Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#31 catsmeowjewelry  OFFLINE  

catsmeowjewelry

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 21, 2006 - 11:32 am

Everyone I know that has a Nikkon Cool pix (and that's quite a few in an online group) LOVES theirs and always recommends them when the subject comes up. Doesn't seem to matter the model. Just get the one that has all the features you want. :) I, too, would like a digi camera for my 10 1/2 year old who has been asking for 2 years now! LOL The FP are too "low" for her, and the lower price ones I see in stores seem to not have flash, zoom, or are really low MPs. Kym

#32 phlip  OFFLINE  

phlip

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 23, 2006 - 9:58 am

My wife and I and my wife's parents own a Canon Powershot A520. They take excellent quality pictures, and even w/ 4MP we have blown them up to 5x7 without a problem. All of our friends ask what kind of camera we have. My wife barely uses her regular SLR since we got this camera. I'm sure the A530 would be a great choice.

#33 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 23, 2006 - 10:06 pm

My wife and I and my wife's parents own a Canon Powershot A520. They take excellent quality pictures, and even w/ 4MP we have blown them up to 5x7 without a problem. All of our friends ask what kind of camera we have. My wife barely uses her regular SLR since we got this camera. I'm sure the A530 would be a great choice.

Agreed and you can buy the Canon PowerShot A530 today for only $129.99 with free shipping.

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co...SIN/B000EMU888/

#34 amyers12345  OFFLINE  

amyers12345

Unofficial Resident Tax Pro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,498 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 24, 2006 - 6:49 am

We bought the Kodak Easy Share Z760 last year on BF. I absolutely love it. It is a 6.1 MP with 3x optical and 4X digital zoon. We paid $197 for it with the dock. It was a GREAT deal.. very simple to use, and durable.

#35 amish  OFFLINE  

amish

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 24, 2006 - 7:33 am

I would love to find the Kodak c875 this year, but it is a fairly new model 8MP, 5X optical zoom, in-camera panorama "stitching", etc. I would settle for a Kodak c533 for the kids, though.

#36 amyers12345  OFFLINE  

amyers12345

Unofficial Resident Tax Pro

• 3,498 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 24, 2006 - 7:43 am

I would love to find the Kodak c875 this year, but it is a fairly new model 8MP, 5X optical zoom, in-camera panorama "stitching", etc.

I would settle for a Kodak c533 for the kids, though.

Mine was a new model last year... keep your fingers crossed! Mine individually was $298.00.
(I know, I want the one with better zoom too!)

#37 ksteigert  OFFLINE  

ksteigert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 24, 2006 - 8:39 am

What was the price range on the Maxxum that you bought last year? I have done a lot of research on digital SLR's and am really hoping for a good deal to pop up on one on BF so I can make the transition from film to digital.

Also be on the lookout for Sony's digital SLR this season. Konica Minolta is no longer making cameras, but Sony bought out their camera division, and is making cameras that will be compatible with your lenses.

I got a Maxxum 5 last Christmas for $600 (body only) at Beach camera.

#38 disneynutangie  OFFLINE  

disneynutangie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 24, 2006 - 8:57 am

I saw Kmart has a 7mp for $99.99 on Thanksgiving day. Do you think this camera would be name brand by any chance? Would you even consider buying it. This will be my first digital. I am too hooked on my film camera.

#39 amish  OFFLINE  

amish

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 24, 2006 - 9:33 am

Do you think this camera would be name brand by any chance?

I would guess no. Especially since the listed the brand for other ones that are "name" brands.

#40 disneynutangie  OFFLINE  

disneynutangie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 24, 2006 - 9:54 am

Would I be crazy to buy it because this will be my first digital and I have no idea what to expect and how to use it.

#41 xbatman  OFFLINE  

xbatman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 24, 2006 - 12:06 pm

Does anyone have any experience with a Canon Powershot SD800 IS? I'm looking for a digital for the 1st time, so any input on this model would be greatly appreciated!:D

#42 mrn8  OFFLINE  

mrn8

Geekus Maximus

• 9,838 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 25, 2006 - 6:23 am

I've done my research and only want the Canon PowerShot SD700 IS!

Heres hoping its on sale on BF!!!

Not sure what price point you are hoping for, but Amazon has it on sale for $312.99 w/free shipping right now.

http://www.amazon.co...ie=UTF8&s=photo

#43 j-bo  OFFLINE  

j-bo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 27, 2006 - 1:20 pm

Also be on the lookout for Sony's digital SLR this season

Why?

For all those wondering about digicams... the best and ONLY reliable and fair place with loads of info is: http://www.dpreview.com

Consumer reports is terrible with digicams/vidcam's and the like. Go to the above and do your own research.

Quality wins out when choosing a digicam. Canon/Nikon.. winners, with Canon my preference.

MP isn't everything either. So if you see a low priced 7mp and a Canon or similar brand at "only" 5mp, you probably get better photo's and more for your buck with the Canon.

#44 ksteigert  OFFLINE  

ksteigert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 28, 2006 - 4:43 am

Why?

Because she was looking for an SLR that she could use her Minolta lenses with.

I agree dpreview is an incredible site!

#45 VTmommy  OFFLINE  

VTmommy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 31, 2006 - 12:39 am

do you think we will see any 'really cheap' digital cameras (good for kids)? i am looking for a 9 year old so around $40 would be good

I'll be looking for one of these for my almost 7 year old as well. FP is too young for her, she picks up my camera and uses it sometimes. Last year, we bought one for her at TRU (about $50-60 I think) and it was HORRIBLE! The menus kept coming up in Japanese or something we sure couldn't read and it wouldn't save pictures to the card. Total disaster, so we got a refund and bought a couple packs of single-use film cameras for her to use. But she definately wants a digital and we would like this to be one of her "big gifts"...we were planning on spending up to $75-80.

