Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

>>> Official Black Friday MP3 PLAYER Discussion Thread <<<

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 22,171 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 5, 2006 - 6:43 am

This is the official thread for Black Friday related discussion of MP3 players, regardless of if the items are actually in ads or not.

This post will be updated with information about MP3 players that appear in Black Friday ads as they are released.

As this thread will likely get very long, if you are responding to a specific question or comment, please quote that post to keep the thread easy to follow.

If you are looking for a deal before Black Friday on a specific MP3 player, post in our Deal Finder Service board and others can help you out.

If you are looking for gift suggestions, please post in our GottaDeal Gift Finder board.

Threads posted about MP3 players in the Black Friday Discussion forum will likely be merged into this forum, so to help out the admins and mods, please keep all discussion in this thread.

#2 cherry33778  OFFLINE  

cherry33778

Black Friday Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 8, 2006 - 3:37 pm

I would truley love to have an Ipod for Christmas, but I would definitely not pay $400 for one. First of all that would practically be my whole budget, secondly it is really not worth it. So I for one would be excited if they went on sale this year. :) Anyone else?

#3 happysunshine28  OFFLINE  

happysunshine28

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 8, 2006 - 3:39 pm

I sure hope so, my dd wants one this year.

#4 Josher5513  OFFLINE  

Josher5513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 8, 2006 - 4:03 pm

Ipods will never go on sale, unless either: A) They're refurbished or B) The seller is okay with losing money off the sale. Simply, because Apple is not only the developer of the Ipod, but also the sole seller (except for the outlets it allows to sell the iPod, and when they sell it at said prices, they make VERY little money off of it, so lowering the price would = losing money for them).. Any questions?

#5 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 22,171 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 8, 2006 - 4:08 pm

Amazon usually has them on sale for 5-10% off the list price with free shipping. On Black Friday, while you most likely won't see them on sale, many stores will throw in free items with purchase.

#6 Rebirth  OFFLINE  

Rebirth

Half of My Heart

• 3,444 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 8, 2006 - 4:10 pm

Even Best Buy employees don't get discounts on the iPods. Best bet is on Buy.com and Amazon.com, they're usually under retail. It's no more than $30 off. The best thing is they don't charge tax and it's free shipping.

#7 Aaron  OFFLINE  

Aaron

• 4,343 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 8, 2006 - 4:14 pm

Yeah, there are some items that are NEVER on sell period. I knew this one store that was going out-of-business and they sold Croc's and I wanted some - so I went and they whole store was 70% and the Corc's were full price. I'm not why these type products are like this, but normally you will not find them on sell. I believe that Apple does have a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale or atleast I think they did last year.

#8 Rebirth  OFFLINE  

Rebirth

Half of My Heart

• 3,444 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 8, 2006 - 4:17 pm

Yeah, there are some items that are NEVER on sell period. I knew this one store that was going out-of-business and they sold Croc's and I wanted some - so I went and they whole store was 70% and the Corc's were full price.

I'm not why these type products are like this, but normally you will not find them on sell. I believe that Apple does have a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale or atleast I think they did last year.

That Apple sale was terrible.

#9 Aaron  OFFLINE  

Aaron

• 4,343 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 8, 2006 - 4:19 pm

That Apple sale was terrible.

Very true - I didn't stick around to find out what was "on sale" or whatever. I didn't figure they'd be coming off much.

BTW, If you're in college or you're an educator - you get discounts on Apple products, not much - but a discount.

#10 Rebirth  OFFLINE  

Rebirth

Half of My Heart

• 3,444 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 8, 2006 - 5:06 pm

Very true - I didn't stick around to find out what was "on sale" or whatever. I didn't figure they'd be coming off much.

BTW, If you're in college or you're an educator - you get discounts on Apple products, not much - but a discount.

I usually use the student discount. Best deal you can get.

#11 jbearcbear  OFFLINE  

jbearcbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 8, 2006 - 5:35 pm

I usually use the student discount. Best deal you can get.

where and how do I get the student discount? I am currently in college, and would love to know. ty.

