>>> Official Black Friday DESKTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Wow, they look almost identical except for the RAM and HD. I'm going with Staples since I have an inside connection there and won't have to stand in line or worry about them being out of stock. I was also checking out that ATI X1600 at Best Buy for $99. Looks like a good price but was reading some bad reviews on Newegg about it heating up and locking up. So now I'm not so sure. :g_shrug:

Newegg Reviews on ATI Video Card

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll200/14-102-682-02.jpg

My cousin had that card up until recently when it just gave out. He played a lot of games for long hours so I believe that heat issue. Nothing an aftermarket heatsink/fan couldn't fix.

Looking at the Office Max Computer, it appears to match the "HP a1648x-b" bundle on their website. Their website simply lists the graphics for this system as "Integrated Graphics". Does anyone know any more about the integrated graphics included with the system, and whether the system can be upgraded with another video card? This seems to be standard now, but I know this wasn't the case in the past and don't want to get burned!

Thanks!

Looking at the Office Max Computer, it appears to match the "HP a1648x-b" bundle on their website. Their website simply lists the graphics for this system as "Integrated Graphics". Does anyone know any more about the integrated graphics included with the system, and whether the system can be upgraded with another video card? This seems to be standard now, but I know this wasn't the case in the past and don't want to get burned!

Thanks!

Good question and the answer is yes.

I Google'd that model number and here are the specs I found:

Processor: Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4200+ 2.2 GHz, 2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second), Socket AM2

Bus Speed: PC2-4200 MB/sec

Memory: 2 GB, Maximum 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB), 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM, *Actual available memory may be less

Video Graphics: Integrated graphics

Hard Drive: 300 GB SATA, 7200 rpm

Multimedia Drive: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive

Speakers: HP FLC 2.0 speakers

Network Card: Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface

Fax/Modem: 56K bps

Audio: Integrated High Definition audio, Realtek ALC 888 chipset, Supports up to 8 audio channels, Dolby Pro Logic II compatible

Keyboard: HP multimedia keyboard, Quebec Keyboard Kit (French Canada only), HP PS/2 scroller mouse

Chipset: GeForce 6150 LE

External Ports: (1)1394, (2) USB, (1) Headphone, (1) Line-in, (1) Microphone,(2) PS/2 (keyboard, mouse),(1) VGA, (1) LAN, (1) SPDIF out (coaxial), (3) PCI Three (Two available)

Communications: Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface speed 56K modemAlso Includes :

The a1648x-b desktop PC bundle (part number RK552AA) includes: a1648x Desktop PC, part number RK551AA, W19 19" LCD wide-screen monitor with no speakers

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2, Microsoft Service Pack 2

Bundled Software: Microsoft Works., Microsoft Money, Microsoft MSN Encarta 0Plus

PC Card Slots: (2) PCI Three, (1) PCI Express x16 One (One available)

Warranty: 1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty

Remember to buy a PCI Express video card not regular PCI or AGP.

Come on Office Depot!

The best deals for me would be from Staples and Office Max, which we have neither store here! PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPooooooooooooooooooooooey.

I haven't burned down the CompUSA list yet though, maybe they have something close to those offered.

I was hoping that DELL would send me a 35% off coupon again too. I can get EPP pricing, but that is usually more than a dell home sale with coupon, go figure.

Good question and the answer is yes.

I Google'd that model number and here are the specs I found:

Remember to buy a PCI Express video card not regular PCI or AGP.

Thanks for the info...this looks like the best deal of the year to me on the mid-high level computers!!! :yup:

I made a quick xls file that you can print off with the comparison. I didn't include stationcheifs pictures because of file size. It's a 2 page tabloid document that makes it really easy to see if printed. I work for a print controller company so I print everything, lol I even have the ads printed out, mostly in booklet form even.

I made a quick xls file that you can print off with the comparison. I didn't include stationcheifs pictures because of file size. It's a 2 page tabloid document that makes it really easy to see if printed. I work for a print controller company so I print everything, lol I even have the ads printed out, mostly in booklet form even.

Thank you Stationchief!!!!!!!!!!:cheesy:

Thank you TOmmy!!!!!!!!!:cheesy:

I'm most likely going to best buy for my first stop (aka wait in line) and I'm torn between the $190 eMachines PC and the $400 Compaq. The fact that the Compaq has XP Media Center (free upgrade to Vista home premium) is alone almost worth getting it. But it also has the exta 512mb memory, much larger, SATA hard drive, memory card reader integrated, etc, etc, really makes me want to buy that one. But then I think that I could literally get 2 eMachines desktops for the same price. What's everyone else looking to get?

It's not on their site.

The Lenovo ($499) is looking like my pc of choice on BF though. Of course, it depends on what the rebate is and if/what I have to subscribe too. I remember a LOT of places for the rebate you had to sign up for Vonage or something similar. Something I won't do.

