Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday MP3 PLAYER Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#61 Ferg1221  OFFLINE  

Ferg1221

GottaDeal Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 3:30 am

2 gb Nano goes for $149 on the apple website, with free shipping and engraving.

#62 tmkuroda  OFFLINE  

tmkuroda

Laptop Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 3:31 am

2 gb Nano goes for $149 on the apple website, with free shipping and engraving.

Thanks! I was looking at them 2 days ago and couldn't remember if it was 1 or 2 gig:)
Tina

ps personally I am buying one of the red ones for my sons friend. It is larger then 2 gig and $199 I believe.

#63 flea  OFFLINE  

flea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 5:39 am

I would suggest the first thing you buy after your ipod purchase is a GOOD quality case for it. My son goes skateboarding with his Ipod and knock on wood (knock knock knock) nothing has happened to it.
One other thing I want to add ...have you just ever held an ipod? it has this weight to it that makes it feel expensive like you really own something wonderful... I guess it is hard to explain :) Most people who talk bad about ipods are not ipod owners since the reason ipods do so well is because of repeat customer buying.I know people who have 4 gens of Ipods and they are all still working.
Tina

THANKS! I will definitely look into getting a case for them. You also can't beat the way they look. One of my daughters is getting the pink one and the other the lime. I would rather get them the silver for $149 but those bright colors are sooooo pretty. I was wanting the blue one for myself but just saw the limited edition red on online!!!

#64 flea  OFFLINE  

flea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 5:40 am

Thanks! I was looking at them 2 days ago and couldn't remember if it was 1 or 2 gig:)
Tina

ps personally I am buying one of the red ones for my sons friend. It is larger then 2 gig and $199 I believe.

I think it is 4 gig and I want that one for myself!

#65 tmc  OFFLINE  

tmc

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 7:48 am

Sorry to all the fans out there.. sorry to burst the ipod love fest, but to hell with the ipod & apple already..! 1st, they have too much marketshare 2nd, competitors products are starting to get better (look at creative zen) 3rd, unless you are technology illiterate, you don't 'need' an ipod product; there are plenty of low cost alternative products Besides, the more Apple sees their marketshare slip, they will fight back, eventually by making a better product. BUT THAT MEANS STOP BUYING IT FIRST!! If your a smart consumer you'll scrooge them this holiday season, and force them to innovate.

#66 Ferg1221  OFFLINE  

Ferg1221

GottaDeal Dad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 8:56 am

Sorry to all the fans out there.. sorry to burst the ipod love fest, but to hell with the ipod & apple already..!
1st, they have too much marketshare
2nd, competitors products are starting to get better (look at creative zen)
3rd, unless you are technology illiterate, you don't 'need' an ipod product; there are plenty of low cost alternative products
Besides, the more Apple sees their marketshare slip, they will fight back, eventually by making a better product. BUT THAT MEANS STOP BUYING IT FIRST!! If your a smart consumer you'll scrooge them this holiday season, and force them to innovate.

By buying the ipod, customers have forced the competitors to make a better product to match ipod.:smart:

#67 flea  OFFLINE  

flea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 10:21 am

Sorry to all the fans out there.. sorry to burst the ipod love fest, but to hell with the ipod & apple already..!
3rd, unless you are technology illiterate, you don't 'need' an ipod product; there are plenty of low cost alternative products
Besides, the more Apple sees their marketshare slip, they will fight back, eventually by making a better product. BUT THAT MEANS STOP BUYING IT FIRST!! If your a smart consumer you'll scrooge them this holiday season, and force them to innovate.

I really, really wanted to purchase something other than the ipod this year for my daughters because I did not want to spend the $$$. Like I said in another post I almost decided on the creative zen and they were for under $100, alot more reasonable. However, as I read more and more I started to lean towards the ipod. I read ALOT of reviews and articles. I went through tons of Amazon reviews and websites. I REALLY wanted to buy the Zen and I have a good friend who loves her Zen and her whole family has Zen. Still.....when the new nanos came out just recently, I couldnt walk away. They were calling to me!!!!!! :)

#68 sevirj  OFFLINE  

sevirj

Back In Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 10:22 am

I agree. Why spend more money for the "hype" of owning an iPod? :confused:

The Mp3 player we bought our daughter for Christmas has more than enough storage space for her needs, supports more file formats, AND has an audio recorder and FM tuner built in!

Plus, why pay more for a "proprietary" song on iTunes when you can buy the same song for less for any other Mp3 player from places like Wal-Mart. :smart:

#69 tmkuroda  OFFLINE  

tmkuroda

Laptop Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 12:37 pm

Like I said before.. The Non Ipod owners are the haters:) Yes the more expensive Creatives are getting better but in almost every review they still come out either below or the same as an ipod. My foster daughter was the same way before she moved in here.. Always hating on the ipods saying "It is JUST the name..That is why so many people buy them" She owned a Creative Zen. But when she accidentally washed that Zen and I bought her a refurbished Ipod Nano she was SO excited. The last time I heard her talk about Ipods she was telling her friends "Just shut up and buy an ipod. It is not JUST the name" ha ha OH and TMC.. You think apple has to much marketshare of the mp3 player scene? Do you want apple to go out of business and then see how out of control Microsoft becomes? Gez talk about too much marketshare! ha ha you can buy/get songs from other places and not just itunes. Itunes is not JUST a place to buy music and video's it is also a software that happens to uploads the songs to ipods. Tina ok I admit it I am a laptop/ipod queen:)

#70 xslicricx  OFFLINE  

xslicricx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 18, 2006 - 7:20 pm

I dunno I just find it a bit stupid to pay for some overpriced Ipod just because of some freakin name. I bought a used 20 GB Archos Jukebox off of ebay for $99 almost a year and a half ago and it's still going strong. I'm looking for something with more storage and video capability but there is no way in hell that I'm gonna run out and buy an Ipod. Why just b/c it's the cool thing. Everything is so biased towards them it's not even funny. Look at Cnet's reviews, oh it can do this and that but look what the Ipod can do. $199 for a 4gb Ipod what a joke.

