Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 22,171 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 21, 2006 - 7:54 am

This is the official thread for Black Friday related discussion of digital cameras, regardless of if the items are actually in ads or not.

This post will be updated with information about digital cameras that appear in Black Friday ads as they are released.

As this thread will likely get very long, if you are responding to a specific question or comment, please quote that post to keep the thread easy to follow.

If you are looking for a deal before Black Friday on a specific digital camera, post in our Deal Finder Service board and others can help you out.

If you are looking for gift suggestions, please post in our GottaDeal Gift Finder board.

Threads posted about digital cameras in the Black Friday Discussion forum will likely be merged into this forum, so to help out the admins and mods, please keep all discussion in this thread.

#2 BunniesBunniesBunnies!  OFFLINE  

BunniesBunniesBunnies!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 10:33 am

Do you think we could see either the Canon S2 or S3 models going on sale on BF? Even though I just bought a camera last BF(Which I still LOVE..), I'm thinking about upgrading again and looking at these models in particular.

#3 flea  OFFLINE  

flea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 10:39 am

I have the S2 and I absolutely love it. :)

#4 BunniesBunniesBunnies!  OFFLINE  

BunniesBunniesBunnies!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 10:40 am

I have the S2 and I absolutely love it.

I've been reading reviews and looking at images on Amazon and I think I would LOVE this camera, as well. Right now I have a Kodak C360(which I got at BB last BF) and it's great, but I think I could do a WHOLE lot more with this camera.

#5 mrn8  OFFLINE  

mrn8

Geekus Maximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,838 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 11:51 am

The Canon S2 should be getting a lot cheaper very soon. It's discontinued, now, so watch for clearances on the camera. I wouldn't hesitate to pick that camera up, especially if I found it in the $200 range.

#6 BunniesBunniesBunnies!  OFFLINE  

BunniesBunniesBunnies!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 11:56 am

The Canon S2 should be getting a lot cheaper very soon. It's discontinued, now, so watch for clearances on the camera. I wouldn't hesitate to pick that camera up, especially if I found it in the $200 range.

Is it really?! When should I start looking for it? & Which stores sell it?

So if it's discontinued.. what's coming out next? Will the S3 still be available?

#7 mrn8  OFFLINE  

mrn8

Geekus Maximus

• 9,838 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 12:08 pm

The S3 replaced the S2. They are still selling both, but Canon is no longer producing the S2. Watch the GottaDeal Digital Camera Deals page. Also, watch Dell, Amazon.com, Buy.com and take a peek into the retail stores. You can compare prices here: http://gottadeal.pri...search=Canon S2

#8 BFQueenofNY  OFFLINE  

BFQueenofNY

slave to clearance signs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 1:36 pm

I've been looking for a new camera since I have no clue what my son did with the one I had (didn't like it much anyway to tell the truth) I really don't want to spend over $200 though. I am saving my best buy bucks though

#9 mystikal1  OFFLINE  

mystikal1

Let the Force of GD Lead You

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 1:40 pm

I am looking for a Minolta Digital SLR Camera only because I have several AF lenses for my regular Minolta SLR. Any suggestions ?

#10 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 2:08 pm

$200 range would be a major hot deal.

I remember when it was first released and $350 was considered a hot deal.

#11 BabyFu18  OFFLINE  

BabyFu18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 3:19 pm

I hoping for the Canon S2 or S3 to go onsale also, I really want a new digital camera but I can't see spending more than $200 on one. I've noticed that a couple stores that used to sell the S2 no longer have it, it didn't go onsale either, it was there one day and then the next it was taken off the display so now all I see is the S3 and newer models.

#12 mrn8  OFFLINE  

mrn8

Geekus Maximus

• 9,838 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 3:50 pm

I'm not holding my breath for that, but the A530 is now at about half price of when it came out, so I guess it could happen.

#13 drunkmoose  OFFLINE  

drunkmoose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 5:13 pm

I am looking for a Minolta Digital SLR Camera only because I have several AF lenses for my regular Minolta SLR. Any suggestions ?

i was in a similar situation until i got the Maxxum 5D last year.
great entry level digital slr and all my AF lenses work just fine.

you should also look into the Maxxum 7D

#14 BunniesBunniesBunnies!  OFFLINE  

BunniesBunniesBunnies!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 7:58 pm

Went to Target/Best Buy this evening to see if they carried the Canon S2 or S3. Target carries neither.. and Best Buy only carries the S3 at a price of $399.

#15 mom_of2boyz  OFFLINE  

mom_of2boyz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 2:24 am

Do you think we could see either the Canon S2 or S3 models going on sale on BF? Even though I just bought a camera last BF(Which I still LOVE..), I'm thinking about upgrading again and looking at these models in particular.