EDIT: I must've been blind, I see this is for the Athlon chipped PC. I like the Intels better, so I'll keep hunting.

To MCE or not to MCE, that is my question. Either I get an XP home eMachines for $190, or I get one of the many ~$400 XP MCE desktops that will upgrade to Vista Home Premium instead of basic. Anyone else torn between the two? One minute I think I should spring for the extra $$$, the next I think it's not worth twice the price.

Hi all.........

I am looking for a little advice. My parents computer just crashed and burned (Stupid Windows ME :no: ) and I am looking to find them the best deal on BF. They basically just use the computer to surf the net and email......very basic functions. The computer they had was an HP and they did really like it (it is 7 years old), but the Windows ME was a serious pain in the butt!!

anyway, can anyone recommend a good solid computer, price range isn't really a huge concern, but I would love to find them the best computer for their money.:)

Thanks!

Tammy

Hi all.........

I am looking for a little advice. My parents computer just crashed and burned (Stupid Windows ME :no: ) and I am looking to find them the best deal on BF. They basically just use the computer to surf the net and email......very basic functions. The computer they had was an HP and they did really like it (it is 7 years old), but the Windows ME was a serious pain in the butt!!

anyway, can anyone recommend a good solid computer, price range isn't really a huge concern, but I would love to find them the best computer for their money.:)

Thanks!

Tammy

How much money do they want to spend? If you want to avoid the BF crowds, you can get a nice low-end Dell or HP computer for well under $500. If it's not critical to get the absolute lowest price, avoid the BF crowds and get something on-line. You can buy direct from Dell (@ dell.com) or HP (@ hpshopping.com). Both may have some special pricing as we get closer to X-Mas.

BTW, why did it take you a year to get your first post up?? Welcome!

Depends on what you are going to predominately use the PC for.

With VISTA, you are going to want a minimum of 1gb of RAM, so keep that in mind.

To MCE or not to MCE, that is my question. Either I get an XP home eMachines for $190, or I get one of the many ~$400 XP MCE desktops that will upgrade to Vista Home Premium instead of basic. Anyone else torn between the two? One minute I think I should spring for the extra $$$, the next I think it's not worth twice the price.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Price isn't really a concern, I think anything under $700-800 is fine, but I was just looking to find them the best deal for their money. BF crowds aren't a problem, I normally go BF shopping, so the crowds don't bother me :)

Anyway, thanks for your help. Can anyone tell me the major differences between the HP at Best Buy and the HP at Staples? Our closest BB is 30 miles away (which isn't a problem, if that is where the best deal is) , and we have a stapes here in our town.

Thanks!

Tammy

Depends on what you are going to predominately use the PC for.

With VISTA, you are going to want a minimum of 1gb of RAM, so keep that in mind.

I know, I've been doing the math. The pc's taht are about $400 have a gig of RAM, which is $50 for the estra 512mb right there. They also have much larger HD's some of which are SATA as well. All of this is what makes both of them such a hard decision. I think I'll go with the cheap one and wait to build a core duo machine once those drop in price.

Can someone briefly explain what the MCE is used for, sorry for the dumb question.:o

Yep, got it for my daughter, runs great, but she uses it for very minimal things.

Thanks! I was thinking of getting one for my brother, he only wants a desktop to surf the internet and read email. I still cant figure out what computer I'm going to get for me considering I need one tha will run minimal games like the sims 2, editing programs like adobe ps and have a ton of storage for my files.

Thanks! I was thinking of getting one for my brother, he only wants a desktop to surf the internet and read email. I still cant figure out what computer I'm going to get for me considering I need one tha will run minimal games like the sims 2, editing programs like adobe ps and have a ton of storage for my files.

You can go with any of the low end desktops and add a external hard drive if you need more srorage.

Looking for aNew Desk top for me....right now i have a 6yr old Dell something or other( lol)

we bought it brand new , and it has never really worked right, we actually had to have some work done on it about 2yrs after we bought it...so now i want to know what is the best PC For things like Online Money Management( banking) surfing emailing, and your general computer things and Digital Pictures im not big into games, my husband has a gaming computer for that...

so im looking for a bundle i imagine, IM not to computer savy i know how to get on it , Surf and Fix a few problems here and there...

but as for all the other stuff ie..GB, Hard Drive, mhz processores i have no clue...

any help in the right direction would be appreciated...

thanks

Can someone briefly explain what the MCE is used for, sorry for the dumb question.:o

MCE is Windows XP Media Center Edition. It's basically the same as windows XP, except it's set up with a "front end" (graphic interface that looks purty) that's easy for watching TV (if you have a TV tuner in the PC) and for watching movies, listening to music, viewing pictures, etc, etc. It's just Win XP that's more media friendly. The big thing about it for me is that right now, a Win XP home PC gets a free upgrade to Win Vista Home Basic. Win XP MCE upgrades to Win Vista Home Premium that has quite a bit more features.