Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday TV & HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#61 BunniesBunniesBunnies!  OFFLINE  

BunniesBunniesBunnies!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 11:21 am

Not that I know of... they're called "door busters".

Last year BestBuy.com slipped and had some of their doorbusters online. That's how I got the Kodak C360 which was a doorbuster. However, afterwards they went back and cancelled orders. I got lucky though and mine went through.

#62 mystikal1  OFFLINE  

mystikal1

Let the Force of GD Lead You

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 1:54 pm

How good is the ILO Brand ? I read some negative feedback on them but I can't believe that Wal-mart would continue to sell them if they are no good.

#63 SSLeGeNdArYbRoLi  OFFLINE  

SSLeGeNdArYbRoLi

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 4:05 pm

Uh... not to brag, but I keep seeing better and better TVs around. After awhile, I'm locked on one at the moment.

Mitsubishi 57" 1080P totalling about 2500 and more if I buy warranty.
http://www.mitsubish...ls.html?cid=382

Yeah... I'm crazy :cheesy:

I just hope it's onsale somewhere, if not I'll buy it online for that price there. Mitsu brand is actually better than Samsung, which was my previous locked targeted.

*crosses fingers for a deal to be available*

#64 tmkuroda  OFFLINE  

tmkuroda

Laptop Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 4:59 am

Wal-Mart will have plenty of Funai-made TVs for this Black Friday season.

ok... But are they any good?
Tina

#65 robflanker  OFFLINE  

robflanker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 5:37 am

I really hope the bigger LCD/Plasma TVs get discounted this BF as I'm hoping for a 30-42 inch HDTV but I have a sinking feeling its going to be the 20 inch size ones that get pushed heavily :( Here's to hoping tho

#66 jamieva  OFFLINE  

jamieva

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 6:01 am

Well like others I am looking for an LCD or Plamsa this Xmas. Hoping for a good deal on a 42" for our living room. We still have a 27" 11 year old Maganvox in there. Time to move up in the world :D

#67 mmatter  OFFLINE  

mmatter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 6:50 am

I am looking for a Samsung LCD this year. Compared all of the LCD TVs and Plasmas at CC and BB and the Samsung just stands out so much in picture and clarity. I am hoping they discount them a bit to get them close to $1000. The 32" or 40" would be fine and a smaller 15"-20" for my bedroom would complete the set. I hope they have some good deals. And I will be out by 8 p.m. Thanksgiving night if necessary to get what we want. Did the 10:30 p.m. last year and was about 25th in line. Got my $150 computers and will succeed in the TV's as well!!

#68 akchow84  OFFLINE  

akchow84

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 3:13 pm

Frys Electronics had the Mitsubishi 62627 1080p (62 in) on sale for $1500 for colombus day weekend. I wonder how low they (or anyone else for that matter) will go on BF... I'm kicking myself because I did not purchase that TV when it was on sale, the day after the sale it went back up to $2200! Shopping around online ive seen 55+ in 1080p televisions, decent ones, as low as $1600 plus shipping and tax. I'm aiming for a sub-$1500 DLP 55+in 1080p, either Samsung or Mitsubishi, wish me luck!

#69 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 9:10 pm

Well like others I am looking for an LCD or Plamsa this Xmas. Hoping for a good deal on a 42" for our living room.

We still have a 27" 11 year old Maganvox in there. Time to move up in the world :D

Are you willing to consider DLP? Amazon.com has an awesome deal on Samsung's highly rated 42" and 46" models.

I am looking for a Samsung LCD this year. Compared all of the LCD TVs and Plasmas at CC and BB and the Samsung just stands out so much in picture and clarity. I am hoping they discount them a bit to get them close to $1000. The 32" or 40" would be fine and a smaller 15"-20" for my bedroom would complete the set. I hope they have some good deals.

I doubt you'll see those discounted. If you're on BB's mailing list they mail 10-12% coupons every few months. Have you also considered Westinghouse? Yes it's a no name brand but it's worth looking into if price is important. I will agree that the Samsung LCD's are incredibly beautiful.

