll post it here and send you a mail (I see you want it as badly as I :D ).

Edited to add this: for those that settle for silver, $763.99 for the kit here.

#138 lynn421  OFFLINE  

lynn421

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 3:54 pm

Hi guys, I'm torn between the Cannon SD600 or the Sony DSC-W70. I already have a Cannon, and the media cards. With the Sony, I'd have to get a new media card and it's $50 more on BF. Any thoughts? :eyepoppin :confused:

#139 madnmas  OFFLINE  

madnmas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 5:39 pm

are memory cards "universal"? I got one last year for my Kodak from Wal-Mart..they were on sale for only $13....I am getting a $100 Kodak for my mom this year...can anyone point me to a real cheap one?

#140 Bestbuy7  OFFLINE  

Bestbuy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 6:34 pm

OK...this is my first post on here. I have been reading up on this site for a few weeks now, and I am in the market to find a digital camera and a digital camcorder on BF. I have narrowed my search down to the Cannon SD600, since that seems to have the best reviews, and most people have been very happy with them. CC is the cheapest I found it on BF with a price of $199.99.
After searching, I found a better deal. On newegg.com they have this camera with a 1GB SD card free for $210.99. If I did my research right, this card alone is around $50. I think I may go ahead on purchase this camera online, instead of waiting until BF. Any thoughts on this, and has anyone purchased cameras from this site? How long does it usually take to arrive?

Bestbuy will have a 2gb sd card for 29.99 . So 199.99 + 29.99 = 229.98 + TAX.
Tough decision.

#141 zxcvbnm  OFFLINE  

zxcvbnm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 7:23 pm

Bestbuy will have a 2gb sd card for 29.99 . So 199.99 + 29.99 = 229.98 + TAX.
Tough decision.

Circuit City has SD cards for like $2.99 on Black Friday.

#142 Shonette  OFFLINE  

Shonette

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 20, 2006 - 9:07 pm

Okay I looked at the ads...and am still confused :eyepoppin I want a dig camera for my kids (need 2 so I don't want to spend alot) to take on our vacation to Hawaii. I am interested in the Kodak at Staples, the Kodak at Office Depot and the Samsung at Wal-Mart. Can anyone tell me if these are decent for a 9-12 year old? Thank you so much for all of your input....I don't know what I would do without you :)

#143 lynn421  OFFLINE  

lynn421

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 21, 2006 - 4:03 am

Thanks THX1138, I went to both Best Buy and CC last night and both places told me the Cannon takes better pictures. Hopefully I can get there in time! lol. Thanks again, and good luck to everyone on Friday! :)

#144 disgrajak  OFFLINE  

disgrajak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 21, 2006 - 8:04 am

I have never purchased a digital camera before. Does anyone have an opinion on which of these two cameras would be better?? Cannon A530 or Kodak C633? Thanks to anyone who has a thought on this.

#145 sniperomega  OFFLINE  

sniperomega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 21, 2006 - 10:06 am

sniperomega, I personally don't want to pay more than $700 - I can buy it for $800 anytime, but I'm waiting for a better price. Any $100 saved goes towards buying a better lens, so I'll try to be patient. At one point I found it on Amazon for 769 no free shipping, but that lasted a few hours. However, it gave me hope that the price will go down further. Apparently not for BF but maybe for Christmas it will go down, I'm hoping. I'm disappointed with the camera deals this BF, $800 it's no deal.

As soon as I find a price under 800 (I comb the net several times a day) I'll post it here and send you a mail (I see you want it as badly as I :D ).

Edited to add this: for those that settle for silver, $763.99 for the kit here.

this is going to be my first semi-pro camera. it will be very usefull for college the next 3 years. i dont have any experience on adjustable lens' but i think i can pick it up well. the one that comes in the kit looks like a good beginer one, but ive heard a few other people suggest a static/single zoom lens. whats your opinion on the matter?

#146 kselzer  OFFLINE  

kselzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 21, 2006 - 10:46 am

I have never purchased a digital camera before. Does anyone have an opinion on which of these two cameras would be better?? Cannon A530 or Kodak C633? Thanks to anyone who has a thought on this.

IMO, in doing some research the Canon is much better than the Kodak. When I was looking at the different models and brands Kodak kept coming up with complaints mostly about customer service and warranty service. So I suppose if you get a kodak camera with no problems then you're fine, but their warranty service seems horrible. The Canon A530 has gotten really good reviews from many different websites, there are plenty of customer reviews on this model at Amazon.com. I'm looking at the Canon a540 because it has a bigger LCD screen, but having a hard time finding it on sale...hopefully Office Max will get in more today or tommorrow. The Canon a530 and a540 were #2 & #4 in sales on Amazon.com when I was researching the cameras this past week. I was also considering the Casio Exilm series, but it takes a special battery, not just a couple AA batteries.

#147 disgrajak  OFFLINE  

disgrajak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 21, 2006 - 10:54 am

Thank you so much for your help on this KSELZER!:)

#148 JCz7383  OFFLINE  

JCz7383

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 21, 2006 - 12:11 pm

this is going to be my first semi-pro camera. it will be very usefull for college the next 3 years. i dont have any experience on adjustable lens' but i think i can pick it up well. the one that comes in the kit looks like a good beginer one, but ive heard a few other people suggest a static/single zoom lens. whats your opinion on the matter?

Pick up the Nikon D50 with the 28-80mm kit lense for $550. I've seen it listed on sights like Ritz with all sorts of goodies. With the money saved there, pick up the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lense and you'll have yourself a great beginners kit. The 50mm is NOT a zoom lense but is arguably once of the sharpest and fastest lenses available and it costs only about $100! The kit lense that comes with the D50 usually is a fair lense. Its pretty crappy at its extremes (28mm and 80mm) but its passable and will give you a zoom to play around with when you're starting off.

If you have any aspiration of taking quality, artistic, and/or generally captivating shots consistently do not waste your money on any point and shoot variety. The D50, while a model being phased out, will offer you plenty of features and truly the body is more than capable to grow with. As you advance, pick up better glass for it and you'll see that the body serves you just as well. Can always upgrade next year or the year after to the latest and greatest.

(woopie for my first post :))

#149 Guest_Boraxo_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_Boraxo_*
  • Member since --

Posted Nov 21, 2006 - 1:57 pm

Pick up the Nikon D50 with the 28-80mm kit lense for $550. I've seen it listed on sights like Ritz with all sorts of goodies. With the money saved there, pick up the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lense and you'll have yourself a great beginners kit. The 50mm is NOT a zoom lense but is arguably once of the sharpest and fastest lenses available and it costs only about $100! The kit lense that comes with the D50 usually is a fair lense. Its pretty crappy at its extremes (28mm and 80mm) but its passable and will give you a zoom to play around with when you're starting off.

If you have any aspiration of taking quality, artistic, and/or generally captivating shots consistently do not waste your money on any point and shoot variety. The D50, while a model being phased out, will offer you plenty of features and truly the body is more than capable to grow with. As you advance, pick up better glass for it and you'll see that the body serves you just as well. Can always upgrade next year or the year after to the latest and greatest.

(woopie for my first post :))

I love my D50 - but would recommend the kit with the two lenses, i.e. 18-70 and 55-200, rather than the poorly rated 28-80. Or simply buy the 70-300 telephoto which is being offered by Ritz this weekend for $169!! But definitely invest in the longer lens which you will need if you plan to take outdoor pics, particularly sporting events.

#150 Bestbuy7  OFFLINE  

Bestbuy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 21, 2006 - 3:23 pm

Circuit City has SD cards for like $2.99 on Black Friday.

With a MIB:yuck:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users