>>> Official Black Friday DESKTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

I am looking for a desktop and was wondering what some of you thought might be the best desktop for sale regardless of price. Will be using the pc for just about everything but for playing games. Thats what my playstation is for. any input would be appriciated.

The Core 2 Duo processors are top of the line. Seems like a great deal with a 17" LCD monitor, and from the sound/looks of it it should have a DVD burner and XP Media Center Edition for the O.S. witrh that free upgrade to Vista. It'd be a whole different world from older celerons and ... Windows ME?! :eek: Yikes!

Does that computer have a free upgrade of

Vista? If it does I think that would seal the

deal for that computer! I figure this time we

would spend the money on a really good

computer so it will last longer than the cheap

ones! The computer I have right now was

only good for about a year than it turned to

crap! Thanks guys!

I am looking for a desktop and was wondering what some of you thought might be the best desktop for sale regardless of price. Will be using the pc for just about everything but for playing games. Thats what my playstation is for. any input would be appriciated.

When you say everything but games what do you mean? Do you mean Video Editing? Are you going to be hooking it up to a TV?

Does that computer have a free upgrade of

Vista? If it does I think that would seal the

deal for that computer! I figure this time we

would spend the money on a really good

computer so it will last longer than the cheap

ones! The computer I have right now was

only good for about a year than it turned to

crap! Thanks guys!

Heh! Wouldn't be surprised if it choked on Windows ME! :lmao:

That should have a free full upgrade to Windows Vista. All desktops and laptops bought from hereon that contain "Windows Media Center Edition 2005" will have a "coupon" good for a full version of the new OS when it's released next year. The other ones that have Windows XP Home will be good for a 50% off upgrade.

OK I just asked about the laptops now I need some info on the 2 desktops AMD (399) and the HP (699) does either of them have a PVR and or connection to hook up direct tv to them? Thanks

The Gateway has IEEE 1394 and an S-Video connector, but I dunno if that helps. You talkin' about something like a TV tuner to connect your DirecTV service to the laptop? What exactly do 'ya use to connect your PVR to something? :confused:

Heh! Wouldn't be surprised if it choked on Windows ME! :lmao:

That should have a free full upgrade to Windows Vista. All desktops and laptops bought from hereon that contain "Windows Media Center Edition 2005" will have a "coupon" good for a full version of the new OS when it's released next year. The other ones that have Windows XP Home will be good for a 50% off upgrade.

Correction.

Accordiing to Best Buy's and Circut City's website you get a free upgrade.

Windows XP Home Upgrades to Windows Vista Home Basic

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Upgrades to Windows Vista Home Premium

Windows XP Professional upgrades to Windows Vista Business

But the Manufacturers websites Vary a little.

Here are Best Buy and Circut City Websites with links to manufacturers websites regarding Vista upgrades.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=165275&c=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat88800050025&type=category

sorry, I mean surfing the net, messing around with digital pictures and maybe burning some dvd's from my camcorder.

Even the low end computers will do fine for what you are going to use it for. If you are going to be doing any video editing I would spend a little more money and get one that comes with Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Guest ladakn99

I have gotten word that the model for the E-Machine at BB is not the one all of us thought.

It is infact the T3522

Specs

Celeron 352 Processor

512 DDR Ram

100 GB Hard Drive

CD/DVD Combo Drive

Minimum 10 Per Store

The Gateway has IEEE 1394 and an S-Video connector, but I dunno if that helps. You talkin' about something like a TV tuner to connect your DirecTV service to the laptop? What exactly do 'ya use to connect your PVR to something? :confused:

Thanks! But not the laptop the 2 desktops in the ad I was wondering if they had the Personel Video Recorder already inside like the higher end desktops that you can connect your DirecTv to.

Thanks! But not the laptop the 2 desktops in the ad I was wondering if they had the Personel Video Recorder already inside like the higher end desktops that you can connect your DirecTv to.

Ah. That's what I get for posting in too many threads too much. :D

You're talkin' about recording digital video off of TV (Direc TV satellite signal), right? I don't think you need anything other than a TV tuner card. They come with software to record digital video from either the coaxial or A/V, and it should be compatable with DirecTV. Dunno if that helps or not. If it does, the $850 desktop from CC has that.

Ah. That's what I get for posting in too many threads too much. :D

You're talkin' about recording digital video off of TV (Direc TV satellite signal), right? I don't think you need anything other than a TV tuner card. They come with software to record digital video from either the coaxial or A/V, and it should be compatable with DirecTV. Dunno if that helps or not. If it does, the $850 desktop from CC has that.

