>>> Official Black Friday DESKTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Can anybody tell me about the graphics card on the Compaq AMD Athlon 64 3700+ in Best Buy's ad?

They have a 3500+ and a 3800+ with a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE. Should I buy the ATI X1600 Pro 512MB AGP Graphics Card and upgrade it or do you think the built in one will be sufficient.

I'm in the same boat. The puter in the Best Buy ad uses an integrated chipset on the motherboard which shares RAM, there's no video card. As I understand it if you want better graphic capabilities and performance (gaming) then the ATI X1600 would be the way to go. However, if you're just going to be surfing the web and nothing graphic intensive then you don't really need an actual video card. If you decide to go with the video card then you'll want the PCI-E, though, not the AGP. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here. :gdlicklips:

What do you think of the Westinghouse 22" LCD Widescreen Monitor from Best Buy's ad for $199.99? It is normaly $499.99. It sounds like a great deal.

I'm definetly picking that up to use as a TV in my bedroom. Can't beat that deal with a stick. I'll probably be picking up the Emachines PC as well, not a bad little puter for the price. I'll use the 15" lcd for a computer in my garage and hook this one up to my 19" lcd with a separate ATI all in wonder 9600 I already have. Should be a pretty smokin system once I add more memory and a couple extra hard drives.

I'm in the same boat. The puter in the Best Buy ad uses an integrated chipset on the motherboard which shares RAM, there's no video card. As I understand it if you want better graphic capabilities and performance (gaming) then the ATI X1600 would be the way to go. However, if you're just going to be surfing the web and nothing graphic intensive then you don't really need an actual video card. If you decide to go with the video card then you'll want the PCI-E, though, not the AGP. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here. :gdlicklips:

No you are right I just copied and pasted the wrong card the Compaq doesn't come with a AGP slot. you want the ATI X1600 Pro 512MB PCIe Graphics Card

Looks like this is the $189.97 doorbuster desktop for BB. This one matches the ad rather well:

eMachines 352 Desktop with 15" LCD Monitor, Printer, Cable & Surge Protector

I bet that's it! I think I'll keep looking, not exactly what I want.

I went to BB tonight to find out about the one for $220 and he

said thay had one like and hour away and it was the display

and was $300 and something. Guess I'll have to keep searching!!!

Anyone know about the other desktops, like the one for $399

and $699?

Just saw the CC ad scan (someone else from another site bet GottaDeal to the post). GottaDeal has a few of the computers already posted. However, there's a lil' something I think folks should be made aware of, and I thought this would be as good of a place as any to post it.

Yes, there is a computer for what looks like $199 after all instant and mail-in rebates, and there is a laptp for $299 after instant/mail-ins. But, how badly would 'ya like that laptop for $99 after your mail-in rebate? How about that desktop for free after 'ya get your mail-in rebates? All depends on how much you like Vonage phone service. ;) Looks like at CC, if 'ya sign up for 12 months of Vonage 'ya get $200 instantly off of laptops and desktops. That makes the laptop $199 out the door ($99 after your $100 mail-in rebate), and after rebates 'ya get your money back for the desktop. Dunno much of anything beyond that since the details are still to come soon as the folks at GottaDeal can verify them. :D

I agree with you Stationchief. Considering we already have Vonage. I really like the no rebates at BB. After a careful look at the CC ad the desktop has $290.00 in Mail-in rebates to get the $199 price and you do not get an LCD monitor for that, just a flat screen. I know the 15" montior at BB is small but at least it is an LCD and the PC is $10 less than CC and no rebates.

I agree with you Stationchief. Considering we already have Vonage. I really like the no rebates at BB. After a careful look at the CC ad the desktop has $290.00 in Mail-in rebates to get the $199 price and you do not get an LCD monitor for that, just a flat screen. I know the 15" montior at BB is small but at least it is an LCD and the PC is $10 less than CC and no rebates.

For desktop buyers, I'd agree that BB seems to be the place. Dunno about the rebates yet, if they're instant like what BB usually does on BF, or mail-in like they do every other day of the year. CUsa is still to come and maybe it's got such a great deal it'll blow everyone outta the water. But 'till then, I'm looking forward to my closest BB store. :D

As for signing up for Vonage at CC, maybe some people are willing to do what most did with AOL last year: sign up for $15-20 a month just for the rebate and never use the service. I think they're gonna be stikier than AOL when it comes to cancelling service.

Can anyone give me the specs on the desktop being advertised in the BB ad??

Its really fuzzy and im blind :smart:

Its the eMachine package for 189.97 :P

Thanks alot!!

------------------------------------------------------

I just noticed someone posted the comuter they think it might be, to me it looks like a good computer.

Does anyone think its a good deal?

Can anyone give me the specs on the desktop being advertised in the BB ad??