#71 kren  OFFLINE  

kren

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 28, 2006 - 7:19 pm

Anyone want to predict if this is going on sale on BF? Creative Zen Micro Photo 8 GB MP3 Player. It's $189 at Amazon; my stepdaughter says it would rock her world to have it for Xmas....

#72 jenna8110  OFFLINE  

jenna8110

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 28, 2006 - 7:32 pm

Ipods will never go on sale, unless either:

A) They're refurbished
or
B) The seller is okay with losing money off the sale.

Simply, because Apple is not only the developer of the Ipod, but also the sole seller (except for the outlets it allows to sell the iPod, and when they sell it at said prices, they make VERY little money off of it, so lowering the price would = losing money for them)..

Any questions?

I have 2 1st 2g gen ipod nanos on layway at Walmart for $129.00 each.

#73 Elizabethg  OFFLINE  

Elizabethg

• PipPipPip
  • 1 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 29, 2006 - 6:46 am

Any idea when the 80GB models would drop to $249? I see them selling for about $100 more than that everywhere right now. Thks

#74 porter  OFFLINE  

porter

• PipPipPip
  • 2 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 29, 2006 - 6:54 am

has anyone heard about dvd players this year from anywhere

#75 Julez  OFFLINE  

Julez

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 29, 2006 - 6:54 am

I'm not brand loyal by any means. I just want a flash-based mp3 player under $70 with at least 1 GB. I'm buying 2 this year - one for me and one for DH.

#76 crystalhicks  OFFLINE  

crystalhicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 30, 2006 - 7:51 am

My 11 year old daughter wants an ipod or mp3 player. I do not want to spend too much on it and was thinking of going with the mp3 player b/c it is cheaper. What is the difference in the 2? Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks

#77 flea  OFFLINE  

flea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 30, 2006 - 8:54 am

My 11 year old daughter wants an ipod or mp3 player. I do not want to spend too much on it and was thinking of going with the mp3 player b/c it is cheaper. What is the difference in the 2? Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Ipods are Mp3 players and depending on who you talk to they are either overhyped and overpriced or they are the most fantastic Mp3 player ever created.

Go to the apple (ipod) website and check out their refurbished models. I have heard good things about them and they come with a 1yr warranty. I bought 2 ipod shuffles for my 12 and 11yo daughters from there for $29/piece. You cannot beat that price. They are not the fancy ones with a screen but how fancy does it need to be for a kid? I also like the shuffles because they can be worn around the neck. At that price they will have more stuff under the tree and not just an expensive ipod. :)

#78 LynnTH  OFFLINE  

LynnTH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 30, 2006 - 9:01 am

I too just ordered the Ipon Shuffles from the Apple Website also. One for my 7 year old son, who has been begging for one, the other I may just use myself. You can't beat that price and you still get the 1 year warranty.

#79 flea  OFFLINE  

flea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 30, 2006 - 9:05 am

I too just ordered the Ipon Shuffles from the Apple Website also. One for my 7 year old son, who has been begging for one, the other I may just use myself. You can't beat that price and you still get the 1 year warranty.

I posted this elsewhere....can't remember where but Amazon also has the portable case/speaker for the shuffle at $32. The regular price was around $70.

#80 LynnTH  OFFLINE  

LynnTH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 30, 2006 - 9:13 am

I posted this elsewhere....can't remember where but Amazon also has the portable case/speaker for the shuffle at $32. The regular price was around $70.

This looks pretty cool. I have to look into ordering that. Does it also charge the ipod or just play it without the earphones??

#81 flea  OFFLINE  

flea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 30, 2006 - 9:29 am

This looks pretty cool. I have to look into ordering that. Does it also charge the ipod or just play it without the earphones??

I am pretty sure it charges as well. I need to go look at it again.

#82 flea  OFFLINE  

flea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 30, 2006 - 9:30 am

Here ya go: Technical Details * Built in iPod shuffle Docking Station Connector for playing iTunes and recharging the shuffle. * Recharges iPod shuffle while docked and plugged in via AC adapter. * Storage compartment for iPod shuffle and for earbuds when not in use. * Powered by standard 4AA batteries. AC adapter included. * Durable hard cover case to store and protect you're built in speakers and your iPod shuffle

#83 LynnTH  OFFLINE  

LynnTH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 30, 2006 - 9:48 am

Here ya go:

Technical Details

* Built in iPod shuffle Docking Station Connector for playing iTunes and recharging the shuffle.
* Recharges iPod shuffle while docked and plugged in via AC adapter.
* Storage compartment for iPod shuffle and for earbuds when not in use.