Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday MP3 PLAYER Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#151 elizabeth_irwin  OFFLINE  

elizabeth_irwin

• PipPipPip
  • 2 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 13, 2006 - 2:27 pm

could you post what it says it looks like you have to sign up

yeah, you have to sign up, but it is free - just register a user name and password.

the article is 2 pages long. you would be best to read it yourself, but here are a few paragraphs.

"So how is the Zune? It had better be pretty incredible to justify all of this hassle.

As it turns out, the player is excellent. It can’t touch the iPod’s looks or coolness, but it’s certainly more practical. It’s coated in slightly rubberized plastic, available in white, black or brown — yes, brown. It won’t turn heads, but it won’t get fingerprinty and scratched, either. It sounds just as good as the iPod.

... ... ...

Competition is good and all. But what, exactly, is the point of the Zune? It seems like an awful lot of duplication — in a bigger, heavier form with fewer features — just to indulge Microsoft’s “we want some o’ that” envy. Wireless sharing is the one big new idea — and if the public seems to respond, Apple could always add that to the iPod.

Then again, this is all standard Microsoft procedure. Version 1.0 of Microsoft Anything is stripped-down and derivative, but it’s followed by several years of slow but relentless refinement and marketing. Already, Microsoft says that new Zune features, models and accessories are in the pipeline.

For now, though, this game is for watching, not playing. It may be quite a while before brown is the new white."

#152 teresajoy  OFFLINE  

teresajoy

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 13, 2006 - 8:02 pm

Not sure if this is a good deal or not (i have a generic MP3 player) but Meijer has a coupon in their 2 week sale ad that says "30% off with coupon 30GB iPod, white or black, Reg. 249.99, Good only on Friday 11/10/2006" I've heard that iPods never go on sale, so is this a good deal or is it overpriced and then discounted 30%?

That was a TERRIFIC deal!!!! I got in line before 11, so I would be able to get one of the five they were keping under lock and key until the sale started at 12 AM. I was number 5 (whew!).

The 30GB Ipod came to $175, then I had 9 coupons for $20 off for buying Proctor and Gamble items, so I left the store paying a grand total of $0. Can't beat that deal!:eyepoppin :eyepoppin

#153 cbmae  OFFLINE  

cbmae

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 14, 2006 - 8:00 am

That was a TERRIFIC deal!!!! I got in line before 11, so I would be able to get one of the five they were keping under lock and key until the sale started at 12 AM. I was number 5 (whew!).

The 30GB Ipod came to $175, then I had 9 coupons for $20 off for buying Proctor and Gamble items, so I left the store paying a grand total of $0. Can't beat that deal!:eyepoppin :eyepoppin

My Meijer in Michigan had a big note on 11/10/06 that said they were out (which happened right away) and did not have rain checks. The other ipods (which were not on sale) were disappearing quickly. I had to go to 3 different Meijers to find the 2GB for $149. I used my 15% credit card deal and got $22 off, so it was worth it. Not sure why they're not keeping them in stock at Meijer, but it was the best deal I could find (so far). I didn't have the $$ last week to do the P&G deal, but it doesn't expire until 12/16 and I need the i-Home thingie too, so I may yet have time. I heard, though, I can get it cheaper at Costco.

#154 left210  OFFLINE  

left210

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 14, 2006 - 8:42 am

So which one do you think would be better for a teenager? The 4GB RCA from Walmart $88or the 6GB Phillips from Meijer $99.

#155 i.feature  OFFLINE  

i.feature

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 14, 2006 - 12:31 pm

Obviously it's what I'm used to

I think because you already have an established library in itunes. An ipod would be the best way to go. This way you have one library for the new player and your two existing players.

#156 mrn8  OFFLINE  

mrn8

Geekus Maximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,838 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2006 - 1:05 pm

I think because you already have an established library in itunes. An ipod would be the best way to go. This way you have one library for the new player and your two existing players.

Yep, if you already have money into iTunes songs, an iPod will be the easiest way to go. I much prefer the Zen Vision M to the iPod, however. If you want to spend the time burning your iTunes library to CD and then ripping back to wma or mp3 format, then go with an non-Apple product.