I'm aiming for a sub-$1500 DLP 55+in 1080p, either Samsung or Mitsubishi, wish me luck!

Those are great TV's and you really did your research. I almost bought a Mitsubishi DLP until I got a deal I couldn't resist on a Toshiba DLP.

#70 Guest_christmastrojan_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_christmastrojan_*
  • Member since --

Posted Oct 17, 2006 - 11:42 pm

Hey All, I am a fairly new college grad. I'm looking to get an LCD HDTV. I would be happy with something 23 inches and above. I'm looking to spend under $750. Can you guys recommend anything? I just want something to enjoy movies on and mostly for watching college and nfl football, and basketball. Can anyone actually tell the difference b/w 780p and 1080p? Thanks for the help guys :) Much appreciated!!:D Fight On!!

#71 foolsjoker  OFFLINE  

foolsjoker

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 11:10 am

The difference between 720p and 1080p is quite a bit actually. I think you would be happy with either, but if you actually have something to compare them to, the 1080p is amazing. :eek:

#72 Guest_christmastrojan_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_christmastrojan_*
  • Member since --

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 11:37 am

I did a little research and it seems I won't be able to get a 1080p without paying over 1000 :no:

#73 akchow84  OFFLINE  

akchow84

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 11:51 am

Hey All,

I am a fairly new college grad. I'm looking to get an LCD HDTV. I would be happy with something 23 inches and above. I'm looking to spend under $750.

Can you guys recommend anything?

I just want something to enjoy movies on and mostly for watching college and nfl football, and basketball. Can anyone actually tell the difference b/w 780p and 1080p?

Thanks for the help guys :) Much appreciated!!:D

Fight On!!

Here is a blurb I found on soundandvisionmag.com about 720p vs 1080p

1080p VS. 720p I was curious to see how 1080p stacked up against its predecessor, so I compared the WD-52627 side by side with a 50-inch 720p DLP set we had on hand. After adjusting the two for optimum image quality and similar brightness, I fed them the same sources via an HDMI distribution amplifier.

Watching the Marianne Faithfull concert, at first I found it difficult to see any difference in sharpness. Certain edges appeared just a bit sharper on the Mitsubishi, though it was extremely close. But on a Discovery HD airing of The Science of Lance Armstrong, the difference was more obvious. The tiny words used in a computer illustration of a bike were clearly sharper on the 1080p screen. Stubble-covered heads and faces, finely woven mesh shoes, and even the glitter under the paint on the bike frames were extremely sharp on the Mitsubishi and somewhat less so on the 720p TV. Another Discovery Channel show, about the FA-18 fighter, included a close-up of a dummy bomb assembly with tiny words of “warning” whose edges were more distinct on the 1080p display.

Across the board, though, the difference wasn’t dramatic and often depended on program material — less critical viewers would have to look hard to see it even in side-by-side comparisons. It was definitely there, however, and was evident in resolution test patterns, which showed noticably more detail than on any 720p DLP set I’ve tested. The Mitsubishi still fell short of fully resolving a 1080i signal, but I expected that. The screens in all rear-projection HDTVs enhance brightness but sacrifice some resolution to do it, and a 52-inch screen just won’t allow the full potential of the chip to shine through. I expect larger 1080p DLP sets to perform much better on this test.

Also, with regard to 1080p televisions under $1000, you *may* be able to get one with a good sale, as long as you are not expecting a 55in+ behemoth. If your budget is firm at $1000, you may be happier with a larger, 720p set for now.

Good luck!

#74 Mara  OFFLINE  

Mara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 1:01 pm

Here is a blurb I found on soundandvisionmag.com about 720p vs 1080p

Also, with regard to 1080p televisions under $1000, you *may* be able to get one with a good sale, as long as you are not expecting a 55in+ behemoth. If your budget is firm at $1000, you may be happier with a larger, 720p set for now.

Good luck!

ok how about hoping for a 1080p in the 40 - 50inch range with a budget of $1500 - $1800? More realistic thats hubbys hope and dream. A GOOD one though not a funky off brand lol cause this is his last TV for a while damnit :fryingpan :wife:

Mara

#75 pparker  OFFLINE  

pparker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 2:55 pm

Anyone heard of anything yet? It's early - I know.

