Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday TV & HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#31 Mara  OFFLINE  

Mara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 6:43 pm

720p or the awesome 1080p?

oh if the fanatics pay enough on ebay for PS3's hubby may have a 1080p under the tree :) I'm waiting on the adds. I'm praying the military PX gets something good since then its tax free and first ones in the door (I have been the last 2 years ) get a 10% off and one item up to $250 coupon. Then it would be SUPER SWEET

Mara

#32 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 7:36 pm

25" to 27" is a great size and offers the most bang for your buck. However it still helps if you can offer us a budget? How much are you comfortable spending on this new TV?

#33 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 7:39 pm

oh if the fanatics pay enough on ebay for PS3's hubby may have a 1080p under the tree :) I'm waiting on the adds. I'm praying the military PX gets something good since then its tax free and first ones in the door (I have been the last 2 years ) get a 10% off and one item up to $250 coupon. Then it would be SUPER SWEET

Mara

A Sony 1080p SXRD or LCD + PS3 would be awesome but also $$$$$$$$$$$

#34 huseboy  OFFLINE  

huseboy

Husegirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 8:01 pm

Not sure what they run? I just want a tv. :)

#35 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 8:06 pm

If you can afford $230 just go to BJ's, Sam's Club or CostCo and buy one tomorrow :)

#36 huseboy  OFFLINE  

huseboy

Husegirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 8:19 pm

I will go check it. You know the only reason I have my laptop is because of the advise I got here. I would not have given them a second look because I do not know anything about electronics. I knew I was asking the right people. Thx again.

#37 mugs  OFFLINE  

mugs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 8:27 pm

I bought a Sharp 27" flat tube TV at Costco for $230, but unfortunately I can't find the model number (they must put it on the back or something...). It's great though, very nice picture. Costco generally doesn't stock poor quality products, so you know you're getting something decent if you buy there.

#38 huseboy  OFFLINE  

huseboy

Husegirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 8:49 pm

We dont have those stores here around me but they do about 45 min. away. I was checking on website to get a better idea. I have never slept without a tv so the last few nites have not been good. I am considering the sofa tonite. My DS thinks there is a mouse in my room. Great it is too late to call someone to come. I may sleep in the truck. haha :) I will be on it in the morning because I want it gone, as in yesterday. :)

#39 josetann  OFFLINE  

josetann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 9:08 pm

Do you have any outlet or overstock stores around? There's one nearby in Nashville, it's called Essex, and it's a true outlet/overstock kind of place. They get stuff by the truckload, closeouts and returns, and throw it all out in their store area for you to go through. Stuff like TVs are turned on so you can see how well they work, might have a scratch, might have a gash in the side, but if the picture's good who cares? I can't remember the exact size, but I think it was a 35" HDTV I got there for under $100, maybe $150 (picked up three). Only one worked, I should have stuck with it, the other two had cracked boards, but that's beside the point. The screen edges showed a little green, but a simple fix is to put a magnet there and it works great then. So for $100-ish, I got a 35" HDTV that works great (and made my brother really happy as he's the new proud owner of it). Now, most deals aren't that great, but still.... I also wouldn't count out looking in the classifieds. More and more people are upgrading to HDTV, and they got to get rid of their (perfectly fine but non-HD) other TV. Some people ask way too much for their old junk, but other people price it low enough to just get it the heck out of their way. Just know what to look for first so know what questions to ask (brand, how old, what inputs, just whatever's important to you). And do double-check prices at nearby stores, no need to pay nearly the same price as a brand-new set with a warranty.

#40 huseboy  OFFLINE  

huseboy

Husegirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 9:39 pm

Thx for the info, I dont recall having a store like that around but I will do some checking tomorrow and see what I find.

#41 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 10:01 pm

We dont have those stores here around me but they do about 45 min. away.

The best thing about buying from CostCo is their return policy. The web site isn't as accurate as they carry different products in the physical warehouse.

You can return anything anytime (except for computers which are limited to 6 months).

#42 stockmanjr  OFFLINE  

stockmanjr

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 12, 2006 - 10:08 pm

Walmart... 32" LCD, 480p, 1080i, not sure of brand, $588-$688 range... HUGE RUMOR... 3 friends who work at Walmart, 1 is an Assistant Manager.

That's not such great deal considering sam's and costco have had the vizio 32'' lcd which is 720p 1080i for $699.So that's a good deal if it's a name brand but not a good deal for a no name.

#43 dregerer  OFFLINE  

dregerer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 13, 2006 - 8:36 am

Here is my wishful thinking... This will get me to that BB line early. Panasonic TH 42PD60U - plasma TV - 42" for 899.99 Westinghouse LVM-42w2 for 999.99 Last year I bought the 32 inch Westinghouse LCD BB had on sale for 899 the week before bf. There was also a 12% off coupon that brought the price under 800. I was skeptical at first of the Westinghouse brand, but if you take your time and set it up correctly it works great. I don't regret it one bit. Owning a TV is like owning a boat. Every year you need one just a little bit bigger.