#157 jason  OFFLINE  

jason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2006 - 4:40 pm

I have been debating which one to buy since the summer. I still haven't decided. I have always seemed to lean towards The Zen vision M but I like the availablity of accessories that the Ipod has. Question:/// Can u use any of those Alarm Clock-Docking Stations that you see everwhere with any MP3 player besides the Ipod They both have came down in price but I would like to get one for below 200

#158 scottl  OFFLINE  

scottl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2006 - 5:11 pm

I bought a refurbished ipod shuffle for my younger cousin, 8 yrs old, at the apple store online for $29 plus $4 shipping. My cousin specified the ipod - because it's "cool" ;) There's a whole discussion on these in the online deals forum area.

Where on their site do you look?

#159 Ferg1221  OFFLINE  

Ferg1221

GottaDeal Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2006 - 5:48 pm

http://store.apple.c...&nclm=Certified

bottom left. Refurbished ipod.

#160 higbee  OFFLINE  

higbee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 14, 2006 - 6:04 pm

I want an mp3 player for downloading audio books only. Any suggestions??

#161 buttaflye  OFFLINE  

buttaflye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 14, 2006 - 6:58 pm

I just bought an ipod 30g two days ago and love it.I like itunes cause of the video podcasts
and there free.i also got Roxio Creator 9 two convert my own movies on to it and it works like charm.

I have a Roxio program on my new Dell desktop. Is this the same thing? Thanks!

#162 buttaflye  OFFLINE  

buttaflye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 14, 2006 - 7:03 pm

I think because you already have an established library in iTunes. An ipod would be the best way to go. This way you have one library for the new player and your two existing players.

Yep, if you already have money into iTunes songs, an iPod will be the easiest way to go. I much prefer the Zen Vision M to the iPod, however. If you want to spend the time burning your iTunes library to CD and then ripping back to wma or mp3 format, then go with an non-Apple product.

Thank you. I'm leaning towards the Ipod, but darn that damn radio feature:tongue1: I don't have that much on Itunes right now and my mini died last week (warranty has expired). I'm still going to take my time with this.

#163 pmdemey  OFFLINE  

pmdemey

I'm Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 15, 2006 - 5:07 am

:gdbacktopic: Where is a good Mp3 Player. The kids here hate the ipods.

#164 kellyd  OFFLINE  

kellyd

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 15, 2006 - 6:39 am

Someone had mentioned earlier about Best Buy giving $25.00 gift cards when you purchase a Nano. Is this right? I looked on the site and see nothing.

#165 scottl  OFFLINE  

scottl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 15, 2006 - 9:17 am

Someone had mentioned earlier about Best Buy giving $25.00 gift cards when you purchase a Nano. Is this right? I looked on the site and see nothing.

I can't put in a link yet but if you go under the Best Buy add on this site and about 1/2 way down the first page, you'll see "Free $25 Gift Card with Apple iPod Nano 4GB MP3 Player". Click on the camera icon to see the add.

#166 Josher5513  OFFLINE  

Josher5513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 15, 2006 - 12:35 pm

Yes, on Black Friday at Best Buy.. Buy a Nano at $200, receive a $25 gift card, good for future purchases...

btw, I ended up buying my iPod yesterday, and after arguing with a BB Manager, I was able to purchase it for $17 (tax)....... I'm extremely impressed with it.

#167 ashley1013  OFFLINE  

ashley1013

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 15, 2006 - 5:04 pm

they dont have the $29 ipods up anymore :( and i needed 2 of them :mad:

#168 scottl  OFFLINE  

scottl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 15, 2006 - 6:36 pm

Yes, on Black Friday at Best Buy.. Buy a Nano at $200, receive a $25 gift card, good for future purchases...

btw, I ended up buying my iPod yesterday, and after arguing with a BB Manager, I was able to purchase it for $17 (tax)....... I'm extremely impressed with it.

Must have been a hell of an argument to get an IPOD for $17.

#169 buttaflye  OFFLINE  

buttaflye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 15, 2006 - 7:22 pm

Check EVERY morning. I promise, with a little patience, you'll get it. They come and go on the site almost daily or everyother day as Apple gets more. Good luck!

#170 buttaflye  OFFLINE  

buttaflye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 16, 2006 - 2:04 am

Ashley, go to the site! There are back this morning! Good luck!

#171 juanadeal  OFFLINE  

juanadeal

Hooked on Deals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 16, 2006 - 7:29 am

Can someone compare these two specs and tell me if there is a huge difference in the two. One is from the refurbished ipod I just ordered and the other is from the new one. Thanks.