#12 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 8, 2006 - 5:38 pm

where and how do I get the student discount? I am currently in college, and would love to know. ty.

Apple education discount

#13 elena_398  OFFLINE  

elena_398

• 11,745 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 11, 2006 - 7:07 am

My son wants one, but thankfully my parents are buying one for him. I think hes going to get the Nano (nothing too fancy as hes only 11)

#14 bugsette  OFFLINE  

bugsette

• 5,598 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 11, 2006 - 12:57 pm

I know I would like to get one. we have a bank around here Key Bank if you open a checking account witht them they are giving one out...have not gone into the bank to see it though

#15 Aaron  OFFLINE  

Aaron

• 4,343 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 11, 2006 - 1:00 pm

For a link to that deal, click here - https://www.key.com/...LP-natnano.html

Here is the fine print..

*You must open a Key Express Free Checking (this is the basic banking account in NY), Key Advantage Checking or a Key Privilege Checking account (offer excludes Student Checking) between July 23, 2006, and September 16, 2006, and have a direct deposit transaction or obtain a KeyBank credit card (excludes Student credit card) by October 31, 2006, and you will receive your iPod within 60 days of meeting the requirements. Offer available to individuals without an existing checking account at KeyBank. Employees of KeyBank, its affiliates and subsidiaries are not eligible for this offer. Limit one free iPod nano per individual. Free iPod nano offer valid until September 16, 2006, or while supplies last. The value of the iPod nano will be reported on Form 1099-INT. iPod® nano is a registered trademark of Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved. Apple is not a participant of this promotion.

**If you close your account within 180 days of account opening, you will be charged a $25 account early closure fee. Other miscellaneous charges may apply.

†Maintain $10,000 or more in any combination of qualifying accounts and the monthly maintenance service charge is waived. All loans and lines of credit are subject to credit approval.

‡Maintain $25,000 or more in any combination of qualifying accounts, including sweep balances, deposits, investments, credit balances and retirement accounts, and the monthly maintenance service charge of $25 is waived. The Key Privilege checking account is automatically set up with this interest-bearing, FDIC-insured deposit account as the sweep option.

1Credit cards are issued by Citibank (South Dakota) N.A. Subject to credit approval. Additional Terms and conditions apply.

2Normal account service charges still apply.

#16 civicracinggirl7  OFFLINE  

civicracinggirl7

• 1,143 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 11, 2006 - 1:51 pm

You could go with the shuffle or the nano. ($149 and under) Target.com has them, so you can use a 10% off target code if you don't qualify for the Apple student discount. Of course, I haven't seen free shipping on anything worthwhile on target's site since last year.

#17 bugsette  OFFLINE  

bugsette

• 5,598 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 11, 2006 - 5:29 pm

thanks for the info

#18 CrisMase  OFFLINE  

CrisMase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 11, 2006 - 6:43 pm

Just a word to the wise apple has a big press confrence coming tomorrow, which many people believe there will be a new ipod coming out, and be in stores for the holidays season. This may result in some discount of current gen stuff in some retailers, unlikely but possible.

#19 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,971 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 11, 2006 - 7:10 pm

There is normally a small discount on older generation stuff, but it doesn't stay around for long. Typically, you won't see much of a discount on these. They tend to just be replaced by a newer model to keep the price point high.

#20 momof2many  OFFLINE  

momof2many

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 12, 2006 - 6:17 am

I was wondering that myself... But I want it...But I dont get to have much me time, so I doubt I would use it.

#21 jadedmomof2  OFFLINE  

jadedmomof2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 12, 2006 - 6:20 am

That's why I refused to buy an Ipod. Besides, I got a 1gb Samsung player with FM tune(and voice recording) for $75 at Target on clearance. I'm happy with it. My son is bugging for an Ipod too, but really..I don't trust him with something that small, and expensive.