Its really fuzzy and im blind :smart:

Its the eMachine package for 189.97 :P

Thanks alot!!

------------------------------------------------------

I just noticed someone posted the comuter they think it might be, to me it looks like a good computer.

Does anyone think its a good deal?

Yup. I did. :D

It's a pretty decent overall computer. It's versatile and will be good to do pretty much anything you want from internet to gaming. Plus 'ya get all the bells/whistles to go with it, with monitor and printer. It might have a bunch of mail-in rebates to deal with but we just don't know yet. If all the rebates are, in fact, instant ones, then it's a super deal for an all-around 'puter.

Personally, I don't care too much for the Celeron processors. They heat up too much (I like to leave my 'puter on all day/nite) and they're not designed for high-end stuff like video editing too well. They can do it, just not very well.

The differences between the e-machine computers at BB and CC are minor. The CC machine has a larger 160GB hard drive as opposed to 120GB for the BB model. The CC version also has a DVD dual-layer Burner as compared to the BB DVD player/CD burner. As was pointed out earlier, it comes with a 17" Crt monitor instead of the 15" LCD monitor from BB.

You also have to lay out $490 up front and wait for $290 in various rebates to get the price down to the advertised $199.97.

I'll be going to BestBuy unless CompUSA comes up with a better deal.

Yup. I did. :D

It's a pretty decent overall computer. It's versatile and will be good to do pretty much anything you want from internet to gaming. Plus 'ya get all the bells/whistles to go with it, with monitor and printer. It might have a bunch of mail-in rebates to deal with but we just don't know yet. If all the rebates are, in fact, instant ones, then it's a super deal for an all-around 'puter.

Personally, I don't care too much for the Celeron processors. They heat up too much (I like to leave my 'puter on all day/nite) and they're not designed for high-end stuff like video editing too well. They can do it, just not very well.

Thanks for the input, the Celeron's heat up faster.. hmm I have an older compaq presario right now plus I would love to get a laptop as well. I was just thinking for 189 you can't really beat the price. Indeed if they are instant rebates that would be a GREAT deal, but usually I don't have luck with BB here, usually they never received the item, already gave them out, or some other excuse. I didn't have to much luck with my laptop at WM either, perhaps Im just unlucky :confused:

Thanks again, I think when it comes out if its instant rebates and not limited I will try and get it.

;)

I told my wife we needed to get the desktop computer she told me that we have to many electronics already 2 really good laptops just bought a computer for my video editing and i would love to get the desktop computer they have so we will see if there are any sales on video games for psps then i will be at best buy getting my computer and video games for sons psp. Wife loves me heheheheheehehe

I told my wife we needed to get the desktop computer she told me that we have to many electronics already 2 really good laptops just bought a computer for my video editing and i would love to get the desktop computer they have so we will see if there are any sales on video games for psps then i will be at best buy getting my computer and video games for sons psp. Wife loves me heheheheheehehe

Sheesh. My wife wouldn't love me much longer if she found that many 'puters in our house. :eyepoppin I suggest to just use your video editing one for the videogames.

So what are the best processors? I always

believed that Pentiums were that best, I

was hoping for some Pentium 4s to be on BF

since the Core Duo came out. Also someone

told my husband at work that it wouldn't be

worth getting a new computer unless it had

Windows Vista in it, right now I have Win ME

I think Win XP would be fine! Anyone agree or

disagree?

jenna8110,

The Intel Pentium 4 is still a solid CPU but it's old. The Core Solo is better, Core Duo is better and Core 2 Duo is the best. This is assuming we're only discussing Intel.

Core 2 Duo > Core Duo > Core Solo > P4

Windows XP Home is leaps and bounds better than Windows ME which is the WORST operating system.

What's your budget for a new desktop?

I was hoping for something under $500,

but willing to got to 7 or 8. I don't have

to have intel, just my experience that they

are better. Like I said I have Win ME, a Celeron

and everything else that is old! My musts are

17' flat panel and a DVD burner. Any suggestions?

The one in BB BF ad for $699, is that

a good computer and a good deal?

The Core 2 Duo processors are top of the line. Seems like a great deal with a 17" LCD monitor, and from the sound/looks of it it should have a DVD burner and XP Media Center Edition for the O.S. witrh that free upgrade to Vista. It'd be a whole different world from older celerons and ... Windows ME?! :eek: Yikes!

Best Buy Compaq AMD Athlon 54 3700+ Desktop with 15" LCD $399.97

Can anyone provide more info. about the desktop?

Thank you.

I can provide some, and not in a good way.

My husband and I just bought that computer with a 17" flat panel (not the slim) plus an HP printer that came with it for...*gulp*....

umm....

*whispering* $329 before taxes. At Best Buy. In September.

*throwing BB BF list up in the air in disgust*

computer itself is great though