Walmart just redid the camera displays, and the S2 was discontinued and taken off display, but ask if they still have any in stock. There is really no where to put the cameras that were taken off the display. Our store still has 3 left, they are in the back room, but the price hasn't dropped yet. The price changes should come down soon.

#16 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 7,152 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 6:07 am

Okay so if you had to choose between these cameras - which one would you pick? I have a gift card to an online store and these cameras are within my price range. I would just be using it for everyday stuff to replace my 35mm camera. Canon PowerShot A530 camera Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S600 camera Fujifilm FinePix A500 camera or Nikon Coolpix L3 camera Anyone have any negative things to say about any of these? Thanks in advance!

#17 Bestbuy7  OFFLINE  

Bestbuy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 12:14 pm

Canon PowerShot A530 camera
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S600 camera
Fujifilm FinePix A500 camera or
Nikon Coolpix L3 camera

Anyone have any negative things to say about any of these? Thanks in advance!

People say that Canon and Nikon takes better quality pics .
Try pcmag.com for reviews on each camera.

#18 mrn8  OFFLINE  

mrn8

Geekus Maximus

• 9,838 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 12:24 pm

Okay so if you had to choose between these cameras - which one would you pick? I have a gift card to an online store and these cameras are within my price range. I would just be using it for everyday stuff to replace my 35mm camera.

Canon PowerShot A530 camera
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S600 camera
Fujifilm FinePix A500 camera or
Nikon Coolpix L3 camera

Anyone have any negative things to say about any of these? Thanks in advance!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S600 - Expensive accessories and proprietary memory make all Sony cameras lose a little value, IMO.

Fujifilm FinePix A500 - Reviews show that the focus time is very slow, causing lag in the time until you can take your picture.

#19 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 7,152 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 12:36 pm

Knew I could count of y'all to help me out! Thanks!

#20 breakfree  OFFLINE  

breakfree

• PipPipPip
  • 3 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 12:37 pm

Will this thread include information about VIDEO CAMERAS too? I don't even know if they are digital, but I am really looking forward to get a video camera this November!

#21 mrn8  OFFLINE  

mrn8

Geekus Maximus

• 9,838 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 1:06 pm

Will this thread include information about VIDEO CAMERAS too? I don't even know if they are digital, but I am really looking forward to get a video camera this November!

Yes, digital camcorder discussion will go in this thread as well.

:2welcome: to GottaDeal!

#22 mimiman76  OFFLINE  

mimiman76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 3:36 pm

I've done my research and only want the Canon PowerShot SD700 IS! Heres hoping its on sale on BF!!!

#23 tlm2121  OFFLINE  

tlm2121

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 19, 2006 - 4:39 pm

do you think we will see any 'really cheap' digital cameras (good for kids)? i am looking for a 9 year old so around $40 would be good

#24 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 19, 2006 - 9:56 pm

I've done my research and only want the Canon PowerShot SD700 IS!

Heres hoping its on sale on BF!!!

Or you can buy it now for $301 with free shipping :groovin:

#25 DebbieJordan  OFFLINE  

DebbieJordan

• PipPipPip
  • 2 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 20, 2006 - 5:40 am

What was the price range on the Maxxum that you bought last year? I have done a lot of research on digital SLR's and am really hoping for a good deal to pop up on one on BF so I can make the transition from film to digital.

#26 ssf  OFFLINE  

ssf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 20, 2006 - 12:08 pm

I was wondering if this thread would include digital frames (I know it's not a camera, but I know whenever I try getting info on these they are usually in the digital camera section.) thanks..:)

#27 mimiman76  OFFLINE  

mimiman76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 20, 2006 - 12:38 pm

Or you can buy it now for $301 with free shipping :groovin:

or I could BUY IT HERE for $223.97, but i'm looking for it to be EVEN CHEAPER!!!

#28 FrugalFreak  OFFLINE  

FrugalFreak

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 20, 2006 - 8:26 pm

I plan on buying a Canon powershot or Kodak easyshare camera. both of those where top rated in consumers reports. what digicameras do ya'll recommend that has a value price but with decent ISO of 600 or more,use AA batteries, at least 5.0 and at least 4x or 5x optical zoom under 200? looking for a Consumers Reports "Recommended Best Buy" camera

#29 4xmom  OFFLINE  

4xmom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 21, 2006 - 5:22 am

do you think we will see any 'really cheap' digital cameras (good for kids)? i am looking for a 9 year old so around $40 would be good

I, too, am looking for something that a kid can use. I don't like the Fisher-Price ones, they are too young.

#30 BigNate  OFFLINE  

BigNate

Ubermeister

• 4,952 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 21, 2006 - 8:23 am

How about $204? **Link deleted** Rossman just linked to their reseller ratings in the online hot deals section and let's just say they're shady. Sorry about that post!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users