#22 Guest_Frieked_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_Frieked_*
  • Member since --

Posted Sep 12, 2006 - 6:34 am

You can sometimes find "previous generation" ipods for less right around the time they release something new because everyone wants what's new. For example when the nano came out the ipod mini's went on sale.

#23 Rebirth  OFFLINE  

Rebirth

Half of My Heart

• 3,444 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 12, 2006 - 8:02 am

You can sometimes find "previous generation" ipods for less right around the time they release something new because everyone wants what's new.
For example when the nano came out the ipod mini's went on sale.

But those Mini's had a big resale value last year once they were out the market. The pink ones had the highest resale value.

#24 Aaron  OFFLINE  

Aaron

• 4,343 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 12, 2006 - 10:48 am

The Apple Showtime event is over and here’s the highlights: * 75 movies are available to download now from iTunes, at an initial cost of $12.99 for the first week and $14.99 after that. Preordered titles will be $12.99 and older movies will be $9.99. * Future releases will be available the same day that DVDs are released. * Dowloads will take about 30 minutes but can be watched during file transfer. * Image resolution is 640 x 480. * The movies will only be available in the US until 2007. * DRM for movies is the same as it has been for iTunes TV shows. * A wireless set top box for TV, tentatively called iTV, will launch in the first quarter of 2007. It will be half the size of a Mac Mini, it will include USB, ethernet, 802.11b/g, component video, optical audio and HDMI. It will be controlled by the Apple remote. * iPod announcements included $4 games for the iPod, longer battery life and brighter screens and an 80GB model with prices starting at $249. * The new Nanos will come in 5 new colors, have a 24 hour battery life and up to 8GB capacity. * The Shuffle has been completely redesigned, now comes with an aluminum case and costs $79.

#25 jenilyn  OFFLINE  

jenilyn

Huh?

• 1,205 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 12, 2006 - 11:13 am

My son wants one, but thankfully my parents are buying one for him. I think hes going to get the Nano (nothing too fancy as hes only 11)

IMHO... not that you asked,,,LOL
My son (12) has a Nano. Just be advise they are rather ornery, if the battery isnt charged just so it doesnt work properly and seems to freeze, sometimes it wont shut off, and we've had to reset it once since Xmas to original factory presets.... its just a charging/ needing to be on the charger thing.
DONT GET FRUSTRATED WITH IT>>>>>>> its a great lil gadget, and he takes it everywhere he goes with few exceptions. Like a life support system to him..
Didnt mean to butt in... Jen
OH!!! And I have a shuffle, VERY unfancy but I LOVE IT......so simple my lil guy uses it with no problem. Had one since they came out, no problems with it ever. Doesnt have a display screen but I think worth the cash....

#26 sanam  OFFLINE  

sanam

Take a Chill Pill !

• 1,059 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 12, 2006 - 11:23 am

hubby wants a new ipod and today they announced that they are discontuing the 1gb one and 2gb one will be cheaper than before !!!

#27 dessenma  OFFLINE  

dessenma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 12, 2006 - 4:33 pm

I hope they do discount the 1gb and 2gb. My son's was stolen at school and I want to replace it for him. (It won't go to school again though-he knew better) My step son would like one also.

#28 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 22,171 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 14, 2006 - 12:09 am

Nice deal on 2GB iPod nanos (refurbished) direct from Apple:

http://forums.gottad...ead.php?t=47919

#29 Aaron  OFFLINE  

Aaron

• 4,343 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 14, 2006 - 11:50 am

Yeah! That is a pretty good deal!%@#

#30 shanni  OFFLINE  

shanni

• 3,447 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 14, 2006 - 1:57 pm

http://www.amazon.co...8782212?ie=UTF8

I just bought this for my daughter, it's nice because there is no tax at amazon! I had a 20 GC, took the change I found around the house, put it in the coinstar machine and got a 55 GC. Used both of those and ended up paying 44.99!

I have a shuffle, and that thing has been dropped, and even attacked by my cats and it's still works great! I got it for free with the Charles Schwabb visa deal they did last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users