#44 foolsjoker  OFFLINE  

foolsjoker

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 13, 2006 - 10:31 am

thanks for all the info guys, any idea when adds will get scanned? This is my first BF. Glad to see the buzz on this site is supported by a good community. And thanks for the warm welcome :)

#45 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 13, 2006 - 10:44 am

thanks for all the info guys, any idea when adds will get scanned?

Answer: http://forums.gottad...ead.php?t=47266

#46 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 7,152 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 13, 2006 - 12:06 pm

My BB will hand out tickets for any item they have a limited quantity of. You might want to check with your local BB mgmt

#47 foolsjoker  OFFLINE  

foolsjoker

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 13, 2006 - 1:15 pm

what do u mean tickets? like so if they run out of stock u can get them later. Like an IOU for a TV at listed price?

#48 EliteABombAZ  OFFLINE  

EliteABombAZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 13, 2006 - 3:26 pm

That's not such great deal considering sam's and costco have had the vizio 32'' lcd which is 720p 1080i for $699.So that's a good deal if it's a name brand but not a good deal for a no name.

If it ends up being $588, then it is pretty good...

#49 kbrain2929  OFFLINE  

kbrain2929

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 13, 2006 - 8:13 pm

thanks for all the info guys, any idea when adds will get scanned? This is my first BF. Glad to see the buzz on this site is supported by a good community. And thanks for the warm welcome :)

Ok . . .Dumb Question . . . :razz: What exactly is an ad scan? This is only my 2nd BF so I'm still learning the ropes.

#50 H_Hancock  OFFLINE  

H_Hancock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 14, 2006 - 2:43 am

Ok . . .Dumb Question . . . :razz: What exactly is an ad scan? This is only my 2nd BF so I'm still learning the ropes.

An ad scan is just what the phrase implies...........it's a scan of the ad the particular retailer will have inserted into, usually, the Thanksgiving Day newspaper. This site, among others, manages to obtain copies of the retailers' ads before being "officially" released, scans them and posts them for your viewing pleasure....before their "official" release to the public.

If you look at the second post in this thread, by Marcster, you'll see a link for this:
* Official Black Friday ADS & SCANS Thread *

Go click on it and see what last year's ad scans looked like.

#51 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• 14,906 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 14, 2006 - 5:01 am

what do u mean tickets? like so if they run out of stock u can get them later. Like an IOU for a TV at listed price?

No, a ticket gives you the "opportunity" to buy a hot item at that price. They only have so many of these items per store... The closer you are to the front of the line, the more of a chance you'll have to get the ticket. That's why some some people start camping out a 2 pm on Wednesday.

Go here for a pic of one and a good explanation:
http://forums.gottad...ead.php?t=49435

#52 kbrain2929  OFFLINE  

kbrain2929

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 14, 2006 - 5:25 am

An ad scan is just what the phrase implies...........it's a scan of the ad the particular retailer will have inserted into, usually, the Thanksgiving Day newspaper. This site, among others, manages to obtain copies of the retailers' ads before being "officially" released, scans them and posts them for your viewing pleasure....before their "official" release to the public.

If you look at the second post in this thread, by Marcster, you'll see a link for this:
* Official Black Friday ADS & SCANS Thread *

Go click on it and see what last year's ad scans looked like.

Ohhh . . . :rolleyes: Ok, thanks alot. I get it now.

#53 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 3,440 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 14, 2006 - 6:22 am

Are these ticket items not available for ordering online on BF?

#54 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• 14,906 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 14, 2006 - 6:51 am

Are these ticket items not available for ordering online on BF?

Not that I know of... they're called "door busters". Posted Image

#55 laffnatu  OFFLINE  

laffnatu

• 4,223 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 14, 2006 - 6:53 am

Owning a TV is like owning a boat. Every year you need one just a little bit bigger.

:sidesplit This is so true. :lmao:

#56 mystikal1  OFFLINE  

mystikal1

Let the Force of GD Lead You

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 14, 2006 - 2:49 pm

Has anyone noticed wally world has been stocking alot more tv's lately, lcds and plasmas ?

#57 kdspark  OFFLINE  

kdspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 14, 2006 - 3:05 pm

Yes I actually noticed that yesterday. We have been shopping for a new 37 or42 and stopped there and they have a ton of the Ilo brand all of a sudden. D

#58 cireafan  OFFLINE  

cireafan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 14, 2006 - 7:55 pm

Wal-Mart will have plenty of Funai-made TVs for this Black Friday season.

#59 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 14, 2006 - 10:12 pm

Yes I actually noticed that yesterday. We have been shopping for a new 37 or42 and stopped there and they have a ton of the Ilo brand all of a sudden.
D

Walmart.com has carried the ilo brand for a while.

It's nice to see the stores stocking it.

#60 foolsjoker  OFFLINE  

foolsjoker

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 16, 2006 - 10:16 am

damn...getting ansy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users