#46 backpacktwc  OFFLINE  

backpacktwc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 31, 2006 - 3:00 am

I too will be looking in the $80-$100 range. I had a $500 cameral previously, until my youngest (3 at the time) took the camera into the woods and ripped it apart. I haven't had one in 2 years, and miss one. We had to borrow one for our last vacation. :cheesy:

#47 tessies  OFFLINE  

tessies

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 2, 2006 - 4:55 am

I have decided to get my son a camcorder for Christmas and on overstock.com they have this one for $135. Does anyone know anything about it? Is this kind easy to work? How is the quality? Can videos be downloaded to the computer? :eek:

#48 snickstx  OFFLINE  

snickstx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 2, 2006 - 11:04 am

Does any body know anything about the Casio 7MP on page 38 of the Sears ad for $169.99? It appears the ad is referring to the Casio EX-S770 but does not specify a model number and the MP count is a little off. Plus, it shows $60 off in the text but the MSRP is $350 per Casio, that math don't werk rite. I could'nt find the product number or a similar camera by Casio on the Sears website.

If it is, I'll probably go after that. I looked at the 5MP version at WM last night and really liked it, they wanted $230 for theirs. I'm not an avid photographer, just kids stuff, so compact and user friendly are real selling points for me. Not saying that quality isn't important. With that said, how does Casio stand-up?

Oh, http://www.dpreview....casioexs770.asp
and, http://www.digitalca... exilim ex s770

#49 udratherbme  OFFLINE  

udratherbme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 2, 2006 - 1:31 pm

check amazon they ususally have good reviews

#50 sweetheart76pa  OFFLINE  

sweetheart76pa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 2, 2006 - 7:40 pm

what are the chances of seeing the Canon EOS Digital Rebel 350D on sale BF? The cheapest I've found the kit is $672... just wondering if I should buy it now or wait till BF with hopes that someone will have it cheaper

#51 shopping mom  OFFLINE  

shopping mom

• 2,545 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 2, 2006 - 10:56 pm

So far there a few cameras on sale for BF which one is the best deal for the money?

#52 BEE4  OFFLINE  

BEE4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 10:44 am

I am also looking for a digital camera (my first one). I really have my eye on Sony DSC-T1. I have some survey's money and BBB stashed up for it and hoping that it is gonna go down on BF. Any thoughts on that camera?

#53 BunniesBunniesBunnies!  OFFLINE  

BunniesBunniesBunnies!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 11:21 am

The Canon S3 is on sale right now at Walmart for $349. Think it'll go any lower than that on BF? Or should I jump on that deal?

#54 backpacktwc  OFFLINE  

backpacktwc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 3, 2006 - 9:28 pm

I've got about $150 to spend, does anyone have any recommendations on a decent camera for that price? I had a nice $400 camera, until my son took it outside and left it in the rain. I borrowed a cheapy for a vacation, that was 2 megapixels less, and to tell the truth, I couldn't tell the difference in the picture quality. The only difference seemed to be the flash range, and the zoom. Any suggestions?

#55 mystikal1  OFFLINE  

mystikal1

Let the Force of GD Lead You

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 4, 2006 - 3:36 am

i was in a similar situation until i got the Maxxum 5D last year.
great entry level digital slr and all my AF lenses work just fine.

you should also look into the Maxxum 7D

Thanks I can't decide between the 2 :eyepoppin

#56 BEE4  OFFLINE  

BEE4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 4, 2006 - 11:50 am

Help! I am looking at this Sony - Cyber-shot 7.2MP Digital Camera DSC-T10. Best buy has it for 399.99 in store and 359.99 on line(store will match their own website). Well I went to BB yesterday and associate showed me this open box model DSC -T9 6.0MP for 299.99 plus $75 BB GC. That model is already discontinued. I don't know what to do. Did anyone have experience with open box merchandise? Should I be sceptical getting the open box. They are stating that there is nothing wrong with these. Thank you in advance. BB on line dropped DSC-T10 regural price to 349.99 and was on sale for 314.99. I definetly will be keeping eye on it.

#57 Bestbuy7  OFFLINE  

Bestbuy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 6, 2006 - 2:51 pm

Help! I am looking at this Sony - Cyber-shot 7.2MP Digital Camera DSC-T10. Best buy has it for 399.99 in store and 359.99 on line(store will match their own website). Well I went to BB yesterday and associate showed me this open box model DSC -T9 6.0MP for 299.99 plus $75 BB GC. That model is already discontinued. I don't know what to do. Did anyone have experience with open box merchandise? Should I be sceptical getting the open box. They are stating that there is nothing wrong with these. Thank you in advance.

Sony - Cyber-shot 7.2MP Digital Camera DSC-T10 you should find at any store for $359.99 or below due to its recent price cut.

#58 akcyr  OFFLINE  

akcyr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 8, 2006 - 6:25 am

The Best Buy ad shows the Canon SD600 for $219.00. Right now that camera is selling at Costco for $209.99. Why wait in line??

#59 Spotted1  OFFLINE  

Spotted1

Queen of a pink castle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 8, 2006 - 8:07 am

The Best Buy Ad list says there's a Kodak Easyshare 7.1mp Cam with 10x zoom for $189.99 ... but the picture of the ad says its a 6.1mp?

#60 acs0427  OFFLINE  

acs0427

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 8, 2006 - 8:16 am

I was so disappointed to see the Best Buy ads, with around $100 in gift cards/bbb I was totally hoping to see a Canon A540 or A620 at Best Buy so I could use the gc. I guess I will hope someone else comes out with an excellent price so I can price match.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users