#76 mimiman76  OFFLINE  

mimiman76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 3:34 pm

Read the blurb above and its total CRAP...the reviewer used the "look" of it as his form of measurement...i'll rely on true review sites

Mmatter.....Samsungs are usually aesthetically pleasing to lure people into buying their sets, however some are just that good, so do your research...

Once again folks, please check out the following review sites:
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com
http://reviews.cnet....25.html?tag=dir

#77 Gurnee Al  OFFLINE  

Gurnee Al

Man's Best Friend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 3:54 pm

Wait for BF, but even on sale, a 40 or 42 inch LCD is going to be a bit expensive. I'm going after a 37 or 40 inch.

#78 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 4:43 pm

pparker,

Are you asking if there are any current deals or BF?

#79 Cheryll  OFFLINE  

Cheryll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 4:54 pm

Hey EliteABombAZ where is ur WM? Those are killer prices(excuse the pun)

#80 Cheryll  OFFLINE  

Cheryll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 5:00 pm

This is a great place to learn not knowing the difference between an LCD or Plasma or DLP but am getting an education. Thanks guys!

#81 akchow84  OFFLINE  

akchow84

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 6:24 pm

Read the blurb above and its total CRAP...the reviewer used the "look" of it as his form of measurement...i'll rely on true review sites

Mmatter.....Samsungs are usually aesthetically pleasing to lure people into buying their sets, however some are just that good, so do your research...

Once again folks, please check out the following review sites:
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com
http://reviews.cnet....25.html?tag=dir

First of all, it was asked if anyone could actually tell the difference between 1080p and 720p, so I pointed him to a small portion of a review that discussed what you would see when comparing the two. It's hard for most people to understand a very technical review and this one points out what the average person would notice, in simple language. If you want some fairly indepth information about almost any HDTV check out www.avsforum.com, a great place for researching every aspect of an audio/video purchase.

As for a 1080p in the $1500 - $1800 range, you should not have a problem finding one in the size you are looking for if you are ok with a DLP tv. You can't hang them on the wall, but the price/quality ratio is great, and you can definately find something in the 40-50in range for that price. Like I said earlier, i found the Mitsubishi 62627, 62 in display for $1500 at Fry's Electronics this last Columbus Day weekend, and I almost bought the Samsung that was posted on the front page of this website ( Samsung HL-S5687W 56" 1080p DLP HDTV - $1,999.99 Shipped ). Those are both much larger than what are you are looking for and are close to the upper range of your budget. To be honest, I am looking into buying a DLP display, so I cannot give you pricing information for plasma or LCD displays, but in the 40-50 in range, if you dont want a DLP, a plasma display is your best bet.

#82 tmkuroda  OFFLINE  

tmkuroda

Laptop Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 19, 2006 - 6:08 am

Before I started reading I was going to be happy with a larger LCD..Now you all have me thinking and I hate/love that:) Gets me in trouble ALL the time. The thing I know is that I can not afford an 1080p at this time but would like to have one in the future. So...knowing that I am even more perplexed. This is what is going through my head and please correct me if I am wrong because it would make me make up my mind which to buy. For me MY pros and cons are: LCD PROS: Longer lasting, Prices are sometimes better then plasma CONS: Black color not as black, Veiwing angles are not as great. PLASMA PROS: Better picture quality, better viewing angles CONS: Picture burn in (there are times I pause my TIVO for hours), shorter life. Now with that said I am still tossed up on which to get. I am really worried about picture burn in and life span of the TV. On the other hand I am worried about the veiwing angle of the LCD but not so much about the black. I know I can get both types with better everything but I think these will not be a BF special. Should I just get the plasma and turn off the TV and pause the TIVO for possible long pausing times and save up to buy an 1080p in a few years or go with the LCD and hope that the viewing angles do not affect me? See.. I was going to be a happy camper just getting a larger LCD but now I am confused. Last year you all helped me make my laptop buying decisions and I am so greatful!!! Tina

#83 mimiman76  OFFLINE  

mimiman76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 19, 2006 - 8:00 am

For me MY pros and cons are:
LCD
PROS: Longer lasting, Prices are sometimes better then plasma
CONS: Black color not as black, Veiwing angles are not as great.