Refurbished 30gb Video Support specs:

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

New 30gb specs

H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Low-Complexity Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

We're not big techies but if there will be a big difference in quality between the two, I might cancel my order and get a new one from Target.

#172 jedigirl21  OFFLINE  

jedigirl21

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 16, 2006 - 10:10 am

Can someone compare these two specs and tell me if there is a huge difference in the two. One is from the refurbished ipod I just ordered and the other is from the new one. Thanks.

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

New 30gb specs

H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Low-Complexity Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

We're not big techies but if there will be a big difference in quality between the two, I might cancel my order and get a new one from Target.

Bumping this up.......I have the same question.........anyone have the answer? Thanks.

#173 jadedmomof2  OFFLINE  

jadedmomof2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 16, 2006 - 3:32 pm

Oops, posted in the main forum. My mp3 player died, so I am in the market for a new one. Target has a Memorex 2gb for $64, Walmart has an RCA 5gb for $88(or 87..) and Office Max has a Sandisk 1gb for $49. My one requirement is an FM tuner. And please..don't suggest that stupid Ipod Shuffle. It is too small, and I like being able to see the song titles.

#174 mombbsmj  OFFLINE  

mombbsmj

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 16, 2006 - 7:41 pm

Stay far, far away from the Memorex. I bought 2 last year from Target for my kids for Christmas. Neither one of the batteries would charge. I tried and tried to contact customer service (too late to take them back to Target) at Memorex and it was absolutely impossible. They don't answer the 800 number nor emails. They are sitting here as paper weights at the moment. I am planning on buying new MP3 players this Christmas and will NEVER buy Memorex again. Absolutely NO product support.

#175 BigSlama912  OFFLINE  

BigSlama912

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 16, 2006 - 8:17 pm

Yea... I doubt the ipod go on sale... Apple never puts anything on sale!

#176 threelittlecupcakes  OFFLINE  

threelittlecupcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 17, 2006 - 6:22 am

Why the heck was he arguing with you? Heck the shouldn't be doing those BBB if they aren't willing to take them. Glad you stuck to your guns.

#177 scottl  OFFLINE  

scottl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 17, 2006 - 7:05 am

New 30gb specs

I'll try to answer. It looks like the main difference is the new one has a better picture quality display (640x480) vs (320x240).

#178 juanadeal  OFFLINE  

juanadeal

Hooked on Deals

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 17, 2006 - 8:48 am

I'll try to answer. It looks like the main difference is the new one has a better picture quality display (640x480) vs (320x240).

Thanks Scott! I was hoping it wouldn't be something like that. I know they did sell at least one refurbished 5th generation ipod but I don't want to take my chances and wait for it again. Now I'm in a pickle because it hasn't even shipped yet so I know I won't have it before BF and if we do get it and aren't thrilled, then we're out the 10% restocking fee. What to do, what to do:no:

#179 LuckyLadyGSP  OFFLINE  

LuckyLadyGSP

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 17, 2006 - 9:59 am

Oops, posted in the main forum.

My mp3 player died, so I am in the market for a new one.

Target has a Memorex 2gb for $64, Walmart has an RCA 5gb for $88(or 87..) and Office Max has a Sandisk 1gb for $49. My one requirement is an FM tuner. And please..don't suggest that stupid Ipod Shuffle. It is too small, and I like being able to see the song titles.

I got one of the Sandisks from Best Buy last year (it was an early bird for 39.99 last year and is only $34.99 early bird this year) and it has worked great for me. It does have the fm tuner that gets really good reception and you can see the song information. It is small and lightweight...perfect for armbard (comes with one) wearing runners, like me. :gdrunner:

#180 msharpsteen  OFFLINE  

msharpsteen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 17, 2006 - 10:34 am

Samsung XM NeXus Satellite Radio / MP3 Player $29.99 at CC-anybody know anything about these? I know my husband and I both are going to get xm for Christmas this year, but he also wanted an mp3 player...This looks perfect! I know the NeXus 25 that WM has doesn't play live xm, you have to record it, but it looks like this one does-am I wrong? And do you think I'll have to camp out for this price? I'm quite pregnant, was hoping to wait until 3 or 4 am to head out this year...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users