Thats the answer I was looking for but I want to know if the 399 or the 849 desktop from bb has that installed.

Even the low end computers will do fine for what you are going to use it for. If you are going to be doing any video editing I would spend a little more money and get one that comes with Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Better spend a lil' more now and get one with a faster, mor efficient processor and more memory if there's gonna be plenty of video ripping/editing/burning. First, the cheaper 'puters don't come with a DVD burner, just a CD burner/DVD reader. And the better processor and memory you have the better the frame rate and quality of the videos will be when 'ya transfer 'em to your computer. It helps with editing as well. Not to mention you'll need plenty of hard drive space since true DV files are VERY large before 'ya burn 'em to DVD.

BF 2006 Desktop Comparison Chart updated!

Desktop Comparison Chart

Got specifics on all the desktops up there now. Only things missing are the CUsa desktops (obviously) and, for some reason, there's no known info on any of the eMachines or HP "Celeron D 352" desktops. Hmm. Anyone know why? Is that processor being completely discontinued or am I just blind?

Anyways, enjoy!

:D

BF 2006 Desktop Comparison Chart updated!

Desktop Comparison Chart

Got specifics on all the desktops up there now. Only things missing are the CUsa desktops (obviously) and, for some reason, there's no known info on any of the eMachines or HP "Celeron D 352" desktops. Hmm. Anyone know why? Is that processor being completely discontinued or am I just blind?

Anyways, enjoy!

:D

Thanks for the chart

I don't know if someone already answered this question but can we upgrade the monitor for the best buy compaq computer package ($399)? i Know it says the monitor is the HPVS15 so i figured that I might be able to upgrade it cuz it lists the model separately, but I am not sure if the package comes in one box.

thanks.....;)

Stationchief, Can you include the dell dimension 5150 desktop in your comparison chart, please?!?!?!? I am looking for a new desktop to replace our HP that is about 9 years old!! I have three children 10,7, and 5 who will be using it. They are using my laptop now and the memory is getting low because of all their games. Thank you:o

Stationchief, Can you include the dell dimension 5150 desktop in your comparison chart, please?!?!?!? I am looking for a new desktop to replace our HP that is about 9 years old!! I have three children 10,7, and 5 who will be using it. They are using my laptop now and the memory is getting low because of all their games. Thank you:o

Nine years, eh? Ah the memories of windows 95, 64MB RAM, 1.8 GB hard drive, etc. :runaway:

Well, I'm just including the desktops available on BF in that chart. The Dimension 5150 is online, on sale and available right now as Dell doesn't have BF deals. FYI, here's the specs:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 524 (3.06GHz, 533FSB)

19" E197FP Analog Flat Panel

512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

80GB 7200RPM SATA II Hard Drive

16X DVD-ROM Drive

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

1 Year On-site Economy Warranty Plan

Not the best BF-ish deal, but not bad for folks who can't wait in lines. Plus it's fully upgradable before 'ya check out. If 'ya have the money I suggest a CD burner, and if it's gonna be used for gaming by the kids might I recommend a larger hard drive, more memory, better speakers, and a much better graphics card.

If 'ya need any more specific info, fell free to PM. :D

thanks senpai, i'll check it out......;)

Which is a better deal?

The Staples $699 Desktop(Only 1GB RAM and 200GB HDD)

vs.

the OfficeMax $799 desktop(2GB RAM and 300GB HDD)

is the $100 dollars worth it for the memory and the 100gb of extra space??

or should I buy the 1gb memory separately and get the staples one?

i am planning on putting the ATI X1600 PCI-Express graphics card in one of these and using it for gaming, i think either one will be a decent gaming system.....

thanks senpai, i'll check it out......;)

Which is a better deal?

The Staples $699 Desktop(Only 1GB RAM and 200GB HDD)

vs.

the OfficeMax $799 desktop(2GB RAM and 300GB HDD)

is the $100 dollars worth it for the memory and the 100gb of extra space??

or should I buy the 1gb memory separately and get the staples one?

i am planning on putting the ATI X1600 PCI-Express graphics card in one of these and using it for gaming, i think either one will be a decent gaming system.....

Wow, they look almost identical except for the RAM and HD. I'm going with Staples since I have an inside connection there and won't have to stand in line or worry about them being out of stock. I was also checking out that ATI X1600 at Best Buy for $99. Looks like a good price but was reading some bad reviews on Newegg about it heating up and locking up. So now I'm not so sure. :g_shrug:

Newegg Reviews on ATI Video Card

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll200/14-102-682-02.jpg