PLASMA
PROS: Better picture quality, better viewing angles
CONS: Picture burn in (there are times I pause my TIVO for hours), shorter life.

Plasma vs LCD
http://www.plasmatvb...sma-vs-lcd.html

Plasma vs DLP
http://www.plasmatvb...vsplasmatv.html

LCD vs DLP
http://www.plasmatvb....com/lcdtv.html

#84 kbrain2929  OFFLINE  

kbrain2929

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 19, 2006 - 8:05 am

The difference between 720p and 1080p is quite a bit actually. I think you would be happy with either, but if you actually have something to compare them to, the 1080p is amazing. :eek:

I've got a brand new 1080P 65" plasma. It is amazing. Alot of people don't think they can afford it, but here in Louisville, Ky, you can put them on payment plans. So it makes it alot easier to buy high dollar electronics.
Wx4svr

( 73 = Bye in HAM Radio Lingo & WX4SVR is my callsign)

#85 tmkuroda  OFFLINE  

tmkuroda

Laptop Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 19, 2006 - 8:15 am

Plasma vs LCD
http://www.plasmatvb...sma-vs-lcd.html

Plasma vs DLP
http://www.plasmatvb...vsplasmatv.html

LCD vs DLP
http://www.plasmatvb....com/lcdtv.html

This is what I read that made me even more confused:)
Tina

#86 akchow84  OFFLINE  

akchow84

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 19, 2006 - 2:48 pm

Do you need an LCD or Plasma? If you really want the flat panel then I would go with a plasma. It is a better practice to turn off your TV when you pause it and go away for hours at a time anyways (save electricity!), but the new plasma televisions have anti-burn-in features to help precent it, just try to make a habit of turning it off when you go away for a long time. The newer plasma televisions also have good life spans, so all that is left is picture quality and size constraints. Basically, if you want a television >40in you will get the most bang for your buck with a plasma display. A plasma display also has the benefit of a wider viewing angle, as you have pointed out, which seems to be important to you. I, personally, would go for a plasma display if I did not have room for a DLP. If you can live with a 19inch or so deep television, I would recomend a DLP display beacuse you are getting most of the benefits from every technology, and it will cost you less. If you are very worried about burnin, this is the TV to go with as well. Whatever you get, make sure to do some research first--cnet.com has great reviews and avsforum.com has many many posts about almost any television. Just read a little and you will get a feel for what is good quality out there.

#87 tmkuroda  OFFLINE  

tmkuroda

Laptop Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 19, 2006 - 3:18 pm

Can you tell I just wanted someone to tell me what to get? LOL Ok Plasma it is then. I want over 32"...Now bring on the ADS! Tina

#88 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 19, 2006 - 9:59 pm

In the 32" - 42" range I actually prefer LCD's over Plasma.

#89 tmkuroda  OFFLINE  

tmkuroda

Laptop Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 20, 2006 - 5:55 am

In the 32" - 42" range I actually prefer LCD's over Plasma.

Oh Ross....How did I KNOW you were going to do this to me:D Ok give me reasons why. I pretty much did most of my BF shopping on your advice last year and am still pleased with all my purchases.
I KNEW that was TOO easy! :g_laughin

Tina

#90 dissident  OFFLINE  

dissident

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 20, 2006 - 1:55 pm

when I went to wal mart and stared at the televisions for a while I found the LCD to be of superior picture quality of plasma. I didn't see a huge difference between brands. Wal mart has a good 2 year warranty that they sell for only 58 dollars (at least online) so that's nice too.

you can already find 32 inchers for under $700 in various places

http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=4956139

http://www.tigerdire...&CMP=EMC-NEXTAG

Rumor has it they'll be one for $499.99.. only a rumor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users